ImageImageImage

Jordan Goodwin thread!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,393

Jordan Goodwin thread! 

Post#1 » by Mr Puddles » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:30 am

First off, I'd like to apologize for this thread title.

But, we received another player in today's trade who doesn't have his own thread yet:

Jordan Goodwin

Good (point of attack) defender who plays with a lot of energy and hustle, but has inconsistent offense. Undrafted player who carved out a role with the Wizards last season. He'll be duking it out with Josh Okogie for the hustle award this season.
Spoiler:
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,291

Re: Goody goody! 

Post#2 » by King4Day » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:11 pm

Maybe just add (Jordan Goodwin discussion) to the end of the thread title. I do like the thread title though :)

I haven't watched my on him yet and I'm sure we'll all find the positives. Read he was a converted 2 way player signed to a very reasonable deal. Low risk, high reward. Perhaps he's our Cam Payne replacement.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,296

Post#3 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:30 pm

Sounds like a 2k generated player. Hopefully he can thrive
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,482

Post#4 » by sunskerr » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:22 pm

Seems super under the radar. Not a lot of word on how Wizards fans feel about him being included yet.

No first impressions yet either from me. Although some here know I love my hustle guards like Smart, Caruso, Okogie, etc.. so this is a pleasant surprise.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,015

Post#5 » by Saberestar » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:52 pm

Jordan Goodwin shot 32% from 3 last season.

26% when a defender was within 6'
39% when he was "wide open"

per nba .com

Read on Twitter
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#6 » by sunskerr » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:17 pm

Asked for a brief on the Wizards board and received this reply:

80sballboy wrote:Good defender. Tough and physical player. Not great athlete or shooter, but isn't a bad shooter. Pretty unselfish. Going to do the dirty work. Doesn't mind throwing his body around and taking charges. A poor man's Marcus Smart.

Thanks to 80sballboy for the response.

So it looks like we have a guy with the potential to be a role player for us, at least decently more so than castoffs like Baz and Todd. If he fulfills his potential he should compliment Okogie well since Okogie plays up to the 3.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,015

Post#7 » by Saberestar » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:48 pm

The 6’3”, 200-pound guard with a 6’10” wingspan is exactly the kind of player I imagined when head coach Frank Vogel talked at his intro presser about wanting to be a scrappy team.

Goodwin had two games with at least five steals, which is one more than all Suns returners combined. His wingspan mixed with high motor really make him one of the better point of attack defenders the league has.

He averaged 2.6 steals per 100 possessions while taking care of the ball well; only 57 turnovers in over 1100 minutes (2.95 assist-to-turnover ratio). In seven games as a starter last season, he averaged 12.4 points (42/31/67 shooting), 3.6 rebounds, 5.6 assists, and 2.3 steals per game.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2023/6/19/23765634/jordan-goodwin-washington-wizards-is-the-cherry-on-top-of-the-phoenix-suns-fleece-job-in-beal-trade
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,216

Post#8 » by sunsbg » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:01 pm

WAS fans in that thread on their board basically confirm what is apparent from the YT clips - Goodwin is an NBA player, Todd is not. Between Saben Lee and Goodwin Suns have nice young players as 3rd string PGs with potential for more.
Dr Manute
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#9 » by Dr Manute » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:34 pm

Maybe Payne is expendable now. Only $2 mil of his $6.5 mil is guaranteed. His contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by June 29, 2023. This would be a good trade chip to a team looking to cut salary.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#10 » by TASTIC » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:33 pm

I own him in this 30 team dynasty league so did a deep dive last year on his stats and highlights. Really stepped up when he got the chance for minutes and managed to stick in the rotation late. Elite rebounder for his size - last 2 seasons in College he averaged a double double. As others have said, elite steals guy too with good instincts and a really good counting stats guy. Played 17 games of at least 24min and put up 10.8pts 4.7reb 4.5ast 2.0stl 0.6blk 1.2to and 1.2x 3s.

Basically think PJ Tucker but in a guard's body and playing that hectic Bruce Brown role. Can hit 3s but not a massive threat there, great team chemistry guy and the player who will leave it all on the floor the most with effort. More a SG than a PG - but that's fine next to Booker.

HEAPS of vids here...

Very likable dude, hope he sticks and gets minutes!
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#11 » by TASTIC » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:50 pm

Didn't realise Beal's been buds with him since he was 14!
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,795

Post#12 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:38 am

Saberestar wrote:
Jordan Goodwin shot 32% from 3 last season.

26% when a defender was within 6'
39% when he was "wide open"

per nba .com

Read on Twitter

This and point of attack defense is really all you need as a starting PG next to Book/Beal/KD.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,795

Post#13 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:42 am

Dr Manute wrote:Maybe Payne is expendable now. Only $2 mil of his $6.5 mil is guaranteed. His contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by June 29, 2023. This would be a good trade chip to a team looking to cut salary.

He should be expendable but I'd imagine they retain CP just because he knows how to play alongside Book, has good playoff experience now and overall has far more high level experience than any other 3rd string guard we're likely to sign or is already on the roster.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,201

Post#14 » by garrick » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:31 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Dr Manute wrote:Maybe Payne is expendable now. Only $2 mil of his $6.5 mil is guaranteed. His contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by June 29, 2023. This would be a good trade chip to a team looking to cut salary.

He should be expendable but I'd imagine they retain CP just because he knows how to play alongside Book, has good playoff experience now and overall has far more high level experience than any other 3rd string guard we're likely to sign or is already on the roster.

Payne at this contract is an excellent value. No need to trade him unless there is some significant upgrade at PG and looking at the list of free agents I don't see any in our price range.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,216

Post#15 » by sunsbg » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:49 am

garrick wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Payne at this contract is an excellent value. No need to trade him unless there is some significant upgrade at PG and looking at the list of free agents I don't see any in our price range.

Imagine both CP and DA getting back to '21 form. Dreams are free.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 pm

Was bored last night so was watching some YouTube stuff on this dude not going to lie I'm irrationally optimistic about him. Guy has good size for a PG and plays with an edge. I love me those try hard types and I think there's enough skill level to be a rotation player.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#17 » by sunskerr » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:14 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Was bored last night so was watching some YouTube stuff on this dude not going to lie I'm irrationally optimistic about him. Guy has good size for a PG and plays with an edge. I love me those try hard types and I think there's enough skill level to be a rotation player.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Yes I'm definitely feeling some good vibes coming from everything we've heard about him. Glad to see another person who loves the defensive hustle type of guards. Love that we can pair him with Okogie who is a really, really great defender now and they don't really overlap in the lineup despite the similar heights.

Boston is a team I think that has really great asset management and team building skills. I really like what they did with Smart, White, and Pritchard. Just some solid defensive guards that compliment their wing creators. Obviously White/Smart/Pritchard is better than Goodwin/Okogie but I hope we will see similar sort of suffocating defense. Maybe another offseason and Goodwin/Okogie take a step.

And maybe we can flip Payne's expiring for Delon Wright...Then we have Wright/Goodwin/Okogie which is AMAZING. Ok, maybe I'm going to far with the defensive guard thing and we end up in the same scenario Boston was in last year with their log jam. Forcing Okogie to play SF full time would be cruel.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,882

Re: Jordan Goodwin thread! 

Post#18 » by Qwigglez » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:58 pm

Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,947

Post#19 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:06 pm

Why I like him:

- 6.7 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 1.9 steals, 0.8 blocks per 36
- 52% from corner 3s
- 71% at the rim
- elite on ball defender with 6'10 wingspan
- can bring the ball up to start sets as PG
- prime age turning 25
- perfect fit for Vogel scrappy defensive team

basically ultimate role player for our big 4

what we hoped Okogie to be - better shooter with higher 3PT% in just his rookie year with an even higher steal percentage
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,192

Post#20 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:09 pm

Qwigglez wrote:

How much are drake tickets these days?

Could probably use those to pay for college...

Return to Phoenix Suns