ImageImageImage

Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Re: Josh Okogie news, discussion and highlights. 

Post#81 » by Saberestar » Sun Oct 8, 2023 5:40 pm

"I love his game."

Frank Vogel as he'll start Josh Okogie along with Devin Booker, Kevin Durant, Bradley Beal and Jusuf Nurkic.

Said starting last season with Durant, Booker part of decision.

Likes he can guard point guards and bigger wings.

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#82 » by Saberestar » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:43 pm

How Josh Okogie is carving out his role in Suns' star-centric vision

By Jake Fischer

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-josh-okogie-is-carving-out-his-role-in-suns-star-centric-vision-151411961.html
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#83 » by Saberestar » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:36 am

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#84 » by Saberestar » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:37 am

Impressive game to start the season, he absolutely deserves the SF starting spot.

We probably "got lucky" with his poor performance in the past playoffs, he could have signed a big contract last summer with another team.

His defense is unreal. IMO he is better than Mikal as a individual or team defender.

On offense I think it's a good idea to put him in the duncker spot when Nurkic gets the ball at the FT line. He can get a pass and finish around the rim or fight for an offensive rebound.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#85 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:24 pm

His defensive activity and hustle makes him Vogel's type of player. Vogel is the guy that turned KCPs career around.

Okogie can already do what KCP can do defensively, it's just about hitting the open 3ball consistently now.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#86 » by NapoleonII » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:03 pm

Dude isn't 6'4 tho

If he's 6'4 then Steph Curry is almost 6'5
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach

Post#87 » by NapoleonII » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:04 pm

But I agree, he's the perfect glue guy for a 3 star team, if he can hit 3's at a 35% clip
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by NapoleonII » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:05 pm

Booker
Beal
Okogie
KD
Nurk

That's our death line-up.

Good mix of defense, hustle, size, length, shooting.

It's not Point Book, it's wtf is a point guard?
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#89 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:17 pm

NapoleonII wrote:Dude isn't 6'4 tho

I have a hard time telling Goodwin from Okogie out on the court since they're so similar size wise. Yeah and also the headband and the crazy hustle

If Okogie was 3 inches taller we would be set roster wise.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#90 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:18 pm

NapoleonII wrote:Booker
Beal
Okogie
KD
Nurk

That's our death line-up.

Good mix of defense, hustle, size, length, shooting.

It's not Point Book, it's wtf is a point guard?

Gordon needs to be in the death lineup, I'd have him in for Okogie
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,835

Post#91 » by RedIndian » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:55 pm

Saberestar wrote:Impressive game to start the season, he absolutely deserves the SF starting spot.

We probably "got lucky" with his poor performance in the past playoffs, he could have signed a big contract last summer with another team.

His defense is unreal. IMO he is better than Mikal as a individual or team defender.

On offense I think it's a good idea to put him in the duncker spot when Nurkic gets the ball at the FT line. He can get a pass and finish around the rim or fight for an offensive rebound.
I think he has some advantages over Mikal - he's much stronger, and his hustle on the offensive boards and just all round willingness to put his body on the line is superior.

But I think Mikal's stellar ability was just his elite screen navigation - maybe the best in the league at it. Just extremely disciplined, consistent and technically good PnR defense, especially on guards.

Okogie is better on isolations, especially against bigger wings, but I find his screen navigation pretty ordinary. He was totally ineffective against Jamal Murray in the playoffs (getting repeatedly screened out of actions), and you could see that today against Curry as well. I think that's an aspect of his game he needs to work on.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#92 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:20 pm

RedIndian wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Impressive game to start the season, he absolutely deserves the SF starting spot.

I think he has some advantages over Mikal - he's much stronger, and his hustle on the offensive boards and just all round willingness to put his body on the line is superior.

But I think Mikal's stellar ability was just his elite screen navigation - maybe the best in the league at it. Just extremely disciplined, consistent and technically good PnR defense, especially on guards.

Okogie is better on isolations, especially against bigger wings, but I find his screen navigation pretty ordinary. He was totally ineffective against Jamal Murray in the playoffs (getting repeatedly screened out of actions), and you could see that today against Curry as well. I think that's an aspect of his game he needs to work on.

They're different players with different physical profiles. Okogies defensive ceiling is Jrue Holiday, he can never be Mikal since he doesn't have the length nor should he try to be.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#93 » by Saberestar » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:56 pm

NapoleonII wrote:Dude isn't 6'4 tho

He is 6'3 barefoot.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#94 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:05 pm

If Okogie takes even a mini leap it would be absolutely huge for this squad. He's such a good compliment to Booker and Beal.

He's definitely a Vogel kind of player and Franks had success getting the most it of dudes like Curruso.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#95 » by matt131 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:30 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:If Okogie takes even a mini leap it would be absolutely huge for this squad. He's such a good compliment to Booker and Beal.

He's definitely a Vogel kind of player and Franks had success getting the most it of dudes like Curruso.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

How he played last night was perfect. The ultimate hustle guy and great defense. Awesome offensive boards and tap outs. AND he hit his three when necessary. On a minimum contract? Unbelievable.

He’s really fun to watch and fun to root for. Glad we retained him and hoping that Vogel empowers him to be even better defensively and that his shot is truly better this year.

Watching him in person warm up before the fan practice, his shot looked very clean and he hit a very high percentage. Hoping that translates to the games.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 6,001

Post#96 » by kennydorglas » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:20 pm

Great find by JJ
Gotta give chance to those uber athletic guys who fail to impress early in their careers.
Always a great recipe for success in the long run.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#97 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:20 pm

He had a great run last year where we were worried about keeping him. Played great offensively like last night, even scoring a lot. He will have his ups and downs, but great start. He will probably have it a little easier than last year given the opposing defense will probably not pay attention to him whatsoever.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#98 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:26 am

So yes he's been great but he also clogs the paint waiting for rebounds when Durant drives. Needs to be the right balance for the team.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#99 » by Qwigglez » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:09 am

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#100 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:09 am

Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ehhhh I'm not good with seeing these types of injuries but boy did it do something to his shooting
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns