ImageImageImage

2024 Dynasty - draft lotto p64, need new manager p63

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,388

Re: 2022-23 Dynasty Season (lotto results p1, keeper deadline 10/9) 

Post#81 » by Golanator » Wed Oct 5, 2022 4:13 pm

Have we given any thought to expanding the rosters?

Right now we have 12 players. I feel like we can easily make that 13, 14 or 15. If we did that and expanded keepers by 1-2 this would allow us to also hang onto some more fringe keeper types and developmental guys who we might not otherwise have room for.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#82 » by Qwigglez » Wed Oct 5, 2022 4:21 pm

Golanator wrote:Have we given any thought to expanding the rosters?

Right now we have 12 players. I feel like we can easily make that 13, 14 or 15. If we did that and expanded keepers by 1-2 this would allow us to also hang onto some more fringe keeper types and developmental guys who we might not otherwise have room for.

With 16 people it will make the free agency pool very shallow if we opened up the roster to 13-15 players.
Golanator
Sixth Man

Post#83 » by Golanator » Wed Oct 5, 2022 4:27 pm

Qwigglez wrote:

With 16 people it will make the free agency pool very shallow if we opened up the roster to 13-15 players.

Sure, but your roster will be deeper lessening the need for free agents.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 852

Post#84 » by Desertfox » Wed Oct 5, 2022 4:39 pm

That will make the league very boring with very little turnover.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,254

Post#85 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Oct 5, 2022 4:41 pm

Golanator wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

I think we want some level of roster turnover. I wouldn't mind expanding rosters, but probably not keepers.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Golanator
Sixth Man

Post#86 » by Golanator » Wed Oct 5, 2022 5:04 pm

It was just a question, I guess not.

dmastro32
Rookie
And1: 503

Post#87 » by dmastro32 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 7:22 pm

tentative Keepers -
Luka Doncic
Jarrett Allen
Franz Wagner
Lauri Markkanen
RJ Barrett
Jonathan Kuminga
Cameron Johnson

Everyone else:
Gary Trent Jr
Lonzo Ball
Mason Plumlee
Darius Bazley
Pat Bev
Dwight Powell
Torrey Craig
Al Horford

Everyone available not named Luka
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,621

Post#88 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:56 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:For some reason, yahoo is not giving me the option to change my keepers.

You should be able to go to the Choose Keepers tab underneath My Team when you are on the main page of our league.

https://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/34546

If you click on your team through the standings however it won't give you access to the Choose Keepers, so it's a bit strange how to navigate around it. Not sure if this is the issue you are having or not, but I certainly was struggling to find the Keepers area too.

Weird, that is what I was doing yesterday and it only had 3 options under that (Roster, Watch List, Team Log). I even googled how to choose keepers and it told me it was an option under there. Must have been a problem in there last night.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#89 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 9:01 pm

Golanator wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

We have discussed leaving the keepers and allowing every team to have 1 extra rookie or 2nd year guy as an extra. We also discussed possibly designating your one player you want with 1-2 years experience but couldn't play him that year (he is like your G league player).

Of course with the latter part if he was really balling, that would suck to not be able to play him. But it would allow the better teams to also have "prospects" since they will more likely utilize the draft to get players to win now...and teams rebuilding wouldn't have ALL the great players years down the line.
Golanator
Sixth Man

Post#90 » by Golanator » Wed Oct 5, 2022 9:19 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Golanator wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:With 16 people it will make the free agency pool very shallow if we opened up the roster to 13-15 players.

We have discussed leaving the keepers and allowing every team to have 1 extra rookie or 2nd year guy as an extra. We also discussed possibly designating your one player you want with 1-2 years experience but couldn't play him that year (he is like your G league player).

Of course with the latter part if he was really balling, that would suck to not be able to play him. But it would allow the better teams to also have "prospects" since they will more likely utilize the draft to get players to win now...and teams rebuilding wouldn't have ALL the great players years down the line.

That last idea wouldn’t be bad. A guy like Aleksej Pokuševski or Deni Avdija fits that mold perfectly. Still have potential, wanna keep them but at the end of the day I’m not gonna drop a sure fire top 75 player to do so.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#91 » by sunskerr » Wed Oct 5, 2022 10:06 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Golanator wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:With 16 people it will make the free agency pool very shallow if we opened up the roster to 13-15 players.

I really, really like this idea and am open to discussing how to implement it next year, or this year if we can get the draft done on time. Gotta figure out ways we can designate prospect players and keep them off FA. I feel like guys with less than 4 years should be eligible i.e. they're in their 4th season or less (the length of a rookie contract).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#92 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 10:15 pm

sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Golanator wrote:

I really, really like this idea and am open to discussing how to implement it next year, or this year if we can get the draft done on time. Gotta figure out ways we can designate prospect players and keep them off FA. I feel like guys with less than 4 years should be eligible i.e. they're in their 4th season or less (the length of a rookie contract).

We could discuss now before the draft...BUT we would need to decide if we all select these players after the draft or can select them at any time.

And are you agreeing you couldn't play them? We could just say they will be on your team but you HAVE to leave them on your bench (maybe have an extra bench spot?) I was going to say IL+ but obviously if they were healthy that wouldn't work. Or we could just say you get 8 or 9 keepers but one HAS to be a 1st or 2nd year player....and they can play him if they want. But still add that extra bench spot because of that and maybe expand the draft one round. It would leave waivers pretty bare though, but with that extra bench spot teams should be alright with games as long as they don't leave guys playing on the bench unless they had to because everyone was playing that night.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#93 » by sunskerr » Wed Oct 5, 2022 10:56 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

We could discuss now before the draft...BUT we would need to decide if we all select these players after the draft or can select them at any time.

And are you agreeing you couldn't play them? We could just say they will be on your team but you HAVE to leave them on your bench (maybe have an extra bench spot?) I was going to say IL+ but obviously if they were healthy that wouldn't work. Or we could just say you get 8 or 9 keepers but one HAS to be a 1st or 2nd year player....and they can play him if they want. But still add that extra bench spot because of that and maybe expand the draft one round. It would leave waivers pretty bare though, but with that extra bench spot teams should be alright with games as long as they don't leave guys playing on the bench unless they had to because everyone was playing that night.

Yeah, I think it should be a scenario where they can't be played, so its not used as effectively a 2nd waiver wire add option. Otherwise you will just have people adding/dropping as normal. Maybe also make it so you can only designate 1 player per year with this rule. So that would keep waivers a little bit less barren.

I think we could add a round after the 5th round of the draft that is optional to participate in - so if you want to fill your prospect spot then you can, or you can wait until the season starts and claim a breakout candidate (or maybe this shouldn't be allowed - lets discuss more). Then the following year you can either promote them to your 7-8 keeper, leave them in the prospect spot, or return them to FA (or maybe just make it so you have to either elect to keep them, or lose them to FA).

Lots of interesting little things to talk about.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#94 » by bigfoot » Thu Oct 6, 2022 12:43 am

This really needs to be thought out. A requirement should be that a player getting the type of designation being discussed should be 1) a rookie, and 2) obtained in one of the draft rounds.

Actually, I would think any rookie drafted in the first four rounds should be considered a non-counting keeper for the first four years a team has them including if they were received in a trade. If they hit the waiver wires then they are UFAs and should not be eligible for this exception.

This would help out rebuilding teams. I recall at one point having Zion, MPJ, Bamba, and Herro. Ended up dropping Bamba because he wasn't being developed and Herro because well it wasn't clear whether he or Robinson were going to be used by the Heat.

It's a bummer you draft these young guys and don't get rights to them for a least a typical NBA rookie scale contract.

Edit: Players like Wiseman is a good example too. Another injured player on a playoff-caliber team that should be under the control of the manager who drafted him for four years before a keeper designation is required.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#95 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 6, 2022 1:26 am

Under this proposed scenario there is no way we should have more than 1 rookie/2nd year not counting as a keeper. If you are rebuilding fine, but you're likely to get a top 4 pick which could really change your fortunes. But a super raw guy you think might pan out you may want in that extra "keeper" spot that you can't play.

With the draft so deep, most everyone will give a rookie or two a shot because there simply are not that many good vets available when your draft doesn't include 120 guys.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#96 » by Qwigglez » Thu Oct 6, 2022 2:47 am

We could do something as simple as just updating this board if someone has a guy designated as their development player that is in their 1st or 2nd year that they drafted or picked up via free agency. They don't have to necessarily be on your roster on Yahoo, and if someone else picks that player up via Yahoo, just let them know to check the board and that that player is already on a roster? Something to that affect. I'm not sure if the commissioner of the league has the power of placing players who are on the free agency list as not being eligible to be picked up.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 852

Post#97 » by Desertfox » Thu Oct 6, 2022 6:35 pm

How about adding another team for the G-league players? Your player goes into that team so he doesnt show up on yahoo and you also cant play him.

Only 1st and 2nd year players are eligible for G-league, you can promote and send down a 1st year player only once. You cannot do so for a 2nd year player. You can
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#98 » by sunskerr » Thu Oct 6, 2022 7:24 pm

Qwigglez wrote:We could do something as simple as just updating this board if someone has a guy designated as their development player that is in their 1st or 2nd year that they drafted or picked up via free agency. They don't have to necessarily be on your roster on Yahoo, and if someone else picks that player up via Yahoo, just let them know to check the board and that that player is already on a roster? Something to that affect. I'm not sure if the commissioner of the league has the power of placing players who are on the free agency list as not being eligible to be picked up.

I dont have the power to make FAs ineligible to be picked up, but I do have power to drop players added by any team. I think bwgood77 does too as vice commish, so we can enforce any "g-league" policy ourselves. Idk if we can roll back scoring if anyone happens to place a "g-leaguer" on their starting lineups, but we can always remedy that with a penalty (which we also might need to discuss).

Desertfox wrote:How about adding another team for the G-league players? Your player goes into that team so he doesnt show up on yahoo and you also cant play him.

Only 1st and 2nd year players are eligible for G-league, you can promote and send down a 1st year player only once. You cannot do so for a 2nd year player. You can

interesting solution. We could just call that extra team the "g-league" and keep everyone benched so it accumulates 0 points. Wouldn't impact the standings aside from 17 points being the max in a cat instead of 16.

Also, please lmk if you've submitted your keepers on yahoo
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 6, 2022 8:14 pm

sunskerr wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:We could do something as simple as just updating this board if someone has a guy designated as their development player that is in their 1st or 2nd year that they drafted or picked up via free agency. They don't have to necessarily be on your roster on Yahoo, and if someone else picks that player up via Yahoo, just let them know to check the board and that that player is already on a roster? Something to that affect. I'm not sure if the commissioner of the league has the power of placing players who are on the free agency list as not being eligible to be picked up.

I dont have the power to make FAs ineligible to be picked up, but I do have power to drop players added by any team. I think bwgood77 does too as vice commish, so we can enforce any "g-league" policy ourselves. Idk if we can roll back scoring if anyone happens to place a "g-leaguer" on their starting lineups, but we can always remedy that with a penalty (which we also might need to discuss).

Desertfox wrote:How about adding another team for the G-league players? Your player goes into that team so he doesnt show up on yahoo and you also cant play him.

interesting solution. We could just call that extra team the "g-league" and keep everyone benched so it accumulates 0 points. Wouldn't impact the standings aside from 17 points being the max in a cat instead of 16.

Also, please lmk if you've submitted your keepers on yahoo

I don't think we should get into G league players (particularly if they are there for 1 year insteady of college) or college players because you are killing the draft. MAYBE 2nd year G league players that are unsigned but I think we should stick to 1st or 2nd year players for those spots if we do it, add an extra bench spot and just make sure teams do not play those guys, as best we can by honor system. We keep track of on google sheet too and if someone drops their guy to pick up a replacement for that spot or in the next draft they let people know in thread and on google sheet.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#100 » by sunskerr » Thu Oct 6, 2022 8:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I don't think we should get into G league players (particularly if they are there for 1 year insteady of college) or college players because you are killing the draft. MAYBE 2nd year G league players that are unsigned but I think we should stick to 1st or 2nd year players for those spots if we do it, add an extra bench spot and just make sure teams do not play those guys, as best we can by honor system. We keep track of on google sheet too and if someone drops their guy to pick up a replacement for that spot or in the next draft they let people know in thread and on google sheet.

Im not talking about g league players but rather referring to the potential new policy as "g-league". sorry for the confusion.

Also, idk if managers should be able to use their prospect spot on more than 1 player per year. i.e. you get to designate one prospect, and that's it - even if you drop that player you cannot add another one to your prospect spot until after the following season's draft/during the draft or whatever. just 1 player designated per year. or maybe there's no real impact if its once per year or not. what do you think?

Return to Phoenix Suns