ImageImageImage

Game 5: San Antonio Spurs (2-2) @ Phoenix Suns (2-2) l Thursday l 7:00pm l NBATV

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Re: Game 5: San Antonio Spurs (2-2) @ Phoenix Suns (2-2) l Thursday l 7:00pm l NBATV 

Post#301 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 4, 2023 11:20 am

Revived wrote:I hate to say it but we’re missing CP3’s leadership right now. Look at the Suns roster, there’s no leaders. Just a bunch of individual contributors really.

KD’s definitely not a leader and he’s said it himself that he doesn’t want to be one either. Book is great but he’s never been a vocal leader type guy.

And outside of them two, there’s basically nobody else. Eric Gordon maybe? lol no.

Leadership from players is vastly overrated IMO. Think about it...the Nuggets are the current champions, can you tell me who is their vocal leader? None of Jokic, Murray or Porter are vocal leaders at all, that's why you have a HC and another coaches on your staff.

It's nice to have some leader on your roster but it's not a must to win it all.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,210

Re: Game 5: San Antonio Spurs (2-2) @ Phoenix Suns (2-2) l Thursday l 7:00pm l NBATV 

Post#302 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 4, 2023 11:35 am

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:I hate to say it but we’re missing CP3’s leadership right now. Look at the Suns roster, there’s no leaders. Just a bunch of individual contributors really.

KD’s definitely not a leader and he’s said it himself that he doesn’t want to be one either. Book is great but he’s never been a vocal leader type guy.

And outside of them two, there’s basically nobody else. Eric Gordon maybe? lol no.

I thought about that last night...how our team completely changed in competitiveness with CP3's leadership, and now it looks completely different.

His play was washed but his impact on the team as a whole was inarguable.

That being said, I do think just based on talent, the trade for Beal was a no brainer, even if he misses games. Paul was not going to be around too much longer and Beal is a big time talent.

Also, we really shot well, and we just need to clean up the turnovers and need to keep up with other team's rebounding. We should not have lost the rebounding battle with them. As good as Wemby is, he's not a great rebounder..nor is Collins. They were just a lot more active and surprisingly enough, for a very young team, takes care of the ball better.

And as good as Book was/is, he had another 5 turnovers tonight after 6 in his first one. KD has 20 turnovers in 5 games too. So he is averaging 4 and Book 5.5.

:oops: Beal hopefully can do the majority of the ballhandling. His turnover % and turnovers per game have been lower than both KD and Book in their careers.

I’d love the bolded but is that also because Beal has never been entrusted with ball handling duties?

Big 3 are good offensive players and as such should be able to play make/create well for themselves and others as long as there is an established offense with some form of good ball movement and everybody knows their role. Now the question is how do you build that when the over/under on Big 3 playing together is probably 20 games.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#303 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:21 pm

enigmatics wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:The sample size is too small to really say anything about this team going forward (has been at times impressive but mostly uninspiring) but one thing I think you can say after any amount of games: champions don’t get down by 30 points at halftime on their home courts. That alone bodes extremely poorly for this season. You can “one game” it all you want but you know the best teams never let that happen

Repeat after me - THIS IS NOT A TEAM THAT HAS PLAYED TOGETHER. This isn't the treadmill nucleus that got WAXED by Luka and the Doncics in a 2nd round Game 7.

We’ll see. I hope you’re right
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,555

Game 5: San Antonio Spurs (2-2) @ Phoenix Suns (2-2) l Thursday l 7:00pm l NBATV 

Post#304 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:58 pm

Okogie is killing us on offense. That fast break was tough to watch. He should have passed to KD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jdiddy701
RealGM

Post#305 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:01 pm

Those rebounds that lead to made basket are killing the Suns.

Jdiddy701
RealGM

Post#306 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:04 pm

I’m talking in the wrong post. Just ignore me.

KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,972

Post#307 » by KLEON » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:27 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:Okogie is killing us on offense. That fast break was tough to watch. He should have passed to KD.

Yeah but he got fouled by that arse clown Beverley but as always the ref missed it
KLEON
Analyst

Post#308 » by KLEON » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:33 pm

:D
KLEON
Analyst

Post#309 » by KLEON » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:54 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:I’m talking in the wrong post. Just ignore me.

Me 2
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,761

Post#310 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 8:37 pm

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I thought about that last night...how our team completely changed in competitiveness with CP3's leadership, and now it looks completely different.

His play was washed but his impact on the team as a whole was inarguable.

That being said, I do think just based on talent, the trade for Beal was a no brainer, even if he misses games. Paul was not going to be around too much longer and Beal is a big time talent.

Also, we really shot well, and we just need to clean up the turnovers and need to keep up with other team's rebounding. We should not have lost the rebounding battle with them. As good as Wemby is, he's not a great rebounder..nor is Collins. They were just a lot more active and surprisingly enough, for a very young team, takes care of the ball better.

And as good as Book was/is, he had another 5 turnovers tonight after 6 in his first one. KD has 20 turnovers in 5 games too. So he is averaging 4 and Book 5.5.

:oops: Beal hopefully can do the majority of the ballhandling. His turnover % and turnovers per game have been lower than both KD and Book in their careers.

I’d love the bolded but is that also because Beal has never been entrusted with ball handling duties?

Well, none of them have. I don't expect him to be great but hopefully better than those two. He's had similar ballhandling duties that they have with a lower turnover % and turnovers per game.

Return to Phoenix Suns