ImageImageImage

Preseason: Game 5: Suns @ Lakers l Tonight l 7:00pm l NBATV

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,268

Re: Preseason: Game 5: Suns @ Lakers l Tonight l 7:00pm l NBATV 

Post#121 » by Bogyo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:59 am

sashaturiaf wrote:You really can't take too much away of anything away from a preseason game especially since so many players were missing from both teams, however I don't feel the Lakers the way they're constructed now can challenge us in a series. 3 main thoughts

1. Davis is obviously their best player and the biggest threat to the Suns. Defensively he's a monster we'll be able to minimise his impact since our big 3 are all automatic midrange guys with 3 point range as well. He can't be guarding everybody at once when we roll out a 4-5 shooter lineup, adding to the fact Lakers lineup definitely have weak points to be attacked (Reaves, Russell, Lebron on the perimeter), that is easy money if KD/Book/Beal gets those guys 1v1.

2. Our depth is a strength and a huge upgrade over last season, props to James Jones for making some solid moves and also Ishbia for making this a destination. Other than Bol and Saben Lee every other player we have I trust they can be solid contributors at least during the regular season. Being truly 12 deep will make a huge difference in keeping the big 3 fresh for the playoffs. Goodwin Gordon Yuta and Allen is going to be nasty off the bench, all those guys are skilled and spirited.

3. Defensively we need one more big wing or a physical smallball 5, someone like a Tate from the Rockets or Isaish Stewart from Pistons will help immensely. Nurk has footspeed issues on defense and Eubanks is too small, KD is great at the 5 in a 5 out system but you wouldn't want him to do it for 82 games and still expect him fresh and healthy for the playoffs. We need someone who can be KD's goon during the regular season grind as well as provide some versatility for us in the playoffs.

Maaan, I'd love BeefStew on this team. Otherwise spot on as well.
Only thing I hope that too much of a good thing is not a bad thing, ie: some of the "worthy" bench guys will not get minutes. Hopefully they dont get mad and kill the mood in the lockerroom or whatever. KDB, Goodwin and Little will not get as many minutes as they would "deserve" (have on any other team).
# waiting for the next chapter
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#122 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:03 am

Bogyo wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:You really can't take too much away of anything away from a preseason game especially since so many players were missing from both teams, however I don't feel the Lakers the way they're constructed now can challenge us in a series. 3 main thoughts

1. Davis is obviously their best player and the biggest threat to the Suns. Defensively he's a monster we'll be able to minimise his impact since our big 3 are all automatic midrange guys with 3 point range as well. He can't be guarding everybody at once when we roll out a 4-5 shooter lineup, adding to the fact Lakers lineup definitely have weak points to be attacked (Reaves, Russell, Lebron on the perimeter), that is easy money if KD/Book/Beal gets those guys 1v1.

2. Our depth is a strength and a huge upgrade over last season, props to James Jones for making some solid moves and also Ishbia for making this a destination. Other than Bol and Saben Lee every other player we have I trust they can be solid contributors at least during the regular season. Being truly 12 deep will make a huge difference in keeping the big 3 fresh for the playoffs. Goodwin Gordon Yuta and Allen is going to be nasty off the bench, all those guys are skilled and spirited.

3. Defensively we need one more big wing or a physical smallball 5, someone like a Tate from the Rockets or Isaish Stewart from Pistons will help immensely. Nurk has footspeed issues on defense and Eubanks is too small, KD is great at the 5 in a 5 out system but you wouldn't want him to do it for 82 games and still expect him fresh and healthy for the playoffs. We need someone who can be KD's goon during the regular season grind as well as provide some versatility for us in the playoffs.

Maaan, I'd love BeefStew on this team. Otherwise spot on as well.
Only thing I hope that too much of a good thing is not a bad thing, ie: some of the "worthy" bench guys will not get minutes. Hopefully they dont get mad and kill the mood in the lockerroom or whatever. KDB, Goodwin and Little will not get as many minutes as they would "deserve" (have on any other team).

Agreed, those guys if they're not knuckleheads will know we're on a championship path and fall in line. If not they should be offloaded by the deadline.

This is exactly the reason I'm happy Ayton isn't here. Don't need his selfish mood swings to be derailing this season if he doesnt get his minutes and shots. And due to his salary he won't be that easy to unload in 1 day like you can with a Nassir Little
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,178

Post#123 » by bigfoot » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:39 pm

I do think the suns will have a lot of blowouts for the bench guys to get their minutes
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,167

Post#124 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:33 pm

bwoolf2 wrote:Rough night for Nurk

anthony davis has always been his worst matchup, cant score on him and cant defend him (athletic, elite mid range game)
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,210

Post#125 » by sunsbg » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:05 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:

anthony davis has always been his worst matchup, cant score on him and cant defend him (athletic, elite mid range game)

So pray we don't meet Lakers and Bucks and everything will be fine.

KD was also awful to start the game. A bit worrying as he appears to have those moments more often these days.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#126 » by enigmatics » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:33 pm

The thing about AD is as much of a talent as he is - he cannot be trusted to stay healthy and #2 he is prone to taking mental vacations in games.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#127 » by enigmatics » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:00 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:

So pray we don't meet Lakers and Bucks and everything will be fine.

KD was also awful to start the game. A bit worrying as he appears to have those moments more often these days.

The AD matchup has never been in favor of the Suns - even when Deandre Teslayton was here. It's definitely a weapon they have, but as a whole I'm not scared of the team vs. team matchup.

On Offense:

vs. Ayton = 25.8 pts/g (50.7% shooting), 12.9 rebs/g, 2.8 assists/g, 2.3 blks/g, 2 steals/g, 5.5 +/-
vs. Nurkic = 24.4 pts/g (53.2% shooting), 10.3 rebs/g, 3.0 assists/g, 3.0 blks/g, 1 steal/g, -1.6 +/-

On Defense:

vs. Ayton = 13.8 pts/g (64.2% shooting), 11.8 rebs/g, 1.6 assists/g, 0.6 blks/g, 1.3 steals/g, -1.0 +/-
vs. Nurkic = 12.2 pts/g (56.3% shooting), 9.9 rebs/g, 1.9 assists/g, 1.1 blks/g, 0.8 steals/g, 1.4 +/-
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,210

Post#128 » by sunsbg » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:39 pm

It's like there are 3-4 players fighting for fifth spot on 2nd unit with EG, Allen, Watanabe and Eubanks being set. All these guys showed in preseason they can pass, which led to fun second half against Lakers. Let's hope the starters will also show more of this fun style and less ISO.
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,972

Post#129 » by KLEON » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:49 pm

It's going to be tough but Metu and Little deserve minutes. WOW! this is the deepest Suns' roster I've ever seen.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,178

Post#130 » by bigfoot » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:55 pm

Clear the starters are

Book/Beal/Okogie/Durant/Nurk

Seems pretty clear the bench unit is

Goodwin/Grayson/Gordon/Watanabe/Eubanks

Metu is very close to breaking into the rotation
Little and KBD will get spot playing time based on injuries, rest, and poor play by the bench crew.

One of Johnson, Bol, or DLee is cut. Only mop up minutes for these guys.

Two-wayers Saben and Azubuikie get mop up minutes too and hopefully Wainwright returns as the third two way player.

Return to Phoenix Suns