Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,915

Re: NBA Draft 2024 

Post#301 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed May 15, 2024 4:53 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Edey will be gone at #22. Teams are talking about him as a lottery selection.

This is a distinct possibility as there just aren't many high-end impact prospects or star-level prospects (if any) in this draft. But there ARE still plenty of high-floor productive and skilled rotation and high-level bench contributors throughout the draft, and those with singular elite talents/skillsets that would actually fit our needs quite well! This is specifically why this draft although devoid of star-level or even high-impact talent is actually perfect for us. Because we already have our stars and don't really need anything beyond solid cost-effective bench-level to rotation-level complimentary contributors with beneficial skillsets. And these prospects offer better impact potential and perceived value escalation beyond their rookie scale values as opposed to low-end mediocre vet min options.

Now this is relevant to the Edey premise because teams will look for " sure thing" productive options with high floors, and Edey has established that over consecutive years in college. And his sheer size will guarantee a level of dominance even outside skill set progression. He's a safe bet in a shallow draft.

Edey seems a little lumbering to me. I think if you play a mobilr big next to him, then he'd be fine. Like Miami with Bam, that's a good pairing that would give opposing frontcourts problems. We don't have a Bam.

For us, Missi, Filipowski or if we can get in the lotto, Clingan would be better fits IMO. Dunn would be awesome as well and could fit right in here.

I hear you! And you're right about best case scenario being a team having a mobile big to play next to him to maximize mismatches. So Say we were to draft Edey for his size and dominance, We could still fairly easily look at the undrafted (under-the-radar ranges for 4's or 4/5s to play next to him that have the attributes you're talking about. In the undrafted ranges the names that immediately pop up to me would be:

Undrafted range
1- Drew Pember. A 6'11 very versatile ultra-athletic polished version of Austin Reeves.
2- Quinton Post. A 7' foot very polished and skilled smooth shooting version of Jock Landale.
3- Maxime Raynaud. A 7'1 fluid and energetic version of Pau Gasol.
4- Nolan Winter. A 6'11 budget version of Kyle Filipowski.
5- Coleman Hawkins. A 6'10 skinny but versatile utility big with average athleticism but a solid motor! more or less a homeless man's version of Sabonis.
6- Nae'Quan Tomilin. A 6'10 hybrid mix of Jaden McDaniels (Wolves) and Naz Reid (Wolves).
7- Dawson Garcia. A very quick mobile high motor bouncy version of Dario Saric without the passing.
8- Kwame Evans. A very mobile and smooth but raw version of Michael Porter Jr. and has a very unique two-way potential though as he's already solid defensively.
9- Ba Ba Miller. A 6'11 extremely long and very versatile version of Jonathan Isaac, But who is still very, very raw.
10- Ousmane N'diaye. A 6'11 very long very versatile but extremely raw and skinny version of young Giannis (ceiling potential).

Or you could look at overseas/FIBA prospects:
- Ruben Prey A 6'11 very physical, high-motor, athletic, and very mobile budget version of version of Maxi Kleber?
- Bogoljub Marković. A 6'11 high energy thicker more aggressive version of Pokuveski.
- Zacharie Perrin. A 6'10 young somewhat raw facsimile of Nik Batum.
:D
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 848

Post#302 » by KdoubleDees23 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:22 pm

Get Edey!!!!

Zach Edey 2024 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.19 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.42 seconds

Steven Adams 2014 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.85 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.40 seconds

Rudy Gobert 2014 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 12.85 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.57 seconds

Brook Lopez 2009 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 12.77 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.57 seconds

DeMarcus Cousins 2011 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.40 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.55 seconds

Hassan Whiteside 2011 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.83 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.54 seconds

Nikola Vucevic 2012 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 12.02 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.27 seconds

Bobby Portis 2016 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.78 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.56 seconds

Bam Adebayo 2018 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.94 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.24 seconds

Nicolas Claxton 2020 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.26 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.36 seconds

Xavier Tillman Sr 2021 NBA Combine:

Lane agility test: 11.80 seconds
3/4 court sprint test: 3.49 seconds
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#303 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:12 am

Edey doing better than expected in the combines means he's almost certainly out of reach
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#304 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:26 am

Kolek's measurements are....unremarkable. Draft combines really don't do much for BBIQ or skills (outside of shooting)
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,333

Post#305 » by Slim Charless » Thu May 16, 2024 3:10 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Kolek's measurements are....unremarkable. Draft combines really don't do much for BBIQ or skills (outside of shooting)

Yeah couldn't agree more. I'd love to have him. Give me Kolek, Dunn, and whatever 1 of bigs fit us the best (Flipkowski, Kligan, Missi) and I think we'll have a team that can augment the Big 3. All of those players can fit a Bud team as well.

Trade Nurk to MEM for #9....Kligan
Our own pick....Dunn
Ish buys another pick....Kolek

Perfect off-season (for what we have to work with)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,758

Post#306 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:37 am

Tankathon now has Kolek mocked at 25 (26 on their big board) and Edey mocked at 30 (35 on their big board).

ESPN has Edey ranked 14 and Kolek ranked 28.

nbadraft.net has Kolek mocked at 26 and Edey at 35.

Both tankathon and nbadraft.net have us taking Ke'lel Ware in the draft in their mocks.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#307 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 4:04 am

bwgood77 wrote:Tankathon now has Kolek mocked at 25 (26 on their big board) and Edey mocked at 30 (35 on their big board).

ESPN has Edey ranked 14 and Kolek ranked 28.

nbadraft.net has Kolek mocked at 26 and Edey at 35.

Both tankathon and nbadraft.net have us taking Ke'lel Ware in the draft in their mocks.

I really hope we don't consider Ware as he carries a lot of the same concerning behavioral characteristics that drove people nuts with Ayton. A questionable motor that runs hot and cold with him occasionally drifting in and out of games, aversion to physical play, and bouts of apathetic play. I'm really hoping for Missi to fall somehow if we go big.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#308 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 4:06 am

Slim Charless wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Kolek's measurements are....unremarkable. Draft combines really don't do much for BBIQ or skills (outside of shooting)

Yeah couldn't agree more. I'd love to have him. Give me Kolek, Dunn, and whatever 1 of bigs fit us the best (Flipkowski, Kligan, Missi) and I think we'll have a team that can augment the Big 3. All of those players can fit a Bud team as well.

Our own pick....Dunn

I'd love that idea man! It'd give us an awesome team! But Is Ishbia allowed to buy a pick with us being a 2nd apron team? :dontknow:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#309 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:19 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Our own pick....Dunn

I'd love that idea man! It'd give us an awesome team! But Is Ishbia allowed to buy a pick with us being a 2nd apron team? :dontknow:

Problem is Nurk almost certainly isn't worth a lotto pick even in a weak draft.

I also asked that same question about buying picks since cash consideration isn't allowed in trades anymore.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,333

Post#310 » by Slim Charless » Thu May 16, 2024 4:30 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Our own pick....Dunn

I also asked that same question about buying picks since cash consideration isn't allowed in trades anymore.

Nurk averaged like 11 boards a game, 5 assists on over %50 shooting while playing a career high in games. I think he fits pretty well with what MEM needs. JJJ can block shots and hit the 3, so the fit between the 2 is very good. Not saying it''ll happen but Nurk meshes well with them and likely a lot better than most players available at that spot as far as win now pieces.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#311 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 6:42 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Our own pick....Dunn

Oh I 100% agree with you man! That's why I'm saying that the deal would have to include our 2031 pick, as that'd be a widely perceived high lotto pick value. Now obviously our 2031 pick should return a higher-value option than even the Robinson and McBride package, BUT because we're again a 2nd apron team that can only do "dollar for dollar" matching or lesser salaried contracts, our realistic options are very limited! Those options actually legal under our current CBA conditions would be:

Spoiler:
- Steven Adams. Steven Adams is stronger and slightly more mobile, But fairly redundant and I'm not sure why Houston would trade him for a lesser version of him.

- Mitchell Robinson. The best fit for a 7 ft long, mobile athletic rim running utility big. Getting McBride is a clear bonus at a position of need and both having vet/playoff experience.

- Richaun Holmes. A smaller (6'10) but more mobile and athletic downgrade (in skill) from Nurkic, and the size and thinner frame would get exploited against legit size.

- Marvin Bagley. Bagley is probably the next best-fitting option behind Robinson, with his size, length, and mobility. But he's pretty skinny and not all that athletic. He'd be my 2nd option behind Robinson IF we chose to play KD at the 3, Bagley at the 4 in a simplified defensive and rebounding role as a switchable defender, and then we added a floor spacing 5?

- Jock Landale. Jock is always solid, but quite honestly just not good or reliable enough to play a starting role. He's a quality backup but nothing more.

- Kevon Looney + filler? Kevon Looney is solid too, but only 6'9 and would get abused too by bigger, more athletic centers. Also, he's a very solid positional defender, but can't protect the rim sufficiently, and can't really shoot either to space the floor.

So in terms of the best cumulative value in our situation (IF we move Nurkic), I come back to New York and Mitchell Robinson. It fits well too because of the salary filler being McBride which is another positional need that we could address in one singular deal! Now reports of come out recently too about teams (New York being one) that are looking to trade out of this draft for future picks in a hopefully better draft with more high-end potential. So our 2031 pick fits that interest for them as well as helping us have an additional option to work with that we otherwise wouldn't have. Lastly, New York with their physical smashmouth style of play would be a near-perfect fit for how Nurkic plays, and Nurkic would provide solid playmaking for whenever Randle is out with injury.

The deal would basically become:

Nurkic/ 2031 1st for Robinson/McBride/ 25th pick. That way we'd have a more mobile shot-blocking rim rim-running starting center option in Mitchell Robinson, A solid, proven vet backup guard in McBride, AND BOTH the 22nd and 25th picks we could use together, or keep one, and maybe attach the other still to Littles' salary for a Nik Richards or Jalen McDaniels? I'd personally trade Little/ 25th pick for Richards/42nd pick. Then we'd have our starting and backup center options covered! Something like
Little/ 25th pick for Richards/42nd pick. Getting the 42nd pick would allow us to take a playmaking guard with size. I'd look at Ajay Mitchell or Cam Spencer. If everything goes to plan, this would set us up with a much better roster and depth heading into free agency. And I'd trade Mcbride for a future draft asset ( 25' 2nd)?

22nd- Ryan Dunn.
42nd- Ajay Mitchell.

Undrafted two-ways (3 allowed under new CBA)
1- Nae'Qwan Tomlin. Very mobile, polished, explosive athletic version of Jaden Mcdaniels/Naz Reid.
2- Blake Hinson. A better shooting rugged volume shooting version of Saddiq Bey (42% on 11 attempts per game).
3- Quinton Post. A 7 ft very skilled/polished shooting and rugged versatile 4/5 version of Jacob Poetl/Jock Landale.

So basically, post-draft, we'd be heading into free agency with this:

Beal/ Booker/O'neale / KD / Robinson.
Paul / Allen/ Okogie/ Muscala/ Richards.
or Lowry?
Mitchell/ D Lee/ Dunn/ Bol/ Eubanks.

** Eubanks and Okogie are traded for future protected 2nds?
** Gordon leaves in free agency or is traded same as the other two.

G League affiliate:
- Nae'Qwan Tomlin.
- Blake Hinson.
- Quinton Post.
Lastly, Once Okogie and Eubanks are traded and Gordon leaves, we have three open spots in free agency.

1- We aggressively pursue and sign either Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry as our primary backup guard.
2- We sign Nik Batum for our starting SF. On'eale moves to the backup 3 for added depth.
3- We sign Mike Muscala as our backup floor spacing 4.
4- We sign Goga Bidatze as our 3rd rotation center option to give us a bigger body, bulkier center option that is similar to Nurkic, but more mobile and athletic.

Opening night roster

Beal/ Booker/ Batum/ KD/ Robinson.
Paul/ Allen/ O'neale/ Muscala/ Richards.
Mitchell/ D Lee/ Dunn/ Bol/ Bidatze.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,845

Post#312 » by RedIndian » Thu May 16, 2024 6:42 am

Devin Carter and DaRon Holmes are still my two favourite picks for us at #22. If Carter drops to #22, we should forget about trading the pick. That dude is going to be an awesome role player in the NBA.

I really like Holmes as well - think he should be a solid playoff rotation big in the NBA. He's also an Arizona kid - high character, great motor and does a number of things well.

Kolek I'm still unsure about. I like his IQ and competitiveness, but he measured really poorly in the combine - 6'1.25 w/o shoes, 6'2.75 wingpsan and 7'11 standing reach. That's nowhere near the 6'3 he was touted to be. Basically Garland or Monte Morris size. Can't really see him ever being a starting calibre guard in the NBA with that size - he's going to be targeted a lot defensively.

You can compensate for that if you're AMAZING offensively - like elite handles (Brunson, Garland), elite shooting or elite first step. I don't see that with him. I don't get the Brunson or Dragic comparisons tbh. Brunson is a far superior scorer and ball-handler (and was in college too). Dragic was much bigger and was a terrific athlete in his prime.

I get shades of Ty Jerome with Kolek (though I think Kolek is a better prospect), which worries me. I think the best case outcome for him in the NBA, especially with the tighter whistle and increased physicality, is a Monte Morris or Tyus Jones level backup PG. Not a bad case outcome, but I'm not hugely intrigued.

While we're on the subject of PGs, I think the one who's being completely neglected is Juan Nunez, who's actually an amazing playmaker. Kolek is nice, but Nunez's IQ, touch and craftiness absolutely pops. This guy is one of those rare genius level playmakers (like Rubio). Question marks about his shooting and defense, but he's going to be hugely fun for his passing alone.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#313 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 7:29 am

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#314 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 7:29 am

Read on Twitter

Brazile is another late 2nd solid utility prospect! He's basically a 6'10 pogo stick with three-point shooting that'd operate as a weak side rim protector, a long switchable defender, and a supplementary floor spacer on kick-outs, etc. :wink:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#315 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 7:45 am

Read on Twitter

So Edey moved quicker than Clingan apparently!! :o :o

https://fansided.com/posts/nba-draft-combine-measurements-biggest-winners-losers
NBA Draft Combine winner: Zach Edey
Speak of the devil.

Zach Edey looked great at the Combine. Of course, most of his athletic testing pales in comparison to guards and wings, but Edey moved extremely well for a player his size. Officially listed at 7-foot-3.75 (without shoes) and equipped with a 7-foot-10.75 wingspan that only Victor Wembanyama eclipses, Edey towers above the competition. He's 299 pounds strong, his standing reach is 9-foot-7, and he moved well in the agility tests.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Edey even teased scouts with an impressive 14-of-25 showing in the 3-point star drill, while claiming that he's ready to implement 3s into his game right now. It's important to consider game tape and other indicators when projecting shooting, but Edey's feather-soft touch around the rim and his reasonably high free throw percentage (71.1) suggests that maybe functional 3-point shooting is a realistic outcome.

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,758

Post#316 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:10 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Our own pick....Dunn

I think Nurk, at best, has neutral value. The only team that MIGHT consider him is a team that needs rebounding and passing and has defensive and athleticism, and just needs size. A team like Memphis, who has JJJ for defensive, rim protection, can guard inside and out, and is not a great rebounder. They got rid of Adams, and could use a guy like Nurkic for rebounding. They have a dynamic guard in Ja, defensive studs like Smart, JJJ and Clarke, and a floor spreading sharp shooter, all around solid guy in Bane.

Not sure how many other teams are kind of like this. Probably not many. Now I wouldn't expect someone good from them, but maybe a decent player and a couple 2nds. I think the best possibility would be like Brandon Clarke. Right now they have JJJ set at C and Vince Williams at PF. They desperately need rebounding...and have some great defenders.

The question would be, what do we do at C? Go small with KD and Clarke? Rebounding would be a problem, so we'd have to get a minimum guy or trade some salary for a C. But a guy like Little wouldn't get us much wihout much salary. Throw in a first and it helps, but we'd still have to get some guy who doesn't make a lot. Not sure who.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,282

Post#317 » by King4Day » Thu May 16, 2024 4:22 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Our own pick....Dunn

Yea I have a hard time seeing a team giving us value for Nurk unless offering up a similar player who is 'meh'.
Nurk was really good for us, but his flaws are known, and he'd really only be good for an up-and-coming team in need of a bruiser down low. Knowing they won't be in the playoffs/
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#318 » by tester551 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:25 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:So Edey moved quicker than Clingan apparently!! :o :o

Not sure why that was such a surprise... Clingan's athleticism is being drastically overrated & Edey's is being underrated.
When I watch game film of both - I don't see much difference between the two.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#319 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 7:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

I think Nurk, at best, has neutral value. The only team that MIGHT consider him is a team that needs rebounding and passing and has defensive and athleticism, and just needs size. A team like Memphis, who has JJJ for defensive, rim protection, can guard inside and out, and is not a great rebounder. They got rid of Adams, and could use a guy like Nurkic for rebounding. They have a dynamic guard in Ja, defensive studs like Smart, JJJ and Clarke, and a floor spreading sharp shooter, all around solid guy in Bane.

Not sure how many other teams are kind of like this. Probably not many. Now I wouldn't expect someone good from them, but maybe a decent player and a couple 2nds. I think the best possibility would be like Brandon Clarke. Right now they have JJJ set at C and Vince Williams at PF. They desperately need rebounding...and have some great defenders.

The question would be, what do we do at C? Go small with KD and Clarke? Rebounding would be a problem, so we'd have to get a minimum guy or trade some salary for a C. But a guy like Little wouldn't get us much without much salary. Throw in a first and it helps, but we'd still have to get some guy who doesn't make a lot. Not sure who.

Solid points as always, and Slim was also on point that Nurkic would be a good fit for them too. Memphis has the 9th,39th and 57th picks. Now I do like Nurkic for his simplistic production and physicality, but I'm not too sure he could return the 9th pick even in this rather shallow draft unless we were willing to attach the 2031 1st along with him, and I honestly don't think that our front office values the draft enough to consider that! Sans the 2031 1st, I'd still push hard for the 9th pick, Not because I favor a specific talent in that round, but rather (IF we could still get it back) then we could then look to trade back in the range of the 14-18 area while picking up additional assets. Maybe with one of:

1 Portland For the 14th and 34th picks. ** Sign Bidatze in free agency, Or Joel Soriano on a two-way?
14- Missi.
22- Kolek.
34- Ryan Dunn.

2 Pels- for the 17th and 21st picks. For the 17th and 21st picks. ** Sign Bidatze in free agency, Or Joel Soriano on a two-way? (Joel Soriano is a 6'11 255 lb bulky, fluid, physical double/double machine) Listed at 255 lbs, but is closer to 265 lbs actually. He has a 15% Offensive rebounding percentage, can pass, shoot, and block shots well too.
17- Missi.
21- Kolek.
22- Dunn.

3 New York For the 24th and 25th picks (*** specifically allowing us to now flip Little/24th pick to Charlotte for Nik Richards) :wink:
22- Missi.
25- Dunn.
*Undrafted range
Zion Pullin.
The pattern I'm choosing with these prospects is their elite defensive ability that'll play to Budenholzer's defense first- switch-heavy scheme, and more importantly, because all three are not ball-dominant players and are more utility players that play off the ball (Missi/ Dunn), OR make the players around them better by assisting them (Kolek or Pullin). These players are IDEAL COMPLIMENTARY OPTIONS that'd complement our big three without taking the ball out of there hands. And also likely getting back Clarke as a salary filler whom we can play defensively at the backup three for added size, rebounding and energetic defense possibly? It'd give us a slightly bigger bench lineup too.

Then in free agency, you aggressively target Goga Bidatze to replace Nurkic, with very similar size, and similar abilities, BUT who's more mobile and more athletic! Sure Bidatze doesn't put up as big numbers as Nurkic does, But I believe that's due to playing time disparity. Also, Nurkic has 40 pounds on Bidatze, But honestly, Bidatze could probably add around 20 more pounds, and even at 270 pounds would still be more mobile and athletic than Nurkic!

Beal/ Booker/ Batum/ KD/ Bidatze.
Allen/ O'neale/ Clarke/ Muscala/ Richards.
or Lowry?
Kolek/ D Lee/ Dunn/ Bol/ Missi.
** Eubanks, Okogie, and Gordon traded for future 2nds, or they leave for other opportunities.

G League affiliate
1- Nae'Qwan Tomlin. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/naeqwan-tomlin-1.html
2- Blake Hinson. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/blake-hinson-1.html
3- Quinton Post. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/quinten-post-1.html
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#320 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 16, 2024 7:40 pm

tester551 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:So Edey moved quicker than Clingan apparently!! :o :o

Not sure why that was such a surprise... Clingan's athleticism is being drastically overrated & Edey's is being underrated.
When I watch game film of both - I don't see much difference between the two.

Yep! And this is why he'll likely go well before our range, most likely to one of OKC (12), Miami (15), or perhaps even higher to the Spurs at (8) or the Grizzlies at (9)?? But IF that were to happen, then hopefully it'd push Missi down into the 20s' for us to grab while keeping Nurkic too! :D

Return to Phoenix Suns