ImageImageImage

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 4 - A Rocky Start

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Which 2 teams in the top 4 scare you the most in a playoff series?

Clippers
52%
Nuggets
37%
Thunder
9%
Timberwolves
2%

Total votes: 46

matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 4 - A Rocky Start 

Post#1 » by matt131 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Isiah Thomas was apparently at Suns practice today…
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 3 - Post Free Agency Discussion 

Post#3 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:38 pm

matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah he's Mats buddy so he'll be around. I don't love it but if that's the trade off for not Sarver I'll take it.

And hey I get it, Mat grew up in Michigan during Thomas' time there so I'm sure it's cool having your childhood hero as a friend.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,143

Post#4 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Oct 5, 2023 9:02 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah he's Mats buddy so he'll be around. I don't love it but if that's the trade off for not Sarver I'll take it.

And hey I get it, Mat grew up in Michigan during Thomas' time there so I'm sure it's cool having your childhood hero as a friend.

Yeah its not a big deal... Im sure hes got ishbias ear but people act like hes littlefinger or something...
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#5 » by spanishninja » Thu Oct 5, 2023 9:03 pm

hmm interesting

https://www.si.com/nba/nuggets/news/denver-nuggets-star-suffers-minor-injury

seems minor for your typical player, but this is MPJ we are talking about. would be a shame if he missed significant time.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,254

Post#6 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Oct 5, 2023 10:36 pm

I never realized how charismatic Brad Beal is. I think he's a great personality fit next to KD and Booker.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#7 » by enigmatics » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:01 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:I never realized how charismatic Brad Beal is. I think he's a great personality fit next to KD and Booker.

Every single person he worked and played with absolutely loved him in DC.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,276

Post#8 » by Slim Charless » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:18 pm

enigmatics wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I never realized how charismatic Brad Beal is. I think he's a great personality fit next to KD and Booker.

Every single person he worked and played with absolutely loved him in DC.

Scooping him for free helps the feelings over the absolute shalacking we took in the KD and Ayton trades. I think there's a very good chance Beal will be our 2nd leading scorer. KD should be taking a step back and making sure he stays healthy for the playoffs.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#9 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:26 pm

Didn't watch any Okogie interviews last year and I found that to be the same with him as well. Both dudes seem to be really genuine when talking to media.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#10 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 6, 2023 12:03 am

I think Clippers will get Harden.

Has there ever been so many stacked teams in the NBA with big 3s or big 4s?

Boston, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Clippers, GSW and then there's the champs Denver.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#11 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 12:14 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Hope Nurkic played good defense

Setting expectations but he won't be much good if he gets hunted on PnR's but the hope there is with bigger and longer defenders around him and a solid drop defense scheme, it would be more manageable when it comes to covering for his lower footspeed. In the paint, I'm fairly confident in his defensive skillset and awareness.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 6, 2023 12:18 am

What about this if Covington gets moved in a Harden deal, we trade Allen for Covington?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#13 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 12:32 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:I think Clippers will get Harden.

Has there ever been so many stacked teams in the NBA with big 3 or big 4s?

Boston, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Clippers, GSW and then there's the champs Denver.

Celtics to me feel like the most dangerous team of the lot. Picking up Jrue without giving up White is a helluva move and I'm glad they are on the East. I actually like the Celtics roster a tiny bit more than ours because KP could be a real X-factor. Zinger looked great last year on the Wizards and he's also healthier than he's been since pre-injury. The addition of Jrue replaces a lot of what was lost on the defensive with the Smart trade but they certainly got better offensively because Jrue is comfortably better than Smart on that end of the court and he has championship experience.

Milwaukee with Dame is dangerous but I put them a tier below the Celtis. Warriors, I'm not there yet until I see how they integrate CP3 and/or trade for a true star. Clippers as well, I'm not quite there yet with their health issues, diminishing depth year on year and Lue having half a foot out the door. I'm likely to get some flack but the Nuggets even with Jokic playing like a top 5 player over the last decade feel like they've taken a step back.

I'd go something like this based purely on roster talent

Tier 1: Celtics
Tier 2: Suns, Bucks, Nuggets
Tier 3: Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Grizz
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#14 » by sunskerr » Fri Oct 6, 2023 12:46 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Celtics to me feel like the most dangerous team of the lot. Picking up Jrue without giving up White is a helluva move and I'm glad they are on the East. I actually like the Celtics roster a tiny bit more than ours because KP could be a real X-factor. Zinger looked great last year on the Wizards and he's also healthier than he's been since pre-injury. The addition of Jrue replaces a lot of what was lost on the defensive with the Smart trade but they certainly got better offensively because Jrue is comfortably better than Smart on that end of the court and he has championship experience.

Milwaukee with Dame is dangerous but I put them a tier below the Celtis. Warriors, I'm not there yet until I see how they integrate CP3 and/or trade for a true star. Clippers as well, I'm not quite there yet with their health issues, diminishing depth year on year and Lue having half a foot out the door. I'm likely to get some flack but the Nuggets even with Jokic playing like a top 5 player over the last decade feel like they've taken a step back.

Yeah thats exactly how the projections/rankings should look.

I agree Celtics look like the best team. There is one weakness though which is depth. They're only 6 deep for sure. It will be up to Pritchard/Hauser to develop, and maybe Wenyen Gabriel (an active big man they'll hope can fill in for Robbo). They've got a big 4 heck maybe that's a big 5 if you like advanced stats darling Derrick White. Also lets be real that KP for Smart + Picks was a swindle in terms of talent. Smart is a great defender but he is a role player and KP is a star. Wizards just wanted out.

I think we are technically better than the Bucks and Nuggets by a bees dick. Beal is our edge in talent. But we can't discount the Nuggets - Jamal Murray could be a real superstar. Just have to check his playoffs numbers to see that. Jokic could be hiding a lot of Murrays real talent in the regular season. They certainly didn't improve in terms of quantity of good players though.

Agree the Lakers/Clippers/Warriors/Grizz are their own tier below. The teams above should not be fearing them provided good health. I think the Grizz could have a chance at being the best in that group though.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#15 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:53 am

Yeah Beals always been viewed as a really good dude, he was really involved with the community in Washington too.

He's definitely no Harden or Kyrie personality wise and that's why I agree I think he's the right type of personality to play with KD and Booker.

Speaking of team personalities I feel like they might need the tough guy vocal leader type like a Crowder or PJ Tucker. Maybe Nurk can kind of fill that or one of the other role players.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:56 am

I just don't trust Boston has the guy to finish it off offensively, I would be happy to defend them, Tatum if you make him shoot jumpers and don't foul can go very cold.

White - Beal
Holiday - Booker
Brown - Bates-Diop
Tatum - Durant
Porzingis - Nurkic
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#17 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 2:31 am

sunskerr wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Celtics to me feel like the most dangerous team of the lot. Picking up Jrue without giving up White is a helluva move and I'm glad they are on the East. I actually like the Celtics roster a tiny bit more than ours because KP could be a real X-factor. Zinger looked great last year on the Wizards and he's also healthier than he's been since pre-injury. The addition of Jrue replaces a lot of what was lost on the defensive with the Smart trade but they certainly got better offensively because Jrue is comfortably better than Smart on that end of the court and he has championship experience.

Yeah thats exactly how the projections/rankings should look.

I agree Celtics look like the best team. There is one weakness though which is depth. They're only 6 deep for sure. It will be up to Pritchard/Hauser to develop, and maybe Wenyen Gabriel (an active big man they'll hope can fill in for Robbo). They've got a big 4 heck maybe that's a big 5 if you like advanced stats darling Derrick White. Also lets be real that KP for Smart + Picks was a swindle in terms of talent. Smart is a great defender but he is a role player and KP is a star. Wizards just wanted out.

I think we are technically better than the Bucks and Nuggets by a bees dick. Beal is our edge in talent. But we can't discount the Nuggets - Jamal Murray could be a real superstar. Just have to check his playoffs numbers to see that. Jokic could be hiding a lot of Murrays real talent in the regular season. They certainly didn't improve in terms of quantity of good players though.

Agree the Lakers/Clippers/Warriors/Grizz are their own tier below. The teams above should not be fearing them provided good health. I think the Grizz could have a chance at being the best in that group though.

I like White a lot. I think the guy just plays basketball the right way (no surprise coming up under Pop) and yes, I thought both the KP and Jrue trade were absolute no brainers. All this talk about the Celtics being involved or potentially having a solid package to offer the Blazers for Dame and I thought they got the better fit with Jrue. Their depth is an issue but I think they are really one more solid vet away from being decent in that area which they could possibly add in the buyout market. Similar to us when we signed all of free agents on day 1 of free agency but lacked that proven productive vet until we signed Gordon.

I think overall talent wise, between the Suns, Bucks and Nuggets, it's close enough it's not worth trying to separate them. As you said, bees dick. Grizzlies has a good chance to move into that 2nd tier imo. I think Smart is a great fit on that team. Couple of gritty veteran defenders in Adams, Smart and DPOY JJJr. But they go as far as Ja takes them and if he doesn't have his ish together, they are going out early again like last season.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 6,001

Post#18 » by kennydorglas » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:00 am

yeah this Boston team is spicy as well.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#19 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:08 am

Book on Monty:

"I could be here all day talking about coach Mont and what he's done for me, and for my career. In the search for stability through my career, I finally found it."
"Coach Mont did things and changed the culture like no one ever has so big respect to Monty."

Book on Nurk:

"He's a beast, he can play make, his IQ for a big is off the charts and he talks. He communicates with you, tells you what he sees, what he thinks and everything is collaborative. Somebody who knows the game like that, knows rotations, knows how to play. I listen to him and try to implement it."

"He can read a play before it develops. He can be the secondary PG as well if teams trap me and he plays in that pocket. It's a clean exchange, he catches it, it's right to the corner or he punishes the smaller defender under the hoop"

Book on Grayson:
"He plays hard. High school class of 2014 so I've known him since I was 15-16 years old. So to watch his game grow and continue to grow, it's impressive. "
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#20 » by Crives » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:42 am

I would be terrified of Boston if we were in the east…. But I think it’s close to 0% chance Zinger is healthy by the finals. I’m taking Book/KD/Beal over Jrue/Tatum/Brown…. But our depth really pushes us over the edge

Return to Phoenix Suns