WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Re: KD to the Suns 

Post#61 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:04 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
The Pistons and Mavs beg to differ....is Tatum that much better than Book? SA/MIA swapped championships.

Anyway, if healthy, yes, we have a better chance now. Still a ton of teams in the mix. Luka/Kyrie is still a dynamic duo as is AD/LeBron with their new guys and George/Kawhi and that isn't even counting DEN, MEM and the Pelicans when Zion is back.

Even if we are he favorites, it's no better than say a 25% chance. Before the trade today the Celtics were the favorites at 26% chance.
Pistons and Mavs? That's like over a decade ago and that's two examples since like the **** 90s. Oh and the Mavs did have Dirk who was an all time great.

Booker is maybe borderline of the level of guy you need to win a championship, KD is absolutely that guy.

Super duper stars win championships in the NBA. That's just a thing. I understand this is a risky move but the suns absolutely have a better chance at a championship now than they did 24 hrs ago. It's a 2-3 year window.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, this trade is super risky. Our '27-'29 draft picks could (should?) be high lotto picks, unless we're able to re-tool around DA and Booker. Hard to replace Paul - even harder to replace Durant.

If we don't win a chip this year or next, that's a big L. Apparently, Ishbia's a gambler.

The only way for Ishbia to keep this squad competitive is to spend boatloads of cash: overpaying players, buying draft picks, signing multiple prospects, taking on salary in trades, using all FA exceptions, huge luxury tax bills... all of it. Because it's not like we can do a quick rebuild once KD expires, since we lack picks. If he meant what he said yesterday - that he wanted success over the long-term - there's no other option.

Whether we succeed or fail, this man's wallet's about to bleed.
Oh I think Ishbia is going to absolutely throw money at this team. To me this cements the notion hes not going to treat this like some mid market team, he wants to play with the big boys. That in itself is exciting.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Seattlesun
Head Coach
And1: 359

Post#62 » by Seattlesun » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:12 pm

Was up all night after this one. Losing Kal Feels like when that gf you actually liked in high school broke up with you and you no longer get to hang out with her bff who was really cool too. Im looking at it like this:

- Throw out the FRPs, non lottery nba picks are not that valuable. The suns picks for the next several years were always gonna be late 20’s of 1st round. Let them go.
- Jae didnt play a second and didnt prove to have any worth to the rest of the league. No real loss at all.
- Suns traded Cam for TJ. Somewhat lateral move.
- That leaves trading Kal for Durant. Everyone, everywhere, every time says yes to that.

Oversimplifying? Perhaps, but Im on board. Go Suns! Give me a reason to go spend a couple weeks in June in my hometown in the desert. Too rainy here in Seattle in June.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,101

Post#63 » by garrick » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:34 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:It's a star driven league and KD is one of the all time greats. Going to be fun watching him. You need the best player on the floor to win a championship. This is the ultimate championship or bust move. I like it.

If we traded for a 32 year old KD even this might have been worth it but he's 34 and clearly on the decline as evidenced by last years playoffs when KD struggled to get to his spots against a much younger Boston team and just looked a step slow in their playoff defeat.

The fact that we gave up 4 UNPROTECTED picks is just inexcusable as well, how can you not put any sort of protection on any of those picks? If this move backfires we will be in a tough spot in a couple years with no draft picks and having KD's massive salary on the books. :banghead:
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Post#64 » by Phystic » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:29 pm

Seattlesun wrote:Ive been rooting for the suns since I was a little boy listening to Al Mccoy describe Alvan Adams work at the high post and Walter Davis dropping middies before middies were cool. Ever since, the suns have had many great teams with great dudes to root for. But what dont they have?

Be careful, the years can fly by rooting for great fun dudes like Kal and Cam with lots of wins and occasional mid playoff runs. One day youll wake up like me and wish just once the Suns had moved all in and won the dam ‘chip. Like they did tonight. Kal is top 10 cool Sun of all time. No one will miss him more than me but this team was never gonna be more than just nice. Now, they could win it all. And that really needs to happen. Now, it can

Basically how I feel. Suns were fun and good, Bridges/Cam were super low maintenance and genuine, however after decades of being a Suns fan and all the heart breaks. I'm willing to be crappy for awhile if it means winning a ring.

We haven't had a FO that was willing to go all in since JV and Barkley
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Post#65 » by sunsbg » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:37 pm

Teams used to put some protection on picks. Doubt Nets say no, if Suns asked for a top 1 protection on those later picks.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,095

Post#66 » by Calvin Klein » Thu Feb 9, 2023 6:05 pm

sunsbg wrote:Teams used to put some protection on picks. Doubt Nets say no, if Suns asked for a top 1 protection on those later picks.

Nets knew Ishbia was desperate for a big move. They asked for everything and they got it.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,907

Post#67 » by Damkac » Thu Feb 9, 2023 6:15 pm

Suns MUST win championship this year or the next one. Otherwise this may end as one of the worst trades in the history. Those million unprotected draft picks may end up worse lose than Cam and Mikal if Suns fail to retool post CP and KD. Oh and Crowder is gone too so no option to use him to upgrade the bench. Nets really must have no interest in Ayton as I'm sure that if they had asked for him Suns would give him too.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#68 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:03 pm

4 unprotected picks and a swap is a lot, but Suns have just paid the price for a legit 3 season championship window. Helps immeasurably that the Western conference is so wide open. If the Suns make 2 finals and win a title during the window nobodies going to be upset about losing a 2029 first rounder.

Success also breeds more success. The franchise under Ishbia will also gain a lot more prestige which will be a factor in future trades and free agency. Suns have just become a legit destination now for ring chasers and buyout guys.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,761

Post#69 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:38 pm

Word is that Kyrie is trying to land in Phoenix next season.

I'm warning yall now. Don't.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#70 » by Biff » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Word is that Kyrie is trying to land in Phoenix next season.

We don't have the cap space. I don't see how we could pull that off.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#71 » by Biff » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:03 pm

If we get lucky and health is on our side, we win this trade because we'll likely bring home at least 1 ring. It's fairly high risk high reward.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#72 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:07 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:4 unprotected picks and a swap is a lot, but Suns have just paid the price for a legit 3 season championship window. Helps immeasurably that the Western conference is so wide open. If the Suns make 2 finals and win a title during the window nobodies going to be upset about losing a 2029 first rounder.

Success also breeds more success. The franchise under Ishbia will also gain a lot more prestige which will be a factor in future trades and free agency. Suns have just become a legit destination now for ring chasers and buyout guys.
This. We have to stop thinking like this is a middle market franchise because I don't think Ishbia is thinking like that.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

KD to the Suns 

Post#73 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:20 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:4 unprotected picks and a swap is a lot, but Suns have just paid the price for a legit 3 season championship window. Helps immeasurably that the Western conference is so wide open. If the Suns make 2 finals and win a title during the window nobodies going to be upset about losing a 2029 first rounder.

This. We have to stop thinking like this is a middle market franchise because I don't think Ishbia is thinking like that.

I’m getting the idea, Ishbia wants this to turn into Miami West for the Suns franchise. Very bold, risky but smart move.

I’m not sure who is the true cornerstone of the Suns but KD will never defer to Booker or Paul there. So, be wary of the mistake of retooling under a star’s consent. From what I understand, Kyrie could end up in Phoenix within the next 2 years if no LA.

Kyrie and KD are genuine best friends. The fact they will constantly see each other will only drive the urge to reunite again. Their relationship drove Harden out as a factor. It’s extremely unique. It’s like two kids in elementary school.

Kyrie wanted to join Phoenix as an option since the Cavs trade. It’s been floating since this summer. They will make it happen if the Suns win.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,626

Post#74 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:21 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:For now if healthy this trade helps us...but...

Our future was booker, cam, mikal, ayton

Now it's just Booker and Ayton...

Since we traded our draft picks I'm guessing we are going full free agency to fill the gaps...makes sense since mat is willing to spend money or so he says...

I think our future now is a free agent landing spot and little to no home grown talent.

Gok can find us all the best free agents now instead of draft picks lol

No, GoK will focus on our 2nds and hope we buy a few seconds each year and find some UDFAs.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#75 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:23 pm

Are you a Nets fan or Suns fan or KD fan? I see your Suns logo but also see you posting last night on Nets board as "we".
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#76 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Word is that Kyrie is trying to land in Phoenix next season.

We don't want to but what do we do. CP3 is 38. I wouldn't trade Ayton for him but if Kyrie is going to walk from the Mavs anyway, it seems trading CP3 and Craig for him would be ok. Not sure if the Mavs would have cap space if Kyrie walks...if they would they'd probably rather let him walk than take CP3 back, but CP3 is not guaranteed in year 3 which is next year (though I think may have to be picked up prior to when you can trade) and has a team option in 4th year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:27 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

At some point the repeater tax will not be bearable I imagine. He is not insanely rich relatively speaking in comparison to other owners. Hundreds of millions in tax bills is a lot. Now if he is turning a massive profit it may not matter but not sure if he will.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#78 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Are you a Nets fan or Suns fan or KD fan? I see your Suns logo but also see you posting last night on Nets board as "we".

I'm a nets fan but KD is my favorite player. I still can't fully process that our incompetent FO traded someone like KD with 3+ years left on his contract, even after all the boneheaded moves they've made in the past 2 seasons so I'm rocking the Suns logo till KD gets a chip in Arizona.

So I'd say I'm a suns fan by default now. It's not like the Suns and Nets fandom will clash with each other anytime soon. BKN is in the East and playing for the play-ins for the immediate future
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:34 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I'm a nets fan but KD is my favorite player. I still can't fully process that our incompetent FO traded someone like KD with 3+ years left on his contract, even after all the boneheaded moves they've made in the past 2 seasons so I'm rocking the Suns logo till KD gets a chip in Arizona.

So I'd say I'm a suns fan by default now. It's not like the Suns and Nets fandom will clash with each other anytime soon. BKN is in the East and playing for the play-ins for the immediate future

Yeah, I imagine many Suns fans will kind of pull for the Nets too given they have Bridges and Cam.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#80 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:35 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

At some point the repeater tax will not be bearable I imagine. He is not insanely rich relatively speaking in comparison to other owners. Hundreds of millions in tax bills is a lot. Now if he is turning a massive profit it may not matter but not sure if he will.
Money is only one aspect, it's also about finally acting like this is a destination. Which is absolutely is now that Sarvers idiot ass is gone.

Return to Phoenix Suns