Ish Wainwright
35%

Total votes: 78

bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,178

Re: Who should be cut 

Post#21 » by bigfoot » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:19 pm

Should have the final answer in about one week. Deadline to trim rosters to 15 is October 23 but should happen by October 21.
bigfoot

Post#22 » by bigfoot » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:41 pm

Last night's game against Denver certainly cemented my thoughts on Bol and Lee being cut.

Bol getting limited burn along with his poor preseason play just screams cut me please.

Damion Lee being seriously injured and the wing position being so clogged seems to make him the odd guy out. Honestly, him getting minutes over Beal, Booker, Grayson, Gordon, Okogie, and Goodwin seems like an impossible task.
Jsbath
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#23 » by Jsbath » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:58 pm

Bolbol y keon.

I would stay with Damion or ish for team culture and because I think they can already contribute. Keon is very green and bolbol is more of a fairground attraction

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Post#24 » by Saberestar » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:47 pm

bigfoot wrote:Last night's game against Denver certainly cemented my thoughts on Bol and Lee being cut.

Bol getting limited burn along with his poor preseason play just screams cut me please.

Damion Lee being seriously injured and the wing position being so clogged seems to make him the odd guy out. Honestly, him getting minutes over Beal, Booker, Grayson, Gordon, Okogie, and Goodwin seems like an impossible task.

I disagree.

I think Wainright and Keon Johnson will be waived and that makes more sense for the Suns.

Wainright is the only player on the roster with a non-guaranteed contract. Saving that money is huge.

The FO wanted Damion Lee back and wanted Bol Bol on this roster. Both were signed this summer, OTOH we were forced to take Keon Johnson and his contract in a trade. We didn't want him.

You have a point about Damion Lee's injury being a big factor but it seems (and I hope) that he isn’t out for the season. His wife posted about his recent surgery:

“Thankful for a successful surgery for Damion. Praying for mental and physical strength as he continues down the path of recovery & greatness. So proud of him, always!”.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#25 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:24 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bigfoot wrote:Last night's game against Denver certainly cemented my thoughts on Bol and Lee being cut.

I disagree.

I think Wainright and Keon Johnson will be waived and that makes more sense for the Suns.

Wainright is the only player on the roster with a non-guaranteed contract. Saving that money is huge.

The FO wanted Damion Lee back and wanted Bol Bol on this roster. Both were signed this summer, OTOH we were forced to take Keon Johnson and his contract in a trade. We didn't want him.

You have a point about Damion Lee's injury being a big factor but it seems (and I hope) that he isn’t out for the season. His wife posted about his recent surgery:

“Thankful for a successful surgery for Damion. Praying for mental and physical strength as he continues down the path of recovery & greatness. So proud of him, always!”.

You can kick the tyres on Ish until 10 Jan and he could be a decent trade chip because of his non-guarantee and those trade options open up after mid-Dec but we need to make a decision now and imo, Lee is the only one who very likely won't be on the playoff rotation given he won't be back on board until late in the regular season nor does he have any trade value. The only thing that would keep him on the roster is being a good vibes guy and I suppose a veteran presence. But Ish is also a great vibes guy and he can regular season minutes imo.

The other guy is Bol Bol. I wasn't super high on him when we signed him, saw him more of a novelty and as much as I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, nothing I've seen from him on the court showed me a rotation or even end of bench guy on a contender. The guy is turning 24 and is going into his 5th season and he still lacks awareness on both ends of the court. He really needs to be on a team that is willing to gibe him solid minutes to get reps in.

I'm not a big fan of Keon either so it's Bol or him
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#26 » by suns12345 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:49 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

I disagree.

You can kick the tyres on Ish until 10 Jan and he could be a decent trade chip because of his non-guarantee and those trade options open up after mid-Dec but we need to make a decision now and imo, Lee is the only one who very likely won't be on the playoff rotation given he won't be back on board until late in the regular season nor does he have any trade value. The only thing that would keep him on the roster is being a good vibes guy and I suppose a veteran presence. But Ish is also a great vibes guy and he can regular season minutes imo.

The other guy is Bol Bol. I wasn't super high on him when we signed him, saw him more of a novelty and as much as I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, nothing I've seen from him on the court showed me a rotation or even end of bench guy on a contender. The guy is turning 24 and is going into his 5th season and he still lacks awareness on both ends of the court. He really needs to be on a team that is willing to gibe him solid minutes to get reps in.

I'm not a big fan of Keon either so it's Bol or him

Bol Bol is terrible. Amazing he was touted as a potential lottery pick and correct that he was picked in the 2nd round. Its almost like he still relies on the fact people thought he might go in the lottery as evidence he has potential.`
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#27 » by Saberestar » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:55 pm

The Phoenix Suns have waived forward Ishmail Wainright, league sources told @hoopshype. Wainright has appeared in 105 games for the Suns over the past two seasons.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#28 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:57 pm

That's a shame....Bol Bol would've been higher on my list. Hoping we bring him back on a 2 way
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#29 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:00 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:That's a shame....Bol Bol would've been higher on my list. Hoping we bring him back on a 2 way
Yeah in retrospect I wish they wouldn't have signed Bol and kept that roster spot open for Ish.

I never thought they would cut Bol over Ish. It's like a $6mil savings when you account for the tax because Ish wasn't guaranteed. Even owners who spend don't throw money away over the 15th man on the bench.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#30 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:06 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:That's a shame....Bol Bol would've been higher on my list. Hoping we bring him back on a 2 way
Yeah in retrospect I wish they wouldn't have signed Bol and kept that roster spot open for Ish.

I never thought they would cut Bol over Ish. It's like a $6mil savings when you account for the tax because Ish wasn't guaranteed. Even owners who spend don't throw money away over the 15th man on the bench.

I wasn't high on the signing but didn't really think much of it because it's an end of bench guy, making the vet min with upside. Thought it wasn't going to really matter and it's nice to have a victory cigar dropping bombs from range in blow outs like Suns legend, Pat Burke.

But now I'm pretty against the signing because it now means a guy who we've actually seen help us win some games is being cut.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#31 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:21 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

I wasn't high on the signing but didn't really think much of it because it's an end of bench guy, making the vet min with upside. Thought it wasn't going to really matter and it's nice to have a victory cigar dropping bombs from range in blow outs like Suns legend, Pat Burke.

But now I'm pretty against the signing because it now means a guy who we've actually seen help us win some games is being cut.
I like Ish and really hope he lands somewhere but I just don't have it in me to really care about the end of the bench.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#32 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:55 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Yeah in retrospect I wish they wouldn't have signed Bol and kept that roster spot open for Ish.

I like Ish and really hope he lands somewhere but I just don't have it in me to really care about the end of the bench.

I care in the sense that I think everyone from 1 to 15 needs to have a role on a contender. Whether you're a vibes guy, an energy guy, a really good practice body. Whatever it is, I care that if you're signed to the roster that you have a legitimate positive role. I honestly just don't see Bol Bol having a role. I don't think he's a vibes guy (from what I've seen so far), I don't think he's an energy guy either....so even if ultimately you don't play real minutes, I care that you have a some sort of role.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,947

Post#33 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:12 am

Maybe we keep Johnson, Bol as a long shot asset.

Wainwright and Damion Lee possibly cut?

We'd have a junk time bad potential lineup -

Lee, Johnson, Little, Bol, Azubuike

Hopefully they don't go -14 in 3 minutes to bring the starters back!
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,267

Post#34 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:27 am

Wrong thread
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bigfoot

Post#35 » by bigfoot » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:42 am

Ish 1st to go
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,388

Post#36 » by Golanator » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:34 pm

Keon Johnson or Bol Bol. I'd understand either way they go. Personally I'd cut Keon.

Interested to see what they do. Bol Bol has been bad in preseason but I've seen enough glimpses of his potential in the past to where I'd rather keep him and see what happens. It's also not like he's been sharing the floor with Book/KD/Beal in his time out there.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#37 » by enigmatics » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:36 pm

Golanator wrote:Keon Johnson or Bol Bol. I'd understand either way they go. Personally I'd cut Keon.

Interested to see what they do. Bol Bol has been bad in preseason but I've seen enough glimpses of his potential in the past to where I'd rather keep him and see what happens. It's also not like he's been sharing the floor with Book/KD/Beal in his time out there.

I'd rather keep Bol Bol strictly as a "similar" body to throw at the Holmgren/Wemby matchups for maybe 15-20mins a game. As you pointed out there's potential for Bol to improve when he's on the court with better players.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#38 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:43 pm

If the injury is as bad as it seems I think Lee is the cut.

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#39 » by Saberestar » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:00 pm

“We’re hoping to bring him back first of all,” Vogel said. “We’re big on Ish Wainright, we’re believers in him.”

Re-signing Wainright is a real possibility. Because the Suns have one more two-way spot available, the team can re-sign Wainright. They can sign him to this two-spot if he clears waivers in the next 48 hours.

https://burncitysports.com/2023/10/19/suns-hoping-to-bring-ish-wainright-back-after-waiving-him-today/
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,761

Post#40 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:05 pm

I voted Keon and Wainwright. I don't know much about Lee's injury. If he's out for the season, maybe him, but I like him and we need shooters.

I'd keep Bol Bol for now. I think Eubanks will play about as many minutes as Nurkic. At the very end of the bench, I'd rather take a flyer on a guy like Bol Bol who has some skills, is young and just needs to reign things in a bit and focus on some other things. People watching him on prior teams are pretty high on him.

But who knows. I just don't see a guy like Wainwright. I really like both though when they are on. I just don't think they would have convinced Bol Bol to sign if they were going to cut him.

Return to Phoenix Suns