Alec Burks
Kemba Walker
Tre Mann
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,427

Re: 2022-23 Dynasty Season (check in) 

Post#22 » by sunskerr » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:18 pm

Any interest in Mitchell Robinson or Onyeka Okongwu?
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#23 » by Qwigglez » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:54 am

sunskerr wrote:league renewed!

To be honest, I'll be surprised if we get 16 players. Like you said bw, the suns have been better, but also things in real life have gotten much tougher for people economically in generally speaking so a lot of people just don't have that extra energy anymore and that's totally fair. Also a lot of us have been basketball superfans in addition to playing the game in some capacity in real life basically our entire lives so its natural to have those dips in enthusiasm.

Looks like just 3 people haven't said they are in yet, so that's a pretty good turn out.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#24 » by Qwigglez » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 am

Anyone interested in Poeltl, Bamba, Jalen Smith?
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Re: 2022-23 Dynasty Season (desertfox stix 8on) 

Post#25 » by 8on » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:26 pm

I hadn't seen this but I'm back
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,388

Re: 2022-23 Dynasty Season (desertfox stix) 

Post#26 » by Golanator » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:23 pm

Didn’t we have some sort of games played rule to prevent tanking? I think it was 3 games/position or something. Maybe I’m making that up.

iirc several teams fell way short of the threshold last year.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#27 » by sunskerr » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:21 pm

Golanator wrote:Didn’t we have some sort of games played rule to prevent tanking? I think it was 3 games/position or something. Maybe I’m making that up.

Im fairly sure we did have a rule regarding that. I checked back in some previous threads and could not find it. We do have an exception rule (the the excel sheet) for covid/injuries, which quite frankly, are so common that its plausible everyone at the bottom could claim injuries.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#28 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:56 pm

sunskerr wrote:
Golanator wrote:Didn’t we have some sort of games played rule to prevent tanking? I think it was 3 games/position or something. Maybe I’m making that up.

Im fairly sure we did have a rule regarding that. I checked back in some previous threads and could not find it. We do have an exception rule (the the excel sheet) for covid/injuries, which quite frankly, are so common that its plausible everyone at the bottom could claim injuries.
There was a rule in the past to prevent tanking but I think we made some concessions because of COVID. My team got hammered early by both COVID and injuries and I didn't pay as close attention after that. I'll take my punishment if we had something in place. It wasn't that I was trying to lose for a pick but after my season went to hell I did get lazy.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,626

Post#29 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:21 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

There was a rule in the past to prevent tanking but I think we made some concessions because of COVID. My team got hammered early by both COVID and injuries and I didn't pay as close attention after that. I'll take my punishment if we had something in place. It wasn't that I was trying to lose for a pick but after my season went to hell I did get lazy.

I did notice you were way low in the rankings and I'm thinking "how does a team with Giannis and Embiid have a top pick?" then I saw games played.

I had a lot of injuries too but since we had so many IR and IR+ spots you could still sub in to a certain extent but it was pretty tough and I couldn't max out my games.. But yeah, you extrapolate everyone to the same # of games and the standings would look a lot different.

But I know when you know you are out of it, it's easy to get lazy, which was the reason for the rule.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#30 » by sunskerr » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:20 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

I did notice you were way low in the rankings and I'm thinking "how does a team with Giannis and Embiid have a top pick?" then I saw games played.

I had a lot of injuries too but since we had so many IR and IR+ spots you could still sub in to a certain extent but it was pretty tough and I couldn't max out my games.. But yeah, you extrapolate everyone to the same # of games and the standings would look a lot different.

But I know when you know you are out of it, it's easy to get lazy, which was the reason for the rule.

What was the rule exactly? If we have the rule, we have to abide by it if we can properly implement it (i.e. we know every manager who tanked/abandoned their teams).
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,540

Post#31 » by Stix » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:33 am

i'm here and I will give it another go for Dynasty
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#32 » by wheezy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

I think my whole IR+bench+more was filled with injured players at one point. It became impossible to make games up without dropping players I wanted to potentially keep, and having Kawhi+Beal+Klay+Simmons out all/most of the season plus Bam missing a ton of games really hurt.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:43 am

sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:There was a rule in the past to prevent tanking but I think we made some concessions because of COVID. My team got hammered early by both COVID and injuries and I didn't pay as close attention after that. I'll take my punishment if we had something in place. It wasn't that I was trying to lose for a pick but after my season went to hell I did get lazy.

What was the rule exactly? If we have the rule, we have to abide by it if we can properly implement it (i.e. we know every manager who tanked/abandoned their teams).

The rule was you drop a tier in the draft if you don't hit a certain # of games played. But I can't recall what that number was. I also remember when COVID hit that we discussed it might become impossible which was when we expanded the IR and turned some into IR + slots.

I don't know the best way to handle it. I can understand if you have a really good team and a ton of injuries and not wanting to draft people so you miss a ton of games and finish low, but at the same time, if you have a really good team and only had a bad record because you couldn't play games and really don't have a great team, do you deserve a high draft pick because of injuries?

We could handle he draft in a different way entirely, though I don't know how that would be, and it is probably unfair to the teams who are truly bad and actively went young to rebuild.

I'm kind of in no mans land...I can't really go young or compete, so I just have to try and make smart picks and moves.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,254

Re: 2022-23 Dynasty Season (desertfox check in) 

Post#34 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:00 am

I honestly don't think anyone was neglecting their teams this season for draft positions, which is what the games played stat was meant to do. A lot of top players missed significant time this season, even some NBA writers talked about that when they discussed their All-NBA selections.

I know I've got a pretty nice seat in the front of the Tank, but I think we'll be fine with just the tier system moving forward.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,279

Post#35 » by Slim Charless » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

The rule was you drop a tier in the draft if you don't hit a certain # of games played. But I can't recall what that number was. I also remember when COVID hit that we discussed it might become impossible which was when we expanded the IR and turned some into IR + slots.

I don't know the best way to handle it. I can understand if you have a really good team and a ton of injuries and not wanting to draft people so you miss a ton of games and finish low, but at the same time, if you have a really good team and only had a bad record because you couldn't play games and really don't have a great team, do you deserve a high draft pick because of injuries?

We could handle he draft in a different way entirely, though I don't know how that would be, and it is probably unfair to the teams who are truly bad and actively went young to rebuild.

I'm kind of in no mans land...I can't really go young or compete, so I just have to try and make smart picks and moves.

When I started on last year, I was told that if you're not active then you drop down a tier for draft purposes. I'm no calling anyone out but you can look at the standings of last year and easily tell who was trying and who wasn't. If you just weren't playing dudes- for whatever reason, then you need to take a hit this year and move down a tier in the draft order.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:26 am

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

When I started on last year, I was told that if you're not active then you drop down a tier for draft purposes. I'm no calling anyone out but you can look at the standings of last year and easily tell who was trying and who wasn't. If you just weren't playing dudes- for whatever reason, then you need to take a hit this year and move down a tier in the draft order.

It's hard to argue against the worst teams on paper not getting the high picks. I understand that first tier would be coveted with possibly 3-4 major difference makers, but people can be a bust too.

I got Bane with my 4th pick or something last year AFTER keepers. I was shocked he had been dropped. He's probably as valuable as just about anyone in his draft outside of a few players.

You can get solid diamonds in the rough later on. Just hire GoK as a consultant. He will give you a big list and a thesis with videos and everything.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#37 » by wheezy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:14 am

bwgood77 wrote:Just hire GoK as a consultant. He will give you a big list and a thesis with videos and everything.

No one besides him has that much time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:19 am

wheezy wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Just hire GoK as a consultant. He will give you a big list and a thesis with videos and everything.

No one besides him has that much time.

I don't even have anough time to read his posts.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#39 » by sunskerr » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 am

bwgood and I are going over ways to implement the tank penalty for a team or three. we'll also probably have something to vote for to make the implementation of the tanking penalty easier for next year.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#40 » by bigfoot » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:54 am

One thing to consider in regards to tanking is the propensity of teams to rest players the last 10 games of the season. Considering most dynasty players are starters, the likelihood of missing out on games at seasons end is high. It’s hard to let go of decent players at the tail end of a season just to pickup a scrub starter in order to meet a games-played quota

Return to Phoenix Suns