ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What WC and EC team are you pulling for in the 2nd round?

Mavs
2%
Nuggets
8%
Thunder
19%
Twolves
21%
Cavs
2%
Celtics
3%
Knicks
19%
Pacers
26%

Total votes: 62

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,798

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#261 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 4, 2024 9:10 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
It's definitely fitting man!
As Ishbia and Jones are managing to drag this franchise to Hell in record time with their incredibly impetuous and shortsighted moves. Although I do sometimes also miss seeing your Steve Brule avatar as it reminds me of our unfortunate luck in seemingly always cycling through owners with similar intellectual brilliance and ingenuity!....lol :lol:

Did we just become best friends?

I heard GOK has over 10k friends on Facebook.

:lol:
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,302

Post#262 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 9:10 pm

Kolek would be a great addition to this team. Pass 1st PG is our biggest need. It'd be better if he was a little more able to hold up defensively, but still. Great fit.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,644

Post#263 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 4, 2024 9:20 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:Did we just become best friends?

I heard GOK has over 10k friends on Facebook.

:lol:

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#264 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 4, 2024 10:47 pm

Slim Charless wrote:Kolek would be a great addition to this team. Pass 1st PG is our biggest need. It'd be better if he was a little more able to hold up defensively, but still. Great fit.

yeah! When you're in our situation is like ours, with really no alternative pivoting options and being forced into this one razor-thin margin for error, getting ANY decent cost controlled quality players when you have no assets is definitely a bonus and just overall smart strategy. But it's also pretty clear that Jones and Ishbia lack any measurable level of vision and foresight to even postulate on alternative plans. You definitely stand a much better chance of getting a solid contributor that can impact different aspects of the game for you and outplay their contract value than you can from a bottom-tier vet min scrub. :-?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#265 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 4, 2024 10:48 pm

Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,302

Post#266 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 11:03 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:Kolek would be a great addition to this team. Pass 1st PG is our biggest need. It'd be better if he was a little more able to hold up defensively, but still. Great fit.

yeah! When you're in our situation is like ours, with really no alternative pivoting options and being forced into this one razor-thin margin for error, getting ANY decent cost controlled quality players when you have no assets is definitely a bonus and just overall smart strategy. But it's also pretty clear that Jones and Ishbia lack any measurable level of vision and foresight to even postulate on alternative plans. You definitely stand a much better chance of getting a solid contributor that can impact different aspects of the game for you and outplay their contract value than you can from a bottom-tier vet min scrub. :-?

Hopefully Ish realizes this and doesn't trade our future more then he already has.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,440

Post#267 » by dremill24 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:06 am

Spoiler:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

I find it funny that Gerald Bourget talks about supposedly setting the record straight on our draft pick situation as a media source, yet he deliberately puts out an article without ever mentioning the attached penalties of those picks swaps as a 2nd apron team making those pick swaps become the very last pick (#30) in corresponding drafts starting next summer. And then he does the same exact thing in this podcast, purposely omitting the details of those very few remaining picks left for now. Is it worse to lack journalistic integrity or the testicular fortitude to actually challenge false narratives, or is he simply letting his random instances of misplaced feelings of intellectual superiority cloud the facts of our situation? Or could it be just a matter of subjective biases?

I get that simplistically both Ishbia and Bourget are technically correct that contextually, we do have picks left in those alternating years. But for both to intentionally and cleverly mislead the representative minimal value ranges of those remaining picks as if they're actual quality assets is disappointing and ultimately disingenuous to the premise of the fan's concerns.

Aside from that point though, This podcast is a perfect example of everything that so many people on here have been saying is fundamentally wrong with James Jones regarding the draft. And his own direct comments parroting Ishbias' pompous and condescending response about not caring about the future with some 7th grader is yet another admission by Jones that he simply doesn't care about the draft, and even worse, his body of work and glaring lack of success only furthers this argument for all the elite talent he's overlooked. And a substantial reason as to why he shouldn't hold any front-office position in the NBA! :D

Calm down there turbo...perhaps he didnt say that the swaps dont move to the end of the first round because its not true? They wont be incurring penalties on picks that were already traded. They will be unable to trade their '32 1st if they remain over the 2nd apron by the end of the upcoming season. That will be the first time 2nd apron draft pick penalties are enforced. The swap rights for picks before that are still dependent on the records of the teams involved. It'll be the worst of the 3 picks...but wouldnt be 30th unless one of the 3 teams has the best record in the league.

First off, How'd you know my nickname man? J/k.....lol :lol: But I believe we're going to disagree on a few points here:

perhaps he didnt say that the swaps dont move to the end of the first round because its not true?

But it is absolutely true, all you have to do is look at the 2nd apron penalties for NBA teams man!
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-second-apron-explained-salary-cap-team-spending/efo6htjzzmzrswoncvvlbmhi
All of the penalties for the first apron apply to the second apron as well, which is triggered when a team's salary exceeds $182.5 million. For the 2023-24 season, one additional penalty is added when crossing the second apron:

- No access to the $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception
-Starting at the end of the 2023-24 season, even more restrictions will be added to the second apron. These include:

-Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players
-Teams cannot include cash in a trade
-Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year
-First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)
- A team's first-round pick is moved to the end of the first round if they remain in the second apron for three out of five seasons

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/PHO.html
So when looking at our next three seasons, this last season, as well as the next two, we're well over the 2nd apron $182 million tax line. And my point of discussion is again the picks swaps here that begin in 2026 for us because picks 2025, 2027, and 2029 are already traded away to Brooklyn. But again, I'm talking about our pick swaps which begin for us in 2026 and going forward in alternating years going forward to 2030. So during that time, unless we drastically reduce our payroll and break up our "big three" which is highly unlikely given Ishbias' "All in" every year statement, we'll continue operating over the 2nd apron. And that's the basis of determination for our teams' pick being moved to the last pick (#30) of the first round per multiple articles and the updated CBA info itself.

They won't be incurring penalties on picks that were already traded.

Again, per my posts, we're talking about the pick swaps that still have yet to begin in 2026, not the picks that we've already traded to Brooklyn. I'll concede that I misstated the part about the swaps beginning in 2025 when they actually begin in 2026. But that honestly changes nothing about the facts that our pick swaps beginning in 2026, and going forward (up to 2030) as long as we maintain our 2nd apron payroll, which again is very likely given Ishbias' "ALL IN EVERY YEAR" statements will be penalized as a 2nd apron team and our pick will be moved to the last pick of the first round or pick #30.

They will be unable to trade their '32 1st if they remain over the 2nd apron by the end of the upcoming season.

I don't at all disagree with you on this point, And I even mention this same point in a different post response to Garricks' post reply too. But again, where discussing the draft details for the corresponding pick swaps for alternating years, because the picks from the BRK KD trade are already traded and irrelevant to my points in my post as Brooklyn owns those picks. Which again is why I reference the picks swaps in my post because that's what BOTH Ishbia and Gerald Bourget are referencing themselves as us still having draft assets going forward. At no point have I claimed that we don't either! My argument has always been the omitted details surrounding those swaps as stated in my post.

But I do disagree with you that 2032 will be the first time those penalties are enforced! Again, clearly, per the above-referenced article, and even the updated information of the CBA itself, it states that for any team which exceeds the 2nd apron threshold of $182,5 million in (which we already clearly have at $190+ million going forward)
and will obviously continue to do so if you believe Ishbias' "ALL IN EVERY YEAR" statements from his press conference. And as a 2nd apron team operating well above the $182 threshold and even further above it once Allens' new deal is added, we resign O'neale, Likely extend KD for around 60 million or more per annum, and then fill out our roster, short of Ishbia abruptly changing course, we'll very obviously maintain our 2nd apron status. Meaning, that this next season will be our 2nd year in it and again, our pick swaps which begin in 2026 will trigger that 2nd apron penalty which will stay in effect until we obviously drop back below that threshold. So we'll absolutely incur those penalties well before 2032 beginning in 2026 when our pick swaps begin. Yes, I'll concede that I had the first pick swap wrong stating it as 2025, my bad! I apologize for that mistake. However, that misstatement doesn't at all change the facts or basis of my argument referencing the alternating pick swaps. It still is what it is per the information referenced above.

The swap rights for picks before that are still dependent on the records of the teams involved. It'll be the worst of the 3 picks...but wouldn't be 30th unless one of the 3 teams has the best record in the league.

Again, I agree with you that the swap rights are determined by individual team records involved in the swaps, that's not a point of contention that I'm arguing here. I also agree that the pick we receive will be the worst of the 3 as mentioned in various articles:

https://arizonasports.com/story/3546524/nba-draft-order-finalized-suns-pick-no-22-overall-after-tiebreakers/#:~:text=The%20Suns%20do%20not%20own,the%20Durant%20and%20Beal%20deals.
The Suns do not own a 2025, 2027, or 2029 first-rounder after the Kevin Durant trade, while in 2026, 2028, and 2030 they get the least favorable pick via swaps from the Durant and Beal deals.

But our pick absolutely would be #30 BECAUSE again, the corresponding 2nd apron penalties are based upon that team's 2nd apron salary status as we are clearly in that tier and will be going forward. And the penalties that move that pick to the last pick of the first round (pick #30) really have nothing to do with a team's competitive record because it's based on overall salary commitment under the new CBA. Now if your corresponding argument is that we'd somehow get a better pick in the swap between the three teams, per the conditions of the swaps, we'd get the "least favorable of" the three picks, and under those conditions IF we weren't already a 2nd apron team, then those penalties wouldn't apply, and we might have a chance to get a slightly better pick than 30 IF both of those other two teams didn't fall in that specific range. But again, WE ARE a 2nd apron team, and aside from maybe the pick in 2025 (which we don't own anyways), 2026 and the rest of our 5 pick swaps would fall under those penalties and thusly be moved to the last (30th) pick for that round. The whole 3 team conditions that apply to those pick swaps are ultimately completely separate from our apron penalties which would still supersede any outlier outcomes for us landing a least favorable pick from one of those other two teams even if those other two teams finished above the 30th pick range. Because once the least favorable range is determined, and we obtain that pick range, it's still immediately moved to the last pick of that round per the CBA penalties.

So I do kind of get your suggested argument! But my understanding is still that whatever pick outcome of the swaps we ultimately receive because our 2nd apron threshold has been/is exceeded, we'll still trigger those corresponding penalties listed above. So even if we somehow finished worse than those other two teams in Washington or Memphis, which is highly unlikely (maybe a very slight outlier chance with Memphis) we'd still take possession of said pick and then that pick (under our acquisition would still trigger the penalties once it's determined to become ours (as long as we still fall under the conditions of those 2nd apron penalties. :D

Unnecessary novels aside...just look at second little blurb of bullet points YOU wrote. It says your draft pick seven years out is frozen. The pick swaps owed are two, four, and six years out. The argument is pretty much DOA right there. You see the Suns themselves talking about trading their '31 1st (seven years out), so that should be another clue that it's not affected. Should probably end the post there, but...

If you want technical verbiage, here's an excerpt from the CBA itself on the NBPA website:

Spoiler:
(1) As used in this Agreement, the following terms shall have the
following meanings:

(i) “Second Apron Team” means, for a Salary Cap Year, a Team
that, as of the start of the Team’s last Regular Season game
occurring within such Salary Cap Year, has an Apron Team
Salary for such Salary Cap Year that exceeds the Second
Apron Level for such Salary Cap Year.

(ii) “Draft Pick Penalty” means, for a Team’s first round draft
pick, that such draft pick shall be the final draft pick in the
first round of the applicable NBA Draft (regardless of the
position in the first round of the Draft at which the Team
otherwise would have selected pursuant to NBA rules
governing the order of selection by Teams in the Draft);
provided, however, that, if multiple Teams’ first round draft
picks are each subject to a Draft Pick Penalty in respect of
the same NBA Draft, then the Teams with such first round
draft picks shall select in the inverse order of their winning
percentage for the Regular Season immediately preceding
such NBA Draft (with priority in selection among any such
Teams tied on a winning percentage basis established
pursuant to NBA rules governing the order of selection by
Teams in the Draft). For example, if Team A’s and Team
B’s first round draft picks in the 2032 NBA Draft are each
subject to a Draft Pick Penalty, and Team A finished with a
better winning percentage than Team B for the 2031-32
Regular Season, then Team A would make the final selection
in the first round of the 2032 NBA Draft and Team B would
make the immediately preceding selection.

(2) Beginning with the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, if a Team is a
Second Apron Team for a Salary Cap Year, then:

(i) the Team shall be prohibited from trading (either
conditionally or unconditionally) its first round draft pick in
the first NBA Draft that occurs following the seventh
Season that follows the Season occurring within such Salary
Cap Year; and

(ii) with respect to the four (4) Salary Cap Years immediately
following such Salary Cap Year:

(A) If the Team is a Second Apron Team for two (2) or
more of such four (4) Salary Cap Years, then such
first round draft pick shall be subject to a Draft Pick
Penalty; and

(B) If the Team is a Second Apron Team for fewer than
two (2) of such four (4) Salary Cap Years, then, as of
the day following the last day of the Regular Season
encompassed by the third of such four (4) Salary Cap
Years in which the Team is not a Second Apron
Team, such Team shall be permitted to trade
(conditionally or unconditionally) such first round
draft pick. For clarity, such first round draft pick
shall not be subject to a Draft Pick Penalty.

Example: If Team A is a Second Apron Team for the 2024-25 Salary Cap
Year, then it would be prohibited from trading its 2032 first round draft pick
(i.e., its first round draft pick in the first NBA Draft that occurs following the
seventh Season that follows the Season occurring within such Salary Cap Year).
If Team A is also a Second Apron Team for the 2025-26 and 2028-29 Salary
Cap Years, then Team A’s 2032 first round draft pick would be subject to a
Draft Pick Penalty.

Example: If Team B is a Second Apron Team for the 2024-25 Salary Cap
Year, then it would be prohibited from trading its 2032 first round draft pick.
If Team B is not a Second Apron Team in the 2025-26, 2026-27, and
2027-28 Salary Cap Years, then Team B would be permitted to trade its 2032
first round draft pick as of the day following the last day of the 2027-28 Regular
Season (and such first round draft pick would not be subject to a Draft Pick
Penalty).

I realize the reporting out there is confusing on what it means for something to "start after the '23/'24 season," as some things do obviously apply right now for the off-season (no contract aggregation for trades, etc). But in the case of frozen/penalized draft picks, it is determined at the last game of the regular season (so the last game of '24/'25 season), which would mean that the first application of frozen draft picks would occur for '32 draft picks (check out the bolded example). And that only means it can't be traded, it doesn't get penalized and moved to the end of the round until you're in the 2nd apron for two more of the next 4 years.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,649

Re: Around the NBA - 23-24 Other playoff series 

Post#268 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:33 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
In this video, at around 1:47 seconds in, Booker is asked if he believes (the current roster under Ishbias' strategy) the Suns actually have enough talent to win a championship!! AND he honestly doesn't sound too enthused or confident in our current situation to achieve that goal. Now the reason that I bring this up is for the relevance of recent discussions and rumors of Booker potentially wanting out of Phoenix, whether that's to a better situation (in terms of depth and assets) like New York, or possibly another team in contention or close to it with much better depth and stability to achieve the goal of a championship.

I really can see it as a reasonable possibility that IF we have another disappointing outcome next season (which we will)!! And fall short of the finals and a championship, Booker will begin voicing his displeasure with our situation and want out. KD of course will likely make his demands heard on this too likely being the first to issue a trade demand rather than wasting his final years not "realistically" competing for a championship, but just treadmilling. But the bigger concern is Booker's infatuation and the infectious traits of KD's mercenarial perspective being absorbed by and now emulated by Booker wherein if KD gets frustrated and asks out, Booker will likely follow suit copying his idol. :-?

So indirectly, due to Ishbias' very impulsive and shortsighted decisions may unintentionally begin our rebuild within the next two years with other teams still holding the value of our picks over the coming 7-8 years. Really the only consolation for us is that once Ishbia and Jones give away our 2022 and 2031 picks, The league institutes a more severe version of the Stepian rule in which they actually will freeze that 2032 pick to protect a franchise from terrible idiotic ownership decisions. I can honestly say that we clearly have the 2nd reiteration of Ted Stepian in Ishbia who treats our franchise like his fantasy league hobby, which is very fitting considering how much time he actually spends in fantasyland instead of actual reality!

We have to be one of the only old teams ever, who, after getting swept in a first round, are thinking about how we have enough talent right now to win a championship. It's ridiculous that people talk about it. We hardly even looked like a contender most of the season.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,006

Post#269 » by TeamTragic » Sun May 5, 2024 2:04 am

Based on what I'm seeing since the press conference there really aren't any available coaches unless we see some blockbuster trades in the off season.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#270 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 5, 2024 3:10 am

dremill24 wrote:
Spoiler:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
Calm down there turbo...perhaps he didnt say that the swaps dont move to the end of the first round because its not true? They wont be incurring penalties on picks that were already traded. They will be unable to trade their '32 1st if they remain over the 2nd apron by the end of the upcoming season. That will be the first time 2nd apron draft pick penalties are enforced. The swap rights for picks before that are still dependent on the records of the teams involved. It'll be the worst of the 3 picks...but wouldnt be 30th unless one of the 3 teams has the best record in the league.

First off, How'd you know my nickname man? J/k.....lol :lol: But I believe we're going to disagree on a few points here:

perhaps he didnt say that the swaps dont move to the end of the first round because its not true?

But it is absolutely true, all you have to do is look at the 2nd apron penalties for NBA teams man!
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-second-apron-explained-salary-cap-team-spending/efo6htjzzmzrswoncvvlbmhi
All of the penalties for the first apron apply to the second apron as well, which is triggered when a team's salary exceeds $182.5 million. For the 2023-24 season, one additional penalty is added when crossing the second apron:

- No access to the $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception
-Starting at the end of the 2023-24 season, even more restrictions will be added to the second apron. These include:

-Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players
-Teams cannot include cash in a trade
-Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year
-First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)
- A team's first-round pick is moved to the end of the first round if they remain in the second apron for three out of five seasons

So when looking at our next three seasons, this last season, as well as the next two, we're well over the 2nd apron $182 million tax line. And my point of discussion is again the picks swaps here that begin in 2026 for us because picks 2025, 2027, and 2029 are already traded away to Brooklyn. But again, I'm talking about our pick swaps which begin for us in 2026 and going forward in alternating years going forward to 2030. So during that time, unless we drastically reduce our payroll and break up our "big three" which is highly unlikely given Ishbias' "All in" every year statement, we'll continue operating over the 2nd apron. And that's the basis of determination for our teams' pick being moved to the last pick (#30) of the first round per multiple articles and the updated CBA info itself.

They won't be incurring penalties on picks that were already traded.

Again, per my posts, we're talking about the pick swaps that still have yet to begin in 2026, not the picks that we've already traded to Brooklyn. I'll concede that I misstated the part about the swaps beginning in 2025 when they actually begin in 2026. But that honestly changes nothing about the facts that our pick swaps beginning in 2026, and going forward (up to 2030) as long as we maintain our 2nd apron payroll, which again is very likely given Ishbias' "ALL IN EVERY YEAR" statements will be penalized as a 2nd apron team and our pick will be moved to the last pick of the first round or pick #30.

They will be unable to trade their '32 1st if they remain over the 2nd apron by the end of the upcoming season.

I don't at all disagree with you on this point, And I even mention this same point in a different post response to Garricks' post reply too. But again, where discussing the draft details for the corresponding pick swaps for alternating years, because the picks from the BRK KD trade are already traded and irrelevant to my points in my post as Brooklyn owns those picks. Which again is why I reference the picks swaps in my post because that's what BOTH Ishbia and Gerald Bourget are referencing themselves as us still having draft assets going forward. At no point have I claimed that we don't either! My argument has always been the omitted details surrounding those swaps as stated in my post.

But I do disagree with you that 2032 will be the first time those penalties are enforced! Again, clearly, per the above-referenced article, and even the updated information of the CBA itself, it states that for any team which exceeds the 2nd apron threshold of $182,5 million in (which we already clearly have at $190+ million going forward)
and will obviously continue to do so if you believe Ishbias' "ALL IN EVERY YEAR" statements from his press conference. And as a 2nd apron team operating well above the $182 threshold and even further above it once Allens' new deal is added, we resign O'neale, Likely extend KD for around 60 million or more per annum, and then fill out our roster, short of Ishbia abruptly changing course, we'll very obviously maintain our 2nd apron status. Meaning, that this next season will be our 2nd year in it and again, our pick swaps which begin in 2026 will trigger that 2nd apron penalty which will stay in effect until we obviously drop back below that threshold. So we'll absolutely incur those penalties well before 2032 beginning in 2026 when our pick swaps begin. Yes, I'll concede that I had the first pick swap wrong stating it as 2025, my bad! I apologize for that mistake. However, that misstatement doesn't at all change the facts or basis of my argument referencing the alternating pick swaps. It still is what it is per the information referenced above.

The swap rights for picks before that are still dependent on the records of the teams involved. It'll be the worst of the 3 picks...but wouldn't be 30th unless one of the 3 teams has the best record in the league.

Again, I agree with you that the swap rights are determined by individual team records involved in the swaps, that's not a point of contention that I'm arguing here. I also agree that the pick we receive will be the worst of the 3 as mentioned in various articles:

https://arizonasports.com/story/3546524/nba-draft-order-finalized-suns-pick-no-22-overall-after-tiebreakers/#:~:text=The%20Suns%20do%20not%20own,the%20Durant%20and%20Beal%20deals.
The Suns do not own a 2025, 2027, or 2029 first-rounder after the Kevin Durant trade, while in 2026, 2028, and 2030 they get the least favorable pick via swaps from the Durant and Beal deals.

But our pick absolutely would be #30 BECAUSE again, the corresponding 2nd apron penalties are based upon that team's 2nd apron salary status as we are clearly in that tier and will be going forward. And the penalties that move that pick to the last pick of the first round (pick #30) really have nothing to do with a team's competitive record because it's based on overall salary commitment under the new CBA. Now if your corresponding argument is that we'd somehow get a better pick in the swap between the three teams, per the conditions of the swaps, we'd get the "least favorable of" the three picks, and under those conditions IF we weren't already a 2nd apron team, then those penalties wouldn't apply, and we might have a chance to get a slightly better pick than 30 IF both of those other two teams didn't fall in that specific range. But again, WE ARE a 2nd apron team, and aside from maybe the pick in 2025 (which we don't own anyways), 2026 and the rest of our 5 pick swaps would fall under those penalties and thusly be moved to the last (30th) pick for that round. The whole 3 team conditions that apply to those pick swaps are ultimately completely separate from our apron penalties which would still supersede any outlier outcomes for us landing a least favorable pick from one of those other two teams even if those other two teams finished above the 30th pick range. Because once the least favorable range is determined, and we obtain that pick range, it's still immediately moved to the last pick of that round per the CBA penalties.

So I do kind of get your suggested argument! But my understanding is still that whatever pick outcome of the swaps we ultimately receive because our 2nd apron threshold has been/is exceeded, we'll still trigger those corresponding penalties listed above. So even if we somehow finished worse than those other two teams in Washington or Memphis, which is highly unlikely (maybe a very slight outlier chance with Memphis) we'd still take possession of said pick and then that pick (under our acquisition would still trigger the penalties once it's determined to become ours (as long as we still fall under the conditions of those 2nd apron penalties. :D

Unnecessary novels aside...just look at second little blurb of bullet points YOU wrote. It says your draft pick seven years out is frozen. The pick swaps owed are two, four, and six years out. The argument is pretty much DOA right there. You see the Suns themselves talking about trading their '31 1st (seven years out), so that should be another clue that it's not affected. Should probably end the post there, but...

If you want technical verbiage, here's an excerpt from the CBA itself on the NBPA website:

Spoiler:
(1) As used in this Agreement, the following terms shall have the
following meanings:

(i) “Second Apron Team” means, for a Salary Cap Year, a Team
that, as of the start of the Team’s last Regular Season game
occurring within such Salary Cap Year, has an Apron Team
Salary for such Salary Cap Year that exceeds the Second
Apron Level for such Salary Cap Year.

(ii) “Draft Pick Penalty” means, for a Team’s first round draft
pick, that such draft pick shall be the final draft pick in the
first round of the applicable NBA Draft (regardless of the
position in the first round of the Draft at which the Team
otherwise would have selected pursuant to NBA rules
governing the order of selection by Teams in the Draft);
provided, however, that, if multiple Teams’ first round draft
picks are each subject to a Draft Pick Penalty in respect of
the same NBA Draft, then the Teams with such first round
draft picks shall select in the inverse order of their winning
percentage for the Regular Season immediately preceding
such NBA Draft (with priority in selection among any such
Teams tied on a winning percentage basis established
pursuant to NBA rules governing the order of selection by
Teams in the Draft). For example, if Team A’s and Team
B’s first round draft picks in the 2032 NBA Draft are each
subject to a Draft Pick Penalty, and Team A finished with a
better winning percentage than Team B for the 2031-32
Regular Season, then Team A would make the final selection
in the first round of the 2032 NBA Draft and Team B would
make the immediately preceding selection.

(2) Beginning with the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, if a Team is a
Second Apron Team for a Salary Cap Year, then:

(i) the Team shall be prohibited from trading (either
conditionally or unconditionally) its first round draft pick in
the first NBA Draft that occurs following the seventh
Season that follows the Season occurring within such Salary
Cap Year; and

(ii) with respect to the four (4) Salary Cap Years immediately
following such Salary Cap Year:

(A) If the Team is a Second Apron Team for two (2) or
more of such four (4) Salary Cap Years, then such
first round draft pick shall be subject to a Draft Pick
Penalty; and

(B) If the Team is a Second Apron Team for fewer than
two (2) of such four (4) Salary Cap Years, then, as of
the day following the last day of the Regular Season
encompassed by the third of such four (4) Salary Cap
Years in which the Team is not a Second Apron
Team, such Team shall be permitted to trade
(conditionally or unconditionally) such first round
draft pick. For clarity, such first round draft pick
shall not be subject to a Draft Pick Penalty.

Year, then it would be prohibited from trading its 2032 first round draft pick
(i.e., its first round draft pick in the first NBA Draft that occurs following the
Draft Pick Penalty.

Example: If Team B is a Second Apron Team for the 2024-25 Salary Cap
Year, then it would be prohibited from trading its 2032 first round draft pick.
If Team B is not a Second Apron Team in the 2025-26, 2026-27, and
2027-28 Salary Cap Years, then Team B would be permitted to trade its 2032
first round draft pick as of the day following the last day of the 2027-28 Regular
Season (and such first round draft pick would not be subject to a Draft Pick
Penalty).

I realize the reporting out there is confusing on what it means for something to "start after the '23/'24 season," as some things do obviously apply right now for the off-season (no contract aggregation for trades, etc). But in the case of frozen/penalized draft picks, it is determined at the last game of the regular season (so the last game of '24/'25 season), which would mean that the first application of frozen draft picks would occur for '32 draft picks (check out the bolded example). And that only means it can't be traded, it doesn't get penalized and moved to the end of the round until you're in the 2nd apron for two more of the next 4 years.

Year,
then it would be prohibited from trading its 2032 first round draft pick
Draft Pick Penalty.

So from this information that you shared, and how it's worded though complex and somewhat convoluted, I'm seeing what you're saying. With the key point being..................its first-round draft pick in the first NBA Draft that occurs following the seventh Season that follows the Season occurring within such Salary Cap Year).

You were 100% correct and I was clearly wrong about the swaps penalties and should've looked deeper at the CBA details from the source rather than that article. I think the confusion for me was from trusting the wording of that sporting news article's bullet points from the link with it saying:

What are the penalties for the second apron?

No access to the $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception
Starting at the end of the 2023-24 season, even more restrictions will be added to the second apron. These include:

- Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players
- Teams cannot include cash in a trade
- Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year
- First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)

The article from that link obviously ends there without going into further/complete detail per the actual CBA information. And the other confusion for me was in the "if they remain a 2nd apron team for 3 out of 5 seasons" because when you're looking at their total allocated team salaries for 2023-2024 season, and heading into the 2024-2025 season as well, it has us as being over that $190 million threshold. And then obviously in the following years, you'd have KDs' extension, along with Books' supermax adjustment and Beals' 57 million player option, as well as Allens' new deal added and O'neales' too keeping us above the 2nd apron level. But again, that's me overthinking the simple details that you just shared from the cba that define your point. But thank you again for correcting me on that man. And sharing with me the correct and accurate information from the source itself. I'll have to do much better hopefully going forward. :thumbsup:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#271 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 5, 2024 3:20 am

TeamTragic wrote:Based on what I'm seeing since the press conference there really aren't any available coaches unless we see some blockbuster trades in the off-season.

I was kind of hoping for the Kings to go a different direction from Mike Brown per the earlier reports out there saying they didn't decide if they wanted to bring him back after they flamed out in the play-in tournament. He did help them orchestrate their high-end league-leading offensive schemes. I mean he has won coach of the year honors before and has 4 championships from his time with San Antonio and also with the Golden State Warriors too. And of course maybe David Joerger as a defensive assistant too. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#272 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 5, 2024 3:46 am

Read on Twitter
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#273 » by TeamTragic » Sun May 5, 2024 4:34 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

You think this was what Flex was alluding to when he said there was a "scenario".

I mean would Harden address our issues?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#274 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 5, 2024 5:43 am

Lindsey Smith :love: (PHNX) and Aaron Edwards in a short 6-7 minute video discuss the tough questions around our teams' offseason. :D
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,413

Post#275 » by Puff » Sun May 5, 2024 5:45 am

No it's not. That is unless you move Booker or Beal. He probably will help us in the future but our biggest priority by far is another nasty big that wants to rebound and play defense.

A new head coach could solve the point guard issue.

If we have a legit big available to us as a free agent, I am all for Kolek.

We cannot go into next season with Nurkic and Drew as our bigs. Bol Bol is either a SG or SF.

The real problem is having these three guys in the starting lineup

Booker
Beal
Allen

We are far too small.

We could not get a rebound to save our soul last year when really needed to.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#276 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 5, 2024 5:56 am

TeamTragic wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

You think this was what Flex was alluding to when he said there was a "scenario".

I mean would Harden address our issues?

It's definitely possible? It wouldn't shock me too much either considering Hardens' recent connection with KD in Brooklyn and willingness to team up in order to form super teams. Although I'm not exactly sure how this would work to get Harden here. Sure they mention that he's an unrestricted free agent, BUT do people really believe he'd be willing to sign here on a minimum? Or could it possibly become a sign-and-trade with LA somehow getting Beal in a swap? With Beal, I'm just not sure he'd agree to that trade. But all things considered, I'd think I'd prefer Harden for his playmaking and willingness to shoot a lot of threes! And Balmer is one owner who likely wouldn't balk at Beals' salary either! :dontknow:
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,322

Post#277 » by DirtyDez » Sun May 5, 2024 6:05 am

Beal for Bum Simmons would put us under the 2nd apron within a year. KD expires in 2026 and we’d have a ton of cap space. Just a thought.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#278 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 5, 2024 6:15 am

DirtyDez wrote:Beal for Bum Simmons would put us under the 2nd apron within a year. KD expires in 2026 and we’d have a ton of cap space. Just a thought.

This premise has been discussed a bit on here by a few people, and I for my part find it an intriguing idea for various reasons.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 855

Re: Around the NBA - 23-24 Other playoff series 

Post#279 » by Desertfox » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Desertfox wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have a strong feeling Tobias Harris or Ben Simmons are gonna somehow end up on the Suns by season start next season. I know Simmons is under contract on an awful contract and all but still somehow I feel like it could still happen.

That’s gonna be our big addition which will propel us into championship contenders! Other 26 teams in the league will be trembling in fear.

Simmons on the vet min would actually fit the team as a small ball PF/PG that can defend and needs zero shots. Would need a C that can shot 3s though. Would be a way to get off Beal's contract if the Suns could convince him to waive the NTC. Beal would work in BKN as we know Booker was great with the twins.

I love that you can see the Beal for Simmons/ Schroder (change) type exchange with Brooklyn too. Like I mentioned earlier, it's basically a really bad (perceived) contract for contract exchange. The incentive for Brooklyn is that at least Beal could offer significant production for his $13 million more salary difference, and would actually play sometimes and is somewhat of a star-level player looking for a bigger role anyways, which actually makes him a good fit in Brooklyn alongside Cam Thomas because they're hungry to be more competitive and make the playoffs to offset the value exchange of the picks they gave up to Houston in the Harden deal. So the incentive is definitely there! And with Beal, they'd have a very potent offensive backcourt of Beal/Thomas that Bridges and Johnson could easily play off of. Then if they just resign Claxton, they'd have a very productive and potent balanced roster to compliment there offensive backcourt of Beal and Thomas with their solid defensive wings in Bridges/ Finney Smith, and solid defensive forwards in Claxton and Clowney too.

Lastly, with them having our picks, the idea of them swapping out Beal as a legit star-level contributor, for Simmons would be a very enticing premise as we'd be swapping a player with actual impact/production, for a player that might not even play again. escalating the potential value of our picks they hold. These factors seem much more appealing than alternatively just letting Simmons expire and trying to use the cap space to target players in free agency with no guarantees. I do however envision Simmons more in a Draymond Green type of role to mitigate his lack of shooting, and try to maximize his elite defense and playmaking at the 3/4 possibly even 5 position. I wonder if you see the possibilities in such a role as defensive/playmaking jumbo wing/forward with multipositional defensive and playmaking potential. Unconventional, but possibly very effective in giving Simmons a role in which he'd be comfortable in not having offensive pressure on him.

** And during that role term, he'd increase the size of our frontline playing alongside KD at 6'11 similar to a role that Mcdaniels played for Minnesota, but with less shooting prominence. At absolute worst, I think value could be pulled having him operate as a 6'11 jumbo defensive wing that also could help handle the ball competently and pass too. :dontknow:

That's exactly what I'm thinking, Simmons just fits a lot of the holes the team has and doesnt need to shot which the team has plenty off. And if it doesnt work? Well he is a giant expiring contract and the team will need to rebuild anyways. Its as good as we will get.
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#280 » by TeamTragic » Sun May 5, 2024 7:30 am

DirtyDez wrote:Beal for Bum Simmons would put us under the 2nd apron within a year. KD expires in 2026 and we’d have a ton of cap space. Just a thought.

Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby

Return to Phoenix Suns