ImageImageImage

Game 41: Phoenix Suns (22-18) @ New Orleans Pelicans (25-17) Jan 19

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,939

Re: Game 41: Phoenix Suns (22-18) @ New Orleans Pelicans (25-17) Jan 19 

Post#101 » by Fo-Real » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:31 pm

So it seemed that the pre game strategy was to not double or trap Book. After seeing that KD and Beal were starting to cook the last 4 or 5 games and that leaving Allen might get you 9 threes from him, that they would play straight up defense, with the many great wing defenders that they have and hope Booker wasn't on. That **** failed horribly!!! Book was not human last night!!! The chemistry is most definitely smoothing out, offensive and defensive. We actually guarded Zion with a guard or small forward most of the night.... CRAZY!!!
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,264

Post#102 » by Bogyo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:28 pm

Spoiler:
MrMiyagi wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Big 3: 6-4
Book/KD: 9-6
Book/Beal: 3-1
Beal/KD: 1-2
KD: 2-4
Book: 2-1
Beal: 0-0

Total: 23-18

So with at least 2 of our big 3 our record would be 19-9, if I want to look at it that way. We had (have, and will have) some "growing pain" with the big 3 together, hence the 6-4, othewise that is more like a 7-3 I think... Is this as bad team now as like some make it out to be?
I don't think so. As I ve said many times (and will repeat now), we just had very bad injury luck, and we haven't really had one guy out of a possible seven (!!!) who stepped up and made a meaningful contribution from the bench
19-13 with at least 2/3

Sorry - not sure how I got my math messed up so bad :D
Not as pretty for sure, but not a disaster that we kinda were about 10 games ago...
# waiting for the next chapter
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,422

Post#103 » by Puff » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:10 pm

Nice Win let's hope they can keep it going.

When watching the game it appeared like Booker just went one on one all night long but the stats tell a different story.

We had 32 assists and only 8 turnovers (4 to 1 ratio). I think we just got away from making multiple passes on every possession from side to side which has creates a lot of turnovers. Both teams shot 93 times but we made more shots including 5 more 3's.

It just seemed like things were simplified. Of course when your shots are falling everything seems to fall in place.

Sunday's match up with Indiana will be interesting.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#104 » by enigmatics » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:21 pm

Just watched the game.

I'll say this much - THAT was what the Suns brass envisioned the team looking like. The Pelicans were a team the Suns "supposedly" would struggle with (particularly because of size), but as it would turn out they were expending energy and getting worn down frantically trying to figure out how to stop all the offense coming at them. I would think that would be tough as hell in a full playoff series.

It's a wealth of riches out there when all the Suns starters are on the court ESPECIALLY now as Grayson has ascended the way he has. On top of that you've got all the open middies, a guy in Nurk boarding, diming and sealing, etc. etc. Seriously does anyone watch the lane when he's in there? The Big 3 can just cut to the hoop almost unscathed.

It was good to see that breakout game from Book because the guy was struggling and feeling the criticism.

It's just one game, but interestingly enough right after that momentum shifting 4Q comeback vs. the Kings. I immediately think back to Ty Lue's comments a couple weeks ago. It could be they're starting to figure it out.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#105 » by sashaturiaf » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:19 am

enigmatics wrote:Just watched the game.

I'll say this much - THAT was what the Suns brass envisioned the team looking like. The Pelicans were a team the Suns "supposedly" would struggle with (particularly because of size), but as it would turn out they were expending energy and getting worn down frantically trying to figure out how to stop all the offense coming at them. I would think that would be tough as hell in a full playoff series.

It's a wealth of riches out there when all the Suns starters are on the court ESPECIALLY now as Grayson has ascended the way he has. On top of that you've got all the open middies, a guy in Nurk boarding, diming and sealing, etc. etc. Seriously does anyone watch the lane when he's in there? The Big 3 can just cut to the hoop almost unscathed.

It was good to see that breakout game from Book because the guy was struggling and feeling the criticism.

It's just one game, but interestingly enough right after that momentum shifting 4Q comeback vs. the Kings. I immediately think back to Ty Lue's comments a couple weeks ago. It could be they're starting to figure it out.

Ive been telling myself to stay patient all season long but damn if this team didn't push that to the limit. Turned off the game in frustration and resignation when down 20 to the Kings in the 3rd and now here we are.

Hopefully this stretch is not a mirage and we've actually figured it out. We did that have good streak earlier in the season when Book returned but we've never looked as convincing as in that pelicans game.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#106 » by enigmatics » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:19 pm

Very cool stuff .....

He breaks it down with videos so read thru it when you get some time.

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,779

Post#107 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:58 am

I was really surprised to see so much Beal on Zion on defense. Zion easily had 1000lbs on Beal yet I thought Beal did an admirable job staying on him. The times Zion did score, there really wasn't much Beal could do more than he did. Zion still got his but he certainly didn't appear to be as impactful than he could be. I think Beal's defense on Zion did probably hurt his own offensive output just because it takes so much out of you to defend Zion but on a night where Book is giving you a 50 burger, KD is giving you a casual 26 and Nurk is bringing his presence with 15rbs and 9 assists, we could afford to have Beal with a lower scoring night. But Beal still managed to chip in a solid 7rbs and 4ast and no TO's so that was just a very solid performance from him
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns