Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,758

Welcome Toumani Camara 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:48 am

Read on Twitter

Not mentioned in tweet, can hit 3s..over 36% in college.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Re: Welcome Toumani Camara 

Post#2 » by Saberestar » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:51 am

Measured 6′ 7.00” barefoot, 8′ 11.00” standing reach, 220.4 lbs and a 7′ 0.50” wingspan and a 28.5 inch standing vertical and a 33′ inch max vertical at the 2023 NBA Draft Combine.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/toumani-camara/
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#3 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:53 am

I know nothing about the player but I like the profile. You need dirty work dudes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,181

Post#4 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:56 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Not mentioned in tweet, can hit 3s..over 36% in college.

Mmmm I question guys that cant hit FTs... and even though he shot the 3 ball better each year hes a career 31% 3pt shooter in college...

The good news is he got better each year... But I wouldn't be optimistic about him knocking down 3s in the NBA.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,268

Post#5 » by Bogyo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:57 am

Poor mans Brandon Clarke?
Looking at the profile... better wingspan, less overall talent? Hasn't really been on the radar as far as I remember...
# waiting for the next chapter
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,209

Post#6 » by sunsbg » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:16 am

Looks very versatile - windmill dunks, 3s, apparently solid passing and defense. Sounds like a jack of all trades, master of none, but we'll have to wait and see if Suns find him a role.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#7 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:17 am

Just based on his age alone, this looks like a JJ pick
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#8 » by Bogyo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:38 am

GoK?
What (future) hall of famer is this guy like? :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,915

Post#9 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:50 am

Bogyo wrote:GoK?

Well, he's solid and versatile. Pretty much a slightly lesser version of/ poor man's version of Larry Nance Jr/ Otto Porter Jr. He's going to be a decent contributor for us. Probably a 12th-15th level rotation contributor if he develops well. But honestly, he's too small for a power-forward role and would be best suited at the 3 for a versatile good but not great 6'8 combo forward. People will like him and find his energy plays encouraging. But overall, it's a fairly significant miss by passing on Jackson Davis who was still on the board at 52, and would offer a much bigger immediate significant impact for us. As fair as I can be about this, I'd give this draft selection a solid C+.

Just check out this comparison between the two for perspective on how we whiffed a bit here again!
https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=toumani-camara--trayce-jackson-davis
He's just not big/ strong enough to offer the same impact that we really need off the bench, But again, I'll try to keep an open mind due to his two-way versatility and high IQ. But he definitely fits Jones' mold of a versatile good but not great non-elite prospect. Considering this may be our last 2nd round (cost controlled) pick for the next decade, we really needed greater value. But I'll keep an open mind and give him a shot here before passing full judgement. :wink:
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#10 » by Bogyo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:55 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Just based on his age alone, this looks like a JJ pick

Not a bad thought actually. If I take it one step further and try to find a silver lining here (or make an excuse for JJs general laziness / indifference for the draft): we only have a few end of first round draft picks until 2031 basically.
The good thing: those are the "best" assets going forward, as they are cheap, yet you get to keep the player for (basically) 8 years - unlike early seconds which are harder to keep that long. Who do you draft there as a contender? Proven, older guys, high floor, low cieling types who can help you right away, at least in the regular season. 22-24 year old dudes. If they pan out, you get to keep them in their prime, as they will be with you until they are 30+ for sure. Lets see how this goes...
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#11 » by Bogyo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:00 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Bogyo wrote:GoK?

Well, he's solid and versatile. Pretty much a slightly lesser version of/ poor man's version of Larry Nance Jr/ Otto Porter Jr. He's going to be a decent contributor for us. Probably a 12th-15th level rotation contributor if he develops well. But honestly, he's too small for a power-forward role and would be best suited at the 3 for a versatile good but not great 6'8 combo forward. People will like him and find his energy plays encouraging. But overall, it's a fairly significant miss by passing on Jackson Davis who was still on the board at 52, and would offer a much bigger immediate significant impact for us. As fair as I can be about this, I'd give this draft selection a solid C+.

Just check out this comparison between the two for perspective on how we whiffed a bit here again!
https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=toumani-camara--trayce-jackson-davis
He's just not big/ strong enough to offer the same impact that we really need off the bench, But again, I'll try to keep an open mind due to his two-way versatility and high IQ. But he definitely fits Jones' mold of a versatile good but not great non-elite prospect. Considering this may be our last 2nd round (cost controlled) pick for the next decade, we really needed greater value. But I'll keep an open mind and give him a shot here before passing full judgement. :wink:

Thanks. I like your comps fwiw.
I'm not big on second round dudes, but TJD does look much more solid in comp... but not surprised honestly...JJ, what can we say :( Hopefully our guy pans out better, and (kinda) covers for the loss of fast-declining Craig (who was one of my favs honestly, i know how irrational that is).
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#12 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:11 am

https://nbadraft.theringer.com

Scroll down to 58. 'Shades of Torrey Craig' Funny I thought that same comp watching two videos.

This is really all I care about and what he needs to bring to stay in the league

'Well-rounded defender and rebounder for his position. He’s smart, he’s tough, and he has good instincts. In a switch-heavy scheme, he’d thrive, since he’s capable of both tracking shooters off screens and battling stronger players.'

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,476

Post#13 » by sunskerr » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:02 am

First impression is that this is pretty solid. Obviously you don't have expectations with 2nd rounders but it's difficult to have too many wings, and he's a bigger one at 6'8" and already has some muscle being an older player out of college.

Don't know anything about college ball but the selection/his profile seems like it makes sense given where we are.

Would've liked an athletic switch big (any 6'9" quick footed centers out there??) but part of me thinks at some point in the draft especially in the 2nd round, when you have no depth like we do on the bench, you can just take BPA (any position) and pray they turn into a rotation guy. So maybe Jones had this guy as BPA and if so I'm happy with that.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,915

Post#14 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:56 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#15 » by Saberestar » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:02 am

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,322

Post#16 » by Frank Lee » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:38 am

Did they actually draft someone GoK didnt profile? :lol:
What ? Me Worry ?
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#17 » by darmani » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:45 am

That footwork on defense is very impressive
Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#18 » by Saberestar » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:50 am

Scouting report from O'Connnor:

Big man skills in a wing’s body with a developing 3-point shot.

PLUSES
Versatile offensive role player capable of playing in an inverted scheme because he’s such an attentive cutter, willing screener, and savvy player. In a condensed role, he’d have intriguing upside playing like a big out of short rolls.

Skilled finisher who’s comfortable at the rim with either hand. He can also dunk with ease without needing much time or space.

Improving shooter who made 40.4 percent of his 89 open catch-and-shoot 3-point attempts over two seasons with Dayton, per Synergy. However, he shot just 25.5 percent on 47 attempts when guarded, which raises questions about his true ability.

Well-rounded defender and rebounder for his position. He’s smart, he’s tough, and he has good instincts. In a switch-heavy scheme, he’d thrive, since he’s capable of both tracking shooters off screens and battling stronger players.

MINUSES
Elementary ball handler who shouldn’t be asked to do much creation. He accordingly doesn’t have much midrange game with pull-ups and floaters.

Negative assist-to-turnover ratio. Dayton asked him to do more as a decision-maker than he’ll need to do in the NBA though.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft/
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#19 » by darmani » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:58 am

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,282

Post#20 » by King4Day » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:16 pm

Saberestar wrote:Image

Was this real? Did he really show up at the draft?
If so, we must have given him a promise, so he knew going wasn't going to be foolish. Kinda cool to see those later picks get to come on stage like that.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley

Return to Phoenix Suns