ImageImageImage

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,548

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title 

Post#61 » by Stix » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:14 pm

King4Day wrote:For those thinking Beal won't waive his NTC, I think he understands the hell this team is in. Unless he doesn't care about a good basketball situation anymore and just wants to be happy in life, I think if the right team came along, a team could bite.

Lol, who would want him? That contract is going to prevent any sort of deal. We are stuck. I’m applying to be converted to a Knicks fan for the next 3 years.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,164

Post#62 » by garrick » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:22 pm

I still think Ishbia is going to be stupid enough to trade for Trae Young.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,275

Post#63 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:47 pm

phnart wrote:If the Suns make trades, I expect Booker to be the first to go. Something has soured him on being a Suns player. He’s also the highest value asset so getting him to the Eastern Conference seems likely.

Beal probably retires a Sun.

Durant is probably gone, too.

There is no joy with this team. Ishbia wants to have fun with this business and win. I’m sure he is as disgusted as the rest of us.

I have a friend who's a Nets fan. I remember when they traded everything to get KG and Peirce.
It was a terrible move then and set that franchise back. It is the reason Boston has Tatum and Brown as they are direct results from the Nets picks and while the Nets had a shot when they got KD and Kyrie, the C's look like they will get the last laugh from all of this.

That said, we have now done the same thing. We make a short-sighted trade that eliminates our future. I wasn't opposed to getting KD, but not at the expense it cost us.
If it doesn't work, we're a treadmill team for the next 7 years with nothing to show for it.
This is why trading KD now, while his value is still high (people can say it's not, but I assure you it is), is necessary....because it didn't work and we flamed out in the most spectacular way.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM

Post#64 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:48 pm

Stix wrote:
King4Day wrote:For those thinking Beal won't waive his NTC, I think he understands the hell this team is in. Unless he doesn't care about a good basketball situation anymore and just wants to be happy in life, I think if the right team came along, a team could bite.

Lol, who would want him? That contract is going to prevent any sort of deal. We are stuck. I’m applying to be converted to a Knicks fan for the next 3 years.

I still think Miami would deal for him for Robinson and Rozier or pieces like that for example. Detroit may.
Will we get much value or will it be easy? No. It's to get smaller contracts. But it's possible.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#65 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm

garrick wrote:

I still think Ishbia is going to be stupid enough to trade for Trae Young.

Unless they accept Beal, he ain't coming here.

I can see Detroit going after him. Otherwise LA
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,164

Post#66 » by garrick » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm

King4Day wrote:
phnart wrote:If the Suns make trades, I expect Booker to be the first to go. Something has soured him on being a Suns player. He’s also the highest value asset so getting him to the Eastern Conference seems likely.

There is no joy with this team. Ishbia wants to have fun with this business and win. I’m sure he is as disgusted as the rest of us.

I have a friend who's a Nets fan. I remember when they traded everything to get KD and Peirce.
It was a terrible move then and set that franchise back. It is the reason Boston has Tatum and Brown as they are direct results from the Nets picks and while the Nets had a shot when they got KD and Kyrie, the C's look like they will get the last laugh from all of this.

That said, we have now done the same thing. We make a short-sighted trade that eliminates our future. I wasn't opposed to getting KD, but not at the expense it cost us.
If it doesn't work, we're a treadmill team for the next 7 years with nothing to show for it.
This is why trading KD now, while his value is still high (people can say it's not, but I assure you it is), is necessary....because it didn't work and we flamed out in the most spectacular way.

The thing is without a deep playoff run most teams are going to steer clear of KD and won't give up many assets for him. Is there another owner stupid enough to give up a boatload of picks and young talent for an aging and increasingly detached KD?
King4Day
RealGM

Post#67 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:53 pm

garrick wrote:
King4Day wrote:

I have a friend who's a Nets fan. I remember when they traded everything to get KD and Peirce.

The thing is without a deep playoff run most teams are going to steer clear of KD and won't give up many assets for him. Is there another owner stupid enough to give up a boatload of picks and young talent for an aging and increasingly detached KD?

I really think NY will make a play for him. Brunson is their ball handler. KD can play the Randle role.
KD had a really good season but a lot went into why it appeared to just be numbers instead of impact on winning.
Defensively he was excellent and he can still have clutch games from time to time.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#68 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:27 pm

15+ years ago I used to mod another Suns forum. I was able to always be optimistic and honest to god believe it. Keep things positive.
What this team has done to me, being so negative all the time and pessimistic, is so deflating. I was never like this. 2 more losses and I can finally enjoy my summer.
I'll focus on the NHL playoffs which I always enjoy watching (and my team didn't even make the playoffs!).
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,238

Post#69 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm

King4Day wrote:15+ years ago I used to mod another Suns forum. I was able to always be optimistic and honest to god believe it. Keep things positive.
What this team has done to me, being so negative all the time and pessimistic, is so deflating. I was never like this. 2 more losses and I can finally enjoy my summer.
I'll focus on the NHL playoffs which I always enjoy watching (and my team didn't even make the playoffs!).

Same here. Although Suns are the only team I root for :-?
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,149

Post#70 » by handsome salary » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:56 pm

King4Day wrote:15+ years ago I used to mod another Suns forum. I was able to always be optimistic and honest to god believe it. Keep things positive.

Suns best ever chance at winning a title in team history = nothing
Suns best regular season = nothing
Suns only number pick from draft with franchise/MVP level players = gone/nothing
Suns young core of hope and interest = gone
Suns whiffing on draft picks to carry on into future
Betting on the player from worst four seasons in team history
Suns trading away future for an old/disinterested likely first round exit team

There's a mighty list of heartaches and what ifs to ruin any fan for a while.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#71 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 pm

handsome salary wrote:

Suns best ever chance at winning a title in team history = nothing
Suns best regular season = nothing
Suns only number pick from draft with franchise/MVP level players = gone/nothing
Suns young core of hope and interest = gone
Suns whiffing on draft picks to carry on into future
Betting on the player from worst four seasons in team history
Suns trading away future for an old/disinterested likely first round exit team

There's a mighty list of heartaches and what ifs to ruin any fan for a while.

Top of my offseason wish list is to fire James Jones. He's had plenty of leeway and failed at nearly every corner.
The biggest malpractice will always be Haliburton, simply because he was the consensus pick and fell into our laps. Getting Paul, and our finals run, bought him more time. But he needs to go.... and not replace him with IT.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,320

Post#72 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:21 pm

He went to UnIversity of Florida. The Magic need a perimeter player with range badly. That would be the dream since they have tons of picks and young players. I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.

Durant will be the only one moving on, if we move on from any of them.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#73 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pm

Slim Charless wrote:

He went to UnIversity of Florida. The Magic need a perimeter player with range badly. That would be the dream since they have tons of picks and young players. I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.

It'll be a conversation for the offseason but I believe Book and Beal can work together if it's a 'big 2'.
Using a KD trade to fill in the blanks.

Years later, we can move Booker to replenish picks if it comes to that. There's no urgency there.

And I don't want this to sound like it's all KD's fault because it's not.
But if Booker can be the guy to go to, to take the big shots, then we're screwed anyway.

KD for Randle and picks. That'd give us a PF who can handle the ball and shoot the 3 well. Picks to replenish the farm a bit (or use to make future trades).

I do wonder if there is any way to get Murray from the Hawks (in a KD type trade). But then we become a smaller team. Lots what what ifs.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#74 » by spanishninja » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 pm

King4Day wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

It'll be a conversation for the offseason but I believe Book and Beal can work together if it's a 'big 2'.

Years later, we can move Booker to replenish picks if it comes to that. There's no urgency there.

But if Booker can be the guy to go to, to take the big shots, then we're screwed anyway.

KD for Randle and picks. That'd give us a PF who can handle the ball and shoot the 3 well. Picks to replenish the farm a bit (or use to make future trades).

I do wonder if there is any way to get Murray from the Hawks (in a KD type trade). But then we become a smaller team. Lots what what ifs.

if you're not trading Beal you're not trading for Murray. Especially since we already resigned Grayson.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,548

Post#75 » by Stix » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:35 pm

No One. And I mean NO ONE is going to trade for Bradley Beal.

And why would they? You can get an equally talented, and younger player for half the price.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#76 » by matt131 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:44 pm

I don't think I've ever had less fun watching basketball than I did this year. My wife straight up asked me if I even find the sport enjoyable anymore; I'm not sure I do at the moment.

I understand the risk/reward aspect of trades, but what I did not expect is to have the joy sucked out of my favorite sport.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#77 » by King4Day » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:01 pm

I'm surprised his twitter account is still active.

Read on Twitter
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,320

Post#78 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:13 pm

spanishninja wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

if you're not trading Beal you're not trading for Murray. Especially since we already resigned Grayson.

I don't know why no one else sees the OKC connection. Durant wants to rehab his image? Go back home to where it all started and bring them a title. He would fit awesome there and so would Nurk. That's our best chance at getting a good deal.

We all need to be big Pels fans. If they beat OKC, Presti would be more inclined to make a big deal this summer. Personally, the Pelicans are now the team I'm rooting for the hardest-over the Suns. For the time being at least lol
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,881

Post#79 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:40 pm

Slim Charless wrote:

Good point!
Miami is also in Florida, and originally they did show interest in him prior to him saying he only wanted the suns. Then they quickly flipped pursuit to Lillard whom they lost out on and instead settled for Rozier as a cheaper yet somewhat similar lesser talented version of what they desired in Beal (coveting a scoring guard to boost their backcourt offense. I guess my point is that they'd likely have interest, and even though their picks kinda suck, at least in a trade with them, we could maybe break Beals' 50+ million into smaller pieces?? Most likely something like:

Beal for Herro/Rozier/filler/ 2026 1st (made on draft night- per Stepian rule).
2026' Lakers 2nd.
**Then look to flip either Herro or Rozier elsewhere for more assets?? Maybe keep Herro and trade Rozier. Herro can be the bargain version of Booker for us if Booker gets moved or asks out?

I wonder If Utah could be interested in Beal IF we took back Collins (sign n trade)/ sexton? Maybe also get back Utah 25' 1st/ LAL27' 1st (1-4 protected).
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#80 » by spanishninja » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:49 pm

King4Day wrote:I'm surprised his twitter account is still active.

Read on Twitter

wow, if convicted we may have control of our 1st round picks by the time he gets out.

Return to Phoenix Suns