ImageImageImage

Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Re: Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights. 

Post#21 » by sunsbum » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:42 pm

Been really impressed by Okogie from what I've seen. If Josh can keep up his play, even just at what hes been doing the last 10 or so games, huge find for James Jones. Between Lee, Okogie and Landale I'd give JJ a B+ for offseason FA bench signings. All young talent too!
Edit: I guess I thought DLee was in his mid 20s :-?
I hate this team.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#22 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 pm

NapoleonII wrote:Shooting from 3 at a serviceable overall clip of....37.5% over his last 7 games (since he's gotten 20+ minutes).

It was definitely helped by a game where he went 4/6, but if we can keep this up or even improve.....this is a major find.

A super athletic 3 n D player, who can finish and block shots?

He's a poor man's mix of Gerald Wallace and James Posey, which as the 7th or 8th player in the rotation, will be a valuable piece in the playoffs.
Yeah it's a pretty simple equation with Josh, if he can hit 3s at about 35% or better he's absolutely a NBA rotation guy. His D and effort level are legit. It's when the opponent doesn't even have to guard him that he gets hard to keep out there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#23 » by sunskerr » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:56 am

Dude has a +7.2 DRAPTOR in ~250 minutes lmao. If you're not familiar with raptor that is absolutely insane.

It will come down of course but I am very pleased. I think all of us clamoring for a cheap defensive hustle guy feel pretty vindicated. I think I must have made a billion posts on the subject going into the playoffs and during it.

Hope he can keep it up. We really need the extra bodies. Very eager to see what happens with Crowder.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,289

Post#24 » by Frank Lee » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:03 pm

He keeps this level of play up, we’ll regret Jones signing him for only one yr. He’s an UFA. Hes turning into a bargain

Was there some restrictive rule that permits only one yr deals?

Would have to imagine a deal similar to Craig or CPayne is in store
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,621

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:25 pm

Frank Lee wrote:He keeps this level of play up, we’ll regret Jones signing him for only one yr. He’s an UFA. Hes turning into a[streamable][/streamable] bargain

I think we can keep him for cheap. He has a pretty big body of work and I don't think his #s will look good to other teams at the end of the season. But his defense an offensive rebounding (if he can keep doing what he did last night, will help).

His #s are similar to previous years, and he got the minimum. He is actually shooting worse than ever from 3, at 25%, so I don't see a team offering more than the minimum, or at least much more.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#26 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:He keeps this level of play up, we’ll regret Jones signing him for only one yr. He’s an UFA. Hes turning into a[streamable][/streamable] bargain

I think we can keep him for cheap. He has a pretty big body of work and I don't think his #s will look good to other teams at the end of the season. But his defense an offensive rebounding (if he can keep doing what he did last night, will help).

His #s are similar to previous years, and he got the minimum. He is actually shooting worse than ever from 3, at 25%, so I don't see a team offering more than the minimum, or at least much more.

Yeah I've been a fan of his for a while now and his strengths (hustle, defense, rebounding) isn't at all surprising. It's his inconsistent and poor shooting that's always been the thing that's kept him from big minutes. He'll have to prove he can be consistent with his 3's to get a deal that would make it impossible for us to match.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,941

Post#27 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:47 pm

He reminds me of Tony Allen.

Similar style of play and skill-set. Okogie needs to keep improving to be as good as Tony Allen was in his prime years.

I was looking and comparing their draft combine measurements and they are basically the same player.

Okogie is 6'3 with a 7 feet wingspan.
8'6 standing reach.

Tony Allen is 6'3.5" with a 6'9 wingspan.
8'6 standing reach.

Both have the same frame weighing around 215 lbs.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#28 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:58 am

Okogie is only 6'3? I thought the guy was like 6'5-6'6
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#29 » by Saberestar » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:34 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Okogie is only 6'3? I thought the guy was like 6'5-6'6

Yeah, he plays bigger than his size.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#30 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:38 am

Saberestar wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Okogie is only 6'3? I thought the guy was like 6'5-6'6

Yeah, he plays bigger than his size.

He's also a tank with long arms and ultra athletic so he doesn't really look small when he plays defense. Except when he defends Zion but Zion makes large humans like JV look small too
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#31 » by Saberestar » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:53 am

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#32 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:54 pm

Love that Okogie is making the most out of the extended minutes he's getting. Real stat sheet filler
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 6,001

Post#33 » by kennydorglas » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 am

kennydorglas wrote:Finally a guy with crazy athleticism on this team.
We need to fill the roster with those guys and hope someone pans out like gpII

Sent from my Redmi 7A using RealGM mobile app

:D :D :D :D :D
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#34 » by Saberestar » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:32 am

Ok, we need to talk about him.

Since the KD's trade he has embraced a much bigger role as an starting SF and he is playing terrific ball on both sides.

Small sample size, just three games, but he has scored very well on all of them. 25, 17 and 19.

He is averaging 20.3 points, 5.3 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals per game and shooting 60%( 9/15 ) from three on a high volume.

His 7 feet wingspan make him to bother shooters and he has nose for rebounds.

We will see. I don't expect him to score so many points per game, it would be nice jut to get 10/12 with solid percentages out of him.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#35 » by sunsbg » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:13 am

At some point in their rookie season I was wondering if there is big difference between him and Mikal being that Josh is a year younger. Obviously they are different levels, but this season both appear to have done a significant jump in their play.

This was his most impressive play back then :

He was also a participant in rookie all star game:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:06 pm

This is old but I came across it today and it's ridiculous so had to post.

Read on Twitter
?t=LBZO6im1oqtzNr_o6Qg-Mg&s=19

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#37 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:32 pm

Saberestar wrote:Ok, we need to talk about him.

Since the KD's trade he has embraced a much bigger role as an starting SF and he is playing terrific ball on both sides.

Small sample size, just three games, but he has scored very well on all of them. 25, 17 and 19.

He is averaging 20.3 points, 5.3 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals per game and shooting 60%( 9/15 ) from three on a high volume.

His 7 feet wingspan make him to bother shooters and he has nose for rebounds.

We will see. I don't expect him to score so many points per game, it would be nice jut to get 10/12 with solid percentages out of him.

I'm curious to know if his 3PT shooting will hold up. There's an argument those 3's will be even more wide open with KD but I'll just have to wait and see.

On top of the great stats and averaging real starter minutes (36mpg), I think what's also really impressive is how well he's taken are of the ball. Over the 3 games, he had zero TO's in the first two and 2 in the last game against the Kings (in almost 40min of play).
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#38 » by Qwigglez » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:56 pm

Yeah I just looked at Okogie's stats the last 3 games. He's been playing great. He also played 32 minutes, 35 minutes, and 39 minutes. And I feel his endurance allowed him to stay effective every game. He'll only get better opportunities to score when Durant eventually makes his debut. If he can just keep up that high level of energy though I think it will be a huge boost to the starting five.

Also... a bit of cherry-picking stats here but his first 19 games with the Suns he made 1/17 on 3s (.056%). Since then... he's shooting 39.5% in the last 30 games on 2.5 attempts per game. This includes a 4 game dry streak recently where he shot 0/8 from 3.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,836

Post#39 » by RedIndian » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:33 am

Up to 35% on threes for the season. If he maintains that mark with a volume of 4 attempts a game, he has that 5th starter position nailed on.

If he keeps that up, he's also going to get paid soon.

Looked up his contract status, and I think he's a non-bird FA. We could go over the cap to re-sign him, but only at 120% of his current salary, which is just the vet min. He'll get better than that. I think we'd have to use the TPMLE if we want to keep him.

Could see him getting the full 3 years/20 mil of the TPMLE if he keeps this level of play up.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#40 » by Tha King » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:41 pm

Okogie has always been a 3 pointer away from being a very good role player because the defense has been there. On your team with KD now I think you could have him play a key role even without a three, similar to Bruce Brown with the Nets.

Return to Phoenix Suns