ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,322

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#881 » by Frank Lee » Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 pm

Attaboy Sabes. Keep trying. Eventually you will see the light(dark). The sooner you grasp the severe limitations Pishbea cultivated for this off season and the future in general, well then, you can tailor make your optimism to match reality.

Its healthier.

I really dont see a pathway that does not get worse before better. The question is how long Pishbea and co will drag this out.
What ? Me Worry ?
sunsfan1o1
Pro Prospect
And1: 767

Post#882 » by sunsfan1o1 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:16 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
sunsfan1o1 wrote:Murray had better handle, better in the paint, more heart, better passing equal defense.
Only difference BOoker gets treated like a #1 and Nurray doesn’t.

That's because Murray has some European guy who happens to be 3x MVP as their #1

......and drawing all of the defense attention. Oh, and he manages to find Murray on a number of these shots additionally.

If Jamal was on the suns he’d be averaging 27 or more and getting swept in the first round.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,205

Post#883 » by sunsbg » Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Suns pay for Booker the same Nuggets pay for Jokic. Oh another two guys too.

It just means Jokic is underpaid. True superstars are generally underpaid

Poor guy.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,471

Post#884 » by sunskerr » Mon May 13, 2024 3:46 pm

You see how the nets pick landed at 3 but is in the hands of the rockets since it's unprotected? That was a sneak preview of our future.

We're gonna go through that multiple times over the next decade...except the draft classes will be better than this years.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,188

Post#885 » by garrick » Mon May 13, 2024 4:19 pm

Saberestar wrote:TJ McConnell played yesterday another great game. He again looks like the perfect addition as a PG who can be a realistic target and fits our age group.

We tried to get him last summer so we know that James Jones is interested in him for real, the value was too high at that moment but that could change a year later.

He will be on an expiring contract for $9.3M. He is 32 years old.

The Pacers are having a successful season and they probably would love to retain him BUT they have Haliburton and Nembhard as a long-term PGs.

How can we match his salary? What trade package can be fair to get him?

Therein lies the problem.

We can no longer combine players due to being over the 2nd apron, there are plenty of players who would be nice to have but team building is going to be next to impossible which is why the draft is really the only solution for teams like us who are way over the 2nd apron.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,759

Post#886 » by Revived » Mon May 13, 2024 4:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Revived
RealGM

Post#887 » by Revived » Mon May 13, 2024 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

I get it that KD is a phenomenal talent and all but man it’s kind of sad how the Suns traded away a player, Mikal Bridges, who was genuinely always happy and extremely well liked by everyone for a guy that’s always miserable and extremely unlikable (maybe most unlikable superstar in all of sports history?) guy in KD.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,046

Post#888 » by TeamTragic » Mon May 13, 2024 5:04 pm

Maybe KD is just never going to be happy and everyone needs to accept that going forward.

If he wants to be traded (again) then Matt should accomodate him and KD needs to make that known.
Sunlight
Bench Warmer
And1: 667

Post#889 » by Sunlight » Mon May 13, 2024 5:15 pm

Ayton was unhappy, now KD is also unhappy. Where's the problem? The team changed, the coaches changed, the owner changed, etc. Everything else has changed except the fake tough guy, who is not even respected by the officials.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,817

Post#890 » by BobbieL » Mon May 13, 2024 5:24 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

I get it that KD is a phenomenal talent and all but man it’s kind of sad how the Suns traded away a player, Mikal Bridges, who was genuinely always happy and extremely well liked by everyone for a guy that’s always miserable and extremely unlikable (maybe most unlikable superstar in all of sports history?) guy in KD.

I never wanted the trade for durant in that form - - too many draft picks and above all else, never should have included Bridges
So if Durant wants to be traded - find a trade partner and move him
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#891 » by Calvin Klein » Mon May 13, 2024 5:43 pm

;pp=ygUZaGF0ZSB0byBzYXkgaSB0b2xkIHlvdSBzbw%3D%3D
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,205

Post#892 » by sunsbg » Mon May 13, 2024 5:51 pm

Still expecting Durant to be on the roster on season opener, but if this loser really wants out, better trade him now and pretend he's never been a part of this franchise.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#893 » by Calvin Klein » Mon May 13, 2024 5:53 pm

Saberestar wrote:TJ McConnell played yesterday another great game. He again looks like the perfect addition as a PG who can be a realistic target and fits our age group.

We tried to get him last summer so we know that James Jones is interested in him for real, the value was too high at that moment but that could change a year later.

The Pacers are having a successful season and they probably would love to retain him BUT they have Haliburton and Nembhard as a long-term PGs.

Nope. See...this is what we have been saying all along.

It's taking a while...but you'll soon realize what happened.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,046

Post#894 » by TeamTragic » Mon May 13, 2024 6:21 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:

Nope. See...this is what we have been saying all along.

It's taking a while...but you'll soon realize what happened.

What happened CK?
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#895 » by ChuckS » Mon May 13, 2024 6:30 pm

Sa'di wrote: I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no feet.

I'll admit to being an outsider and "dinosaur" who might not understand today's reality. I've followed the game since slightly before the inception of the NBA. I realize, also, that this might speak more to my current mental acuity than any understanding of the sport. In any event I've always seen teams "blown up" in order to, one way or the other, acquire superstars, not replace them with pretty good relative mediocrities. So the sense of hopelessness with this team, by some, is admittedly alien to me, although I'm not faulting the hope that alternatively a possible trade could speed up team balance.

I believe, however, that might not necessarily have to be a first option, in spite of the difficulty because of the new CBA. It seems not unlikely for a team investing such capital to be somewhat unbalanced in the first year. I thought management did a good job attempting to address this by getting Allen and even Gordan. But the TWolves series revealed a dire need for size, and probably, ultimately, a true point guard. Because of the exceptionalism of the players already on hand, though I, perhaps naively, believe this can be done in free agency. It would seem that the talent already on board would be an attraction.

If it does come to needing to trade one of the stars, however, the number of those proposing that be Durant or Nurkic (whose rebounding and toughness I think are impressive) , particularly for draft picks, seems counter intuitive to me. They are the only playable size, other than Eubanks and Bol on the team. I realize, however, that the remaining trade options are less than encouraging.

So, in summary, I definitely would not blow up a team with such talent that I think is already very good, and would look first to free agency or lesser trades, before trading any of the superstars to become more competitive with the few extremely elite teams.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,907

Post#896 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 13, 2024 6:38 pm

The problem is unless we're giving up someone like Allen for him OR maybe resign O'neale at a little over 12-13 million and trade him to the pacers for McConnell IF they'd even have interest in either of those two players in a trade! Otherwise man, we just don't have the salaries to get things done.

However, it does blow my mind how the front office has pursued McConnell for so long with Jones having interest in him, low key knowing that they just can't get him, when all the while you obviously have a much cheaper and younger identical archetype to McConnell in Tyler Kolek that can do everything McConnell can do AND can maybe pass better as a bonus. How can they be blind to this? So you just can't get McConnell, but have his exact clone in Kolek easily in our range of #22. Why seek to struggle in such futility when the solution is basically falling in your lap!

What would be funny and pretty sad at the same time would be if the Suns decided to trade BOTH the 22nd pick and the 2031 1st for McConnell who is older, and expiring and could just as easily leave the following summer. :banghead:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,758

Post#897 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:49 pm

If they are determined to keep things together with the stars, one good trade, at least for us, could be Beal for Towns. Another injured guy but a better fit, at least for us. Then trade Nurkic for whatever.

Although I hate trading picks, it seems like it's Pissbea's thing, so we could throw in the 24 and 31 picks (if we can trade picks with Beal).

Towns injured every year too so he fits right in.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,266

Post#898 » by MrMiyagi » Mon May 13, 2024 6:55 pm

I remember bringing up how much the KD and Beal trades **** us in terms of our ability to make roster moves and everyone was just like "lol, it's not your money, why care?" This is why. We've got what we've got. Ishbia's first season was a big ol' turd, and he's prarie dogging already.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,817

Post#899 » by BobbieL » Mon May 13, 2024 7:04 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:I remember bringing up how much the KD and Beal trades **** us in terms of our ability to make roster moves and everyone was just like "lol, it's not your money, why care?" This is why. We've got what we've got. Ishbia's first season was a big ol' turd, and he's prarie dogging already.

It wasn't the money for Durant - it was the trade itself. 4 FRPs and Bridges was too stupid

Crowder got the Nets 5 second round picks
The trade should have been Crowder to the Bucks for 5 seconds plus the cap filler
And ship those picks and cap filler, plus Cam Johnson, Saric, and whatever else with TWO FRPs for Durant. Period!
Revived
RealGM

Post#900 » by Revived » Mon May 13, 2024 7:07 pm

sunsbg wrote:Still expecting Durant to be on the roster on season opener, but if this loser really wants out, better trade him now and pretend he's never been a part of this franchise.

Yeah should be easy to pretend that with zero control over our draft picks till 2031 thanks to him.

Return to Phoenix Suns