ImageImageImage

Game 42: Indiana Pacers (24-18) @ Phoenix Suns (23-18) l Sunday l 6:00pm l AZFamily

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,264

Re: Game 42: Indiana Pacers (24-18) @ Phoenix Suns (23-18) l Sunday l 6:00pm l AZFamily 

Post#141 » by Bogyo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:53 pm

Golanator wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:It's big time when we no longer have to force feed KD creation possessions when he isn't in rhythm nor waiting 8s for Book to cross the halfway mark and then spending another 12s to initiate a play and then end up with a quick shot with less than 4s left. It's just such a blessing to have a third guy who you can just tap on the shoulder and be like, hey Book doesn't have it right now and KD needs a little push, can you carry this team for the next 2-4min.

I feel like Beal has done that and taken ownership of that role when asked. Earlier in the season he would go to score but wouldn't be in rhythm nor in the flow of our offense or he'd be tentative when he's on ball because he's thinking about not being selfish. Now he's comfortable playing that 3rd man but he also knows there's going to be multiple opportunities every game to put this team on his back and just give the opposing team a new problem to deal with when they think they've figured out how to contain Book/KD.

Super happy with Beal's recent play.

Agree, and I think Beal can stand to be even more aggressive at times, especially when he’s being guarded by a teams 3rd best defender. He’s a dog.

Been really good lately.

Yeah, he is quickly becoming my favourite, his overall good attitude towards the game and his teammates just seems infectious.
He is just such a smart and solid player, seemingly knows when to step up or step back, makes the right plays, makes the right passes and shoots the good shots - case in point, he only took one shot outside of the paint today. I hope he stays healthy, as he is a very big difference maker here.
# waiting for the next chapter
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,660

Re: Game 42: Indiana Pacers (24-18) @ Phoenix Suns (23-18) l Sunday l 6:00pm l AZFamily 

Post#142 » by schnakenpopanz » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:15 pm

The example of Indiana and several other Drafts show you that you can find good players with young engergy and meaningful contribution rather than the Eubanks' and Bates-Diops of this league.

But James Jones might be worse than McDonut in analyzing prospects and bulding for the future.
free steve nash!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,725

Post#143 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:28 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

Not talking numbers here. But I'm just sick of the Haliburton lovefest treating him like he's some superstar. He may very well have some great reg season numbers this season.

You'd think a guy who has 4 times as many all star votes as Book would even have played 1 playoff game first.

He's putting up historical #s, and your rebuttals are weak..4-4 without him...we are 5-2 without KD...does that mean he ain't that good? All I said was it's probably a good thing he was out because of how much difference he has made to their team when he's on the floor. To argue that is just ridiculous. Using that record without him, I'd have a better argument for KD, but of course I'm not going to use that as some evidence suggesting he aint that good.

Nothing personal against your post at all, yeah of course they are better with Haliburton. My post was simply expressing my feelings towards Haliburton and how much love he's getting before he's played a single playoff game.

Now comparing him with KD to justify your point of view.. c'mon now, that's the kind of thing that made me mad enough to post what I posted in the first place.

We got a guy that's played 0 playoff games and now he's getting 4x the all star votes Book is getting, and our Suns moderator here is so defensive of him he's using KD as a comparison. Tell me the world isn't mad ...

I think KD is extremely important as is Haliburton to there teams. It isn't a knock on KD, but they are far better with Haliburton than without. That's why he's on the MVP ladder, ahead of any of our guys.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,725

Post#144 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:31 pm

enigmatics wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I know they have Siakam now. Still doesn't have anything to do with my comment about Haliburton being a huge loss. My comment was that it would be like us missing KD (though maybe not as good, he may be considering elevation of teammates), and the response was he aint that good.

A later response was that the Pacers are 4-4 without Haliburton. We are 5-2 without KD. Does that mean he ain't that good or doesn't make us a lot better?

You're moving the goal posts. The post was about how much Haliburton helps them. Of course they shouldn't be as bad missing him with Siakam instead of Bruce Brown, but trades take adjustment time too...they lost their first game with Siakam to Portland, even with Haliburton.

Would we have still won without Haliburton? Maybe, but he would have brought a lot of shooting, leadership, assists, not many turnovers, etc.

He would have been an enormous upgrade from McConnell and Nembhard who were 5-17 from the field, no 3s, 9 assists and 5 turnovers. He averages 12.6 ast to 2.5 turnovers and 23.4 per game on elite shooting. So replace the PG play and they likely play a ton better and others probably get better shots too.

Saying Hali would be an upgrade to his backups is the most Captain Obvious take, yet you still don't know the outcome had he played know matter what you say. I could easily say maybe Book doesn't go cold in the 2nd half and Nurk doesn't get in foul trouble.

In the same breath you'll turn around and emphasize a loss vs. Portland in Siakam's FIRST GAME. Pretty much all the top teams have bad losses like that. You'd think the Suns played a Wizards calibur squad tonight with some of your comments.

Sure I said we maybe still win with Haliburton but the odds are considerably less. You saying Siakam alleviates losing Haliburton, in theory, yes, but with both they will be a lot better. But so far, yes, it takes time, which is why they are -8 so far without Haliburton but WITH Siakam in the lineup, on par with one of the worst net ratings in the league, but with both together, even vs Portland, they were +22.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#145 » by enigmatics » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:19 pm

Puff wrote:It is hard to believe that we are getting so little from our bench. I know they are all on minimum contracts, but I was actually excited and positive on virtually all of the signings.

We are really screwed if any of our starting five misses any playoff games. Actually, we cannot afford them to miss any games. Our only hope to improve our bench is Bol Bol. Wow.

Hopefully Gordon finds his shot.

For me personally - we're getting about what I expected when the flurry of signings happened as I was not sold on 99% of them.

Hoping Little and Bol raise up somehow.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#146 » by enigmatics » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Saberestar wrote:
"They're at their very best right now. Their three superstars playing at a high level."

Rick Carlisle on Phoenix #Suns, saying their transition offense the last few games has been "galatically good."

Read on Twitter

Liking the praise actual coaches are giving this squad lately.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,887

Post#147 » by SkyBill40 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:40 pm

enigmatics wrote:
Puff wrote:It is hard to believe that we are getting so little from our bench. I know they are all on minimum contracts, but I was actually excited and positive on virtually all of the signings.

We are really screwed if any of our starting five misses any playoff games. Actually, we cannot afford them to miss any games. Our only hope to improve our bench is Bol Bol. Wow.

For me personally - we're getting about what I expected when the flurry of signings happened as I was not sold on 99% of them.

Hoping Little and Bol and raise up somehow.

The only way they're going to raise up is by being healthy, available, ready, and running. Unfortunately as of late, not all of those boxes have been in a place where checkable.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#148 » by enigmatics » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:22 pm

SkyBill40 wrote:
enigmatics wrote:

Hoping Little and Bol and raise up somehow.

The only way they're going to raise up is by being healthy, available, ready, and running. Unfortunately as of late, not all of those boxes have been in a place where checkable.

Yeah I dunno wtf Little's problem is.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,779

Post#149 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:38 pm

Bogyo wrote:
Golanator wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:It's big time when we no longer have to force feed KD creation possessions when he isn't in rhythm nor waiting 8s for Book to cross the halfway mark and then spending another 12s to initiate a play and then end up with a quick shot with less than 4s left. It's just such a blessing to have a third guy who you can just tap on the shoulder and be like, hey Book doesn't have it right now and KD needs a little push, can you carry this team for the next 2-4min.

I feel like Beal has done that and taken ownership of that role when asked. Earlier in the season he would go to score but wouldn't be in rhythm nor in the flow of our offense or he'd be tentative when he's on ball because he's thinking about not being selfish. Now he's comfortable playing that 3rd man but he also knows there's going to be multiple opportunities every game to put this team on his back and just give the opposing team a new problem to deal with when they think they've figured out how to contain Book/KD.

Super happy with Beal's recent play.

Agree, and I think Beal can stand to be even more aggressive at times, especially when he’s being guarded by a teams 3rd best defender. He’s a dog.

Been really good lately.

Yeah, he is quickly becoming my favourite, his overall good attitude towards the game and his teammates just seems infectious.
He is just such a smart and solid player, seemingly knows when to step up or step back, makes the right plays, makes the right passes and shoots the good shots - case in point, he only took one shot outside of the paint today. I hope he stays healthy, as he is a very big difference maker here.

What I love most about Beal is his ability and desire to get to the rim rather than settle for a midrange. He still has a nice middy jumper but with his athleticism, his touch around the basket and teams being focused on KD and Book, it makes so much sense for him to drive to the basket and finish strong which is what he's been doing his whole career and has continued to do here.

Book had a phase earlier in his career (pre-CP3?) where he would go to the rim more often but now he's far more selective when he does drive hard to the rim and rather settle for a midrange. Likewise with KD, I think he's just way more comfortable taking the middy or the 3PT shot as opposed to earlier in his career dunking on dudes in the paint. Both KD and Book have dealt with injuries in their career which have seemingly gotten them more uncomfortable with a steady diet of drives to the rim so I get that but it is a super nice change to have at least one of the Big 3 who is keen to get his buckets in the paint.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#150 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:23 am

Beal looks like a guy still trying to figure out where to fit in and pick his spots with this group. Hopefully all three can stay healthy so they get enough court time to figure it out.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns