ImageImageImage

Joe SMtih?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

dflaschberger
Analyst
And1: 0

Joe SMtih? 

Post#1 » by dflaschberger » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:20 pm

Bulls fan here. Joe Smith is playing great right now. I always thought he was underrated-solid D, great character, perfect jumper, can score a little on the block.

As with many fans, the SUns are my favorite West team. However, they will probably not win a title this year-they are alittle short up front. Smith, I believe, would be PERFECT for you guys-could push you over the edge.

He can D up Dirk, Boozer, Odom, DWest even Duncan (at least, better than Amare can). He play on the pick n roll is great with Kirk, he and Nash could be incredible. Plus, he's pull bigs away from the basket for drives. I could easily see him at 15/7 for you.

We want to use Smith to get gasol-you have a trade expemption. I know the suns are close about $, but he might be the piece. Plus, he has a reasonable deal and only thru next season (Nash's window). We would want the ATL pick (lottery protected).

In other words, help us help you
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#2 » by nevetsov » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:42 pm

So you're implying that we trade the Atlanta pick and a part of our TE for Joe Smith?

No thanks.

I doubt we'll make any move that will blow out our salary unless we have a pretty significant injury.

We'd probably be interested in Joe Smith, but we wouldn't give up anything not named Banks, Diaw, Tucker, Marks or Piatkowski.

Maybe Iavoroni would take a look at Diaw, who knows; you might be able to deal him to Memphis is a 3-teamer.
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#3 » by nevetsov » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:12 pm

Here's my counter offer:

Phoenix Out: Diaw, Piatkowski
Phoenix In: Smith, Sefolosha

Chicago Out: Noah, Duhon, Sefolosha, Smith
Chicago In: Gasol, Piatkowski

Memphis Out: Gasol
Memphis In: Diaw, Noah, Duhon

This works as a simultaneous trade however i'm sure there would be a way to get Damon Stoudemire to the Bulls to be their emergency backup PG. (If required)
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#4 » by nevetsov » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:30 pm

In addition to the afforementioned trade, how about something like this:

Phoenix out: Raja Bell, Banks ATL 09 pick
Phoenix in: Mike Miller

Bulls out: Nocioni
Bulls in: Stoudemire, Bell, ATL 09 pick

Memphis out: Miller, Stoudemire
Memphis in: Nocioni, Banks

I think Memphis make out like bandits with a lineup of

Conley/ Gay/ Nocioni/ Diaw/ Milicic
Duhon/ Banks/ Warrick/ Noah

:o

Suns

Nash/ Miller/ Hill/ Marion/ Stoudemire
Sefolosha/ Barbosa/ Smith/ Skinner

Bulls

Hinrich/ Bell/ Deng/ Gasol/ Wallace
Stoudemire/ Gordon/ Thomas/ Gray +Atl 09 pick

** this gets Phoenix UNDER the luxury tax threshold too. :clap:
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#5 » by WTFsunsFTW » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:16 pm

First of all, we have a joe smith. His name is brian skinner, and even he doesnt get justified time on the court. Smith would not see nearly enough playtime here to warrant using the TE on him.

Secondly, nevet, your first trade gives memphis the biggest laugh of a frontcourt in the league.

The only players phoenix wants from chicago would be TT, Nocioni, Sefalosha, Noah, and maybe wallace if the price was right. Probably in that order.
Nash13/Marion31
Junior

Post#6 » by Nash13/Marion31 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:14 pm

^ exactly, why would we trade for someone when we already have a similar player who is playing very well for us?
Eyes on the Prize Men
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#7 » by TASTIC » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:15 pm

achilles you gotta make sure you spell StoudAmire correct, for now it looks like CHI trades Nocioni and gets Amare, Raja and the ATL pick...haha
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#8 » by KJ7 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:09 pm

I wanted Joe Smith here but the fact is we got Skinner and he has been playing great and providing everything I hoped Joe Smith would provide. Smith wouldn't get enough mins to avg 15/7 so I think you are slightly over-rating that part of it.

Then there is the money situation. Joe Smith earns close the MLE and Skinner earns the VetMin. We're not going over the cap just to get someone who is gonna fight it out with Skinner for 15mpg but is earning THAT much more. There's a reason why we sign Marks and that's because he's just insurance (ie. we wouldnt sign anyone more expensive because it would be a waste of money).

I like Joe Smith and if we didn't have Skinner I might be all over it, but add that to the fact we would be losing the ATL pick as well and I'll have to say no thanks to this one.
impulsenine
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#9 » by impulsenine » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:46 pm

Plus, Skinner is a 3-point threat.

Apparently.

Note: Not green text.
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#10 » by nevetsov » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:58 am

You guys are joking when you say Joe Smith = Skinner, right?

On the suns, Skinner is a C, no ifs, buts or maybes. He is a defender, a shotblocker, an enforcer. Offensively he is limited but can surprise from time to time.

Joe Smith would be a 4, no way he brings anything in the same hemisphere defensively that Skinner does. He isn't a shotblocker and tbo i've always considered him to be pretty average defensively. Offensively though, he is much more established than Skinner.

I'd much rather have a $5.2M Joe Smith putting up points off the bench than Diaws $9M fat ass doing squat in the same minutes.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#11 » by dflaschberger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 am

Joe smith is better than skinner (who I like)-much better. His PER is 18, how many suns are above that? Plus, he's solid on D and does block shots.
Finally, he is absolutly KILLER in the pick and roll-watch him and Hinrich run it-He would be great with you all, much better than skinner
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#12 » by KJ7 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 am

^^^We already have 2 guys that are both good on the PnR tho.

nevetsov wrote:You guys are joking when you say Joe Smith = Skinner, right?

What I meant by "Skinner gives us what I wanted from Smith" was decent mins at the PF/C position off the bench. Not saying they are exactly the same type of player. I agree with your latter assertions that Skinner is a better defender and Smith a more accomplished offensive player.

What I don't agree is that Smith wouldn't play C in our system. D'Antoni would def see him as someone who is capable of playing C. Heck, Boris played/plays C for us, for goodness sake.

Smith would be similar to Kurt in our system (not as strong but more athletic) where as I see Skinner as a Hunter in our system but with better shooting.

FYI, Smith shoots 43.4% on his jumpers while Skinner shoots 48.4% so there's not as big a diff in their offensive ability. I must admit tho Smith looks more polished on offense and at least has some post-up game (from what I remember). I don't think I've ever seen Skinner post up. But it's not like Skinner is some black hole on offense. He can stroke it when he's open.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,325

Post#13 » by Frank Lee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 am

nevetsov wrote:.........I'd much rather have a $5.2M Joe Smith putting up points off the bench than Diaws $9M fat ass doing squat in the same minutes.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
What ? Me Worry ?
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#14 » by dflaschberger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:04 pm

smith went for 22/12 and 30/12 this last week. Of course, he wouldn't do that with you, but you would love him-you need one more player up front
Shzm13
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#15 » by Shzm13 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:39 am

Smith is nothing more than a lucky scrub.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#16 » by TASTIC » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:11 am

I disagree. I think Smith contributes significantly to the Suns if we got him, he has range on his J, is a decent rebounder, and a solid defender. He's clearly not a great shotblocker or a strong rebounder like a Camby type, but he does what we need.

If we could flat out swap Diaw/Banks for him I'd do it in a heartbeat
Shzm13
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#17 » by Shzm13 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:21 pm

TASTIC wrote:I disagree. I think Smith contributes significantly to the Suns if we got him, he has range on his J, is a decent rebounder, and a solid defender.

So.. 33% chance he'd get some playing time?
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#18 » by WTFsunsFTW » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Id absolutely trade diaw for smith.

Return to Phoenix Suns