ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Re: Booker Discussion, news and highlights 

Post#1201 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:07 am

cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty stupid. All of those happened in the 70 pt game.

A good example of a bad use of stats
But it is an accurate use of stats.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Accurate doesn't mean it's useful

Book is the first player in NBA history who's mother is a cosmetologist and played 1's against Danilo Gallinari at 12 years old to score 40, 50, 60 and 70pts while being born in the month of October and wearing the #1.

That is all factual and accurate but chucking a bunch of stats and facts together doesn't mean it's actually useful.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1202 » by cberry78 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:11 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:A good example of a bad use of stats
But it is an accurate use of stats.

Book is the first player in NBA history who's mother is a cosmetologist and played 1's against Danilo Gallinari at 12 years old to score 40, 50, 60 and 70pts while being born in the month of October and wearing the #1.

That is all factual and accurate but chucking a bunch of stats and facts together doesn't mean it's actually useful.
I wasn't aware that stats had to be useful, especially during the dog days of the NBA off-season? Lol

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#1203 » by matt131 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:37 pm

cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:But it is an accurate use of stats.

I wasn't aware that stats had to be useful, especially during the dog days of the NBA off-season? Lol

Lol I think we are all forgetting that Xin is just a giant troll on Twitter. He does stuff for laughs.

Also, the original tweet that was talking about the youngest players to score a certain amount of points did fail to put who the youngest to score 70 was, which, in a tweet about that kind of stuff, seems to be fairly important.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,726

Post#1204 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:19 pm

The Xin tweet on Booker was really just a satirical distraction from the oversaturation of all these fruitless Durant hypotheses. Just a different topic of discussion for a mild distraction. :wink: :tooth
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Post#1205 » by Saberestar » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:21 am

2022-23 First three games (2W-1L)

32 points, 5.3 assists and 3.3 boards per game shooting .531 , .529 on threes and .950 in FTs.

He is playing close to 40 mpg and never looks tired, his motor on both sides is crazy high so far this season.

I think he will be in the MVP race since the first month of the season and it will be well deserved.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1206 » by Saberestar » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:26 pm

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,125

Post#1207 » by sunsbg » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:01 pm

Saberestar wrote:2022-23 First three games (2W-1L)

32 points, 5.3 assists and 3.3 boards per game shooting .531 , .529 on threes and .950 in FTs.

He is playing close to 40 mpg and never looks tired, his motor on both sides is crazy high so far this season.

I think he will be in the MVP race since the first month of the season and it will be well deserved.

Doesn't matter until he hits a Gm7 winner in Luka's face. :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#1208 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:35 pm

Guards will be brutal for All NBA. All of Luka, Ja, Lillard and Curry avg more points.

Steph with .500, 444 and 1.00
Ja with .542, .571, .844

Luka not very good from 3. Lillard pretty good from 3, but 11 attempts per game...Steph 12 attempts per game.

Luka 8 reb, Lillard and Curry 5.3. Ja only 3.

Steph 1.7 steals per game, Luka 1.5...the other 3 .7.

I think it's likely at least 2 of those teams end up with better records than the Suns as well, possibly 3, and Portland would be the one that didn't even though they are the undefeated team now...but who knows how good they could be. Seems like they used to always end up way better than I expected and Simons could take a major step this year, so if Grant and Nurkic stay healthy and Josh Hart does his thing, that's a pretty solid starting lineup.

They have a weak bench though and may be dependent on if and how much Shaedon Sharpe and Nassir Little improve. They have those 2 and Simons still as young developing players. Winslow always seems up and down, though usually down.

It will be interesting to see if Book can keep up high %s this year. Last year his 3pt % started out really strong but faded (even though I think it still ended up his best ever) but his TS% dropped quite a bit from 2 years ago.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1209 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:06 pm

I can't see Book in the running for MVP. He just doesn't do enough for his team and that's not a knock on him, it's just the team we've put together and the style we play. Luka is an easy favourite just because he puts up the numbers, is flashy and has a massive hand in everything the Mavs does. I also think after the playoffs last season, there's a bit of a stain on Book's reputation while the opposite can be said about Luka
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1210 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:24 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I can't see Book in the running for MVP. He just doesn't do enough for his team and that's not a knock on him, it's just the team we've put together and the style we play. Luka is an easy favourite just because he puts up the numbers, is flashy and has a massive hand in everything the Mavs does. I also think after the playoffs last season, there's a bit of a stain on Book's reputation while the opposite can be said about Luka

Do you think if the Blazers surprisingly finished with a top 4 seed, Lillard would have a chance?
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#1211 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:31 am

Booker looks better this season and he finished 4th last season.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1212 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:36 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Booker looks better this season and he finished 4th last season.

I think there is a good chance he will be too but I think he was 4th in large part because we had the best record in the NBA, and it also obviously helped that Paul got injured and was out for awhile because he was ranked 4th in the MVP race and Booker around 9th until he got injured and Booker slowly moved up.

If we can finish with a top 2-3 seed he can be very high again though for the same reasons if he's better especially because Paul obviously won't be in the running at all. But there are also more players that are back for full seasons that will be competing for it to some degree (Kawhi, Lillard, KD and to a lesser extent George and Kyrie). Steph missed a lot of time last year too which took him out of the running.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1213 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:25 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I can't see Book in the running for MVP. He just doesn't do enough for his team and that's not a knock on him, it's just the team we've put together and the style we play. Luka is an easy favourite just because he puts up the numbers, is flashy and has a massive hand in everything the Mavs does. I also think after the playoffs last season, there's a bit of a stain on Book's reputation while the opposite can be said about Luka

Do you think if the Blazers surprisingly finished with a top 4 seed, Lillard would have a chance?

He could but it'll be a stretch. All of the awards have a large component of narrative driven votes. With most punters not seeing the Blazers as a contender, if Dame is able to take his team into a home court position, at least in the first round of the playoffs, I think that could be huge for his narrative.

Ultimately, it usually is a 2 dog race. In rare situations it's 3 but unless you're firmly in the #1 or #2 spot at the end of the regular season, it's hard to win it. I think he has to beat out guys like Ja, Luka, Giannis, Jokic and Embiid.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1214 » by Saberestar » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:48 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Guards will be brutal for All NBA. All of Luka, Ja, Lillard and Curry avg more points.

Ja with .542, .571, .844

Luka not very good from 3. Lillard pretty good from 3, but 11 attempts per game...Steph 12 attempts per game.

I think it's likely at least 2 of those teams end up with better records than the Suns as well, possibly 3, and Portland would be the one that didn't even though they are the undefeated team now...but who knows how good they could be. Seems like they used to always end up way better than I expected and Simons could take a major step this year, so if Grant and Nurkic stay healthy and Josh Hart does his thing, that's a pretty solid starting lineup.

They have a weak bench though and may be dependent on if and how much Shaedon Sharpe and Nassir Little improve. They have those 2 and Simons still as young developing players. Winslow always seems up and down, though usually down.

It will be interesting to see if Book can keep up high %s this year. Last year his 3pt % started out really strong but faded (even though I think it still ended up his best ever) but his TS% dropped quite a bit from 2 years ago.

Yeah, there is a lot of competition but Book is there in that selected group.

It's a long season, it's gonna be an interesting individual race.
dmastro32
Rookie
And1: 503

Post#1215 » by dmastro32 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:50 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Ja with .542, .571, .844

The crazy part is Booker is the only one that is considered mostly a SG as the rest play majority of time at PG. to me really shows the drop off in true SG over the last 5 or 6 years.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1216 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:20 am

dmastro32 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Ja with .542, .571, .844

The crazy part is Booker is the only one that is considered mostly a SG as the rest play majority of time at PG. to me really shows the drop off in true SG over the last 5 or 6 years.

A lot of PGs really play more of a SG type of role, and SGs are a lot of the stars and primary ball handlers. Kyrie is really a PG but he is more or less playing SG this season too with Simmons running point. Then you have Harden playing PG, but what does that make Maxey, a SG I guess if you want to go strictly by traditional positions. Mitchell/Garland and Trae/Murray both basically are combo guards.

Jamal Murray plays more of a SG since Jokic basically runs the point as a C.

JeVon Carter is a PG, but really he is playing more of a SG while Giannis plays point a lot as does Jrue, who plays a lot of SG himself.

I think traditional positions are really outdated.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1217 » by Saberestar » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:35 am

Monty Williams said Devin Booker is probably the most complete player in the league right now.

Read on Twitter

Devin Booker has the highest plus-minus this season, at +63.

Read on Twitter
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,289

Post#1218 » by Frank Lee » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:16 am

Book has a better chance at the scoring title
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1219 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:34 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Monty Williams said Devin Booker is probably the most complete player in the league right now.

Read on Twitter

Devin Booker has the highest plus-minus this season, at +63.

Read on Twitter

Seems like he said similar stuff up there. He's definitely up there now. A lot of guys up there though....but for his age he may be outside of maybe Luka.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#1220 » by Qwigglez » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:57 pm

I did not realize Luka was actually shooting well this season. 50% from the field and 87% from the line while averaging 35 points per game. Booker needs to up his rebounds if he wants to be in the top 3 MVP class this season. Also, Suns will have to finish top 3.

Return to Phoenix Suns