Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#841 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter

As it pertains to potential Beal to LA Flakers discussions,

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-
Bradley Beal (3rd star) ??

Phoenix-
D Russell/Hachimura/Vincent/ Wood/17th pick.
:D
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,046

Post#842 » by TeamTragic » Sun May 12, 2024 5:36 pm

I'm getting the feeling that maybe this is not a great draft.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,265

Post#843 » by MrMiyagi » Sun May 12, 2024 5:39 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-
Not your finest work. I'd rather keep Beal than trade him for those bums
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,266

Post#844 » by Calvin Klein » Sun May 12, 2024 5:41 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

Do it and find a 3rd team for Dlo
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#845 » by TeamTragic » Sun May 12, 2024 5:45 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

Agreed plus not interested in helping the Lakers.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,899

Post#846 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 5:46 pm

TeamTragic wrote:I'm getting the feeling that maybe this is not a great draft.

Yeah, this draft is more of a flush with role players, rotation options and potential impact rotation players. But seeing as how we apparently already have our stars anyways and do need depth and players with specific skills and talents for bench depth, this still does fully offer very decent- good bench and rotation depth options that are cost controlled. :wink:

The 25' draft ironically is loaded with high end talent and potential star level players too.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,266

Post#847 » by Calvin Klein » Sun May 12, 2024 6:04 pm

TeamTragic wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Not your finest work. I'd rather keep Beal than trade him for those bums

Agreed plus not interested in helping the Lakers.

you're not helping the lakers here.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#848 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 6:15 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

For sure I understand your views here and I vehemently hate the Flakers as I'm sure that you're all aware too. But even though I do somewhat like Beal, I'm just not sure how much I would consider it helping them with Beals' contract situation and no trade clause.

I realize that the value of the players coming back is limited, but my thinking on this exchange is more simply to accomplish getting off of Beal's contract and no trade clause and turning him into more legitimate positional depth at various positions that'd be better and offer more production and value than whatever we expect to find in vet minimum ranges. And the 17th pick would be a good piece to add to our 22nd pick too.

17- Missi. ( A bigger, quicker more athletic Capela)
22- Dunn. ( A generational lockdown defensive mix of Thybulle and Herb Jones).

Paul or Lowry/ Booker/ KD/ Wood/ Nurkic.
Russell/ Allen/ O'neal/ Muscala/ Missi.
Vincent/ D Lee/ Dunn/ Bol/ Bidatze.

Russell can add production off the bench as a 6th man microwave scorer with some playmaking. KD would get to move to the 3 with Wood adding more size and mobility at the 4, Missi and Dunn are both ELITE very athletic very mobile lockdown defenders at their positions and also add size and athleticism. Vincent would be a very solid 3rd guard playmaking option, Muscala as a floor spacing big, and Bidatze as a slightly more mobile and athletic version of Nurkic.

And we could still look to move KD in trade as needed, or any of our newly acquired depth pieces for other depth pieces if we choose. :wink:
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,320

Post#849 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 12, 2024 6:24 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

You're insane. That's a fantastic deal that the Lakers would never do as they're planning on trying to get Trae Young, Jimmy Butler or someone similar this offseason.

If they were ever think about doing it, Ishbia needs to fly 1 of his PJs over to Jeanie Buss and close the deal right then and there.....and even offer to let her keep the plane if she agrees.
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 504

Post#850 » by JDJ26 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:34 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
JDJ26 wrote:There is only one player the Suns can trade Beal for this offseason. :wink:

Spoiler:

LOL! Good one! :lol:
Seriously though, as much as the idea may make people nauseous, IF people can look at things with an open mind and focus on the bigger picture, Simmons (worst case scenario) represents at least two things:

1- A legitimate mechanism to get out from under Beal's escalating albatross contract and no-trade clause! as he'd be a $40 million expiring contract this next season. So more or less it'd be like hitting the reset button on Beal and his cap-killing salary. And IF KD asks out, and demands a trade, the cap further reduction could end up being exponential in a pivot move to add more legitimate depth and assets while actually getting back under the 2nd apron and opening up other options that we previously lost as a 2nd apron team.

2- A legitimate high-value trade chip for this next season for any team that'll be looking to get significant cap reduction and maybe pivot in other directions utilizing the acquired cap space. Now to be clear here, I'm not claiming Simmons would be considered a high value trade chip because of anything at all on court related because obviously he won't! HOWEVER, considering how severe the new CBA and it's corresponding penalties are/will be, there WILL BE a number of other teams with luxury tax concerns or exorbitant
payrolls and that are stuck at least somewhat, AND WOULD look at Soimmons 40 million expiring as a means of resetting things and creating cap flexibility for roster changes, etc.

Under those conditions, We could swap Simmons expiring for a number of players those teams might be looking to offload and use them as depth options for our bench! Alternatively, there are also teams that realize (as constructed) they just aren't legitimate contenders! And now, they're looking to offload multiyear contracts and bottom out for the loaded 25' lottery!!! Again, we can logically swap Simmons expiring salary for some of those players that they are looking to offload??

Now I'm not gonna say that I personally think Brooklyn and Simmons is the only option in a trade for Beal, but definitely one possibility to consider. I think there could be legit interest from any of The Flakers,Warriors, Heat, Nets, Pistons, Jazz, Maybe the rockets?? :D

** Only problem is again the "no trade clause" limiting those options he'd approve to maybe The Flakers, Warriors, Heat, Nets, and maybe the Jazz??? :dontknow:

I was thinking Ishbia finds the best medical staff and psychologists money can buy and Simmons may return to this form and play PG for next season:

MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,265

Post#851 » by MrMiyagi » Sun May 12, 2024 7:42 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

You're insane. That's a fantastic deal that the Lakers would never do as they're planning on trying to get Trae Young, Jimmy Butler or someone similar this offseason.

If they were ever think about doing it, Ishbia needs to fly 1 of his PJs over to Jeanie Buss and close the deal right then and there.....and even offer to let her keep the plane if she agrees.

We're trading one bone-head for 3 bone-heads and a 1-hit wonder. No thanks.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#852 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 8:50 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Not your finest work. I'd rather keep Beal than trade him for those bums

We're trading one bone-head for 3 bone-heads and a 1-hit wonder. No thanks.

But those same boneheads on much smaller deals and with none of them having a "no trade clause" would obviously be much easier to trade, wouldn't they? And the "one-hit" wonder is also an expiring next season that could be flipped elsewhere possibly too. :wink:
It's more about the idea of breaking up Beals' enormous cap-crippling contract into smaller more manageable and legitimately tradable players without any "no trade clause" attached. I'd have to believe there's value in that even aside from the possibility of them adding better depth and production than whatever we might find in the vet min cast-off pool? :nod:
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#853 » by TeamTragic » Sun May 12, 2024 8:52 pm

Nets helped the Rockets get the #3 pick :lol:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#854 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 9:00 pm

JDJ26 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
JDJ26 wrote:There is only one player the Suns can trade Beal for this offseason. :wink:

Spoiler:

LOL! Good one! :lol:
Seriously though, as much as the idea may make people nauseous, IF people can look at things with an open mind and focus on the bigger picture, Simmons (worst case scenario) represents at least two things:

1- A legitimate mechanism to get out from under Beal's escalating albatross contract and no-trade clause! as he'd be a $40 million expiring contract this next season. So more or less it'd be like hitting the reset button on Beal and his cap-killing salary. And IF KD asks out, and demands a trade, the cap further reduction could end up being exponential in a pivot move to add more legitimate depth and assets while actually getting back under the 2nd apron and opening up other options that we previously lost as a 2nd apron team.

2- A legitimate high-value trade chip for this next season for any team that'll be looking to get significant cap reduction and maybe pivot in other directions utilizing the acquired cap space. Now to be clear here, I'm not claiming Simmons would be considered a high value trade chip because of anything at all on court related because obviously he won't! HOWEVER, considering how severe the new CBA and it's corresponding penalties are/will be, there WILL BE a number of other teams with luxury tax concerns or exorbitant
payrolls and that are stuck at least somewhat, AND WOULD look at Soimmons 40 million expiring as a means of resetting things and creating cap flexibility for roster changes, etc.

Under those conditions, We could swap Simmons expiring for a number of players those teams might be looking to offload and use them as depth options for our bench! Alternatively, there are also teams that realize (as constructed) they just aren't legitimate contenders! And now, they're looking to offload multiyear contracts and bottom out for the loaded 25' lottery!!! Again, we can logically swap Simmons expiring salary for some of those players that they are looking to offload??

Now I'm not gonna say that I personally think Brooklyn and Simmons is the only option in a trade for Beal, but definitely one possibility to consider. I think there could be legit interest from any of The Flakers,Warriors, Heat, Nets, Pistons, Jazz, Maybe the rockets?? :D

** Only problem is again the "no trade clause" limiting those options he'd approve to maybe The Flakers, Warriors, Heat, Nets, and maybe the Jazz??? :dontknow:

I was thinking Ishbia finds the best medical staff and psychologists money can buy and Simmons may return to this form and play PG for next season:

For sure that be a very positive outlook, and could be an incredible bonus given our needs for ballhandling, more size, more switchable/ multipositional defense, passing. Which is why I originally said "in a worst case scenario" context. But have along with desertfox premised possibly using him in a very similar role to Draymond Greens' wherein he understands that he won't be relied upon offensively but rather he'll just play a very simplified role as a jumbo ball handler/ playmaker and multipositional defender at the small forward focusing on his strengths as a 6'11 ballhandler/ elite defender with size, and a playmaker at the 3 alongside of Nurkic. And defensively, he can just roam the passing lanes, operate as a weakside shotblocker and perimeter wing stopper.

And in doing this and playing to his core strengths and without the pressure he had before, I think there's a solid chance of value reclamation to some degree. So that could be another consideration aside from just flipping him to a tax team for other pieces? :D
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 504

Post#855 » by JDJ26 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:03 pm

TeamTragic wrote:Nets helped the Rockets get the #3 pick :lol:

I just hope the Suns don't help the Nets get Cooper Flagg next year :(
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#856 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

Yeah! The reason that I shared this idea is based from somewhere in between both of your salient points. As Miyagi indicated, the Flakers players are not seen as high-value or very desirable assets, and in comparison to Beal, for the Flakers, this could be their best and most realistic chance at actually getting a big-name semi-star level talent for when James retires. As currently, there poo poo platter of players and very few low-tier assets just won't return higher value options regardless of who they covet. Under these conditions, this trade becomes much more reasonable and realistic for us!

Now with respect to Slims' point, Absolutely, the Flakers would prefer to use their players and a pick for names like Young or Butler, However, the reality is that they just don't have the assets to swing a deal for either of those names as the Hawks would be looking for multiple 1sts (2-3) in return for Young because they lack any high-value centerpiece in any exchange for Young. And Miami is coveting KD, and because they also have no picks, no cap space, and would be receiving no centerpiece option, no cap relief, no high-value draft picks, then this trade premise of Beal while not the most desirable becomes the most realistic option remaining for a somewhat big name fringe superstar talent. ** Also, Miami isn't looking for more mediocre pieces, they'll want a bigger name in any exchange for Butler! So it's in that context that again, Although LA may prefer a higher-tier star option, they just don't have the players and assets to pull that kind of value. But Beal at a lower value would still be a viable option once reality sets in.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#857 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 9:40 pm

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/los_angeles_lakers_rumors_nba_analyst_floats_la_coach_as_potential_mike_budenholzer_target/s1_17382_40353226

Los Angeles Lakers Rumors: NBA analyst floats LA coach as potential Mike Budenholzer target
Originally posted on Hardwood Heroics | By Rex Villas | Last updated 5/12/24

DeMarre Carroll, remember him? Currently an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Lakers, Carroll is someone who has continued to be around and in the NBA after his playing days are over. Carroll is also a figure who could be on the move soon. With his former boss, Mike Budenholzer, now set to coach the Phoenix Suns beginning in the 2024-25 NBA season, Carroll is a name to watch out for, if you ask Shane Young of Forbes Sports.

“For Mike Budenholzer’s staff, one name I’d keep an eye out for is DeMarre Carroll. Depending on whether the Lakers’ next coach wants to retain him, I think he’d be someone Budenholzer would like to add. Carroll had a role in player development for the 2022-23 Bucks.”

https://youtu.be/JqtHc3nkqik

Los Angeles Lakers Assistant to Move to Phoenix Soon?
Of course, Young is merely speculating, but Carroll’s connection with Budenholzer is noteworthy. Not only did he work as part of Budenholzer’s coaching staff with the Milwaukee Bucks back in the 2022-23 NBA season, but Carroll also played for Bud during his time with the Atlanta Hawks.

Carroll spent two seasons with the Hawks from 2013 to 2015 and averaged 11.8 points with 5.4 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.4 steals through 143 games in Atlanta threads. While not a star player, he was a solid role player for the Hawks and even finished tied for 15th in the 2014-15 Defensive Player of the Year voting.

Carroll’s familiarity could make things easier for Budenholzer in establishing a culture in Phoenix. For now, though, Carroll is still with the Lakers, awaiting his fate with the team as LA continues its head coaching search.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#858 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 pm

TeamTragic wrote:https://hoopshype.com/lists/pelicans-rumors-zion-williamson-brandon-ingram-cj-mccollum-trades-free-agency/

Per Scotto Val and Ingram are being made available by the Pelicans.

KD to the Pelicans for Ingram/ Nance Jr/ 24' LAL pick (#17)/ 24' MIL 1st (#21)/ 27' MIL 1st (No protections)??
Ingram is not nearly as great as KD yet, but is similar and still very good!BUT because of that fact, Then we'd have to also get back the 17th pick from New Orleans as well. And then with both of those picks and our 22nd, We'd also be getting younger and maybe extending our competitive window with a younger big three. Then in the draft we'd look to pick these names:

17- Missi. A super athletic, bigger, quicker, longer version of Capela as our backup center option.
21- Kolek. A super high IQ, Steve Nash-type floor general that can lead our bench!
22- Dunn. a 6'8 explosively athletic lockdown defensive mix of Herb Jones and Matisse Thybulle. That can be a 1st team all-defensive lockdown jumbo wing compliment to Beal, Booker, and Ingram. Lastly, draft Zyon Pullin from the undrafted ranges as a 6'4 athletic floor general in the mold of Malcolm Brogdon as our backup guard!
(That's 3 ELITE prospects- With two ELITE lockdown defenders at critical positions of need, AND 1 ELITE playmaking floor general to help lead our bench.

Beal/Booker/Nance/ Ingram/Nurkic.
Paul or Lowry/ Allen/ O'neale/ Muscala/ Missi.
Kolek/ D Lee/ Dunn/ Bol/ Bidatze.

Undrafted range (two-ways) ** FOR G-LEAGUE DEVELOPMENT,
- Nique' Clifford. Nique Clifford is more or less a very efficient, versatile, "do it all" high IQ wing that is incredibly similar to a young Mikal Bridges.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nique-clifford-1.html

- Blake Hinson. 6'7-6'8 Elite 3 Pt sniper wing/forward in the mold of a Dell Curry.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/blake-hinson-1.html

- Drew Pember. A very polished and extremely versatile 6'11 "do it all" wing/forward (3/4/small ball 5) in the mold of an Austin Reeves. Can dribble/handle, pass, shoot, defend multiple positions, block shots, etc.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/drew-pember-1.html
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 860

Post#859 » by tester551 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

Disagree.

I think this would be a phenomenal trade. It would also provide contracts that are 'moveable' in trades moving forward
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,781

Post#860 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:00 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal to the Flakers

Flakers-

Phoenix-

I'd probably do it.

Not the biggest DLo fan but he could be a better fit next to Book than Beal. I think he's a better passer and probably a more willing spot up shooter. He's got more size, he's younger and generally healthier. I also like Hachimura and Vincent is fine. Not big on Christian Wood but I'd take the 17th pick for that.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns