ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What WC and EC team are you pulling for in the 2nd round?

Mavs
2%
Nuggets
8%
Thunder
19%
Twolves
21%
Cavs
2%
Celtics
3%
Knicks
19%
Pacers
26%

Total votes: 62

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,130

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#161 » by sunsbg » Fri May 3, 2024 12:32 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Out of the Nuggets and Celtics every "favorite" to win it all this season will be out of the race (presumably) tonight.

This gives us some food to think about it and some perspective on results. Like I said a couple months ago 10/12 teams could win the championship this current season and that's a great accomplishment from the NBA.

Boston and Denver were always the true contenders if healthy. The rest - pretenders until proven otherwise.

It's a competitive league because of cap and luxury tax stuff. It's not like some other leagues where favorites have 10x the budget of the outsiders. That's why teams need every competitive advantage they can get like good coaching, players chemistry, balanced roster and taking care of draft pick assets. Right now Suns don't have much of that.

The Bucks weren't true contenders? The Clippers weren't true contenders? The Sixers?

Only Nuggets and Celtics were proven. Bucks were paper tigers just like us. Sixers with injury prone, playoffs choker in Embiid not really. Clippers were as always wait and see. All in all, only two teams were trust worthy. The others had to prove they belong. In no part of the season Suns did it though you continued to put them in the same group as the proven great teams and we saw how that ended.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,296

Post#162 » by Frank Lee » Fri May 3, 2024 1:20 pm

Like another notable public figure, if Wishbea would just shut the F up he would be perceived better. But so far, his rahrah ‘gonna do this gonna do that’ spiel looks like a soon to be dumpster fire. Perhaps a dumpster fire like never seen before.

Top it off with Pinochio Jones’ ‘you just wait for the real KD’ and we have dueling dunce caps in the front office. Confirmed not only from the painfully obvious results, but from their own commentary about those results.

All we need now is for Zeke to chime in and we will have the Trinity of Spinity

Zero confidence in what these asshats can do this off season. Implosion looming. Weirdly, the only way to move forward is for Book and/or KD to ask out. And even then, to trust Wishbea and co to handle that with out getting prisonraped is a stretch.

Would like to be a fly on the locker room wall at teamUSA’s practice facility . That could be the site of the most productive meetings this off season
What ? Me Worry ?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,100

Post#163 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri May 3, 2024 2:05 pm

In 1988 we traded All-Star Larry Nance for young KJ, Mark West and the draft pick that became Dan Majerle. Improved from 28-54 to 55-27 the next season.
In 1996 we started 0-13. Traded our best young player, Michael Finley, for Jason Kidd. We made the playoffs that year and for years thereafter.
In 2004 we added Steve Nash to a 29-53 team, along with Quentin Richardson and rookie Leandro Barbosa. Went 62-20 and contended for seven seasons.
In 2019 we added Ricky Rubio to a 19-63 team, improving to 34-39. Upgraded Rubio to Chris Paul and went 51-21, then 64-18.

Hearing Ish say he wants the ball in the hands of the Big 3 as much as possible makes me SMH. I get that he's stuck with a Beal/Booker backcourt, so there's no way to add a PG to the mix. It just sucks knowing we're doomed to watch terrible basketball until age or injury inevitably forces us to the face the facts - by which time, the facts will be that we've sold our foreseeable future and won't even have good memories to show for it.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#164 » by enigmatics » Fri May 3, 2024 2:52 pm

sogood wrote:
enigmatics wrote:I was watching to a Chris Broussard and Rob Parker clip earlier today. It wasn't even about the Suns - it was about LeBron's future with the Lakers. No, I'm not about to say LeDouchetard is gonna be Sun lol. They brought up an interesting point though - one I think is somewhat relevant right now.

I know some fans are angry with Ishbia and that almost gas lighter of a presser he gave with JJ. Some are asking why the even held it in the first place. Why does "Yimmy" Jones (Cowboys owner) do it even after all the playoff failures they keep enduring?

Two words: They're relevant. Win or fail Suns are still heavily in the spotlight and that's ultimately what ownership wants aside from wins and banners.

You've been here since 2007 so I'm assuming you're an adult... gotta grow up bro.

Show me where on your LeBron doll I hurt you.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,542

Post#165 » by Stix » Fri May 3, 2024 3:45 pm

My apologies to the mods on this board. Thanks for putting up with me for as long as you have, lol. You guys are the best and no where near the nazi mods over at TnT board.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,958

Post#166 » by Saberestar » Fri May 3, 2024 4:01 pm

Gambo said yesterday that we will know about Vogel on Monday at the latest.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,017

Post#167 » by grumpysaddle » Fri May 3, 2024 4:52 pm

Saberestar wrote:Gambo said yesterday that we will know about Vogel on Monday at the latest.

Clippers/Mavs series will be over by then, so...
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,741

Post#168 » by Revived » Fri May 3, 2024 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter

So many teams are adding quality depth via the draft nowadays, this just seems extremely shortsighted.

And what do the Suns lack, depth or star power? I guess according to Ishbia and Jones, it’s more old ass washed up stars on big contracts.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,785

Post#169 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 3, 2024 5:15 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Gambo said yesterday that we will know about Vogel on Monday at the latest.

Clippers/Mavs series will be over by then, so...

Mrs. Ganush says Matt Ishbia shames her with the way he's crippled our team financially and moving forward. :lol:
:lol:
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#170 » by King4Day » Fri May 3, 2024 5:22 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

So many teams are adding quality depth via the draft nowadays, this just seems extremely shortsighted.

And what do the Suns lack, depth or star power? I guess according to Ishbia and Jones, it’s more old ass washed up stars on big contracts.

IF we trade that pick ('31), they better fn put protections on it. Stop with the unprotected BS.

This years pick MIGHT allow you to move on from Nurk, but even then, what are you getting back? MAYBE Nic Richards from Charlotte? And he's not a big enough upgrade (if at all) to feel he's worth dumping this years pick.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by sunsbg » Fri May 3, 2024 5:25 pm

Shouldn't take that long to announce he's fired.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#172 » by sunsbg » Fri May 3, 2024 5:31 pm

King4Day wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

IF we trade that pick ('31), they better fn put protections on it. Stop with the unprotected BS.

This years pick MIGHT allow you to move on from Nurk, but even then, what are you getting back? MAYBE Nic Richards from Charlotte? And he's not a big enough upgrade (if at all) to feel he's worth dumping this years pick.

I was thinking since we are all in anyway maybe putting lottery protection on '31 pick and downgrade it to second round picks makes sense. They will probably turn it into swaps with other 2-3 teams though. Ishbia and Jones are a match made in heaven. :lol:
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,440

Post#173 » by dremill24 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:55 pm

Who is this magical player who is available for only two 1sts that makes less than Nurkic that would actually make a difference?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,647

Post#174 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:30 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I was talking to someone about what teams would make sense to trade for Book (though I think there is zero chance we trade him and I'd rather not) but I could see the Pelicans. If we could get 4 firsts, Jones, Murphy and Nance that would be kind of nice.

They would then have CJ, Book, Ingram, Zion and JV and we'd have the 4 firsts and more solid role players to support our stars, with Beal, Jones, Murphy, KD, Nurk....or even start Nance or just have the 3 man rotation there.

Would be nice if we kept Bol. I'm sure that lineup doesn't sound good to many people though...just one of the teams with a ton of assets I could see having interest.

That's a crazy expenisive team with Book+Zion making maxes along BI wanting one next yr or he's walking, plus, CJ is pricey too. I thought of them as well but they need to move CJ and I think he has no place here with Beal on the team.

As for your HOU thoughts, it makes sense. I just think that Green was so good for them that he is the one that might be untouchable. Plus with Booker there they could run him, FVV and Green along with Smith and Steven Adams. The fact they have 3 guards starting is lessened by the Twin Tower frontcourt.

I'm sure you guys are all correct that Booker will stay and you know more than anyone how much I've spent this season talking about various KD trades lol......I just don't think it's the right idea for US. Trading Booker can truly let us recoup some serious things. Your NYK and even my OKC deals don't really make us title contenders-just not as functionly awful fitting as we are now. The main issue is something I brought up earlier: Durant is the best player of the 3 and as such he makes the most sense to try and win a title with right now.

I think Green may be a bit of a player at his high in value, so it could be a good time to trade him. FVV is a nice vet they have at PG, so Book would be a significant upgrade from Green. I am very high on Smith and extremely high on Sengun, and think he will soon be maybe the closest thing to Jokic. I just can't see them trading them. I think Oduka wants big depth. You could argue that since they traded for Adams they might be willing to part with Sengun, but I think it's the opposite, that they want more toughness, a vet for those bigs and a nice 3 man big rotation. They don't really need Green and Book.

I agree the NY deal doesn't make us contenders...it's more of a reset with picks with a young guy, a nice role player and Randle, who we could keep, use in another trade, or let expire, or do a S&T to a team over the cap when he's up for extension.

I just still don't see OKC.

But I don't think Ish will trade any of those guys, given what he said and his delusions. Then again, he did say he would not blow up our future, and did a few days later, so he has no problem going back on his word. He just doesn't seem to value picks, nor does Jones. They seem to be of the mindset they want players that contribute now, which is why Jones said he wouldn't have drafted Booker if he was GM back then.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#175 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:37 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I see another 2011-2020 streak within a couple of years. It will be exactly like the post Amare years. For two years we will hover around the 8th/9th spot, and then fall into oblivion for 8 years, with maybe one surprise season in there to give us false hope, and probably trade even more picks.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#176 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:39 pm

What are the podcasters saying about the plans and possibly trading guys? Mainly the Suns ones. I'm sure the national guys think we should trade at least one of our big name players with value.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#177 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:40 pm

So Ishbia will always get by the Stepien rule by trading those 24, 26, 28 and 30 picks on draft night.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,004

Post#178 » by TeamTragic » Fri May 3, 2024 6:42 pm

bwgood77 wrote:So Ishbia will always get by the Stepien rule by trading those 24, 26, 28 and 30 picks on draft night.

I don't know why I guess that was always the plan. Maybe we should sit back and see if Ishbia is the real deal.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#179 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:45 pm

dremill24 wrote:Who is this magical player who is available for only two 1sts that makes less than Nurkic that would actually make a difference?

I'm trying to think of a really old, injury prone, used to be good, C that we could trade Nurkic, Little and our picks for. But I'll have to think about it a little more.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#180 » by King4Day » Fri May 3, 2024 6:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:What are the podcasters saying about the plans and possibly trading guys? Mainly the Suns ones. I'm sure the national guys think we should trade at least one of our big name players with value.

It's a bit all over. Seems most understand this isn't going to work.
Jon Voita had a solid rant about the 'trading pick' situation:

Read on Twitter
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley

Return to Phoenix Suns