OT - Video Games

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

OT - Video Games  

Post#1 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:09 pm

Looking for some game suggestions.

I love 4x type strategy games and have played the hell out of Civ6 and Old World (very underrated game). Looking to grab a game or two from the current big holiday Steam sale.

I'm leaning towards turn based over RTS, I know there's a pause button and I would probably get used to RTS but I'm often burning cannabis and distracted with **** while playing so turn based seems more my style.

I recently tried Crusader Kings 3 but ended up returning it because I couldn't get into the RTS flow.

What I'm considering
Age of Wonders... Either grabbing Planetfal for really cheap and playing that first to make sure I like the title OR just buying AoW4 right away and jumping in from there. Games look cool

Humankind - looks very civ-ish which I guess is both a positive and negative for me

Total war franchise- either the new Warhammer or one of the recent historical. Probably won't go this route but it might be a good gateway to RTS since I believe the battles are real time.

Anno 1800- I love history so this game is appealing but from the reviews it might be a little too micro managy for me. I don't mind complicated or some empire micro but I also don't want it to feel like I'm a part time accountant while playing.

Thoughts or suggestions or games I might be missing?

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,017

Re: OT - Video Games 

Post#2 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:52 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Looking for some game suggestions.

I love 4x type strategy games and have played the hell out of Civ6 and Old World (very underrated game). Looking to grab a game or two from the current big holiday Steam sale.

I'm leaning towards turn based over RTS, I know there's a pause button and I would probably get used to RTS but I'm often burning cannabis and distracted with **** while playing so turn based seems more my style.

I recently tried Crusader Kings 3 but ended up returning it because I couldn't get into the RTS flow.

What I'm considering
Age of Wonders... Either grabbing Planetfal for really cheap and playing that first to make sure I like the title OR just buying AoW4 right away and jumping in from there. Games look cool

Humankind - looks very civ-ish which I guess is both a positive and negative for me

Total war franchise- either the new Warhammer or one of the recent historical. Probably won't go this route but it might be a good gateway to RTS since I believe the battles are real time.

Anno 1800- I love history so this game is appealing but from the reviews it might be a little too micro managy for me. I don't mind complicated or some empire micro but I also don't want it to feel like I'm a part time accountant while playing.

Baldur's Gate 3!

I have spent like 50 hours just in the first act out of 3 acts. I need to go back to it. It's fantastic, but SO MANY good games all came out around the same time. Too many games to play and too little damn time. :(
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#3 » by bigfoot » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:55 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Looking for some game suggestions.

What I'm considering

You should try out Clash Royale (CR). It's actually quite good in terms of a game that is PvP but not so intense like the 3-D shooter crap. I could never handle the super fast pace of the latter but CR is a hybrid of fast-slow that I can handle quite well at age 60. I've been top 10000 in the world and have toyed with the idea of getting a coach to make some improvements.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,143

Post#4 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:59 am

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#5 » by Qwigglez » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:48 am

grumpysaddle wrote:Baldur's Gate 3!

I have spent like 50 hours just in the first act out of 3 acts. I need to go back to it. It's fantastic, but SO MANY good games all came out around the same time. Too many games to play and too little damn time. :(

I haven't played in probably close to 6 weeks or so, and barely got to Act 3. I restarted like 3 times maybe. I finally decided on enjoying a certain build and made it to act 2 and got to a certain part and realized I made what I thought was a very innocuous decision fairly early in the game... only to come to the realization that it greatly affects something in Act 2. So then I quit playing because I didn't like the ripple effect. Also because of school. I'll probably restart again. I want Minthara as my companion though :evil:
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 674

Post#6 » by Hitachi77 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:49 am

Just here to recommend Elden Ring. It’s nothing like the games mentioned here at all, but I feel like anyone who doesn’t give a Souls game a try for 10 hrs is missing out.

Why 10 hours? Because you will die a lot in the beginning and need to learn the nuances of combat to really understand what it’s all about.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Post#7 » by sunsbum » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:22 am

those are like the only type of games i don't play. have you tried xcom?
I hate this team.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#8 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Appreciate all the follow up.

Elden Ring and BG3 and two games I've considered but it just feels like a hell of a time commitment to learn.

I ended up trying Age of Wonders 4 but my laptop really struggled with it so I returned it and grabbed a few deep discounted older games, Xcom2 (thanks for the recommendation), endless legend, and Total War Shogun.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#9 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:33 pm

Lana Del Rey
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,262

Post#10 » by King4Day » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:14 pm

Metroid is my all-time favorite franchise, so the most recent one (dread) is up there if you like side scrollers.
I'm a fan of the Assassin Creed style games as well.

Honorable mention, Far Cry 5 (6 was a massive disappointment)
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#11 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:23 pm

King4Day wrote:Metroid is my all-time favorite franchise, so the most recent one (dread) is up there if you like side scrollers.

I loved Metroid as a kid, I should get that for my kids switch. We've been playing the recent Mario game.

I tried one of the assassin creed games on the switch and felt like the controls were super funky so stopped playing but meant to go back at some point. I had just spent months playing the new Zelda game though so probably would have gotten used to it.

King4Day
RealGM

Post#12 » by King4Day » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:47 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
King4Day wrote:Metroid is my all-time favorite franchise, so the most recent one (dread) is up there if you like side scrollers.

I loved Metroid as a kid, I should get that for my kids switch. We've been playing the recent Mario game.

I tried one of the assassin creed games on the switch and felt like the controls were super funky so stopped playing but meant to go back at some point. I had just spent months playing the new Zelda game though so probably would have gotten used to it.

Mario Wonder was fun but was so short and simple. I wish they'd do a brand new "Super Mario World" but make it twice as big. Still the best Mario side scroller to date IMO.

Tears of the Kingdom was fun but you really need to take the time to learn it and have patience because it's not a simple game and there are so many mechanics that you cannot play it mindlessly.
Example: I never practiced how to parry until I was forced to at one point in the game. Many months after first starting it. I was stuck for so long until remembering it was a mechanic in the game. So, learning it in order to progress was aggravating :)
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#13 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:47 am

King4Day wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Mario Wonder was fun but was so short and simple. I wish they'd do a brand new "Super Mario World" but make it twice as big. Still the best Mario side scroller to date IMO.

Tears of the Kingdom was fun but you really need to take the time to learn it and have patience because it's not a simple game and there are so many mechanics that you cannot play it mindlessly.
Example: I never practiced how to parry until I was forced to at one point in the game. Many months after first starting it. I was stuck for so long until remembering it was a mechanic in the game. So, learning it in order to progress was aggravating :)

I wanted to like Breath of the Wild so bad and actually bought a Switch just for it, but it just didn't do it for me after like 20 hours. Never ended up even trying TOTK because I was so disappointed with BOTW and after watching a bit of someone streaming I was just like 'meh, looks too much like the same thing with a few new mechanics'.

Also, playing an Assassin's Creed game on the Switch sounds like it would be painful visually.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#14 » by King4Day » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:13 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
King4Day wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I loved Metroid as a kid, I should get that for my kids switch. We've been playing the recent Mario game.

I wanted to like Breath of the Wild so bad and actually bought a Switch just for it, but it just didn't do it for me after like 20 hours. Never ended up even trying TOTK because I was so disappointed with BOTW and after watching a bit of someone streaming I was just like 'meh, looks too much like the same thing with a few new mechanics'.

Also, playing an Assassin's Creed game on the Switch sounds like it would be painful visually.

Tears of the Kingdom was a grind for me. It took me months to finally get through it as it's simply not my style of game.
I bought the switch with the promise there was a Metroid Prime 4 coming, but that fell through. So I played Breath of the Wild and then let my Switch sit for a couple years. Found myself playing the SNES and NES online games more than anything new.

I never tried AC on Switch. Only on Xbox. So not sure how that'd be.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#15 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:00 pm

King4Day wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Tears of the Kingdom was a grind for me. It took me months to finally get through it as it's simply not my style of game.
I bought the switch with the promise there was a Metroid Prime 4 coming, but that fell through. So I played Breath of the Wild and then let my Switch sit for a couple years. Found myself playing the SNES and NES online games more than anything new.

I never tried AC on Switch. Only on Xbox. So not sure how that'd be.

I play punch-out and super punch-out on the rare occasion I turn my Switch on. Also need to go back and finish Metroid Dread. I was enjoying it a lot before I just stopped playing for some reason.

Now I'm just playing super modded out Starfield on PC. I have a 3060 and with mods it runs surprisingly well at 4k.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:05 pm

An older and under the radar game I really liked playing on the Switch was Hades. It's a button mashing dungeon crawler/rogue like game. Just really well out together and fun. Highly recommend if you are looking for a hidden gem.

grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#17 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:27 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:An older and under the radar game I really liked playing on the Switch was Hades. It's a button mashing dungeon crawler/rogue like game. Just really well out together and fun. Highly recommend if you are looking for a hidden gem.

I loved it on my ps5. Played it a ton and beat it a few times through but not enough to beat it beat it. Lol.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#18 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:29 pm

I also have Spider-Man 2 to get back into, along with jumping back into Lies of P and Lords of the Fallen. Then BG3 like I said earlier, and Armored Core 6 to get back into. I wish I had more time. Stupid work getting in the way.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#19 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:31 pm

And with all those great games, Alan Wake 2 was the game of the year for me. It was next level story telling for a "horror" game and looked unbelievable on my ps5 into my new LG C3 65" tv.
Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 701

Post#20 » by Kyler Murray » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:04 pm

Wife bought me a ps5 recently so excellent topic WG. I've played GoW 3, AC odyssey, guardians of the galaxy, Spiderman miles morales so far. Also have the ps plus premium. Any can't miss games I should check?

Return to Phoenix Suns