Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,422

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#781 » by Puff » Sat May 11, 2024 9:05 am

wow

Congratulations to Coach Budd

Ish took care of one problem now what does he do about the real problem, James Jones?

Fizdale was offered a position in the front office and has reportedly turned it down, good riddance.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,422

Post#782 » by Puff » Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 am

Why do we want to trade Nurkic for peanuts?

For a lot of the year he might have been our most consistent player. He rebounded well and was really a good playmaker. Coach Budd stresses the importance of ball movement. Nurk should fit in nicely.

However, I would love to see us draft a big rather than trading our draft pick for anyone. I think we can get the additional ball handler/PG off the scrap heap.

I would not trade any of the Big Three unless we get an offer that we cannot turn down. I do not see that happening. If we just trade one of them for a bag of peanuts, what good is that going to do?

Unfortunately, KD could be our real locker room problem. If that is the case I guess a bag of peanuts would work just fine.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,779

Post#783 » by lilfishi22 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:35 am

Djedefre wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:I'd much rather go with Hurley if he is indeed a candidate. Bud is a good coach, but not exactly out-of-this-world good, and this team is doomed already. We'll eventually have to trade all these 'star' guys to retrieve at least some picks, so a developing coach and a creative mind with hunger would make much more sense. But we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Ain't gonna happen cos it makes no sense. Why would you get the development coach when we're not blowing it up?

Because all this 'continuity' bullcrap is just delaying the inevitable. Another utter failure that awaits us is going to force things - even if Ishbia stays delusional, guys will ask for trades and start to make ultimatums with preferred destinations and he'll have no cap space to sign a mere ballboy, let alone a 'quality vet piece'. Better to have a guy already in place, to adjust to new surroundings and gain experience.

Either we blow it up and get some newbie coach or we don't blow it up and get Bud.

Clearly we weren't gonna blow it up so your rookie coach made no sense whatsoever
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,264

Post#784 » by Bogyo » Sat May 11, 2024 12:06 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Ain't gonna happen cos it makes no sense. Why would you get the development coach when we're not blowing it up?

Because all this 'continuity' bullcrap is just delaying the inevitable. Another utter failure that awaits us is going to force things - even if Ishbia stays delusional, guys will ask for trades and start to make ultimatums with preferred destinations and he'll have no cap space to sign a mere ballboy, let alone a 'quality vet piece'. Better to have a guy already in place, to adjust to new surroundings and gain experience.

Either we blow it up and get some newbie coach or we don't blow it up and get Bud.

Clearly we weren't gonna blow it up so your rookie coach made no sense whatsoever

Yea, we blow it up next year after the two clowns proove again that they can't be coached. Hopefully a new GM will manage that, assassin style - Booker and KD to the highest bidder, same day, out of the blue, I don't care where they want to play, be it Charlotte or Toronto. Both of you pissed away your right to pick a destination, good riddance with your "brand" and your fugly looking sneakers.
(Beal can go as well for all I care, but at least he looked like he is trying sometimes... plus he is pretty much untradeable, and if we get some legit players for the clowns he could be a useful starter on a team, besides the fact that he is waaaay overpaid)

Coach Bud on a 5 year contract might be able to do something with that.

#waiting for the next chapter
# waiting for the next chapter
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,846

Post#785 » by RedIndian » Sat May 11, 2024 1:44 pm

I have two trades to suggest for re-modeling the team to Bud's style:

Nurkic + #22 for Isaiah Stewart, Marcus Sasser
Allen + 2031 for Deni Avdija

Free agency - sign Royce, Daniel Theis and Bol

Stewart / Theis
Durant / Bol
Avdija / Royce
Booker / Little
Beal / Sasser

Avdija is my favourite role player acquisition who I think would be the perfect compliment to the big 3. Legit 6'9, defends multiple positions, is a superb connective passer and a much improved shooter. He's on the verge of breaking out, and is on an excellent contract, so can't see Washington giving him up easily. But if we're going to trade the 2031 pick (which undoubtedly would be very attractive for teams), this is the kind of player I'd want to be trading for. Deni is exactly the kind of Draymond, Aaron Gordon type of 4th best player that you need on a championship team. Would hugely compensate for the lack of a true PG as well, as you could run multiple pick and roll actions with Beal and Book as ball-handlers and Deni as a screener/passing hub in the short roll.

Stewart is the only viable 3 point shooting bigman that I think we could acquire for Nurkic's contract. Just don't see any other target being gettable. Pistons are committed to Duren at C, plus Beef Stew's temper issues are something they'd probably be happy to be rid off. For us, if we can get past the fact Stew punched Eubanks, it might be lowkey a very good acquisition. Beef Stew would bring a lot of toughness and edge to a team that's sorely lacking it, and he's become an excellent 3 point shooter. Sasser is a throw in for #22 - he was a bright spot for Detroit this year - excellent POA defender and an emerging microwave scorer.

We give up our picks, but get younger and more athletic.
With this, we'd play fast, 5 out basketball, and be significantly faster and quicker at a switch style defense. A team modeled on Bud's Hawks rather than the Bucks though. Trying to replicate the Bucks is stupid because we don't have Giannis or Brook.
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 684

Post#786 » by Djedefre » Sat May 11, 2024 2:15 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Ain't gonna happen cos it makes no sense. Why would you get the development coach when we're not blowing it up?

Point is, we WILL blow it up in a year, so this Bud thing could basically be a 1yr rental. I just think that's wasting of both his and our time. He's a solid coach, but not an alchemist. He can not deliver in these circumstances (no one can). So a rookie coach could do pretty much the same (nothing worth mentioning) while adapting and learning for the future. If anyone thinks Bud is going to fix Durant or light the competitive fire in Booker, i can only say i'm terribly sorry.

The same logic was used when hiring Vogel - seasoned coach with PO success, recent NBA champion, you simply cannot bring a newbie to coach all those stars, you need a man of authority so they can buy-in blah blah. Did it actually work? So i'd be a little more cautious when judging that alternate route makes no sense.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,264

Post#787 » by Bogyo » Sat May 11, 2024 2:57 pm

Djedefre wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:

Point is, we WILL blow it up in a year, so this Bud thing could basically be a 1yr rental. I just think that's wasting of both his and our time. He's a solid coach, but not an alchemist. He can not deliver in these circumstances (no one can). So a rookie coach could do pretty much the same (nothing worth mentioning) while adapting and learning for the future. If anyone thinks Bud is going to fix Durant or light the competitive fire in Booker, i can only say i'm terribly sorry.

The same logic was used when hiring Vogel - seasoned coach with PO success, recent NBA champion, you simply cannot bring a newbie to coach all those stars, you need a man of authority so they can buy-in blah blah. Did it actually work? So i'd be a little more cautious when judging that alternate route makes no sense.

I think Bud will be the perfect coach when (not "if") we blow it up after next season. Bring in whatever they can for whoever they can, maybe one guy staying from the "big3" - the one who gets the least offered for. With the players/picks coming back we'll likely be a fringe playoff team, who overachieves becouse of Bud's coaching, much like his 60 win Hawks team whose main players were Millsap, Teague and Korver. Not exactley an all star crew if you catch my drift.
# waiting for the next chapter
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,156

Post#788 » by garrick » Sat May 11, 2024 3:17 pm

Puff wrote:Why do we want to trade Nurkic for peanuts?

For a lot of the year he might have been our most consistent player. He rebounded well and was really a good playmaker. Coach Budd stresses the importance of ball movement. Nurk should fit in nicely.

However, I would love to see us draft a big rather than trading our draft pick for anyone. I think we can get the additional ball handler/PG off the scrap heap.

I would not trade any of the Big Three unless we get an offer that we cannot turn down. I do not see that happening. If we just trade one of them for a bag of peanuts, what good is that going to do?

Unfortunately, KD could be our real locker room problem. If that is the case I guess a bag of peanuts would work just fine.

Doesn't matter if he's a good playmaker when his lack of speed and finishing ability is a major liability and he is just going to get worse as he's almost 30 and isn't going to get any faster.

If you can get someone younger and quicker who isn't going to be a huge downgrade on defense you kind of have to consider trading him.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,186

Post#789 » by sunsbg » Sat May 11, 2024 3:18 pm

Bogyo wrote:
Djedefre wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Either we blow it up and get some newbie coach or we don't blow it up and get Bud.

I think Bud will be the perfect coach when (not "if") we blow it up after next season. Bring in whatever they can for whoever they can, maybe one guy staying from the "big3" - the one who gets the least offered for. With the players/picks coming back we'll likely be a fringe playoff team, who overachieves becouse of Bud's coaching, much like his 60 win Hawks team whose main players were Millsap, Teague and Korver. Not exactley an all star crew if you catch my drift.

Yeah, if they blow it up it doesn't mean Suns are going the Benders, Josh Jacksons, etc. route. More like signing/trading for overpaid, experienced players. In other words a mediocre rather than a bottom feeder team. This is the most likely future with Ishbia and Jones running this franchise. Bringing in a young/in prime true superstar and building a title contender around it will require major luck.
Sunlight
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#790 » by Sunlight » Sat May 11, 2024 4:01 pm

If this blow out scenario happens next summer, the Suns will get at least two first round picks (KD+Book) less than now.
A big difference for the future.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,756

Post#791 » by Revived » Sat May 11, 2024 4:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

First time I've heard that KD wanted CP3 out of Phoenix...around 4:20

Interesting. CP3 is a guy that holds others accountable so I guess it kind of makes sense why KD would want him out.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,756

Post#792 » by Revived » Sat May 11, 2024 4:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Amazing how all other teams value the Suns first rd picks more than our own idiotic owner Ishbia and GM (Jones) does.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,989

Post#793 » by Saberestar » Sat May 11, 2024 5:05 pm

RedIndian wrote:I have two trades to suggest for re-modeling the team to Bud's style:

Nurkic + #22 for Isaiah Stewart, Marcus Sasser
Allen + 2031 for Deni Avdija

Free agency - sign Royce, Daniel Theis and Bol

Stewart / Theis
Durant / Bol
Avdija / Royce
Booker / Little
Beal / Sasser

Avdija is my favourite role player acquisition who I think would be the perfect compliment to the big 3. Legit 6'9, defends multiple positions, is a superb connective passer and a much improved shooter. He's on the verge of breaking out, and is on an excellent contract, so can't see Washington giving him up easily. But if we're going to trade the 2031 pick (which undoubtedly would be very attractive for teams), this is the kind of player I'd want to be trading for. Deni is exactly the kind of Draymond, Aaron Gordon type of 4th best player that you need on a championship team. Would hugely compensate for the lack of a true PG as well, as you could run multiple pick and roll actions with Beal and Book as ball-handlers and Deni as a screener/passing hub in the short roll.

Stewart is the only viable 3 point shooting bigman that I think we could acquire for Nurkic's contract. Just don't see any other target being gettable. Pistons are committed to Duren at C, plus Beef Stew's temper issues are something they'd probably be happy to be rid off. For us, if we can get past the fact Stew punched Eubanks, it might be lowkey a very good acquisition. Beef Stew would bring a lot of toughness and edge to a team that's sorely lacking it, and he's become an excellent 3 point shooter. Sasser is a throw in for #22 - he was a bright spot for Detroit this year - excellent POA defender and an emerging microwave scorer.

We give up our picks, but get younger and more athletic.
With this, we'd play fast, 5 out basketball, and be significantly faster and quicker at a switch style defense. A team modeled on Bud's Hawks rather than the Bucks though. Trying to replicate the Bucks is stupid because we don't have Giannis or Brook.

No way the Wizards trade Advija without getting much better value. He was amazing in the last part of the season and he is young yet.

Regarding Stewart, good call and I think he is an interesting name that can play some PF and C and he can score from 3. Not big but he is strong.

A bit of a headcase nd he isn't good passer...but he is nice option.

I like Theis as a FA option too.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#794 » by Saberestar » Sat May 11, 2024 5:36 pm

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,186

Post#795 » by sunsbg » Sat May 11, 2024 5:43 pm

Good he doesn't feel like just another mercenary, but someone who was a fan of the team growing up, for what it's worth.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#796 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 11, 2024 6:07 pm

Bud better bring us a title or else this is another failed experiment. I’m tired of seeing new coaches every 2-3 years. We haven’t had a stable coach for 7-8 straight seasons like we had with Dantoni or other coached im drawing blank at the moment. It’s time to bring a title to Phoenix or else your azz is getting booed out of Phoenix. We want results!!!
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#797 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 11, 2024 6:12 pm

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

First time I've heard that KD wanted CP3 out of Phoenix...around 4:20

Interesting. CP3 is a guy that holds others accountable so I guess it kind of makes sense why KD would want him out.

KD is a weak person in general. It took Kerr, Draymond, Steph, Klay to make him a man for a few seasons. Unfortunately, the Suns organization aren’t build that way.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#798 » by Saberestar » Sat May 11, 2024 6:47 pm

Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,316

Post#799 » by Biff » Sat May 11, 2024 6:52 pm

Hilarious that Ishbia thinks a different coach can solve a garbage roster. Is Bud gonna play point? Ishbia got a min contract guy he thinks can move the needle? Maybe trade Beal for Ben Simmons? lol
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#800 » by Saberestar » Sat May 11, 2024 6:59 pm

Is this a **** NIGHTMARE?!?!

The Phoenix Suns and Drew Eubanks are on the same page regarding his status with the team.

“The full organization wants me back next and I want to be a Phoenix Sun next year,” Eubanks said.

Eubanks has a player option for next season as he has until June 29 to exercise it.

“I’m going to make the best decision for my family and I when the time comes,” Eubanks said.

If a player declines the player option, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2024/05/11/drew-eubanks-says-phoenix-suns-want-him-back-has-player-option/73647814007/

Return to Phoenix Suns