ImageImageImage

Welcome Toumani Camara

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Re: Welcome Toumani Camara 

Post#101 » by Saberestar » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:41 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I didn't get to watch much of the Heat game, but the statline obvi wasn't that impressive. Struggled at the line and had 6 turnovers. 11/3/3 with 2 steals.

From the highlights, it seemed like he was getting displaced pretty often by bigger players, though he always fought back.

Looks to me like he's probably a little light for his NBA position (PF). I expect he'll be hitting the weight room pretty hard over the next year or so.

He made a tremendous block too coming as a help defender.

I disagree with your take, I think he has already an strong and wide body. I think he will be play some small ball 5, his versatility on defense has impressed me because he looks legit as a switchable defender.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#102 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:01 pm

Saberestar wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I didn't get to watch much of the Heat game, but the statline obvi wasn't that impressive. Struggled at the line and had 6 turnovers. 11/3/3 with 2 steals.

From the highlights, it seemed like he was getting displaced pretty often by bigger players, though he always fought back.

Looks to me like he's probably a little light for his NBA position (PF). I expect he'll be hitting the weight room pretty hard over the next year or so.

He made a tremendous block too coming as a help defender.

I disagree with your take, I think he has already an strong and wide body. I think he will be play some small ball 5, his versatility on defense has impressed me because he looks legit as a switchable defender.
Shoot I don't think his 'position' really matters because he's unlikely to be a starter even with an optimist outlook. More a versitle wing/big combo off the bench, Torrey Craig like. That's not a knock either, of he can be that hell have a nice career and be an awesome late second round pick.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,947

Post#103 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:03 am

Surprised we gave him the full contract.

If 7 players are injured and we need 10 minutes out of someone in playoffs I would have thought an Oubre or Wood would be a better option.

Jones probably thinking if he hits though he'd have cheap contract control for several years we'll see how it goes.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#104 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:16 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Surprised we gave him the full contract.

If 7 players are injured and we need 10 minutes out of someone in playoffs I would have thought an Oubre or Wood would be a better option.

Jones probably thinking if he hits though he'd have cheap contract control for several years we'll see how it goes.

He's on a very cheap contract. He's young, has talent and I think importantly, he is a blue collar kinda guy who just fits at or near the end of the bench. I'd rather cut Ish for a vet than Camara before he gets an opportunity. I like Ish and what he brings to the team (mainly off court) but he's 28, he's not suddenly going to become a rotation player whereas Camara has a chance at least.

To me, there are enough outs in Camara's contract that it's inconsequential if we must cut him for some really good reason.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,182

Post#105 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:16 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Surprised we gave him the full contract.

Mmmm Camara should have more points in summer league... He looks good but is missing pretty easy shots and I cant put my finger on why... Just kinda random cuz it doesnt look bad.. Will probably look even better with the team.

Probably wont see many minutes unless he does well in practice and Vogel experiments a little... We got a full season to figure out out our playoff squad...
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#106 » by darmani » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#107 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:38 pm

I'm really hoping he cracks the rotation and gets solid playing time by Feb. A lot of that would hinge on his defensive chops translating to the NBA level and being somewhat not a liability shooting the 3 ball. Big Jock would've solidified his minutes if he was able to shoot the 3 better
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,114

Post#108 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:48 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I'm really hoping he cracks the rotation and gets solid playing time by Feb. A lot of that would hinge on his defensive chops translating to the NBA level and being somewhat not a liability shooting the 3 ball. Big Jock would've solidified his minutes if he was able to shoot the 3 better

Really don't think there's any chance of that. Maybe next year, though. He's got potential.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#109 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:31 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I'm really hoping he cracks the rotation and gets solid playing time by Feb. A lot of that would hinge on his defensive chops translating to the NBA level and being somewhat not a liability shooting the 3 ball. Big Jock would've solidified his minutes if he was able to shoot the 3 better

Really don't think there's any chance of that. Maybe next year, though. He's got potential.

One can hope.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,381

Post#110 » by Mr Puddles » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:12 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

Yeah I agree, if TC Money is in the rotation by February, that probably means something is seriously wrong with the team. I can't really imagine a scenario where his production in the court will justify him getting minutes ahead of anyone aside from Bol.

We'll probably have to settle for garbage time minutes viewing for year 1.
Spoiler:
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#111 » by sashaturiaf » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:17 pm

I wouldn't write this guy off just because he's a rookie. He's got good size for a start and can play.

Good teams have systems that allow role guys to focus on specific things ie - Nuggets last season with Braun. If Camara can body guys up on D and also hit the occasional open 3 I can see a scenario where he's part of the rotation, I'm not expecting that outcome but also not ruling it out. Be a Braun be a Grant Williams, these arent super talented prospects but they are guys that will plau hard and not lose you the game.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#112 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:15 pm

Sometimes I think 2nd round picks are more about GMs having a free hit to find the next Ginobilli or Jokic that gets them a job for life. Because the actual odds of a pick 40-60 doing anything in their rookie year are a lot less than FAs.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,322

Post#113 » by Frank Lee » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:02 pm

The talent pool is a lot deeper now… And think about this… up until the late 80s, the draft was 7+ rounds. I wouldn’t mind seeing them expand it to three
What ? Me Worry ?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#114 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:13 pm

Frank Lee wrote:The talent pool is a lot deeper now… And think about this… up until the late 80s, the draft was 7+ rounds. I wouldn’t mind seeing them expand it to three
You're 100% on the talent pool these days, it's never been better.

But I still think 2 rounds is enough, it's so much about team/scheme fit for these fringe guys it's better for these long shot dudes to pick their destination.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#115 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:35 am

Didn't really rate him from what I saw, but not sure a more expensive Nassir Little is it either.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,873

Post#116 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Kid is out there working hard. Upset that he was a throw-in.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,758

Post#117 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:06 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kid is out there working hard. Upset that he was a throw-in.

Camara looks pretty good in what I've seen of him. It's crazy he was starting and mostly guarding LeBron. I found it funny seeing Camara/Ayton guarding LeBron/AD. They are starting 2 2nd round picks, one of which was just converted from a 2 way contract (Skylar Mays) along with 2nd year player Sharpe, Grant and Ayton.

Camara's getting some nice early valuable playing time for a 2nd round pick. Would have been a nice player to have. Portland did well getting a much cheaper Camara for Little and unloading Nurk's contract along with an expiring Allen for Camara and Ayton, regardless of how well Ayton's playing now. His contract is the same length as Nurkic's so a nice risk/reward player and can afford the extra money with all their rookie contracts.

Return to Phoenix Suns