Euro 08 Quarterfinals: Netherlands vs Russia

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Re: Euro 08 Quarterfinals: Netherlands vs Russia 

Post#41 » by wilt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Yeaaaaahhhhhh :D :D :D Russia !!!!

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,120

Post#42 » by magik9113 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Rasheeed!!! wrote:Hiddink is a just a genius.....his greatest win so far.

1st Game against Spain and Russia looked like crap but now they are ballin. Hopefully they get a re-match.

they actually had a lott of chances that game too. Their D was awful though
T-dot Raps
Lead Assistant
And1: 258

Post#43 » by T-dot Raps » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Wow, sucks Netherlands didn't go through. Can't say the Russians didn't deserve it, they played very well.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,448

Post#44 » by Slava » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 pm

I watched from the start of 2nd half and wow what an amazing game by Russia. So well organized and extremely incisive in their attacking moves. Arshavin and Pavlyuchenko are a great attacking pair and Hiddink does it again.

Why didn't Robben play btw? He should have added that final cutting edge to all the build up play that was going unfinished with the Dutch and Van Persie isn't as good to play that role. Anyways their defense had to bite them sooner than later.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#45 » by wilt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Hiddink = best national coach ever ?

Russia is going to be a force for years. Young squad, great coach, domestic league improving greatly with a lot of money being put in. Plus they have the advantage of having the big tournaments in midseason and not at the end of the season.
So be afraid, be very afraid.

j-far wrote:
Why didn't Robben play btw? .

old groin injury again i heard ...

In the end Holland played 1 striker and like 5 playmaking midfielders and no defensive midfield to speak of...

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#46 » by BlackMamba » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:22 pm

WOW!!!! i really thought netherlands was going to turn around the game, but the russians clearly dominated the WHOLE game.

i think that for the extra time netherlands was trying to keep their energy for the PK and russia have great physical condition.

and arshavin is a GREAT player, i love his energy.

i am willing to state that arshavin and pavlyuchenko will be playing for chelsea next season. or at least one of the top teams of england, italy or spain, no less than that. getting to the semis and the way they played raised their value.

and hiddink is an awesome coach, one of the best in recent times. he hasn't won that many tournaments or medals, but he makes EVERY team he coaches a competitive team, an aggressive, energetic and offensive team.

will i dare and say... russia-turkey the final...
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,631

Post#47 » by GQStylin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:26 pm

The Dutch are certainly not the Turks. It looked like they gave up after Russia scored the second goal. The urgency to come back and tie didn't seem to be there like it was with Turkey for some reason. Seemed Russia controlled the play most of the overtime.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,448

Post#48 » by Slava » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:34 pm

wilt wrote:Hiddink = best national coach ever ?

Russia is going to be a force for years. Young squad, great coach, domestic league improving greatly with a lot of money being put in. Plus they have the advantage of having the big tournaments in midseason and not at the end of the season.
So be afraid, be very afraid.

j-far wrote:
Why didn't Robben play btw? .

old groin injury again i heard ...

In the end Holland played 1 striker and like 5 playmaking midfielders and no defensive midfield to speak of...

That just sucks for him and the Dutch. He just can't stay healthy. Reminds me of our own glass man, Louis Saha. :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#49 » by SashAlex » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Just wow ! Russia is impressing more and more ! Vpered Rossia !
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#50 » by UrbanLegendMD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:37 pm

We won!!! Unbelievable game by the Russians. Vpered!
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
Jedini
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#51 » by Jedini » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Air Canada wrote:Russia deserved to win, Holland didnt play well at all

I would say the Russians showed that they are the better team. Not only today... in general. They smoked them there! Dutch side can consider themselves lucky it wasn't more behind Saars Back. :nod:
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#52 » by BlackMamba » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:11 pm

what's vpered?
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#53 » by UrbanLegendMD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:16 pm

BlackMamba wrote:what's vpered?

Kinda like Let's Go! but has a lot more force in it when you say it cause it's one word.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#54 » by Point forward » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:18 pm

MARCO VAN BASTEN = AVERY JOHNSON

Boy, I just came back from public viewing, and the Dutch sucked big donkey balls. MVB showed why he is about the worst KO game coach in the game. The Dutch played as if their drinks were spiked with chloroform, gutless and bloodless. Kuyt was nonexistent, Sneijder a big gutless whiner and MVB clearly choked on his subs. Bringing in center back Heitinga for right back Boulahrouz and instead putting OOIJER at the flank (who is 34 yrs old and runs the 100 yard dash in 15s) was a joke, and then subbing the easily best player in the NED midfield (Engelaar) for Afellay (about the 4th or 5th offensive midfielder and not a pure deep striker like Huntelaar or Vennegoor) was flat out (Please Use More Appropriate Word)..,. and ALREADY IN THE 60. MINUTE?!?? They sucked, sucked and sucked. No ball movement, no running game, no deep crosses, no nothing. The goal was luck.

The Russians played as expected. They got lucky with the Kolodin situation (could EASILY have been sent off), but also earned their luck. They were the better team and actually played as a TEAM, whereas the Dutch actions were so piecemeal. Again, soccer justice was served.

Tip for you Dutchies: get rid of Marco Van Basten and it could have been worse "want dit keer is de pijn bespaard gebleven in the halve finales uitgeschakeld te worden" :) (sorry, had to say it...)
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#55 » by Whiteman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Meh.

Disapponting game from our side, great game from the Russians. They knew exactly how to defend us, and their offense (Arshavin) was too much to handle. I hope they win it all.

Damn you, Guus! :curse:
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#56 » by tkb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:31 pm

Incredible performance by Russia. Very impressive game from them. Netherlands were among my favorites so kinda bummed that they lost, but Russia was clearly better tonight.

Italy - Germany in the finals!
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#57 » by Point forward » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Whiteman wrote:Meh.

Disapponting game from our side, great game from the Russians. They knew exactly how to defend us, and their offense (Arshavin) was too much to handle. I hope they win it all.

Damn you, Guus! :curse:

Here a nice Dutch fan quote:

"En ze hebben het puur aan zichzelf te danken. Het leken wel een stel zoutzakken, geen beweging in te krijgen.En van Basten valt ook behoorlijk door de mand door z'n team de wedstrijd uit te laten spelen in hetzelfde systeem, terwijl de Russen het middenveld duidelijk in handen hadden..."

That guy is spot on. "Puur an zichzelf te danken, stel zoutzakken" :lol:

(PS the Dutch fan is ripping his own team as a bunch of lazybumps)
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Bit's
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#58 » by Bit's » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Andrey Arshavin

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=IIRxxurh0xg&feature=related

This guy is awesome!!! I'm really impressed with his ability.

I hope he goes to a big european club this season (with all respect to Zenit) so we can see him playing more times, because he's the kind of player that you always want to watch playing.

Congratulations to Russians for this brilliant win.
Indiana Pacers!
blues_man5
Junior
And1: 13

Post#59 » by blues_man5 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Russia really deserved the win. They outplayed the Dutch on this one. Congrats to them. We will see if they can once again pull out an upset with Italy or Spain. Either way, I think Russia's run so far has been excellent.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#60 » by @ndrew » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Россия! Россия!

Russia vpered! Bring Those Istalians!

Return to The General Soccer Board