KD to the Suns

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Maf
Starter
And1: 876

Re: KD to the Suns 

Post#101 » by Maf » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:42 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
Maf wrote:Wow you guys... I am totally shocked by your reactions to this trade. Like every fan of the teams that might be thinking "this could be our year, we could have a shot" are now thinking "how the hell we could beat THAT!"

Yet you are complaining about losing your favourite role players? Sorry, didn´t come here to start any fights but like noone ever thought "oh, we are playing the Suns, I am afraid what Bridges can do to us."

I tried to express my shock that rest of the league is scared **** by your team right now and yet you are unhappy.

The best ability is availability, and Mikal is always available, and was in the middle of a leap offensively. If he could be a consistent scorer like a Khris Middleton-type, we'd be in a very good position, not to mention if we potentially added a piece like Collins or Anunoby or Bogdanovic without giving up a major rotation piece. Plus he's 27 and loved being here. There's no real reason that Booker, Mikal, Cam, and Ayton couldn't have been our foundation for the rest of the decade. If we don't win with minor upgrades, this deal was probably still there for us come Summer.

Now it's win this year, next year, or never, with potential for Booker to leave because he can't carry old and broken KD and CP3.

Thanks for reply. Still, I declare that this original core of yours really doesn´t scare you (as opponent´s fan). I mean it like oh, that´s good team, gotta be tough series. But right now it´s "if they are healthy how could we beat them?"

I mean this old and broken KD still gives you 30 a night and I think in healthier enviroment than Brooklyn was he won´t miss that many games- CP the last game I saw him was against us in christmas game and while he missed some easy shots and lots of FT he still had I believe 16 as, 0 To. They still are **** ballers.

So.. I just think you should be excited right now.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,267

Post#102 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:01 pm

Maf wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
Maf wrote:Wow you guys... I am totally shocked by your reactions to this trade. Like every fan of the teams that might be thinking "this could be our year, we could have a shot" are now thinking "how the hell we could beat THAT!"

Yet you are complaining about losing your favourite role players? Sorry, didn´t come here to start any fights but like noone ever thought "oh, we are playing the Suns, I am afraid what Bridges can do to us."

I tried to express my shock that rest of the league is scared **** by your team right now and yet you are unhappy.

The best ability is availability, and Mikal is always available, and was in the middle of a leap offensively. If he could be a consistent scorer like a Khris Middleton-type, we'd be in a very good position, not to mention if we potentially added a piece like Collins or Anunoby or Bogdanovic without giving up a major rotation piece. Plus he's 27 and loved being here. There's no real reason that Booker, Mikal, Cam, and Ayton couldn't have been our foundation for the rest of the decade. If we don't win with minor upgrades, this deal was probably still there for us come Summer.

Now it's win this year, next year, or never, with potential for Booker to leave because he can't carry old and broken KD and CP3.

Thanks for reply. Still, I declare that this original core of yours really doesn´t scare you (as opponent´s fan). I mean it like oh, that´s good team, gotta be tough series. But right now it´s "if they are healthy how could we beat them?"

I mean this old and broken KD still gives you 30 a night and I think in healthier enviroment than Brooklyn was he won´t miss that many games- CP the last game I saw him was against us in christmas game and while he missed some easy shots and lots of FT he still had I believe 16 as, 0 To. They still are **** ballers.

I mean, Brooklyn was the best team in the NBA when healthy. But they were never all healthy. Now we have that same burden.

And as much as Championships are great, only 1 team gets that per year. I enjoy watching basketball night in and night out. I want to see players I like actually play. Mikal is a terrific watch. So was Cam. I haven't seen KD with us yet, and I won't until after the All-Star Break. There's reporting that there were no other suitors for KD at this point in time. It was an impulsive move by a new owner who didn't realize he could wait and see what adding to the current roster could do instead of upending it.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#103 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:39 pm

Saberestar wrote:KD can play all 3 roles in a Spain pick and roll.

Read on Twitter

Crazy to think that really all 3 guys can run/play all 3 roles in that Spain pick and roll. ALl 3 guys has the handles, sufficient playmaking abilities to make it nearly unguardable. And we could just have DA over in the dunker spot somewhere as a release valve if that play gets broken. Park a shooter in the corner and there's even more spacing
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,759

Post#104 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:20 am

Maf wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

People are excited for this year IF 3 guys who have been injured for long parts of the year are healthy. CP3 looked done earlier. He has looked better lately. DBook hasn't been playing particularly well since a few games before his injury outside of one monster game. KD I know was having a monster year, and all of them together with Ayton will make everyone's game easier, I just don't know if they will stay healthy, and 2 of the main 3 are very old. The Nets won one playoff series and they were a lot younger.

I think the Suns have a good shot this year but they are one of 5-7 teams in the west that have a shot. They probably have the beset shot, but 4-5 other teams could likely beat them with a healthy team and solid series, particularly if one of the Suns main guys is out due to injury. Look what has happened to the Clips and Lakers the last few years. After those trades pairing up stars no one thought they could compete with those teams. And the old Suns team that you are knocking from 2 years ago did, because they were banged up. We could be what they were then. Bridges never missed a game and just took a leap offensively. IF KD is done in a couple of years (and CP3 WILL be), the Suns will have lost two young core pieces and 5 unprotected picks. That's a lot.

This is very similar to when the Nets traded for the older KG and Pierce to add to older Deron Williams PG (ironic he was in the same draft class as Paul and that feels like ages ago) and younger all stars Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez.

That ended up not turning out so well for the Nets and Boston got Tatum and Brown from that trade.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#105 » by Tha King » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:44 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Maf wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:The best ability is availability, and Mikal is always available, and was in the middle of a leap offensively. If he could be a consistent scorer like a Khris Middleton-type, we'd be in a very good position, not to mention if we potentially added a piece like Collins or Anunoby or Bogdanovic without giving up a major rotation piece. Plus he's 27 and loved being here. There's no real reason that Booker, Mikal, Cam, and Ayton couldn't have been our foundation for the rest of the decade. If we don't win with minor upgrades, this deal was probably still there for us come Summer.

People are excited for this year IF 3 guys who have been injured for long parts of the year are healthy. CP3 looked done earlier. He has looked better lately. DBook hasn't been playing particularly well since a few games before his injury outside of one monster game. KD I know was having a monster year, and all of them together with Ayton will make everyone's game easier, I just don't know if they will stay healthy, and 2 of the main 3 are very old. The Nets won one playoff series and they were a lot younger.

I think the Suns have a good shot this year but they are one of 5-7 teams in the west that have a shot. They probably have the beset shot, but 4-5 other teams could likely beat them with a healthy team and solid series, particularly if one of the Suns main guys is out due to injury. Look what has happened to the Clips and Lakers the last few years. After those trades pairing up stars no one thought they could compete with those teams. And the old Suns team that you are knocking from 2 years ago did, because they were banged up. We could be what they were then. Bridges never missed a game and just took a leap offensively. IF KD is done in a couple of years (and CP3 WILL be), the Suns will have lost two young core pieces and 5 unprotected picks. That's a lot.

This is very similar to when the Nets traded for the older KG and Pierce to add to older Deron Williams PG (ironic he was in the same draft class as Paul and that feels like ages ago) and younger all stars Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez.

That ended up not turning out so well for the Nets and Boston got Tatum and Brown from that trade.

I am a Nets fan so I'd like for this to be true but I don't think so.

Yes, availability is a question but you have a well structured team with reliable stars as a supporting cast which should better help get through regular seasons.

KD was putting up an MVP type season on the team this year playing some of the highest minutes in the league before getting hurt. 30ppg on a ridiculous near 70% TS while playing elite defense and carrying the team in that regard alongside Claxton. I doubt Booker will ever have a season even comparable to the one Durant has had so far and that's basically what he's been on the Nets, day one. I actually think he can have even more impact playing next to Paul who can create easier looks for him and reduce his playmaking burden (and turnovers).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#106 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:50 am

Tha King wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Maf wrote:Thanks for reply. Still, I declare that this original core of yours really doesn´t scare you (as opponent´s fan). I mean it like oh, that´s good team, gotta be tough series. But right now it´s "if they are healthy how could we beat them?"

I am a Nets fan so I'd like for this to be true but I don't think so.

Yes, availability is a question but you have a well structured team with reliable stars as a supporting cast which should better help get through regular seasons.

KD was putting up an MVP type season on the team this year playing some of the highest minutes in the league before getting hurt. 30ppg on a ridiculous near 70% TS while playing elite defense and carrying the team in that regard alongside Claxton. I doubt Booker will ever have a season even comparable to the one Durant has had so far and that's basically what he's been on the Nets, day one. I actually think he can have even more impact playing next to Paul who can create easier looks for him and reduce his playmaking burden (and turnovers).

I think if they are healthy and Booker gets his mojo back (he has only shot over 40% from the field in 1 out of his last 7 games) they could definitely beat anyone. They don't have too much else outside of those guys and Ayton though.
MrMiyagi

Post#107 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:13 am

Booker didn't exactly sound happy about this in his post-game interview. "Just him and the rim"
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#108 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:17 am

MrMiyagi wrote:Booker didn't exactly sound happy about this in his post-game interview. "Just him and the rim"

About the trade?
MrMiyagi

Post#109 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:21 am

bwgood77 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Booker didn't exactly sound happy about this in his post-game interview. "Just him and the rim"

About the trade?
Yeah. He was effusive about Mikal and Cam. Less so about KD, IMO.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#110 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:30 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

About the trade?

It's the right thing to do, and I imagine in his head when he told the FO he wanted KD or whatever he was not thinking about Bridges being part of the deal. Probably thinking picks, Crowder, other players, and maybe Cam and Ayton. But I bet he really feels the loss of Bridges, likely a lot more than any of us do.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#111 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:08 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

About the trade?

He understands it's a business and losing people you have great working relationships with and the prospect of having to build new relationships with their replacements is difficult.

My first corporate role, I had a great team. We'd go out for Friday works drinks and we just have the best times and those times will forever be in my memories. But everyone knew, as much as we wish it wasn't the case, this couldn't last. Ultimately everyone has their own ambitions, goals and decisions to make and sometimes decisions they don't make themselves that will lead them to moving on. Even understanding that, it doesn't make it hurt any less
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,476

Post#112 » by sunskerr » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:29 am

I think one thing we are overlooking is that having KD might take a lot of pressure off Paul. He's obviously older and his age has shown in consecutive playoffs years. But those years he had a massive offensive burden as 2nd option and primary ballhandler. Those tactics of swarming him, at least in the half court, aren't going to be nearly as effective with KD. In fact, you probably can't send ANY help with the presence of two guys like Booker and Durant on the court.

Of course if he is getting boned defensively then we will still have to sit him, and they may still try to hound him full court bringing the ball up (KD is also a better ball handler than Bridges, so maybe this is mitigated at least a little). But at least in the half court there is going to be a lot of room for him to operate and even rest.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,476

Post#113 » by sunskerr » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
About the trade?

It's the right thing to do, and I imagine in his head when he told the FO he wanted KD or whatever he was not thinking about Bridges being part of the deal. Probably thinking picks, Crowder, other players, and maybe Cam and Ayton. But I bet he really feels the loss of Bridges, likely a lot more than any of us do.

He's every right to be sad. He played with them for the last 4-5 years. Might seem strange to say but even though he's not putting on a show for the media with his emotions, stuff like that can make the rounds on social media. If you're Bridges or Cam watching that and seeing how much Booker cared about playing with you, that makes you feel good and you never know what can happen when you're off contract.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#114 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:33 am

sunskerr wrote:I think one thing we are overlooking is that having KD might take a lot of pressure off Paul. He's obviously older and his age has shown in consecutive playoffs years. But those years he had a massive offensive burden as 2nd option and primary ballhandler. Those tactics of swarming him, at least in the half court, aren't going to be nearly as effective with KD. In fact, you probably can't send ANY help with the presence of two guys like Booker and Durant on the court.

Of course if he is getting boned defensively then we will still have to sit him, and they may still try to hound him full court bringing the ball up (KD is also a better ball handler than Bridges, so maybe this is mitigated at least a little). But at least in the half court there is going to be a lot of room for him to operate and even rest.

It will take pressure off Paul which is big given his age, but taking pressure off Book is huge. Especially in the playoffs if we are facing elimination. In the elimination games vs the Bucks and then Dallas, Booker really buckled under the pressure and had probably his 2 worst playoff games. I think in those 2 games he was like 11/36, 0-11 from 3 with 10 turnovers or something like that.
OneZilion
Sophomore
And1: 139

Post#115 » by OneZilion » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:05 am

This is crazy how much underestimating to KD…

Have you guys watched at all how was he playing this season? How efficient he score 30 in a sleap, how he elevates others on the team and how good defence he was playing? Nets won 18 of 20 games before he got injured..

Mikal and Cam are nice players, but God Lord!?!?

Do you know who he is?
MrMiyagi

Post#116 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:22 am

OneZilion wrote:This is crazy how much underestimating to KD…

Have you guys watched at all how was he playing this season? How efficient he score 30 in a sleap, how he elevates others on the team and how good defence he was playing? Nets won 18 of 20 games before he got injured..

Do you know who he is?
A man who was swept by the Boston Celtics
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,812

Post#117 » by sunsbum » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:06 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Maf wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:The best ability is availability, and Mikal is always available, and was in the middle of a leap offensively. If he could be a consistent scorer like a Khris Middleton-type, we'd be in a very good position, not to mention if we potentially added a piece like Collins or Anunoby or Bogdanovic without giving up a major rotation piece. Plus he's 27 and loved being here. There's no real reason that Booker, Mikal, Cam, and Ayton couldn't have been our foundation for the rest of the decade. If we don't win with minor upgrades, this deal was probably still there for us come Summer.

I mean, Brooklyn was the best team in the NBA when healthy. But they were never all healthy. Now we have that same burden.

And as much as Championships are great, only 1 team gets that per year. I enjoy watching basketball night in and night out. I want to see players I like actually play. Mikal is a terrific watch. So was Cam. I haven't seen KD with us yet, and I won't until after the All-Star Break. There's reporting that there were no other suitors for KD at this point in time. It was an impulsive move by a new owner who didn't realize he could wait and see what adding to the current roster could do instead of upending it.

Mannnnn I’m like the guy that pissed this whole board off saying literally all year no Mikal, no Mikal in the KD trade. I get being upset but do you honestly think no one else was after Kevin **** Durant? Y’all know Steph is 35 right? Does anyone raise this much whoop if we trade the same package for Steph and his injuries? Doubt it.
I hate this team.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,812

Post#118 » by sunsbum » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:19 am

OneZilion wrote:This is crazy how much underestimating to KD…

Do you know who he is?
we know who he is, I think it’s just a testament to the …ehm.. deep love and appreciation we have for the twins. KD was just a good player to you guys (or the nets) we watched Mikal and Cam hatch like babies, form bonds and literally take our franchise from **** tier to 2-0 finals run…err 2-4. We’ve watched them both improve this year and kind of hoped we could add something to get us over the hump to go along with their improvement. I think you had something here that you don’t have…well anywhere else that I can think of. We loved them and they loved us back just as much, in a weird way it kinda felt deeper than basketball. Like someone else said you just felt like if you saw them on the street they would drop everything and hang out. Most people won’t understand, and I get it. But I’m kinda…no really happy I was apart of it.
I hate this team.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Post#119 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:07 pm

Devin Booker said Kevin Durant is probably the player he watches the most highlights of. Mutual respect there for someone he's admired a very long time. Ready to introduce him to the Valley.

"He's a hooper. He loves hoop. That's all he does, so he's gonna fit right in."

Devin Booker said he's excited to see how Kevin Durant operates behind the scenes on a day-to-day basis and is looking forward to some games of 1-on-1.

"He's a special talent that I don't think this game has seen and will ever see before."

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Post#120 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:38 pm

Props to James Jones for being patient and get this deal done.

I criticized him a lot for not trading Crowder all season long but I was WRONG, he played the waiting game and he nailed it. That's why he is making millions in the NBA and I am at my couch talking nonsense lol.

Crowder was an X factor in trading for KD. The Nets didn't want Saric in the deal because his value was much lower so at the end of the day Crowder got us KD in the Valley.

Return to Phoenix Suns