Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Re: 2024 Dynasty Discussion - Draft Complete, check rosters on yahoo 

Post#1081 » by Qwigglez » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:22 am

sunskerr wrote:
One thing I thought about doing, since we cannot change the IL/IL+ spots because our season has started, was to record everyone's roster, reset the league/teams, set the IL/IL+ to 3 and then fix everyones teams back to normal with commish tools. Since nobody has gone past 3 IL/IL+ it's technically viable, but it feels scummy because 1) people are expecting 2/2 IL+ and 2) we already began the league in the first place.

Can't we just have the league start on the 22nd? Would that be able to change the amount of players? I don't think it's a viable strategy for people to expect 2/2 IL+ and 2, plus again, there is hardly as many injuries to start the season as in previous years.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,985

Post#1082 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:23 am

bigfoot wrote:Seems to have given an advantage to managers who are actively checking the yahoo site.

Check yahoo! :D
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,435

Post#1083 » by sunskerr » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:28 am

Qwigglez wrote:Can't we just have the league start on the 22nd? Would that be able to change the amount of players? I don't think it's a viable strategy for people to expect 2/2 IL+ and 2, plus again, there is hardly as many injuries to start the season as in previous years.

I'm just concerned about like, DesertFox's team who already has a healthy Dillon Brooks on IL+ :lol: which actually throws a wrench in my plan.

It's not even so much about the # of injuries. It's just ethically I don't want to change DesertFox's lineup.

I mean, I can go ahead and do this, but I need more backing and I actually just hate doing it in the first place because everyone made moves already.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#1084 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:41 am

sunskerr wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Can't we just have the league start on the 22nd? Would that be able to change the amount of players? I don't think it's a viable strategy for people to expect 2/2 IL+ and 2, plus again, there is hardly as many injuries to start the season as in previous years.

I'm just concerned about like, DesertFox's team who already has a healthy Dillon Brooks on IL+ :lol: which actually throws a wrench in my plan.

It's not even so much about the # of injuries. It's just ethically I don't want to change DesertFox's lineup.

I mean, I can go ahead and do this, but I need more backing and I actually just hate doing it in the first place because everyone made moves already.

I dont think you should, unless Brooks sits there for, lets say, 5 games, while healthy and producing, and even then, just give a heads up to a manager that a player needs to be activated.

Matter of fact, I could see Brooks hurt a team more by playing games than by sittijg on IL during stretches. :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,637

Post#1085 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:53 am

sunskerr wrote:
bigfoot wrote:This is what happens. Too many playable reserves sitting on managers teams with 16 players. Then managers with real injuries can’t pickup a decent player on waiver. I brought this up last season and we seem to have forgotten to address it.

Yeah. There are several remedies that I will think about this year, to implement next year.

They include things like:

-15 players flat per team, no IL or IL+ (maybe increase number of keepers by 1)
-13 or 14 players per team, 2 or 1 IL, no IL+
-12 players per team, 3 IL, no IL+
-12 players per team, 1 IL+

They all have their own strengths, weaknesses.

15 flat is interesting because it just removes all pretenses about IL/IL+ and your roster is your roster - nobody gains any sort of advantage from having injured players, but you still are able to cover for both long and short term injuries because of the extra roster spots.

We also cut the roster size from "16" to "15", although the average waiver wire player probably gets worse - but you do your diligence drafting and we remove the "luck" associated with scrambling to the waiver wire for pickups when a guy gets injured. So the luck just gets transferred from the guy who happened to be on his phone to the person who drafted the backup.

For example, instead of Mitchell Robinson getting injured and everyone trying to get lucky and pick up Hartenstein, the guy who got lucky was just the person who drafted him. Removes the potential time zone/work related scenarios. This is actually massive and why 15 is worth serious consideration.

Anyway, I could write even more paragraphs but these are the types of things that I think about and discuss with bw a lot in dms. Hardly any of them ever make it to this thread :lol:

Qwigglez wrote:What is the recommendation Bigfoot?

I feel this year many teams and players should be healthy entering the season, so we could possibly lower the IL+ spot to just one, or none at all, or one IL and one IL+. Maybe towards March we can raise the limit back up since that is when NBA teams start tanking and resting players.
Additionally, there is a maximum players acquisitions for an entire season that could be toggled on Yahoo. I just calculated last year the average moves a team made was 21.75, I had the most at 47, and the least was DMastro who had 3. The season before that the average was 20.25. We could potentially have the maximum player acquisition be set to 25, though I feel many won't like this restriction. (If something like this is done, we could reset everyone that has made a transaction or acquisition back to 0 to start over).

One thing I thought about doing, since we cannot change the IL/IL+ spots because our season has started, was to record everyone's roster, reset the league/teams, set the IL/IL+ to 3 and then fix everyones teams back to normal with commish tools. Since nobody has gone past 3 IL/IL+ it's technically viable, but it feels scummy because 1) people are expecting 2/2 IL+ and 2) we already began the league in the first place.

It's not that big of a deal. We are making mountains out of molehills. We are talking about the bottom of the barrel players. I am sure most who have a healthy guy on IL hasn't realized he's healthy (if he's starter quality).

If someone wants to monitor this then we can let the manager know they need to move their healthy player off. I was looking earlier, and best case would be that yahoo requires you to take a guy off to adjust your lineup. But it doesn't allow you to add/drop players if you have a healthy guy in one of those slots.

I think it's more important to have IL+ than IL because guys can be probable or DTD for weeks, or at least a few games. Also I wouldn't reduce the number of spots because some teams do get ravaged by injuries. I wouldn't increase roster spots either. Our league is already really deep.

It feels like we are at a good spot now, I would maybe decrease IL to have either 3 IL+ or 1 IL and 2 IL+ but even with 4, I often had a 5th injured guy last year and no real droppable players.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#1086 » by sunskerr » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:It's not that big of a deal. We are making mountains out of molehills. We are talking about the bottom of the barrel players. I am sure most who have a healthy guy on IL hasn't realized he's healthy (if he's starter quality).

If someone wants to monitor this then we can let the manager know they need to move their healthy player off. I was looking earlier, and best case would be that yahoo requires you to take a guy off to adjust your lineup. But it doesn't allow you to add/drop players if you have a healthy guy in one of those slots.

I think it's more important to have IL+ than IL because guys can be probable or DTD for weeks, or at least a few games. Also I wouldn't reduce the number of spots because some teams do get ravaged by injuries. I wouldn't increase roster spots either. Our league is already really deep.

It feels like we are at a good spot now, I would maybe decrease IL to have either 3 IL+ or 1 IL and 2 IL+ but even with 4, I often had a 5th injured guy last year and no real droppable players.

Thank you. The voice of reason saving me from destroying the league.

I still wanna see what 15 player rosters works out like. I really like how it minimizes the effect of timezones and schedules
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1087 » by bigfoot » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:28 am

Im not advocating for any changes now. Best let things stand pat and fix it in the off-season.

And for Perkins … I agree check Yahoo often with the caveat of letting all managers explicitly know that the waiver wire is activated at the beginning of the season. I check my email regularly and a notification by a commish or co-commish to all managers would have been more fair. People do have other things to do on the weekends beside checking yahoo fantasy leagues. I would have set a reminder to check the waivers had I been given a start date.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#1088 » by sunskerr » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:34 am

bigfoot wrote:Im not advocating for any changes now. Best let things stand pat and fix it in the off-season.

And for Perkins … I agree check Yahoo often with the caveat of letting all managers explicitly know that the waiver wire is activated at the beginning of the season. I check my email regularly and a notification by a commish or co-commish to all managers would have been more fair. People do have other things to do on the weekends beside checking yahoo fantasy leagues. I would have set a reminder to check the waivers had I been given a start date.

Thanks for letting up. I will be looking at all this seriously in the next offseason so all the feedback is important. I am always looking at ways to make the league more fair, drive participation, and also at the same time keep up with modern fantasy league theory and the modern NBA.

Like I **** you not, a few days ago I had a wall typed out detailing the pros and cons of utilizing PG G G F F PF C as a lineup to reflect the lead creator/small wing/big wing/center modern player archetypes in the NBA. I shouldve put more effort into scouting this offseason :noway:
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#1089 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:59 am

sunskerr wrote:
bigfoot wrote:Im not advocating for any changes now. Best let things stand pat and fix it in the off-season.

Thanks for letting up. I will be looking at all this seriously in the next offseason so all the feedback is important. I am always looking at ways to make the league more fair, drive participation, and also at the same time keep up with modern fantasy league theory and the modern NBA.

Like I **** you not, a few days ago I had a wall typed out detailing the pros and cons of utilizing PG G G F F PF C as a lineup to reflect the lead creator/small wing/big wing/center modern player archetypes in the NBA. I shouldve put more effort into scouting this offseason :noway:

We actually went with GGG FFF C UUU in a league I commish. That works really well.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#1090 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:02 am

So, not trying to get into a yes/no discussion here, but the waiver wire release date shows up as soon as the league has entered its draft, which I think was almost a week ago. Tillman and Santi were not even claimed during the first waiver release date.

Having said that, I didnt refer to that in my previous post, but to the fact that you have pending trade offers on Yahoo.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,388

Post#1091 » by Golanator » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:10 am

Aaron Gordon with 15/7/5/2/1 + 1 3PT on 7/11 FG.

Good start
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#1092 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:48 pm

My team is too young to actually be good but man do I like it more than last seasons depressing squad.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#1093 » by sunskerr » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:21 pm

I love Shai

Also yeah, feel free to trade draft picks for next year. Not any plans to revamp the draft as of now or in the future. Couldn't think of anything palatable.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1094 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:01 pm

sunskerr wrote:I love Shai

Also yeah, feel free to trade draft picks for next year. Not any plans to revamp the draft as of now or in the future. Couldn't think of anything palatable.

I had the 5th pick in a redraft Knicks realgm league and was comparing him and Haliburton and decided on Haliburton and was surprised the guy with the 4th pick took Haliburton so I got Shai. Not disappointed, because love them both, was just surprised someone else was going to take him first.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#1095 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:55 pm

Hali and Shai have been going 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 mostly in whatever order. Both are amazing players... really excited about their future.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 854

Post#1096 » by Desertfox » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:24 am

I'm so mad I accidentally traded SGA.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1097 » by Qwigglez » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:02 am

I didn't want to trade SGA, but I had to take the opportunity to have two quality players in Kyrie and Fox because my keepers before the 2021/22 season was slim. I had AD, Lavine, and Booker. Bamba, Powell, McConnell, and Poeltl. I was fortunate enough to have gotten the 3rd pick and I picked Evan Mobley.

Traded AD and Bojan for SGA and Joe Harris. Traded SGA for Fox, Kyrie, and a 2nd round pick for my 4th round pick (2nd round pick I whiffed taking Javale McGee). Traded my original 2nd round pick for Nikola Vucevic, so my keepers for last season turned into Kyrie Irving, Devin Booker, Zach Lavine, DeAaron Fox, Evan Mobley, Nikola Vucevic, and Jalen Smith. Then traded Evan Mobley and my 2023 1st round pick for Joel Embiid and a 3rd round pick.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1098 » by Qwigglez » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:07 am

Note: Cam Johnson's photo on Yahoo is funny, not as funny as Butler's though. :lol:
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#1099 » by sunskerr » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:37 pm

Yeah I locked onto SGA a few seasons ago. No hesitation putting in a big offer for him since he checked so many boxes and my team was going nowhere that year.

Im a bit annoyed no teams ever rang up offering bigs like Embiid/Davis/Porzingis/Markkanen though...like I was the youngest and deepest team in the league the last few years and no teams even let me know those guys were available.

It is what it is though. Main concern is Harden pulling a Ben Simmons in a competing year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1100 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:28 pm

SGA has been traded twice? That's nuts. He is and has been the perfect dynasty type player for the past few years. Yeah, a lot of those big names that were traded I never knew were available.

Return to Phoenix Suns