Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Re: Welcome Jusuf Nurkić 

Post#21 » by Saberestar » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:48 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
RTG HD wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He played next to Jokic for a few years on the Nuggets and they have always had a healthy rivalry between them.

Nothing healthy about their rivalry. It is absolute hate between them. I am hoping Nurk is healthy for you guys and he finally gets the better of Jokic in the playoffs. Best of luck to both the Suns and Bucks next season, I would love to see both in the finals.

thats not true, both nurk and jokic said it

theyre not friends, but theres no hate between them at all, they always greet and have a chat, maybe a drink behind the scenes

That's what I thought about it.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#22 » by AtheJ415 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:52 am

Saberestar wrote:New starting C for the Suns.

29 years old. 7 footer, 280 pounds. The guy is huge.

He knows how to play ball. Good passer, nice post moves, very good, very good screener/passer for handoff and has added lately a nice 3p shot.

Defensively he used to be a positive player but in the last couple of years his lack of mobility made him worse in that side of the floor. Hopefully that changes with Vogel as his HC.

Interesting detail here...Nurkic is one of the best Cs in the league to contain Jokic.

He played next to Jokic for a few years on the Nuggets and they have always had a healthy rivalry between them.

He very much better not be starting. Eubanks is just better. Has been for a bit.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#23 » by Saberestar » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:18 pm

There’s a belief with Frank Vogel’s defensive scheme and a renewed motivation amid a fresh start with a championship contender, Nurkic can be a difference-maker for Phoenix.

“Before Nurkic got injured, he was a good defensive center and was Portland’s second-best player ahead of CJ McCollum for a short time,” an NBA scout told HoopsHype.

“I think it might be asking too much of him to return to his pre-injury form, but he can help them if he’s properly motivated and healthy with dribble handoffs and as a positional defender.”

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rumors-damian-lillard-giannis-antetokounmpo-jrue-holiday-jerami-grant-deandre-ayton-jusuf-nurkic/
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#24 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:37 pm

How many minutes can he play in playoffs?

If Jokic plays 40 he has to be able to play 36.
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#25 » by KdoubleDees23 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:38 pm

Y’all remember Nurkic tweeting and laughing at Suns picking up Bradley Beal???? Saying Brooklyn situstion all over again!
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#26 » by Saberestar » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:58 pm

The top 10 bigs in Rim Deterrence % last season

1. Rudy
2. Zubac
3. Embiid
4. Brook
5. Nurkic
6. Watford
7. Turner
8. Gafford
9. Kessler
10. Mobley

1000 minute min
2023 reg season
Rim Deterrence % looks at how much less a team attacks the rim when a player is in the game

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#27 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:02 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:How many minutes can he play in playoffs?

Id play him like 18 minutes to use his 6 fouls liberally and then Id play small and try to outscore Denver.

No one stops Joker when he's rolling, no one.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,125

Post#28 » by sunsbg » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:27 am

Stolen from another board. Poster is probably a Blazers fan.

Positives:
-Rebounding (always in top of the league)
-Interior D (not a shot blocker per se, but uses his enormous body very well, and is smart defender).
-Passing (for a center, he can and will make ridiculous passes to cutters).
-screen setting (very UNDERRATED trait of his, one of best in nba - he made life very easy for Portland guards every night).
- decent shooter (last year he upped his 3 to 36 percent).
-size (both on O and D)...dude is just huge.
-good guy/personality on and OFF the court.
-does not back down (he even had scrimmish with KD once that will have to be ironed out haha).
- generally plays very good against JOKIC (or, better than average center lets say). Whether its their history in Denver, coming from same school of basketball, or similar size/built, whatever.

Negatives:
- athleticism (after broken leg, he has gotten a step slower and sometimes willingly choses layups over dunks to preserve legs).
-as a result, is sometimes not as good around the rim as could be (chooses finesse over power, so it looks soft)
- talks to refs waaay too much.
- injury risk (although a BIT overblown - people just bring up stats without realizing he was FORCED to sit out 30+ games laat 2 seasons for tanking).

I hope the last part is true and he manages to stay healthy. If healthy he should be great against DEN and MIL(vs Lopez, we have no answer for Giannis). Maybe after getting spanked by Balkan boys in last three playoffs(Giannis, Luka, Jokic) getting one of those is a good sign. :wink:
MPT
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#29 » by MPT » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:11 am

enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,320

Post#30 » by enigmatics » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:13 pm

While lacking the same athleticism and a step slower than DA - from the mechanics and fundamentals of basketball Nurkic is a better player overall, not to mention a heck of a whole lot tougher.

It's going to be so different watching a center operating at the top of the free throw line who doesn't rely on triple pump jump shots/fadeways and rub passes. This guy can distribute the ball from multiple spots on the court and step out from 3 if needed.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#31 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:17 pm

Yeah his dad is an absolute mountain of a man.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,107

Post#32 » by Showdown » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:49 pm

Nurkić is still great both offensively and defensively when he is focused and don't play in a nonchalant way and fact that he will play competitive basketball on a team that is contender will help him stay focused. Players that Suns have in starting lineup are better than almost all players that he played with in Portland so that will also help him plays better and enjoy playing with that kind of teammates.

He became a bit underrated by casual Portland fans in last 2 seasons because they blamed him for things that were bad but also for things that aren't there and they didn't appreciated things that he did that were good because he was Blazers best rebounder,he always did a lot of thing that can't be measured by stats,Lillard scored more and was more efficient when was on court with Nurkić, team played better when Nurkić was on the court, he was their defensive anchor in all years he played for them and although Portland drafted and signed a lot of players on his position during those years he was always better than any of his replacements plus they never had good perimeter defense so he always had to fix mistakes of their guards or mistakes caused by their bad effort on defense.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#33 » by phx#7 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:07 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:How many minutes can he play in playoffs?

Id play him like 18 minutes to use his 6 fouls liberally and then Id play small and try to outscore Denver.

No one stops Joker when he's rolling, no one.

Yeah, all this talk about having guys defending Jokic is reminiscent of trying to have guys to defend Shaq back in the day. You're not going to win that battle, best thing to do is be able to attack him and limiting the rest of that team.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,125

Post#34 » by sunsbg » Mon Oct 2, 2023 9:11 pm

Nurkic picked number 20. Ouch. Of so many others he had to choose the Suns bust-player number - Archie, Josh, Saric. People compared him with the later, so I guess quite fitting.

Also some strange Qs in his interview, had to talk about the mid season tournament and guns.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#35 » by spanishninja » Tue Oct 3, 2023 5:20 am

Found this highlight package from Nurk this past season. supposedly there's a part 1 somewhere but i couldnt' find it yet. this guy clearly still knows how to play, and like I said in the offseason main thread, he can still move when healthy.

Take note in particular the section of video where they showed his blocks. i counted 3 of them against a certain #15 from Denver.

lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#36 » by lonea » Tue Oct 3, 2023 2:39 pm

spanishninja wrote:Found this highlight package from Nurk this past season. supposedly there's a part 1 somewhere but i couldnt' find it yet. this guy clearly still knows how to play, and like I said in the offseason main thread, he can still move when healthy.

Take note in particular the section of video where they showed his blocks. i counted 3 of them against a certain #15 from Denver.

Haha I love the first two clips are him posting up ayton :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,100

Post#37 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:05 pm

spanishninja wrote:Found this highlight package from Nurk this past season. supposedly there's a part 1 somewhere but i couldnt' find it yet. this guy clearly still knows how to play, and like I said in the offseason main thread, he can still move when healthy.

It's strange that DA can't drive the ball but Jusuf, apparently, can. Never seen Ayton use the Eurostep. Makes sense that Nurk does. He's Bosnian, after all.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#38 » by bigfoot » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:21 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

It's strange that DA can't drive the ball but Jusuf, apparently, can. Never seen Ayton use the Eurostep. Makes sense that Nurk does. He's Bosnian, after all.

He's very agile and slippery around the basket. His spin move is legit. Bully ball is the real deal with Nurk. His smart playmaking in the high post is exactly what the doctor ordered.

His handles are a bit loose which explains the turnovers. Also I can see he likes the flipper from 3-10 feet. Would be nice if he could improve his percentages on that or just cut back on the attempts. That is the weakest area of his shooting range.

Offensively he could score 20 on any given night. I could see a 13 point, 11 rebound, 4 assist season out of him.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#39 » by spanishninja » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:47 pm

bigfoot wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

He's very agile and slippery around the basket. His spin move is legit. Bully ball is the real deal with Nurk. His smart playmaking in the high post is exactly what the doctor ordered.

His handles are a bit loose which explains the turnovers. Also I can see he likes the flipper from 3-10 feet. Would be nice if he could improve his percentages on that or just cut back on the attempts. That is the weakest area of his shooting range.

Offensively he could score 20 on any given night. I could see a 13 point, 11 rebound, 4 assist season out of him.

from what I can tell, his movements are a lot more surefooted than some of Ayton's. we've seen how DA would randomly hurt his ankle sometimes, is it possible that this is due to him being unsure about taking contact when navigating the court?
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#40 » by Saberestar » Fri Oct 6, 2023 5:28 pm

Return to Phoenix Suns