Welcome Jusuf Nurkić

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,813

Re: Welcome Jusuf Nurkić 

Post#181 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:06 pm

I still can't believe DA has only taken 3 trips to the line in 252 min so far this season.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#182 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:12 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I still can't believe DA has only taken 3 trips to the line in 252 min so far this season.
Wow, I actually had to look that up because it almost doesn't seem possible. DA is never going to get to the line much but you'd think he's just accidentally stumble into a couple attempts a game. 3 attempts for the year is wild.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#183 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:36 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I still can't believe DA has only taken 3 trips to the line in 252 min so far this season.
Wow, I actually had to look that up because it almost doesn't seem possible. DA is never going to get to the line much but you'd think he's just accidentally stumble into a couple attempts a game. 3 attempts for the year is wild.

I remember looking at the stats when it was like 170min played or something and it was at 3FTA's, I thought for sure it was going to start normalising but he's played two more games since (in starter minutes 35+), still no FTA's

I am honestly shocked but if you look at his shot profile, he's taking the fewest FGA's between 0-3ft of his career (27.6%). First season under CP3, he was taking 53% of his attempts from that range which is his career peak and coincides with his 25.2% FTr which is also a career high. The following season it drops down to 33% and his 3-10ft FGA raises to almost 40% from 26%, he did shoot very well from that range though (59%). But moving away from the rim almost meant his FTr dropped to just over 20%.

It's basically a downward trend from there with his shots going further and further away from the rim and his FTA's dropping away. Last season seemed like an anomaly where his FTr did see a bit of a bump although. Since he's been with the Blazers, he's become even more of a jumpshooter where he's now attempting a career high 26.3% from 10-16ft and a career high 9.2% from long 2 (16ft+).
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#184 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:43 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

I remember looking at the stats when it was like 170min played or something and it was at 3FTA's, I thought for sure it was going to start normalising but he's played two more games since (in starter minutes 35+), still no FTA's

I am honestly shocked but if you look at his shot profile, he's taking the fewest FGA's between 0-3ft of his career (27.6%). First season under CP3, he was taking 53% of his attempts from that range which is his career peak and coincides with his 25.2% FTr which is also a career high. The following season it drops down to 33% and his 3-10ft FGA raises to almost 40% from 26%, he did shoot very well from that range though (59%). But moving away from the rim almost meant his FTr dropped to just over 20%.

It's basically a downward trend from there with his shots going further and further away from the rim and his FTA's dropping away. Last season seemed like an anomaly where his FTr did see a bit of a bump although. Since he's been with the Blazers, he's become even more of a jumpshooter where he's now attempting a career high 26.3% from 10-16ft and a career high 9.2% from long 2 (16ft+).
I haven't watched or really even followed them at all. Sounds like Ayton is finally getting to play like he wants on O, he in middy heaven up there in Portland.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,462

Post#185 » by dremill24 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:46 pm

The rebounding part I like about Nurkic is that on the occasions that hes out contesting a jumper, he books it back to under the rim to try for a rebound much more often than Ayton did (thus far, at least). Hes not out there as often as Ayton was, and its not Ayton's fault that the rest of the team was such a collection of pathetic effort on the boards when he wasnt down there, but its been the reality here either way so if he keeps that up, its helpful.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,209

Post#186 » by garrick » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:04 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Wow, I actually had to look that up because it almost doesn't seem possible. DA is never going to get to the line much but you'd think he's just accidentally stumble into a couple attempts a game. 3 attempts for the year is wild.

I haven't watched or really even followed them at all. Sounds like Ayton is finally getting to play like he wants on O, he in middy heaven up there in Portland.

It's not surprising because there is no offensive structure at all in Portland with Grant, Brogdon and Sharpe getting the majority of the shots and they seem pretty allergic to passing although Sharpe seems to be improving a bit.

With Brogdon out last game Portland finally started looking for DA, they got him some alley oops on the break and went to him for a stretch in the 4th and he made 3 straight baskets to keep Portland in the game. You still want him to try putting his head down and try to get his free throws on drives to the basket to mix up his game but he needs to get enough touches though.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#187 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:40 am

garrick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I remember looking at the stats when it was like 170min played or something and it was at 3FTA's, I thought for sure it was going to start normalising but he's played two more games since (in starter minutes 35+), still no FTA's

It's not surprising because there is no offensive structure at all in Portland with Grant, Brogdon and Sharpe getting the majority of the shots and they seem pretty allergic to passing although Sharpe seems to be improving a bit.

With Brogdon out last game Portland finally started looking for DA, they got him some alley oops on the break and went to him for a stretch in the 4th and he made 3 straight baskets to keep Portland in the game. You still want him to try putting his head down and try to get his free throws on drives to the basket to mix up his game but he needs to get enough touches though.

He's also gotta want the contact
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#188 » by PDXKnight » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:56 am

garrick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I remember looking at the stats when it was like 170min played or something and it was at 3FTA's, I thought for sure it was going to start normalising but he's played two more games since (in starter minutes 35+), still no FTA's

Blazers fan here, couldnt help bur reply here. Billups is a pretty awful coach with no system in place. It's kind of a free for all so players who should shoot more don't get touches and guys who shouldn't shoot nonstop.

Shaedon is a stud. Probably the best piece on the Blazers moving ahead, I wouldnt call him selfish by any means quite the opposite, we wish he'd shoot more :lol:. As far as grant and brogdon yes they shoot way too much especially grant. Grant would be good on a winning team and will probably be a deadline move as will brogdon more than likely. They make a team better but are sort of a detriment to development
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#189 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:00 am

garrick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Yeah such is life for guys who can't get their own shot.

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#190 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:59 am

PDXKnight wrote:
garrick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I haven't watched or really even followed them at all. Sounds like Ayton is finally getting to play like he wants on O, he in middy heaven up there in Portland.

Blazers fan here, couldnt help bur reply here. Billups is a pretty awful coach with no system in place. It's kind of a free for all so players who should shoot more don't get touches and guys who shouldn't shoot nonstop.

Shaedon is a stud. Probably the best piece on the Blazers moving ahead, I wouldnt call him selfish by any means quite the opposite, we wish he'd shoot more :lol:. As far as grant and brogdon yes they shoot way too much especially grant. Grant would be good on a winning team and will probably be a deadline move as will brogdon more than likely. They make a team better but are sort of a detriment to development

Saw a thread on the Blazers board about getting DA touches. It's a common theme since his early days in the NBA and he's had 2 HC's one of which was the COTY. Fact is this, if you can't create your own shot, you will ALWAYS be dependent on others to put you in a position to score. This is the reason why he's shooting so many middy's in Portland imo. In a system with elite PG play, he'd be in a lot more PnR's or dump offs in the dunker spot where he can just finish high percentage shots. Without elite PG play, he's relegated to whatever he can get, wherever he gets it which is generally not in a high percentage spot like around the rim. Certainly doesn't help either that Billups isn't a good coach and doesn't seem to have a system that really benefits anyone.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,788

Post#191 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:13 am

enigmatics wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
enigmatics wrote:
Yup, he's FUNDAMENTALLY a better rebounder because he's not someone over-reliant on using his athleticism to simply outjump guys, especially after the leg fracture which caused him to lose some of his lift. He fights down low and as you said boxes out.

There's also a huge difference between contested/uncontested. In today's NBA very few teams crash the offensive glass - most are so heavily focused on spacing/pace that they're getting back on D immediately which leads to a lot of gimme boards. It's why I find some of the triple doubles guys like Westbrook and Luka put up to be empty. 45.3% of Nurks rebounds are CONTESTED. 33.5% of DA's rebounds are contested.

Big Nurk is also 2nd in the league in rebounding chances i.e. the closest player to the ball at any point in time between when the ball has crossed below the rim to when it is fully rebounded. He's at 21.1 and DA is 16.7 (11th).

That's good Nurk is getting contested rebounds. So 45.3% of his 9.4 rpg are contested, so he gets 4.26 contested rpg. And Ayton's 33.5% of his 12.9 rpg are contested, so he gets 4.32 contested rpg. It's good to know Nurk is right there with him.

Nurk's is 5.0 and DA's 4.4 per NBA.com.

I see what you did there though Mr. Sneaky Man. :wink:

One thing I have noticed about nba.com stats when running queries is that often it doesn't pick up all the games...just a sample of them. Not saying that's the case here, but always find it strange when I see it.
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 851

Post#192 » by KdoubleDees23 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:59 pm

It's funny that these guys are arguing about Nurkic , trying to pretend he is a better player. We all know Nurkic isn't a better player. Like stop arguing that. If you have a 12 pt 13 rpg Ayton on this team. Suns would have a better record. The issue is that money, want, and fit. Ayton wanted out, Booker and KD didn't want him here.

MOVE ON
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,788

Post#193 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:16 am

KdoubleDees23 wrote:It's funny that these guys are arguing about Nurkic , trying to pretend he is a better player. We all know Nurkic isn't a better player. Like stop arguing that. If you have a 12 pt 13 rpg Ayton on this team. Suns would have a better record. The issue is that money, want, and fit. Ayton wanted out, Booker and KD didn't want him here.

MOVE ON

A very very small % of people across the NBA including fans, experts, and even Suns fans, prior to the trade would have said Nurkic is a better player.

And to try and use advanced stats or even stats after 5-7 games, especially when one is playing with vet talent and the other with raw young players, as well as their top 2 guards who can pass are out with injury.

Now I can understand the opinion of the team wanting to move on from Ayton and vice versa, and getting back several pieces for him to add for depth, making some sense. Though our ceiling isn't likely higher, and I would have liked to have seen what Vogel could do with Ayton on D.

But Nurkic is playing pretty well so far, particularly with his passing depite all his turnovers. And he has had a several nice double digit rebounding games.

The worst part has been his 41% shooting, which is horrid for a C. He has always been bad in that regard, but it's still by far his worst year in that respect.

That's why we really need to have our top scorers, since we don't have an exremely efficient option inside and the defense doesn't have to pay a lot of attention to him like they do with Ayton in Portland.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,269

Post#194 » by Bogyo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:46 am

KdoubleDees23 wrote:It's funny that these guys are arguing about Nurkic , trying to pretend he is a better player. We all know Nurkic isn't a better player. Like stop arguing that. If you have a 12 pt 13 rpg Ayton on this team. Suns would have a better record. The issue is that money, want, and fit. Ayton wanted out, Booker and KD didn't want him here.

MOVE ON

I don't think anybody seriously said that.
The part you left out is that noone wanted him here, not only Booker and KD, but most probably coaches, management, and fans either, as he was (is) a mental midget with delusional mindset and is a videogamer, not a baller. Hence he hasn't really improved, and is nowhere near his potential ceiling as a basketball player, which is detrimental to the teams success and overall vibes in the lockerroom and around the team. He had plenty of different chances under different coaches and with different teammates, yet nothing really worked out for him. So if you get somebody who is kinda the opposite, you are better off, even if Ayton is the "better player" - which he is not if you look at the whole package.
We traded one set of problems for another as we have said multiple times - and most of us feel that we'll be able to deal better with the "Nurkic set of problems" than the "DA set of problems".
# waiting for the next chapter
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,670

Post#195 » by JRoy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:47 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
garrick wrote:

Saw a thread on the Blazers board about getting DA touches. It's a common theme since his early days in the NBA and he's had 2 HC's one of which was the COTY. Fact is this, if you can't create your own shot, you will ALWAYS be dependent on others to put you in a position to score. This is the reason why he's shooting so many middy's in Portland imo. In a system with elite PG play, he'd be in a lot more PnR's or dump offs in the dunker spot where he can just finish high percentage shots. Without elite PG play, he's relegated to whatever he can get, wherever he gets it which is generally not in a high percentage spot like around the rim. Certainly doesn't help either that Billups isn't a good coach and doesn't seem to have a system that really benefits anyone.

True but have not yet seen Ayton set a quality screen. Not sure Scoot would know what to do with a good s teen if he got one anyway.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,269

Post#196 » by Bogyo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:09 pm

Spoiler:
JRoy wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

True but have not yet seen Ayton set a quality screen. Not sure Scoot would know what to do with a good s teen if he got one anyway.

Mate, I hate to do this to you, but don't hold your breath. He set a couple of OK ones when CP was pointing him to do what where and when (while he was holding the ball and running the O) - but other than that, it is really a few and far between.
I couldn"t care about it less as he is not on my team anymore, so just letting you know. Maybe Billups teaches him, I mean he gotta do something right, and he can't draw up a competent offense or defense for that team... Maybe developing some stuff with his young(ish) bigs and PG's as he was a former PG can be that.
# waiting for the next chapter
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#197 » by enigmatics » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:24 pm

MOVE ON

LOL.

Drugs are bad.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#198 » by enigmatics » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:26 pm

JRoy wrote:True but have not yet seen Ayton set a quality screen. Not sure Scoot would know what to do with a good s teen if he got one anyway.

He's allergic to contact and it's never gonna change.
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 851

Post#199 » by KdoubleDees23 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:41 pm

enigmatics wrote:

MOVE ON

LOL.

Drugs are bad.

Dude I would love to meet up with you and go to a SUNS Game. I will get us floor seats in the new year. Message me. I would love to see you in person, and actually have a conversation.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,819

Post#200 » by sunsbum » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:59 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
garrick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I haven't watched or really even followed them at all. Sounds like Ayton is finally getting to play like he wants on O, he in middy heaven up there in Portland.

Ayton hasn’t developed for years, I wouldn’t be concerned about that.
I hate this team.

Return to Phoenix Suns