ImageImageImage

Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Re: Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights. 

Post#61 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:38 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Maybe, but depends on how he plays. If he maintains his career avg of like 28% from 3 and 40% from the field, and is terrible offensively, I am unsure. Depends on who else is there. A year younger with those career #s he got less than $2 million. So he likely won't be in high demand.

It will be interesting if we spend our exceptions or if we try to get under the tax, because that repeater tax will start to increase exponentially fast.

Tony Allen was in a different era of basketball. But if we can get him for the minimum, or if he is the best option out there at the BAE, maybe. Would you rather have him than Craig who can hit the 3 at over 39% and is better from 2 as well and a better rebounder? Okogie is a better defender and shows flashes of some very nice plays at times but I am unsure I'd want to commit more than 1 year to him.

I would prefer to have Okogie. He is the better overall player. Much better ball handler and passer, higher IQ and better POA defender.

I would have said so after a small sample size, but he seems to have reverted to what he was...a 3rd stringer. Craig has played meaningful roles for teams for a number of years now. I get frustrated with him, and I wasn't even nearly as excited as others to bring him back (thought it was odd so many were so excited and always said they wanted him back), but he's definitely more valued around the league than Okogie..that's for sure.

Maybe Okogie can get back to what he did in those 5 games or so and it's more indicative of future value than his other 300 games, but not so sure.

If Okogie would average an efficient 18 ppg when playing great defense he would get a $100M/4 years contract.

He isn't a third stringer and he deserves to start for us...and that's what he has been doing for a month even with a full healthy roster.

Craig is OK but we are talking here about a much more impressive player who already probably is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league.

And Craig has past his prime and Okogie is entering his best years, you have to take that into consideration for their next contracts.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#62 » by NapoleonII » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:26 pm

These 7th/8th guys will look a lot better when KD is back.

Okogie won’t even be on teams radars out there. He had some nice games with KD if I remember, lots of open looks he knocked down.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#63 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:30 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I would prefer to have Okogie. He is the better overall player. Much better ball handler and passer, higher IQ and better POA defender.

I would have said so after a small sample size, but he seems to have reverted to what he was...a 3rd stringer. Craig has played meaningful roles for teams for a number of years now. I get frustrated with him, and I wasn't even nearly as excited as others to bring him back (thought it was odd so many were so excited and always said they wanted him back), but he's definitely more valued around the league than Okogie..that's for sure.

Maybe Okogie can get back to what he did in those 5 games or so and it's more indicative of future value than his other 300 games, but not so sure.

If Okogie would average an efficient 18 ppg when playing great defense he would get a $100M/4 years contract.

He isn't a third stringer and he deserves to start for us...and that's what he has been doing for a month even with a full healthy roster.

Craig is OK but we are talking here about a much more impressive player who already probably is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league.

And Craig has past his prime and Okogie is entering his best years, you have to take that into consideration for their next contracts.

He has played a handful of good games offensively and but his overall NBA body of work is poor and he quickly became a minimum contract player after his rookie deal.

Sure if he scored 18ppg (though it would obviously have to be on better efficiency) he would get a good contract. But if my Aunt had a p....well, you get the idea. He doesn't score 18ppg.

Lets see how he plays out.

I know you always think people should get big contracts, thought Shamet's was great, and want people to get big ones, but I don't think they will for sure pay him a lot. He would essentially cost a lot more because of the extra tax. And if they do decide to spend the tax MLE, there may be someone better.

However, at the same time, after his great run of games, I thought he'd get paid more than the tax MLE if he kept it up. But he didn't. He has reverted to the same player that earned him a minimum. Time will tell.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#64 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:18 pm

I hope they resign Okogie this summer. He's a great dirty work kind of role player and you need those with guys like KD and Booker.

I think he'll get more than the minimum this summer but I don't think he'll be priced out of the suns plans.

I wouldn't put too much stock in small sample sizes good or bad.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#65 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:54 pm

The guy just makes winning plays. Whether it's getting dirty on the floor to get loose balls or putting up real resistance against someone with a size advantage or even just getting to the line which no one on this teams seems to be able to do.

Just a great dude to have on the team
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,096

Post#66 » by garrick » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:18 am

I think he gets MLE money next season. Showed promise but then went back to shooting inefficiently but shows some potential as a slasher and finisher.

If he shot around league average for 3's he would be looking for a lot of money this offseason.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#67 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:55 pm

garrick wrote:I think he gets MLE money next season. Showed promise but then went back to shooting inefficiently but shows some potential as a slasher and finisher.

If he shot around league average for 3's he would be looking for a lot of money this offseason.

Will be interesting to see how he finishes. His 3pt % has gone up this year overall from previous years (largely related to a hot streak), but his 2pt% has gone down pretty drastically. He is a better rebounder and passer though.

I think he likely fits a lot better role for us given our offensive firepower in the starting unit, whereas another team without as much offensive firepower, may not be able to afford to play him many minutes for lack of offense.

So even though his market was the minimum last season while still young off a rookie contract, with slight improvements, and his fit on the Suns, he could make a little more. I can't imagine a team offering him like $10 million a year though. Even the tax MLE at $7 million or so seems high. He is overall not playing nearly as well as Payne did when he got his contract for that amount, though that was thought of as a steal. He shot over 51% from 3 in the bubble from 3 with over a 2/1 ast/to ratio and had that minimum option and then his first full year shot 44% from 3 for a whole year with a 3.6/1 ast/to ratio so he was really elite for a backup in his first full year with us. He just regressed last year to under a 34% 3pt shooter, but now is back up over 37%. His overall efficiency is still down though not only because he dropped down fro 44-52% from 3, but also from over 51% to 45% from 2.

I do think he is another guy who could thrive with our starters though if we don't keep Paul, because everything will be that much easier with the spacing and offensive options.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#68 » by Saberestar » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:26 am

Josh Okogie's minutes in the first round:

Game 1: 7 minutes
Game 2: 15 mins
Game 3: 21 mins
Game 4: 25 mins
Game 5: 33 mins

I predict a big contribution from him against the Nuggets and Jamal Murray. His POA defense can be a huge factor to stop that killer offense.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#69 » by sunskerr » Sat Jul 1, 2023 12:17 am

We got him
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#70 » by Saberestar » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:17 pm

Josh Okogie has 5 years of service but as a non-bird FA also got a 120% raise, so his contract is:

Year 1 - $2,815,937
Year 2 - $2,956,734 (PO)

If JO has a strong season, he will have the ability to opt out & sign a longer term more lucrative deal using Early Bird Rights.

I also expect him to have no trade power this season.

Read on Twitter
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#71 » by sunskerr » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:07 pm

Thrilled to get bird rights. Hope he has some nice development this year. Love these types of defensive guys. Difficult to have too many of them.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#72 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:16 pm

https://www.threads.net/t/CukvQs_pzSq/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Tuff angle for Okogie and his hairline. Over under on time until he breaks out the bic is 1 year.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#73 » by TASTIC » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:11 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:https://www.threads.net/t/CukvQs_pzSq/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Tuff angle for Okogie and his hairline. Over under on time until he breaks out the bic is 1 year.

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#74 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:https://www.threads.net/t/CukvQs_pzSq/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Yeah it's rough. I mean with how high he wears his headband in game, it was not too surprising. Hair loss can be traumatic though so I can see why he's holding on.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,125

Post#75 » by sunsbg » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:09 am

Discussing players' dressing style and hair cuts. Yeah it's the offseason. Now back to trading DA. It's almost 15th.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#76 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:05 am

Josh Okogie's hair or Jalen Smith's basketball
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#77 » by Saberestar » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:53 am

Josh Okogie put on a show during today’s
@AEBLHOOPS
action

Read on Twitter
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#78 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:24 am

We have the technology to see into people's dreams
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#79 » by bigfoot » Tue Oct 3, 2023 9:53 pm

;ab_channel=PhoenixSuns
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#80 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 11:33 pm

Love Josh. Great speaker with a can-do attitude

Return to Phoenix Suns