Euro 2008 FINALS: Spain vs Germany

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Euro 2008 FINALS: Spain vs Germany 

Post#1 » by Point forward » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Ok boys and girls, THIS IS IT. On Sunday in Vienna, the Finals will be played between these two juggernauts:

SPAIN
HF win vs RUS 3-0; QF win vs ITA 5-3 a.P.; W vs GRE 2-1, W vs SWE 2-1, W vs RUS 4-1

GERMANY
Hf win vs TUR 3-2; QF win vs POR 3-2; W vs AUT 1-0; L vs CRO 1-2; W vs POL 2-0

KEY PLAYERS
ImageImage
Spain will probably miss David Villa (see below), so Fernando Torres of Liverpool FC will spearhead the Spanish attack. He is big, strong and is nearly unstoppable once he gets the ball. Carles Puyol of Barcelona is the Spanish lead defender and will be counted on to neutralise the extremely efficient German attack.

ImageImage
On German side, everything stands and falls with Michael Ballack, the heart and soul of the German team. Equally deadly on offense on defense, but also sometimes flustered by small quick midfielders. Bastian Schweinsteiger from Bayern Munich is the best German player ATM, a dangerous winger who can score and give assists.

X FACTORS
Marcos Senna from Villareal CF is the Spanish central defensive midfielder. The experienced Spanish-Brasilian is playing a fantastic tourney and will be called on to neutralise Ballack. On German side, Miroslav Klose is the lone striker up front, a superb header who needs only a bit of daylight to score.

MISSING PLAYERS AND QUESTION MARKS
Spain will probably miss David Villa due to injury, so Cesc Fabregas will be called on to create havoc from the hole-striker position. Spain is looking hugely impressive and clutch (!!), but also have never trailed (EDIT: in a KO game or a game where something was on the line)... let' see how they play if Germany scores the 1-0. On German side, the central defenders Metzelder and Mertesacker have been looking very fragilem especially vs Turkey. If Senturk and Kazim can rip them to pieces, Torres and Cesc could vaporise them.

MISC INFO
Until a week ago, Spain was known as a nation of chokers and losers. But with their (hard earned) luck vs Italy and their impressive win vs Russia, they have a rightly earned shot at the title. Let's see if they can prevail or fall back into their victim role. Germany has been very inconsistent during the tourney, but are probably the most efficient team of the Euro 2008. They play crap matches and WIN, and if Germany plays well and gets going, they will win vs anybody and anything.

CONCLUSION
There is no favorite this time, both teams have earned their ticket into the Finals with a mix of luck (Spain vs Italy, Germany vs Turkey) and grit (Spain vs Russia, Germany vs Portugal). Spain seems better, but Germany is so utterly lethal in KO games. The winner in any case will rightfully walk away with the Euro 2008 trophy.
Point forward
Head Coach

Re: Euro 2008 FINALS: Spain vs Germany 

Post#2 » by Point forward » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 pm

(BTW I would like to add some more pics but I get strange "could not determine size of image" errors)
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#3 » by El Turco » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Spain is yet to play a bad game while Germany arguably had 3 bad games. Luckily for Germans past performances rarely mean anything to them. Germany can win without putting up great performances but i highly doubt giving up the amount of chances they gave to Turkey would fly against highly skilled Spainards. They need to utilize the dead ball situations and counter attacks to perfection to win, imo.

As for Spainards missing Villa will hurt but Fabregas is no chump, Guiza is putting up up some great performances as well. They need to exploit tall but slow German central defenders.

I have a gut feeling Spain will win this but i hope i am wrong.

P.S: Spain did play from behind against Greece and won the game.
Point forward
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Point forward » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:20 pm

RE: Spain did win a come from behind game

You are right... but I take this with a grain of salt. That game was totally w/o pressure, Spain would have ended 1st even if they had lost 0-98. But still, if Germany plays like vs Turkey, GER wi'll get burnt BADLY.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#5 » by Slava » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:51 am

Should be a wonderful game and I expect lots of goals. Fabregas should start in Villa's absence and thats the boost Spain would want to get a quick goal but they need to contain Germany on the flanks as well as defend well from set pieces.

Let this be a fitting finale.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#6 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:08 am

the clear favorite is spain, they have shown the most balanced team in the euro and have been pretty dominant over their opponents most of the games.

both teams are young and need a lot to prove, i hope and expect a very high quality game.
bacid
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by bacid » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 pm

As a Turk living in Austria, I'm rooting for Spain, because the Germans managed to eliminate both teams Turkey and Austria.

Villa is injured but this shouldn't prevent Spain of destroying Germany. In the game against Russia Spain even started to dominate after Villa was out and Cesc Fabregas came in. The German defenders Metzelder and Mertesacker are just too slow against Fabregas, Torres, Da Silva, Xavi.... I also think that Senna and Ramos will shut up Ballack.
So Spain is the favorite but then again Portugal was the favorite against Germany too and still they lost. If the Germans find a way to play effective defense against Spain then they have a good chance to win this game. Spain has all the offensive talent but against Italy they were unable to find options and played from the beginng to the end always the same plays. It seemed like they don't have any Plan B. They were lucky that the Italians had no offensive game and could't get Luca Toni into the right position.
The Spains also had some problems against Sweden and considering the problems they had against Italy it's a 50-50 game altougt the Spaniards seem to be the cleare favorites. The Germans are much more physical than the Russians and this could be a serious problem for Spain.

Anyway I hope Spain wins the game. I guess 3:2 for Spain.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#8 » by ICMTM » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:05 am

Spain is looking like the better team, however I predicted Germany at the beginning of this thing so I have a 1-1 Germany win in PK's
KANGZZZZZ!
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,749

Post#9 » by meatball sub » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:49 am

It's time Torres has a big game, the guy is due. This should be an exciting game.
Senior
And1: 0

Post#10 » by 1982 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:50 am

Spain is yet to play a bad game while Germany arguably had 3 bad games

And all three games were against lower competition. Germany has so far played up or down to the level of their competition. So hopefully they play their best since Spain is the best team they've faced since Argentina two years ago.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#11 » by Basti » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:41 pm

I hope and think that the way the spaniards are playing suits us way better than like playing vs turkey, austria or croatia. they are more into technique rather than fighting so I hope it'll suit us better. the portugese have a similar approach to the game though spain has a higher quality IMO.
Point forward
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Point forward » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Germany FTW if we score the 1-0. :)

PS it would be too cool if our supremely sucky German-Spaniard Mario Gomez scored the winning goal. That would be poetic justice after seeing him missing the open goal from <1 yard twice in this Euro 2008.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,097

Post#13 » by magik9113 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Sleepy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 68
Location: The Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt.

Post#14 » by Sleepy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:40 pm

magik9113 wrote:Ballack is doubtful http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 08&cc=5901

****. Smokescreen. Misdirection.

He's got a strained muscle in his calf, if the reports are correct. No way that keeps him from playing. Not after he missed the finals in 2002&2006. Ballack will play, even if he's sporting some crutches or rolls in a wheelchair.
Point forward
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Point forward » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:54 pm

Yes, Ballack has problems with one of his calves. But IMHO Ballack would rather get himself split into 2 before he misses out that match.

(And BTW, Ballack sucked in the TUR match and our backup guy Borowski is not that bad...)
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#16 » by BlackMamba » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:58 am

i don't think ballack wants to miss this game it would be too much bad luck for him.

spain so far has been a great team, a balanced team, a good midfield that knows how to recover the ball and to build up the attacks. villa was being the main man, and i agree, torres came in as the big star and so far has kind of disappointed. spain's defense also hasn't been too much attacked, but casillas is a guarantee.

now, the germans have battled more in all of their games (well, maybe not vs. poland) but they have overcome so far and their strength and mentality is never a question. you never know when you play vs. the germans.

i want it to be an open offensive game, but i'm sure it's going to be a battle in midfield with little shots on goal. i wonder if aragonés will play fabregas again or will go with guiza.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#17 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:59 am

I'll take Spain.

Most consistent team in EURO 08 by far.

It will be a good match, can't wait.
Sleepy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: The Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt.

Post#18 » by Sleepy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:55 am

BlackMamba wrote:i want it to be an open offensive game, but i'm sure it's going to be a battle in midfield with little shots on goal. i wonder if aragonés will play fabregas again or will go with guiza.

It's almost unbelievable how many goals Germany scored since Klinsmann took over the team. I'm not talking pointless friendlies or qualifiers against San Marino, but knockout games in tournaments:

2005 Confed Cup:

Germany 4 – 3 Australia
Tunisia 0 – 3 Germany
Argentina 2 – 2 Germany

Germany 2 – 3 Brazil

Germany 4 – 3 (a.e.t.) Mexico

2006 World Cup

Germany 4 – 2 Costa Rica
Germany 1 – 0 Poland
Ecuador 0 – 3 Germany

Germany 2 - 0 Sweden

Germany 1 - 1 Argentina

Germany 0 - 2 Italy

Germany 3 - 1 Portugal

2008 Euro

Germany 2 – 0 Poland
Croatia 2 – 1 Germany
Austria 0 – 1 Germany

Portugal 2 – 3 Germany

Germany 3 – 2 Turkey

We scored at least 3 goals in 8 of those 17 games. Remained scoreless just onces. And now there comes Spain, the team that so far scored the most goals in the tournament.

I hope, and really expect fireworks up front. The German Defense can't stop Fabreagas, Iniesta, Torres and Xavi, but the Spaniards will have there handful with Klose and our other long dudes going to work in the middle after Scheinsteiger/Podolski crosses. Unfortunately, Iker Casillas eats Jens Lehmann for breakfast, which could really be our big disadvantage.
Well, I predict a fun and highscoring game, 2-2 after 90 mins, 3-3 after extra time, Germany wins the penalties.

My lineup (without Ballack, but I still think the news about his injury are just smokescreens from the German camp)

--------------Lehmann--------------
Fried.-----Merte--Metze-----Lahm
-----------Rolfes---Frings-----------
Schweini-----------------------Hitz.
-------------Klose---Poldi-----------

with Ballack

--------------Lehmann--------------
Fried.-----Merte--Metze------Lahm
-----------Hitz.----Frings-----------
Schweini----Ballack-------Poldi
---------------Klose------------------

Sergio Ramos will have a field day with our left side, if Lahm plays like he did against Turkey. But again, I believe in our firepower and efficiency. Score one goal more than the opponent and you win... :D
Sleepy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Sleepy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:08 am

By the way...

a link for the Ladies in the house: http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 32,00.html
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#20 » by b-ball forever » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:58 am

Spain's been red hot in the tourney, and will be the favorites...

But history's BY FAR on the German side. IIRC Spain is only playing for their first international tourney finals win, while Germany's the team that won the most Euro trophies.

I get the feeling Germany's gonna win again.

Kinda like the Lakers vs Celtics finals series... Lakers were the more impressive team thru-out the playoffs and bookies all had em as clear favorites... but almost everybody forgot that Boston pwned em during the reg season...

Return to The General Soccer Board