Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Re: Welcome Jusuf Nurkić 

Post#81 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:30 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
enigmatics wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:Bit worried so far he looks to be a spectator around the rim on defense, hope he's just getting use to things.

Too early for that. He's still learning Vogel's defense and the Big 3 weren't playing to help with rotations. That being said he's looked a step slower than normal because of it.

I'd wait a good 15-20 games into the reg season for better insight.

Sure wait 20 games until you realize Nurk is indeed a step slower than you'd want, and a spectator on defense.

We aren’t too worried now about Nurkic. Everyone realizes that Nurk has another gear once playoff rolls around. Meanwhile, Ayton was stuck on one gear since college days. Nurk will be a huge surprise when we reach the finals. MARK MY WORDS!!!
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,796

Post#82 » by darealjuice » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:41 pm

Nurkic's positioning and rotations will improve as he plays more under Vogel, and having KD on help side will shore up things around the rim a bit. No one should expect Nurkic to be a big rim protector though.

Not like our center giving up layup lines will be a new thing for us lol.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#83 » by enigmatics » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:07 pm

darealjuice wrote:Nurkic's positioning and rotations will improve as he plays more under Vogel, and having KD on help side will shore up things around the rim a bit. No one should expect Nurkic to be a big rim protector though.

Not like our center giving up layup lines will be a new thing for us lol.

I think some people need to re-watch the game from last night.

He obviously doesn't have the quickest feet for a 5 in the NBA and he lacks lift due to his prior leg injury from a few years ago, BUT he still impacts shots and the fundamentals are all still there. I believe a stat was previously posted about that in one of the threads a few weeks ago as well.

Due to the team he's now playing on and it's likelihood of high octane scoring - they will likely be able to afford a few mismatches he gets pinned on in some matchups. Keep in mind there's no way Vogel & Co. let it persist for too long before trotting out the "Nuclear 5" small ball unit.

All the positives outweigh the negatives imo. A quality 25-35 mins a night are coming the Suns way and from a guy who doesn't pigeon-hole them on offense like self-InflAyton used to. What we saw last night is the reason the Suns made the trade - just a better fit thru and thru without the stench of a failed #1 draft pick looming over yet another season to distract them from the ultimate goal.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#84 » by bigfoot » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:24 pm

Nurk's IQ at the 12:00 minute mark (7:20 game time) shows the big difference between him and DA. He recognizes the KD mismatch super early in the shot clock and demands the ball in the high post, then points KD to the low post position, gives him an entry pass, and then pulls his man away from the play by trotting to the weak side for a possible rebound. This high IQ will also translate to the defensive end. Just watching the game you can see the synergy between KD and Nurk. They assisted each other numerous times during the first half.

https://basketball-video.com/phoenix-suns-vs-portland-trail-blazers-oct-12-2023-nba-preseason-full-game-replay
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,946

Post#85 » by Saberestar » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:22 pm

A "back pocket" thought of mine for Nurkic in playoff play, was executed between him & Little before the half

Simons wants access to Nurkic, so, after prior communication, the Suns "pre-switch" on the roller

That screen now see's a switch, & the deemed advantage is neutralized.

Read on Twitter
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#86 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:01 pm

Interesting play we'll try to keep Nurkic as the rim protector I'm sure teams will try exploit, in that play he wasn't really guarding anyone so the corner was open.

Hopefully it's like a Chris Paul situation where he took 15 games to be the real Chris Paul.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,162

Post#87 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:11 pm

usual suspects are nowhere to be seen after nurk performance against portland (in which ayton also played)

but im sure they will be back in full force after the next game that nurk doesnt play well or ayton plays well

they have made up their mind about this trade and it will stay that way no matter what
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,439

Post#88 » by dremill24 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Saberestar wrote:
A "back pocket" thought of mine for Nurkic in playoff play, was executed between him & Little before the half

Simons wants access to Nurkic, so, after prior communication, the Suns "pre-switch" on the roller

Read on Twitter

It's funny i remember the Suns trying this against Luka in the playoffs 2 yrs ago (of course waited til game 3) and they looked like a buncha kindergarteners fumbling around like they'd never seen or practiced something like it before. Obviously theres counters an offense can employ but they couldnt even get the basic version right to get Dallas to have to adjust to it. Thats when i decided i was kinda out on Monty.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,388

Post#89 » by Golanator » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:20 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:usual suspects are nowhere to be seen after nurk performance against portland (in which ayton also played)

but im sure they will be back in full force after the next game that nurk doesnt play well or ayton plays well

they have made up their mind about this trade and it will stay that way no matter what

Nurk is awesome. Love the fit.

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#90 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:57 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:usual suspects are nowhere to be seen after nurk performance against portland (in which ayton also played)

They hate us cause they ain’t us
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Post#91 » by sunsbum » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:42 pm

you should see the cliffs some of these posters refuse to back off of…it’s a pattern. To be fair to them they are some of the greatest basketball minds on the forums…right here on the suns board!!
I hate this team.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Post#92 » by sunsbum » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:47 pm

Saberestar wrote:

Read on Twitter
I love posts like this, it’s little nuances you don’t see in real time that really show off good defensive IQ from the coach and player.
I hate this team.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#93 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:22 am

sunsbum wrote:

you should see the cliffs some of these posters refuse to back off of…it’s a pattern. To be fair to them they are some of the greatest basketball minds on the forums…right here on the suns board!!

Should create a Gofundme so we can fund a new Mt Rushmore dedicated to those basketball geniuses
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,101

Post#94 » by garrick » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:14 pm

Interesting talk from Gerald Bourguet and Sean Highkin.

Some interesting insights on Nurkic and what he can bring to the team as well as his personality etc.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#95 » by bigfoot » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:42 pm

garrick wrote:

Some interesting insights on Nurkic and what he can bring to the team as well as his personality etc.

LOL ... he's DEADNRE to me
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#96 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:19 pm

garrick wrote:

Really great listen. More insight into the DA stuff, how it turned sour and ultimately why we made the decision to move on which just so happens to be something both parties wanted. It was also nice to hear a little more about Little and also how we felt about trading Camara.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,101

Post#97 » by garrick » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:20 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
garrick wrote:

Really great listen. More insight into the DA stuff, how it turned sour and ultimately why we made the decision to move on which just so happens to be something both parties wanted. It was also nice to hear a little more about Little and also how we felt about trading Camara.

Yeah I feel like Gerald is the only enjoyable part of the PHNX show to be honest and well Lindsay but Saul and Espo just don't provide much except a whole lot of noise.

Don't even get me started on Flex lol
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,259

Post#98 » by Bogyo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:26 am

garrick wrote:

Anyone has the time (and cares enough) to sum up the 3-5 most important thoughts in this? I am intrested, but not 55 minutes intrested... tx
# waiting for the next chapter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#99 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:48 am

garrick wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
garrick wrote:

Yeah I feel like Gerald is the only enjoyable part of the PHNX show to be honest and well Lindsay but Saul and Espo just don't provide much except a whole lot of noise.

Don't even get me started on Flex lol

Love that Lindsey is back on Phoenix Suns stuff after I believe Sarver dropped her and a bunch of other people. And yes, Bourget is fantastic. Saul is...fine. The others not so much. I have a particularly strong dislike for Espo, always have. Not a fan of Flex at all either
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#100 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:36 am

Bogyo wrote:
garrick wrote:

Anyone has the time (and cares enough) to sum up the 3-5 most important thoughts in this? I am intrested, but not 55 minutes intrested... tx

It's been about half a day since I listened so a lot of the Nurk/Little stuff didn't really stick but the DA stuff did.

- DA began to sour on the Suns because he felt he did enough (and what was asked) to get paid that summer following the Finals run.

- Apparently Monty shouted "You freakin quit on the team!" after DA refused to reenter the game in the G7 of the Mavs series.

- DA felt after he did enough of what was asked, he should become more of the focal point of the offense. Not so much #1 option but #2 above CP3. Gerald mentioned Mikal was probably higher on the hierarchy than DA on offense which made sense given his skillset.

- Mentioned DA lacked some of that maturity you ideally want on a contender. He mentioned what DA wanted his role to be was in conflict with what everyone else on the Suns wanted.

- Mentioned DA wanted to do a bunch of stuff on offense but just didn't have the requisite skill set to actually pull it off during games so naturally, his role on offense was limited to what we saw. Never developed a handle, never developed post moves outside of the hook shot and settles for mid rangers too often.

- Mentioned it was maybe a bit unfair in that DA never got the opportunity to fully develop his offensive skillset but our timeline was fast forward when CP3 was brought in and we were going for a championship almost immediately. We maximised him the way we thought we should in order to compete.

- Gerald heard conflicting info on whether DA did indeed ask for a trade or not but said either way, a trade was the natural conclusion.

- Mentioned there were some faults on both sides with regards to the previous summer where DA and Monty didn't talk but if DA just played better more often, it would've been something that could've been nipped in the bud. But when Book/CP3/Monty are all cutthroat competitors and DA is not of that mindset, it really stood out.

- Following the point above, mentioned DA is a really great guy but him not being locked in mentally, ie he doesn't live and breath basketball like Book/KD, that created a clash of personalities.

There's a bunch more and it's only the first 20min or so. It's definitely worth a listen. Essentially, the reason for the Suns and DA parting ways could probably be summarised by 3 points:

1. DA wasn't happy with his role and the fact that we didn't pay him until he got the Indy offer despite doing what he was asked.
2. DA never developed some key skills that would've allowed him to have a bigger role on the offense and his inconsistency and maturity made his faults harder to overlook.
3. All the key people on the team over the last few years like CP3, Book, KD, are all hoopers and they didn't vibe with DA because he's not that. That likely extends to Jones, Monty and probably Ishbia too.

Anyone else that listened can correct me if I got any points wrong. Mostly going by memory

Return to Phoenix Suns