ImageImageImage

Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Re: Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights. 

Post#41 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:07 pm

RedIndian wrote:Up to 35% on threes for the season. If he maintains that mark with a volume of 4 attempts a game, he has that 5th starter position nailed on.

If he keeps that up, he's also going to get paid soon.

Looked up his contract status, and I think he's a non-bird FA. We could go over the cap to re-sign him, but only at 120% of his current salary, which is just the vet min. He'll get better than that. I think we'd have to use the TPMLE if we want to keep him.

Could see him getting the full 3 years/20 mil of the TPMLE if he keeps this level of play up.

Definitely a great guy to keep if he keeps up this level of play. Have you checked game logs over the years to see if he's ever had such a stretch? It's only a few games so it will be interesting to see if he keeps it up. It should only get easier too when KD starts playing.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,100

Post#42 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:01 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RedIndian wrote:Up to 35% on threes for the season. If he maintains that mark with a volume of 4 attempts a game, he has that 5th starter position nailed on.

Looked up his contract status, and I think he's a non-bird FA. We could go over the cap to re-sign him, but only at 120% of his current salary, which is just the vet min. He'll get better than that. I think we'd have to use the TPMLE if we want to keep him.

Could see him getting the full 3 years/20 mil of the TPMLE if he keeps this level of play up.

Definitely a great guy to keep if he keeps up this level of play. Have you checked game logs over the years to see if he's ever had such a stretch? It's only a few games so it will be interesting to see if he keeps it up. It should only get easier too when KD starts playing.

If he kept this up the rest of the year, I wonder if he'd work as CP3's replacement, given that we have Book and Durant as ballhandlers.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#43 » by Blonde » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:45 pm

We need to lock him up long term ASAP
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#44 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:58 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

If he kept this up the rest of the year, I wonder if he'd work as CP3's replacement, given that we have Book and Durant as ballhandlers.

Well if we are thinking post CP3, we would need 2 more starters. KD may not be around much longer than CP3 either, in that case we'd need 3.

But he won't be able to keep it up quite this good. He's averaging over 21 on 52% from the field and 56% from 3 (15-27). He has rarely scored much in the NBA, and never shot well from 3, but in college he averaged 17 ppg and shot over 38% from 3.

But if he kept things up as hot as he is now, he'd almost certainly be worth far more than we could afford to pay. With that kind of shooting and defense, he'd be worth more than Cam Johnson. But certainly would get MLE or more and with so many rebuilding teams in the league with a TON of cap space, with him only being 24, he'd certainly get paid a fairly nice contract, and would have to take it.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,258

Post#45 » by Bogyo » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well if we are thinking post CP3, we would need 2 more starters. KD may not be around much longer than CP3 either, in that case we'd need 3.

But he won't be able to keep it up quite this good. He's averaging over 21 on 52% from the field and 56% from 3 (15-27). He has rarely scored much in the NBA, and never shot well from 3, but in college he averaged 17 ppg and shot over 38% from 3.

But if he kept things up as hot as he is now, he'd almost certainly be worth far more than we could afford to pay. With that kind of shooting and defense, he'd be worth more than Cam Johnson. But certainly would get MLE or more and with so many rebuilding teams in the league with a TON of cap space, with him only being 24, he'd certainly get paid a fairly nice contract, and would have to take it.

He won't keep it up, its just a hot streak - as the early season 1-18 from 3 was a cold streak. His averages are now around where they used to be. The question is if he can up these averages a bit playing with CP, Book, KD setting the table for him, and if he will be on a hot or a cold streak in the playoffs when it matters. It could be maddening and costing us games if he pulls a 1-7 game or such...
# waiting for the next chapter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,940

Post#46 » by Saberestar » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:29 pm

Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

He won't keep it up, its just a hot streak - as the early season 1-18 from 3 was a cold streak. His averages are now around where they used to be. The question is if he can up these averages a bit playing with CP, Book, KD setting the table for him, and if he will be on a hot or a cold streak in the playoffs when it matters. It could be maddening and costing us games if he pulls a 1-7 game or such...

Obviously he will not score 20 ppg for the rest of his career but he just needs to score around 10 points on decent shooting to be really valuable for us.

He has surprised me a lot, I was a fan of the signing but he has surpassed every expectation.

His defense is unreal for this era, he has everything in his pocket. High motor, crazy length, strength, athleticism, heart, technique...the guy knows how to play effective defense.

He doesn't get in foul trouble as much as you could expect from his aggressive defense, it's nice to see it.

I read somewhere that Saunders said about him that he can play even PF because "his effective height is 6'8" and I think it's true.

Mikal is a great defender but Okogie is right there. Okogie's weight and strength make him more versatile than Mikal IMO.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#47 » by Saberestar » Thu Mar 2, 2023 6:29 pm

Josh Okogie is tied for 4th in the NBA in deflections per-36 minutes (min. 50 games played)

Alex Caruso - 5.2
Matisse Thybulle - 4.8
TJ McConnell - 4.1
Josh Okogie - 3.9
De’Anthony Melton - 3.9

MENACE.

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#48 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 10:40 pm

That under the basket block from yesterday's game was

lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#49 » by Saberestar » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:27 pm

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#50 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:07 am

Over the last 10 games, Okogie has been kinda average, very much back down to Earth. First 8 games playing heavy minutes he averaged almost 18/5/1 on 50/47/80 splits while taking 6.3 attempts from 3 and only have one single digit scoring games. Over the last 10 games, he's only been able to muster 9/3/3 on 30/26/77 splits with all but 3 games in single digits.

I think defensively he's still a monster and he's still doing a lot of the good things you want to see from a guy of his profile but from a production standpoint, it's been disappointing especially given we've started to get used to his offensive output.

Bad news is that he's looking like old Okogie.

Good news is we could potentially resign him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#51 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:25 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Over the last 10 games, Okogie has been kinda average, very much back down to Earth. First 8 games playing heavy minutes he averaged almost 18/5/1 on 50/47/80 splits while taking 6.3 attempts from 3 and only have one single digit scoring games. Over the last 10 games, he's only been able to muster 9/3/3 on 30/26/77 splits with all but 3 games in single digits.

I think defensively he's still a monster and he's still doing a lot of the good things you want to see from a guy of his profile but from a production standpoint, it's been disappointing especially given we've started to get used to his offensive output.

Those latter 10 games are more the norm for his career so if that continues, I don't think re-signing him, at least for more than the minimum, would be a good thing to do. I doubt there will be other teams that are interested if he continues those latter #s. Every player has good games here and there but it's their larger more consistent body of work that counts for this stuff.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#52 » by sunsbg » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Over the last 10 games, Okogie has been kinda average, very much back down to Earth. First 8 games playing heavy minutes he averaged almost 18/5/1 on 50/47/80 splits while taking 6.3 attempts from 3 and only have one single digit scoring games. Over the last 10 games, he's only been able to muster 9/3/3 on 30/26/77 splits with all but 3 games in single digits.

Those latter 10 games are more the norm for his career so if that continues, I don't think re-signing him, at least for more than the minimum, would be a good thing to do. I doubt there will be other teams that are interested if he continues those latter #s. Every player has good games here and there but it's their larger more consistent body of work that counts for this stuff.

He's still young though. His intangibles like playing with energy are valuable. It's worth keeping him even if he doesn't shine in the playoffs.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#53 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:57 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Not even for the BAE??

Damion Lee was playing much better than him for the first half of the season but I think Okogie is NOW much more valuable and relevant for our team.

Every roster decision is gonna be made after the playoffs, that's when players will get their new contracts BUT so far Okogie has shown that he deserves a long term deal.

He just needs to improve a bit his overall percentages. Solid ball handler, good passer and rebounder. 9/3/3 with his great defense are good raw numbers for a low usage guy like him.

Just look at Tony Allen's numbers. Players like them don't put nice stats, they do so many good things that don't appear in the stat sheet, intangibles mostly on defense.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,635

Post#54 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:08 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Not even for the BAE??

Damion Lee was playing much better than him for the first half of the season but I think Okogie is NOW much more valuable and relevant for our team.

Every roster decision is gonna be made after the playoffs, that's when players will get their new contracts BUT so far Okogie has shown that he deserves a long term deal.

He just needs to improve a bit his overall percentages. Solid ball handler, good passer and rebounder. 9/3/3 with his great defense are good raw numbers for a low usage guy like him.

Just look at Tony Allen's numbers. Players like them don't put nice stats, they do so many good things that don't appear in the stat sheet, intangibles mostly on defense.

Nicely said. He does kinda remind me of Tony Allen from his Grizzlies days. Didn’t put up good numbers but was an excellent defender that gave Kobe fits. Inn todays league where offense is more valued then defense, we need players like Bridges, Okogie’s, Draymonds, Butlers’ Brooks on our team. Those players get the dirty job done and are valuable to their teams. We’ve already lost Bridges let’s not lose another great defender.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#55 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:37 pm

I still think he has a role with us after this season. Just his energy and defense alone is worth a spot and if he can hit 3's at like a mid-30's clip, that's enough to not be an offensive weak link.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Not even for the BAE??

Maybe, but depends on how he plays. If he maintains his career avg of like 28% from 3 and 40% from the field, and is terrible offensively, I am unsure. Depends on who else is there. A year younger with those career #s he got less than $2 million. So he likely won't be in high demand.

It will be interesting if we spend our exceptions or if we try to get under the tax, because that repeater tax will start to increase exponentially fast.

Tony Allen was in a different era of basketball. But if we can get him for the minimum, or if he is the best option out there at the BAE, maybe. Would you rather have him than Craig who can hit the 3 at over 39% and is better from 2 as well and a better rebounder? Okogie is a better defender and shows flashes of some very nice plays at times but I am unsure I'd want to commit more than 1 year to him.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#57 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:43 pm

On the one hand, Okogie had a stretch better than any of Craig's combined, he's a better on ball defender, can handle some ball handling duties (not creating though), a better offensive player overall and importantly, seems to be able to get to the line more often than we expect from a Suns player. On the other hand, Craig just has the size advantage, I think he's more versatile defensively, and he's shown he can hit 3's with consistency.

Craig is older and will be 33 when the next season starts although he's been pretty healthy this season despite all the abuse he gets defensively. I definitely don't want to offer him anything more than a one year deal imo. Okogie is younger, he'll be 25 next season, he still has potential to become a better and more consistent shooter and we know what he can do defensively.

If it's between the two, I'm leaning Okogie if he can be a playoff contributor. Ideally we can keep both on min/BAE level deals.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 6,001

Post#58 » by kennydorglas » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:08 am

Unless we can find another Mikal to replace Okogie, I dont see how or why we let him go.
+4.5 RAPTOR only trailing KD with +5.8 RAPTOR
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#59 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:31 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Not even for the BAE??

Maybe, but depends on how he plays. If he maintains his career avg of like 28% from 3 and 40% from the field, and is terrible offensively, I am unsure. Depends on who else is there. A year younger with those career #s he got less than $2 million. So he likely won't be in high demand.

It will be interesting if we spend our exceptions or if we try to get under the tax, because that repeater tax will start to increase exponentially fast.

Tony Allen was in a different era of basketball. But if we can get him for the minimum, or if he is the best option out there at the BAE, maybe. Would you rather have him than Craig who can hit the 3 at over 39% and is better from 2 as well and a better rebounder? Okogie is a better defender and shows flashes of some very nice plays at times but I am unsure I'd want to commit more than 1 year to him.

I would prefer to have Okogie. He is the better overall player. Much better ball handler and passer, higher IQ and better POA defender.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:51 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Not even for the BAE??

I would prefer to have Okogie. He is the better overall player. Much better ball handler and passer, higher IQ and better POA defender.

I would have said so after a small sample size, but he seems to have reverted to what he was...a 3rd stringer. Craig has played meaningful roles for teams for a number of years now. I get frustrated with him, and I wasn't even nearly as excited as others to bring him back (thought it was odd so many were so excited and always said they wanted him back), but he's definitely more valued around the league than Okogie..that's for sure.

Maybe Okogie can get back to what he did in those 5 games or so and it's more indicative of future value than his other 300 games, but not so sure.

Return to Phoenix Suns