ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#701 » by sunsbg » Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

darealjuice wrote:I think Bud's a better coach than Vogel, but this doesn't change much for us in the grand scheme of things. Coaching can't fix a unbalanced roster. Hopefully we'll shoot more 3s though.

Well, a coach should have a say in decision making. If Bud insists the team needs a certain type of player it's the GM's job to work a deal for such player.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,993

Post#702 » by Saberestar » Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:Someone sell this to me. GoKers?

Terrific hiring.

• He is from Arizona and he was a Suns fan.

• We are talking about the best HC available in the world. I can’t understand how people wouldn't be excited about it.

• 5th HC in wins in the entire NBA being just 54 years old.

• 17 years as a Popovic's assistant, 5 successful years in Atlanta and 5 terrific years in Milwaukee. Experience and great results.

• Championship HC and we know very well about it lol.

• He took a year off because of a family member's death but he wants to coach again. He is gonna have tons of energy IMO.

• Offensive coach, his teams usually are great from the 3p line. We needed to improve badly in that area.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 856

Post#703 » by Desertfox » Fri May 10, 2024 3:59 pm

He's a good coach, but the roster still has massive issues and the Suns (and Arizona sports on general) are simply cursed.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,802

Post#704 » by darealjuice » Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 pm

sunsbg wrote:
darealjuice wrote:I think Bud's a better coach than Vogel, but this doesn't change much for us in the grand scheme of things. Coaching can't fix a unbalanced roster. Hopefully we'll shoot more 3s though.

Well, a coach should have a say in decision making. If Bud insists the team needs a certain type of player it's the GM's job to work a deal for such player.

Of course, but we’re a bit hamstrung on realistic options at the moment bar any big surprises
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 665

Post#705 » by SideSwipe » Fri May 10, 2024 4:09 pm

Arizona-raised local boy comes home to coach. I actually like this hiring the best. I wasn't a fan of the Vogel hiring, I think Billups has not got enough experience as a coach yet and in general I'm not a fan of Lue's coaching yet either.

Not sure what this does to my dream scenario of prying Giannis out of MIL, though. Our biggest issue outside of coaching was motor, and Giannis brings the motor every night.

I should also add, that as much as I like KD this team was better when Booker accepted the fact that he was the clear leader and rose to the occasion.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#706 » by Saberestar » Fri May 10, 2024 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#707 » by Saberestar » Fri May 10, 2024 4:50 pm

Shams
The Suns are expected to offer lead assistant David Fizdale a new front office role, but a source briefed on Fizdale’s thinking indicated he is currently not expected to accept it.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#708 » by Saberestar » Fri May 10, 2024 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,817

Post#709 » by BobbieL » Fri May 10, 2024 5:26 pm

Saberestar wrote:

Terrific hiring.

• We are talking about the best HC available in the world. I can’t understand how people wouldn't be excited about it.

• 17 years as a Popovic's assistant, 5 successful years in Atlanta and 5 terrific years in Milwaukee. Experience and great results.

• He took a year off because of a family member's death but he wants to coach again. He is gonna have tons of energy IMO.

• Offensive coach, his teams usually are great from the 3p line. We needed to improve badly in that area.

Roster changes should be interesting and everything should be on the damn table. EVERYTHING. Granted, they are kind of hamstrung with contracts and new salary cap rules
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#710 » by MathiasPW » Fri May 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Saberestar wrote:

Terrific hiring.

I remember something similar in 2018, along the lines of:

• He plays for Arizona and he was a Suns fan.

• We are talking about the best C available in the draft. I can’t understand how people wouldn't be excited about it.

• Offensive player, his teams usually are great in rebounding. We needed to improve badly in that area.

Worked great for us!
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,805

Post#711 » by sunsbum » Fri May 10, 2024 6:03 pm

Wet blanket checking in… bucks fans hated him the years leading up to the championship and wanted to get rid of him badly. Wins the chip, still fired a year later.
I hate this team.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,804

Post#712 » by thamadkant » Fri May 10, 2024 6:42 pm

Bud is fine... a championship coach. But so was Vogel.

Bud's success will come down to how he will integrate KD, Booker and Beal while still making them happy. Which is a super tall task because they all clash because they need the same spots, same plays to get their games going since all are jump shooters. None are happy being distributors first, none are happy being slashers and finishers... all 3 need 5 to 6 seconds off the shot clock dribbling their way for jump shots.
KD just literally complained about being used as a catch and shoot player... literally.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,888

Post#713 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 10, 2024 6:47 pm

thamadkant wrote:Nurkic's 18M is in essence much worse than 33M Ayton because Nurkic is unplayable in the playoffs.

Who will trade for Nurkic?

Maybe Hornets or Rockets, but 18M is hard to swallow for no defense... Kanter back in the day was at least elite down low

There are a couple of teams that I would think would have SOME interest in Nurkic, just for his size, physicality, and production. OR basically because they're otherwise lacking any decent center at that position. those teams that seem most likely to have interest in Nurkic or are just fairly desperate for any decent center option are:

1- San Antonio.
The Spurs would covet Nurkic for his size, girth, and physicality that'll cover for Wembys' slight/fragile frame.

2- Memphis.
Memphis will be fairly desperate here as they currently have NO CENTERS on their roster, so Nurkic could be desirable!

3- Washington.
Washington has a decent low-level center option in Holmes, But would likely agree to an upgrade swap!!

4- Brooklyn.
IF Brooklyn loses Claxton, Then Brooklyn is primed for a Nurkic trade to give them a legit center option with size and physicality.

5- Detroit.
Detroit really needs more vet depth at various positions simply because Monty Williams sucks at youth development, and Detroit definitely is anxious to advance its competitive trajectory.

6- OKC.
Much like San Antonio, needs a big, burly physical 5 that'll insulate Chet from having to bang against bigger, stronger and more physical 5s' and then he can move to the 4 spot! :nod:
** I only put OKC last because I'm almost certain that OKC will take a center (possibly Clingan) Missi, or Edey from the draft!
thamadkant

Post#714 » by thamadkant » Fri May 10, 2024 6:50 pm

Suns must still trade one of the 3 for a different type of player.

Heck Andrew Wiggins type of player would be huge next to 2 of the suns three. Would Beal like a trade to Warriors?

Personally I see the suns having immense potential to still have a contender and also get plenty of assets back in case of injury... and that is by trading Booker for picks and young players. KD, Beal can still be a championship team with the right players coming back for Booker and the 2 or 3 first rounders would give suns plenty of options drafting youth.

But that is considered blasphemy by many and hence Suns still look dire.

KD had a relatively healthy season... law of averages means he will likely miss chunks of games next season.

All I'm saying is... Bud has a high chance of being fired end of next season or the season after anyways barring miracle or Suns making big trades to fix the imbalance of the team.

Even NBA2K couldn't simulate a the desired outcome with the current roster.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,888

Post#715 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 10, 2024 7:02 pm

sunsbum wrote:Wet blanket checking in… bucks fans hated him the years leading up to the championship and wanted to get rid of him badly. Wins the chip, still fired a year later.

Yep. Bud is NOT as much of an offense-minded coach as he's being made out to be, he's actually a defense-oriented coach very much
in a similar archetype to Vogel. Basically, he's Vogel 2.0 with the only really noticeable difference being that Budenholzer has a more abrasive nature as in his players don't often like him much. And even an easygoing Giannis wanted him gone by the following season. Lastly, Everyone is lauding his 2021 championship as an indicator for being an elite championship coach, but really do you have to be anything more than a decent coach when you have a freaking prime-level Giannis and Jrue Holiday and depth? Sure they beat us handily, but if to be fair, who hasn't really beaten us in embarrassing fashion in the playoffs?? :lol:
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#716 » by BobbieL » Fri May 10, 2024 7:04 pm

thamadkant wrote:Suns must still trade one of the 3 for a different type of player.

Heck Andrew Wiggins type of player would be huge next to 2 of the suns three. Would Beal like a trade to Warriors?

Personally I see the suns having immense potential to still have a contender and also get plenty of assets back in case of injury... and that is by trading Booker for picks and young players. KD, Beal can still be a championship team with the right players coming back for Booker and the 2 or 3 first rounders would give suns plenty of options drafting youth.

But that is considered blasphemy by many and hence Suns still look dire.

KD had a relatively healthy season... law of averages means he will likely miss chunks of games next season.

All I'm saying is... Bud has a high chance of being fired end of next season or the season after anyways barring miracle or Suns making big trades to fix the imbalance of the team.

Even NBA2K couldn't simulate a the desired outcome with the current roster.

I am good doing whatever it takes. I think Booker or KD would have the most potential in return. Suns just need more depth. O'Neal and Allen are nice players off the bench but they could use a bit more. And that will be hard to get with Little, Nurkic and the 22nd pick

As for Beal to the Warriors for Wiggins - I am not sure that can work. Both teams are lux teams -- -Wiggins makes 60% of what Beal makes; Beal would have to accept the trade. Warriors are probably moving on from Klay so could Curry Beal and Green work
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#717 » by sunsbg » Fri May 10, 2024 7:17 pm

If the team underachieves again next season it'd be clear the coaching is not the main problem if there was a doubt about it. Player trades are a lot more likely going forward if things don't go as expected again. Budenholzer is an upgrade though and with extra motivation from the players after getting swept, better results are the logical outcome. How much better ? Who knows. Injuries may play a role. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,037

Post#718 » by TeamTragic » Fri May 10, 2024 7:29 pm

sunsbg wrote:If the team underachieves again next season it'd be clear the coaching is not the main problem if there was a doubt about it. Player trades are a lot more likely going forward if things don't go as expected again. Budenholzer is an upgrade though and with extra motivation from the players after getting swept, better results are the logical outcome. How much better ? Who knows. Injuries may play a role. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well then we keep Bud and have cap space to sign FAs in 2026 and beyond.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#719 » by BobbieL » Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 pm

TeamTragic wrote:
sunsbg wrote:If the team underachieves again next season it'd be clear the coaching is not the main problem if there was a doubt about it. Player trades are a lot more likely going forward if things don't go as expected again. Budenholzer is an upgrade though and with extra motivation from the players after getting swept, better results are the logical outcome. How much better ? Who knows. Injuries may play a role. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well then we keep Bud and have cap space to sign FAs in 2026 and beyond.

As long as Ishbia isn't stupid and signs Durant to an extension this offseason. Nurkic and KD both would come off after 2026.
thamadkant

Post#720 » by thamadkant » Fri May 10, 2024 7:34 pm

sunsbum wrote:
thamadkant wrote:Nurkic's 18M is in essence much worse than 33M Ayton because Nurkic is unplayable in the playoffs.

Who will trade for Nurkic?

Maybe Hornets or Rockets, but 18M is hard to swallow for no defense... Kanter back in the day was at least elite down low
I think theres a lot of blame to pass around but even with nurks shortcomings he doesn't deserve a whole lot, if any.

He's fine as backup center in the playoffs... 18M for backup center is luxury.

The playoffs the big man needs to be reliable defensively so the perimeter defense structure works. Especially today. All 5 should be able to switch and NOT be an automatic score for the opposition.

Wolves and Gobert fixed their weakness by having Gobert improve his perimeter defense. It really shows this season.

Return to Phoenix Suns