Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,341

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#481 » by Slim Charless » Thu May 9, 2024 1:50 am

Puff wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:Dude, you know you don't have to be contrarian right?

Lol. I'm serious though.

Vogel is not the problem. The issue here is the fit and too many players with overlapping skills. What we need here is more dirty work guys and players that will complement our Big 3. That, or a trade of 1 of them.

Either way, it's how they work that's the issue. It's kind of mishmash unit of individuals. Booker needs to take a back seat to KD and Beal needs to accept a spot coming off the bench.

Has any team won a chip with a 3-guard starting lineup not including a PG? I don't think so.

As I have mentioned previously the biggest need is to get bigger. That specifically is directed at the starting lineup. Last years team suffered from getting less shots than their opponents a nightly basis. We also shot better from the field than our opponents. We also did not do well on fast break points so why not have everyone onboard to get the defensive board. The size issue cannot be fixed by Vogel. The effort level should be solved by Vogel. He really seem to have issues in the locker room. That said I do not like Fizdale at all and questioned Kevin Young's hire as lead assistant. Once I hired Vogel I would have let Young walk. Someone is causing a fracture in the locker room and that has to be fixed. Is it a coach or is it a player?

If they dump the 3 guard offense while getting someone in the mold of Jaden McDaniels that is willing to bring heat every minute of every game we might have a chance to turn this thing around with Vogel.

Well someone like Filipowski can dish pretty well for a big, with a bit of range too. He can slot right in at our 5 and produce to some extent. I wouldn't complain if we could aquire Dunn as well. His defense-Herb Jones like would be a Godsend on this team.

If we insist on keeping the Big 3 together then we need to move Nurk and get another 1st this yr. OKC seems like a great spot for him although they're doing quite fine thus far.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,436

Post#482 » by Puff » Thu May 9, 2024 2:27 am

Why did JJ pass on Brunson?
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,436

Post#483 » by Puff » Thu May 9, 2024 2:31 am

Why didn't JJ go after DiVincenzo the year GS picked him up off the scrap heap?

Our real problem is James Jones Wake the fook up Ish.

He also pick Vogel as our coach. Or did he?
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#484 » by Frank Lee » Thu May 9, 2024 2:35 am

Humor yourself Slim…. These guys arent drafting anyone except for the outside chance they cant work a trade. Is there any indication otherwise?
What ? Me Worry ?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#485 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 9, 2024 2:38 am

Why did JJ pass on Brunson? Why did JJ pass on DiVicenzo? Why did JJ pass on Luka? Why did JJ pass on Haliburton? Why did JJ pass on Deng? Why did JJ pass on Rondo? Why did JJ pass on Ayo Dosunmu? Why did JJ pass on Herbert Jones? Why did JJ pass oh Andrew Nembhard? Why did JJ pass on Jaylin Williams? Why did JJ pass on Jrue Holiday? Why did JJ pass on Giannis?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,948

Post#486 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 9, 2024 3:22 am

Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,341

Post#487 » by Slim Charless » Thu May 9, 2024 3:34 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:Why did JJ pass on Brunson? Why did JJ pass on DiVicenzo? Why did JJ pass on Luka? Why did JJ pass on Haliburton? Why did JJ pass on Deng? Why did JJ pass on Rondo? Why did JJ pass on Ayo Dosunmu? Why did JJ pass on Herbert Jones? Why did JJ pass oh Andrew Nembhard? Why did JJ pass on Jaylin Williams? Why did JJ pass on Jrue Holiday? Why did JJ pass on Giannis?

A lot of those questions can be answered with one word:

Sarver.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#488 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 9, 2024 3:47 am

Frank Lee wrote:Haliburton with 23 and 5 at the half… yeah Jones, im talking to you

Good luck finding another mcDaniels on the scrap heap pile

He won't even put a minute in to try and look, BUT I'll offer 5 names outside the draft that ar nearly identical in archetype and attributes:
1- Naqwon Tomlin.
2- Trevon Brazile.
3- JT Toppin.
4- Jalen Bridges.
5- Samis Calderon.
:wink:
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#489 » by Stix » Thu May 9, 2024 3:52 am

Puff wrote:what in the world was JJ smoking when he didn't select Haliburton?

It was some good stuff let me tell you.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,819

Post#490 » by sunsbum » Thu May 9, 2024 3:58 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:Why did JJ pass on Brunson? Why did JJ pass on DiVicenzo? Why did JJ pass on Luka? Why did JJ pass on Haliburton? Why did JJ pass on Deng? Why did JJ pass on Rondo? Why did JJ pass on Ayo Dosunmu? Why did JJ pass on Herbert Jones? Why did JJ pass oh Andrew Nembhard? Why did JJ pass on Jaylin Williams? Why did JJ pass on Jrue Holiday? Why did JJ pass on Giannis?
This game is king of idiot thinking. There’s literally no GM out there that hasn’t passed on a mega star or 2. None. This isn’t directed at you just a general statement.
I hate this team.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#491 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 9, 2024 4:10 am

sunsbum wrote:
This game is king of idiot thinking. There’s literally no GM out there that hasn’t passed on a mega star or 2. None. This isn’t directed at you just a general statement.

Just frustrating how 9 out of 10 times our scouts miss an opportunity to draft a mega superstar, instead we draft a weak star in Booker. You just can’t make this stuff up.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#492 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 9, 2024 6:40 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,020

Post#493 » by Saberestar » Thu May 9, 2024 7:35 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#494 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 9, 2024 9:41 am

Let KD go to Miami I can’t stand watching him anymore. The guy had 15 years to practice how to dribble & pass instead decided to shoot, shoot & shoot. Arguable the greatest shooter ever but can’t do anything else on the court. He’ll never be an alpha that’s why teaming up with greats makes most sense to him. KD is not a first option and will never be one.
Sunlight
Bench Warmer
And1: 669

Post#495 » by Sunlight » Thu May 9, 2024 9:45 am

Haliburton wouldn't have gotten playing time behind CP3 and Cam Payne for three years. Sitting on the bench would not have developed him. Started 150 games in the first three years. He wouldn't have started a game under Monty. Monty didn't give playing time to the youngsters. After one bad game, the rest of the season in the doghouse.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,803

Post#496 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:06 am

Sunlight wrote:Haliburton wouldn't have gotten playing time behind CP3 and Cam Payne for three years. Sitting on the bench would not have developed him. Started 150 games in the first three years. He wouldn't have started a game under Monty. Monty didn't give playing time to the youngsters. After one bad game, the rest of the season in the doghouse.

Maybe but with the benefit of hindsight, he likely would've battled Cam for the backup point role by the end of his rookie season and potentially would've been CP3's back up by his second season. Based on his skill set, I don't see why he couldn't have been a poor man's CP3 even as a rookie.

But anyway, I don't understand why people keep bringing it up as if it would change a damn thing
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,487

Post#497 » by sunskerr » Thu May 9, 2024 11:26 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Sunlight wrote:Haliburton wouldn't have gotten playing time behind CP3 and Cam Payne for three years. Sitting on the bench would not have developed him. Started 150 games in the first three years. He wouldn't have started a game under Monty. Monty didn't give playing time to the youngsters. After one bad game, the rest of the season in the doghouse.

Maybe but with the benefit of hindsight, he likely would've battled Cam for the backup point role by the end of his rookie season and potentially would've been CP3's back up by his second season. Based on his skill set, I don't see why he couldn't have been a poor man's CP3 even as a rookie.

But anyway, I don't understand why people keep bringing it up as if it would change a damn thing

Many people wanted Haliburton here at the time and felt he was consensus BPA after falling. Then we drafted another center who was supposed to back up Ayton.

And like the Doncic miss it's the second situation where an elite player was available and we passed on him.

And you don't think having a 24 year old 20/10 guy would change people's perceptions about the future of the team?

C'mon man we're better than that.

Our current situation of having to sell the farm for KD is literally an echo of the teams failure to draft a second star around Book. History matters.
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,149

Post#498 » by handsome salary » Thu May 9, 2024 12:57 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

Because he's still playing ball unlike Book and his superfriends.
phnart
Junior
And1: 464

Post#499 » by phnart » Thu May 9, 2024 1:08 pm

At this point, I just want to watch a Suns team that has heart, plays hard every night, and is building towards a championship. I don’t care who is on the team as I have no real emotional tie or respect for any of the players they have now. They are all just guys wearing a uniform right now and it would be more enjoyable to root for more than that next year.
The moon is a ufo.
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 691

Post#500 » by Djedefre » Thu May 9, 2024 2:50 pm

Well, as long as Ishbia is in his delusional phase (assuming it's not a lifetime thing), we won't see a functional, likable team. We can pray something happens forcing him to sell (like the Sarver thing), but that's just pure sf right now. Maybe in a few years when he sees scorched earth all around him, he'll understand how comically incompetent he is and let actual professionals run things here. Till that day comes, stay strong fellas.

Return to Phoenix Suns