Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,795

Re: Bradley Beal thread 

Post#121 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:27 pm

Puff wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:We know, from experience, CP3 is going to break down at some point in the season and most likely some time in the playoffs. I'd still make that trade again and again

That's why you are not a GM for a legit NBA team. You would fit right in with us, right up Matt's Butt Cheeks.

Yeah, Sarver had his issues, but our future/roster and draft picks was brighter than it is today. I just do not see where our roster or future has improved since Matt bought the team.

I think I have a lot of company in that feeling as most of Sun's nation has started to tune them out based on participation in current game threads. Of course, a winning streak will cure this. I just do not see that coming, hope I am wrong.

It is just a matter of time when the box office is affected.

Please explain as to how we are a better team this year than last year. We actually had lot's of injuries last year that caused us to fail. So don't blame it on the Booker and BBB injuries. Everyone else is healthy.

Booker and Beal have had a history of injuries along with KD.

At what point was our future the brightest? Before CP3 or after CP3?

We got to where we were last season because we took a considerable risk (one which I was not totally comfortable with) by significantly accelerating our timeline and making that trade for CP3 back in 2020. At that point, you could say we already had a foot in the "all-in" door because we got to the Finals in that first year and the pressure was already on to take bigger and bigger risks to get back there
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#122 » by garrick » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:My guess, Bealoholics would buy a car with more horsepower and better looks while people who don't like the trade and early results would buy a more reliable one. It's a matter of preference.

Bealoholics lol. CP3 wasn't terribly reliable and was a much older car. His contract appeared untradable. I was shocked we got anything for Paul. But sure, I'd have loved to get a very reliable young asset for Paul...that was extremely unlikely.

I am not saying you are referring to me because your general statement is the exact opposite of the type of general feel I have regarding team building, as you may know how I felt about the KD trade, trading a very reliable solid player and a bunch of other stuff for a huge old star who has been pretty unreliable the past 5 years.

But regardless, it doesn't make sense because CP3 was old, declining fast, always injured, and making $30 million (or $15 million to cut him).

At least CP3 was an expiring so we wouldn't have had to worry about keeping him beyond this season unlike Beal who is still on the hook for a while and with his huge supermax salary and no trade clause he is virtually untradable.

If Mat is trying to win this year or next it makes sense but in the long run it could get ugly how capped out we are until 2029 or so.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,771

Post#123 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:31 pm

garrick wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:My guess, Bealoholics would buy a car with more horsepower and better looks while people who don't like the trade and early results would buy a more reliable one. It's a matter of preference.

Bealoholics lol. CP3 wasn't terribly reliable and was a much older car. His contract appeared untradable. I was shocked we got anything for Paul. But sure, I'd have loved to get a very reliable young asset for Paul...that was extremely unlikely.

I am not saying you are referring to me because your general statement is the exact opposite of the type of general feel I have regarding team building, as you may know how I felt about the KD trade, trading a very reliable solid player and a bunch of other stuff for a huge old star who has been pretty unreliable the past 5 years.

But regardless, it doesn't make sense because CP3 was old, declining fast, always injured, and making $30 million (or $15 million to cut him).

At least CP3 was an expiring so we wouldn't have had to worry about keeping him beyond this season unlike Beal who is still on the hook for a while and with his huge supermax salary and no trade clause he is virtually untradable.

If Mat is trying to win this year or next it makes sense but in the long run it could get ugly how capped out we are until 2029 or so.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. Long term it's ugly anyway. It is very unlikely meaningful cap space would be created regardless given Book and KD's contracts...so you needed to turn it into at least something. To turn it into Beal was a risk of course but the alternative was probably just another minimum guy and maybe getting a better exception at some point.

If he's healthy, we wouldn't have found anyone better, but will he be healthy when it matters? But we already role that dice with KD, sacrificing years of unprotected picks and several top rotation players.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,015

Post#124 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:42 pm

"I'm told he's been dealing with a disc issue in his back. He's been gutting through it. He suffered it in training camp... There's been nothing structurally wrong."

@ShamsCharania with the latest on Suns guard Bradley Beal.

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,795

Post#125 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:30 pm

Disc issues aren't what I want to hear
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,325

Post#126 » by Frank Lee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:27 am

Nothing structural just a bad disc….. wtf?
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,771

Post#127 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 am

Yeah, I was worried if it was more than spasms/strain and a disc issue that's not good. Hopefully it can get better.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,179

Post#128 » by bigfoot » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:58 am

bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, I was worried if it was more than spasms/strain and a disc issue that's not good. Hopefully it can get better.

Definitely can improve if it is just a bulging disc ... steroids, rest, strengthen, and return to activity. Herniated would be more concerning and may require surgery.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#129 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:30 am

Frank Lee wrote:Nothing structural just a bad disc….. wtf?
Right? A disc is definitely part of the structure. Lol

Now 'disc issue' can mean a whole spectrum of things so who knows. Hell any of us over 40 have disc issues just from natural aging/settling.

My guess is it's nothing like a herniated disc if they aren't seeing anything on MRIs.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,216

Post#130 » by sunsbg » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:21 am

Beal will have to change his playing style and try to prevent falling on his back like he did a few times in just three games. Hope was we'll have Big 3 take pressure off each other and take it easy in the regular season, but Beal's injury changed all this.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,268

Post#131 » by Bogyo » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:50 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:Nothing structural just a bad disc….. wtf?
Right? A disc is definitely part of the structure. Lol

Now 'disc issue' can mean a whole spectrum of things so who knows. Hell any of us over 40 have disc issues just from natural aging/settling.

My guess is it's nothing like a herniated disc if they aren't seeing anything on MRIs.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

Had one of those - I couldn't get up from the floor for a week. Literally. And literally literally, not figuratively literally. I couldn't get to the toilet, which was about 10-15 feet away from where I laid in the living room. So the fact that we see him now (even on the bench) is actually good. Now the bad news is that the treadment/physio for these is a looooong process, especially if you want to get back to doing physical activity (and being an NBA player is an other echalon). For me it took a year of religious-like routine of doing the rehab excercises 2-3 times a day to get the disc back where it is supposed to be - and it was only off by a couple milimeters according to MRI. Now it is fine, and I can hike/lift as my regular life and routine goes - but I still do a lot of my rehab excercises in the gym, and occasionally do them at home when I feel my back is getting bad. Better safe than sorry.
# waiting for the next chapter
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,216

Post#132 » by sunsbg » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:24 am

Yeah not sure what to make out of his back injury. People who had issues say it's a really bad thing, but he didn't appear to care much in the games he played and is with the team. If it's not something that's likely to disappear that 60M in year 4 with a no trade clause...
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#133 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:18 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Puff wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:We know, from experience, CP3 is going to break down at some point in the season and most likely some time in the playoffs. I'd still make that trade again and again

That's why you are not a GM for a legit NBA team. You would fit right in with us, right up Matt's Butt Cheeks.

Yeah, Sarver had his issues, but our future/roster and draft picks was brighter than it is today. I just do not see where our roster or future has improved since Matt bought the team.

I think I have a lot of company in that feeling as most of Sun's nation has started to tune them out based on participation in current game threads. Of course, a winning streak will cure this. I just do not see that coming, hope I am wrong.

It is just a matter of time when the box office is affected.

Please explain as to how we are a better team this year than last year. We actually had lot's of injuries last year that caused us to fail. So don't blame it on the Booker and BBB injuries. Everyone else is healthy.

Booker and Beal have had a history of injuries along with KD.

At what point was our future the brightest? Before CP3 or after CP3?

We got to where we were last season because we took a considerable risk (one which I was not totally comfortable with) by significantly accelerating our timeline and making that trade for CP3 back in 2020. At that point, you could say we already had a foot in the "all-in" door because we got to the Finals in that first year and the pressure was already on to take bigger and bigger risks to get back there

You have to be joking. We traded Rubio, who is worse than CP3 and not exactly young, and Oubre who we were not bringing back, plus a protected 1st and Ty Jerome (who either is no longer in the league or the worst player in the league). That was far from a significant risk. That was a win now move but with next to 0 given up to accomplish it.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,296

Post#134 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:18 am

50 mill a year with a bad back. Love it.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#135 » by garrick » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:20 am

https://vault.si.com/vault/1994/10/10/back-to-basics-larry-johnson-is-trying-to-restore-his-damaged-body-and-tainted-image-to-nba-all-star-form

But last season, racked by two damaged disks that caused back and leg woes, Johnson missed 31 games (the Hornets went 9-22 without him) and was but a shell of himself in most of the other 51. His scoring average dropped from 22.1 in 1992-93 to 16.4, and his rebounding average fell from 10.5 to 8.8. He turned sullen toward teammates and fans and, what's worse, soft; he confesses now that he "ran away from the ball."

I started googling at what age LJ had his back injury and I was surprised he had it at age 25 and he had to retire at age 31 just a couple seasons removed from the Knicks finals run. At least Beal doesn't need to have surgery so possible he won't have lingering back issues.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,482

Post#136 » by sunskerr » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:03 pm

Looks like Jones and Ish got swindled. No warranty and broken out of the box.

Props to the Wizards. That was maybe the only cheeky thing they've done in the past few years.

Looks like we need Caruso and the rumors make sense. Lets look at the war chest...

Some cobwebs and lint.

All we can do is hope.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#137 » by NapoleonII » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:16 pm

I'd still take a coin flip that Beal will be healthy-ish for the playoffs vs. the death and taxes like certainty of Old Man Paul breaking down yet again.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,268

Post#138 » by Bogyo » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:53 pm

I'm no doc, but from the reports and his problems he might have the same (or something very similar) what I had.- Bulging disc between L4-L5 - the nerve problem and the leg stuff is spot on. That is not good news, but not necessarily tragedy either. If I could get it together in less than a year being in my early forties, and not being an NBA athlete, and not having the cutting edge rehab technology, etc... I think he can be back in a month or so - depending on how far the disc is bulging out.
# waiting for the next chapter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#139 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:57 pm

sunskerr wrote:Looks like Jones and Ish got swindled. No warranty and broken out of the box.

Props to the Wizards. That was maybe the only cheeky thing they've done in the past few years.

Looks like we need Caruso and the rumors make sense. Lets look at the war chest...

Some cobwebs and lint.

All we can do is hope.

Taking Shams at face value that Beal hurt it in training camp then it's more bad luck than any type of swindling.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#140 » by enigmatics » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:42 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunskerr wrote:Looks like Jones and Ish got swindled. No warranty and broken out of the box.

Some cobwebs and lint.

All we can do is hope.

Taking Shams at face value that Beal hurt it in training camp then it's more bad luck than any type of swindling.

That's likely the team feeding Shams those details though.

Return to Phoenix Suns