WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Re: Game 14: Suns vs Blazers 

Post#161 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:28 pm

sunsbg wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Yup, in regards to Luka concerns were mainly on defensive end, but still my questions are valid. In regards to DA, was Duncan able to create his own shot first year in college averaging 9ppg IIRC ? Or Amare who was compared to Ben Wallace in draft sites and could only dunk ?

Duncan was one of the 10 best players to ever live so I just wouldn't ever expect anyone to turn out like him.

I actually thought Ayton would be a lot like Amare because in theory he should have been a nasty rim runner. But I also thought Amare was the 3rd best player on those suns teams behind Nash and Marrion. No team was winning **** if Amare was your best player.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

Ayton reminded me most of Ewing, not Duncan, not Robinson. The point though - it's hard to predict how a player develops. Ayton had all the potential based on production, physical attributes, etc., but apparently lacked the required motivation to be more than just a good player.
LaMarcus Aldridge was always my favorite comp for Ayton.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Post#162 » by Saberestar » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:33 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Maybe Vogel is sly… thinking if he plays Little a lot, it will increase his value and the ‘sell short for today’ two headed brain of the MadMatter and IThomas will yank Jones’ puppet strings and deal him.

We arent going to pick up a difference maker/ needle mover in a trade with the limp biscuits we have to offer up. Little is the kind of dude you hang on to and if he balls out, becomes a bargain. Hes really our only prospect

This years hopes rely on Book and KD willing us through the playoffs with some nuclear play. Oh yeah, and that Beal dude I’ve heard so much about.

I think that Vogel needs a player like Little, on paper he is the perfect 3&D wing to play next to Book and KD.

He is bigger and a better scorer than Okogie and he is good enough on defense to put him in front of the better SFs.

If he develops in a starter (or 6th man) we have a bargain for the next 4 years.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,209

Post#163 » by sunsbg » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Duncan was one of the 10 best players to ever live so I just wouldn't ever expect anyone to turn out like him.

I actually thought Ayton would be a lot like Amare because in theory he should have been a nasty rim runner. But I also thought Amare was the 3rd best player on those suns teams behind Nash and Marrion. No team was winning **** if Amare was your best player.

Ayton reminded me most of Ewing, not Duncan, not Robinson. The point though - it's hard to predict how a player develops. Ayton had all the potential based on production, physical attributes, etc., but apparently lacked the required motivation to be more than just a good player.

Not a bad player for what was perceived as DA's floor. If you thought it was his ceiling then you'd made a better GM than McDonough. :) Anyway, DA is history when it comes to Suns. Nurk, Allen and Little are a good replacement. Staying healthy is the key now.
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,972

Post#164 » by KLEON » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:57 pm

Didn't realise that #2 only had ONE rebound for the entire game and some ppl here are saying they miss him :lol: .As they said he'll be the new GOAT of Shaqin a fool
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,209

Post#165 » by sunsbg » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:04 pm

KLEON wrote:Didn't realise that #2 only had ONE rebound for the entire game and some ppl here are saying they miss him :lol: .As they said he'll be the new GOAT of Shaqin a fool

Did you check a box-score on some Ayton haters site ? Nba.com shows 8, 6 offensive.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,953

Post#166 » by Fo-Real » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:15 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:
Revived wrote:I said it when the trade happened, he’s like a poor man’s or maybe homeless man’s version of Mikal Bridges from Mikal’s first 3 years. He should absolutely be in the rotation.

Only concern with him is that much like most of this roster, he’s been very injury prone during his time with Portland. But when healthy and available yeah he should be playing.

Out of all our role player wings, Little seems to be the best fit on paper since he's got all the role player skillsets covered. He's not elite in any of them but he's adequate.

Out of the rest. Yuta is missing some strength on defense, KBD lacks energy and a nose for the ball, Grayson is too short and Okogie is missing altogether on offense.

Question is, if Little continues to play well and starts to really cement real minutes, who minutes is he taking? Is it Okogie? Is it Yuta? Is it Goodwin?

Yuta
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#167 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:25 pm

sunsbg wrote:On the game, I'd like to see more of Metu. Just like Little he appears to have various skills. Looked good in preseason so nice to see him get some mins finally.

We lack a combination of size and athleticism and it's that second part which is why I think Little has looked good (on top of his energy and shooting). It just gives us an extra bit of zing out there. Metu brings both decent size and athleticism. That said, KBD does have a better nose for the ball, I think he has higher basketball IQ (especially having developed under Pop) and they have similar size.

THe season is still young and I'd love to see more competition between the two.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#168 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=e2jUjMUourhO2823KONxMg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Espo, Lindsey and Saul on the PHNX pod was debating whether the "challenge" comment by Book was throwing shade at DA or just a harmless comment. Apparently 66% of listeners thought it was

I think some of both. I don't think like vicious shade but like what he probably told him before..and what frustrated Book...pointing out he doesn't play hard every night and challenging him to do that.

It's also not Book's style to be overtly vicious.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#169 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:29 pm

sunsbg wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Yup, in regards to Luka concerns were mainly on defensive end, but still my questions are valid. In regards to DA, was Duncan able to create his own shot first year in college averaging 9ppg IIRC ? Or Amare who was compared to Ben Wallace in draft sites and could only dunk ?

FWIW, there were VERY good reasons to select DA #1 at the time. I didn't agree with all the reasons but I can't deny he was a worthy #1 pick given what he brought.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#170 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:32 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Great comp

This was LMA's scouting report pre-draft. A lot of similarities, almost every point applied to DA.

Strengths: Considered the top bigman prospect in the country … Extremely smooth post player … Has excellent touch within 12 feet of the basket … Soft hands … Excels on the offensive end with great fundamentals and footwork … Put on 25 pounds of muscle between his freshman and sophomore seasons and it’s made him a much more aggressive and confident post player … Runs the floor especially well for a (near) 7 footer … Good transition player … Good shot blocker, with his long arms he should get a fair number of blocks on the next level … Long arms and a quick leaper … Very versatile big man … Has many effective moves in the low post including a go-to jump hook. Has even developed a sky hook in his sophomore year … Great at positioning himself in the post … Has nice form on his jumper, range is developing … Positions himself well for rebounds and excels on the offensive glass …

Weaknesses: In high school he developed a reputation for being soft and not showing enough heart. Scouts still have some question marks about his toughness inside. He is vastly improved in that area, but still struggles against big and strong players on the NCAA level … Not a physically imposing player inside, plays more a finesse game. Needs to get nastier … Should still add an additional 10-15 pounds … Not an out of this world leaper, but solid … Not an extremely emotional player, which is both a positive and a negative … Passing and ball handling are decent but can improve … Also has been injury prone (missed half of his freshman year after a hip injury that required surgery) … Must develop a killer instinct, more intensity … Free throw shooting is just average …
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,758

Post#171 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:17 am

Yeah, I always felt he was the best comp too. Of course a few years earlier we were all stoked thinking we were getting Aldridge on the max. I wonder how disappointing people would have ended up being. Probably pretty disappointing since we were going to pair him with Bledsoe and Knight.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,812

Post#172 » by sunsbum » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:22 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

LA is so much better than DA it’s not even funny. Dude could post people, hit the midi, out the ball on the floor and of course hit the three. The only thing they have in common is their midrange game and it stops there.
I hate this team.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,433

Post#173 » by Puff » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:43 am

Puff wrote:
sasquatchBob wrote:
Puff wrote:This team desperately needs another playmaker when Book is on the bench either resting or in Street Clothes.

It does not appear that BBB will be able to do that job. At least until his back issues go away. Even then we could use someone else.

I certainly am not a back expert but is it good for BBB to sit on the bench during games he is not playing?

Why not give Saben Lee at least a few minutes to see if he could be a solution. He must suck in practice.

Why? You think he'll injure his back further if he's sitting there?

I have no idea. I just want him to get healthy enough to play. The sooner the better.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,758

Post#174 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:45 am

sunsbum wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

LA is so much better than DA it’s not even funny. Dude could post people, hit the midi, out the ball on the floor and of course hit the three. The only thing they have in common is their midrange game and it stops there.

LA was pretty overrated as well. He shot under 50% from 2, or right around 50% so was pretty inefficient. He also only shot 3s late in his career in his mid 30s, and only really shot many 1 year (and that was 60 3s). He wasn't a very good rebounder either, only averaging double digit rebounds twice in 16 years. I wouldn't call him a great defender either. So he was a fairly inefficient scorer even though he could shoot fairly well from short to mid range, an ok rebounder and defender. He just always had a high volume of shots so scored a bit..averaged almost 16 FGA in his career and averaged 19 ppg. Probably the main thing he was better at was getting to the line.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#175 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:11 am

bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, I always felt he was the best comp too. Of course a few years earlier we were all stoked thinking we were getting Aldridge on the max. I wonder how disappointing people would have ended up being. Probably pretty disappointing since we were going to pair him with Bledsoe and Knight.

We would've most likely treadmilled around the 8th-10th spot and not have had the opportunity to make the mistakes which were Chriss, Bender, Jackson etc but we also wouldn't have likely had the chance to draft Mikal or DA (or someone else in that stacked draft).
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,972

Post#176 » by KLEON » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:23 am

sunsbg wrote:
KLEON wrote:Didn't realise that #2 only had ONE rebound for the entire game and some ppl here are saying they miss him :lol: .As they said he'll be the new GOAT of Shaqin a fool

Did you check a box-score on some Ayton haters site ? Nba.com shows 8, 6 offensive.

Well I guess tnt got the boxscore wrong after the highlights but it still doesn't change the fact that #2 is #2.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,812

Post#177 » by sunsbum » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:LaMarcus Aldridge was always my favorite comp for Ayton.

LA was pretty overrated as well. He shot under 50% from 2, or right around 50% so was pretty inefficient. He also only shot 3s late in his career in his mid 30s, and only really shot many 1 year (and that was 60 3s). He wasn't a very good rebounder either, only averaging double digit rebounds twice in 16 years. I wouldn't call him a great defender either. So he was a fairly inefficient scorer even though he could shoot fairly well from short to mid range, an ok rebounder and defender. He just always had a high volume of shots so scored a bit..averaged almost 16 FGA in his career and averaged 19 ppg. Probably the main thing he was better at was getting to the line.
if DA tried half the stuff that LA was capable of his shooting numbers would be dirt.
I hate this team.

Return to Phoenix Suns