ImageImageImage

Game 21: Suns @ Lakers - IST Quarters

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 674

Re: Game 21: Suns @ Lakers - IST Quarters 

Post#321 » by Hitachi77 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 11:05 pm

Sheesh guys. Game 1 vs the Lakers, on the road, we only had KD and almost won. Game 2 we had KD and a clearly injured Beal, almost won. This game we did have KD and Booker and it was a tightly fought game, again on the road.

I can understand being worried about tight games but acting like the Lakers own us is crazy. Just like we wouldn’t be puffing our chest out if we beat them twice without AD playing.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 359

Post#322 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Wed Dec 6, 2023 11:16 pm

I'll be the annoying positive voice that says cut our turnovers in half and we easily win and the biggest factor in our turnovers/lazy passes is lack of familiarity. We will be fine after these guys play together more.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#323 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 11:36 pm

Hitachi77 wrote:Sheesh guys. Game 1 vs the Lakers, on the road, we only had KD and almost won. Game 2 we had KD and a clearly injured Beal, almost won. This game we did have KD and Booker and it was a tightly fought game, again on the road.

I can understand being worried about tight games but acting like the Lakers own us is crazy. Just like we wouldn’t be puffing our chest out if we beat them twice without AD playing.

It just tells me we still have a lot of room for improvement. Absolutely disgusting first quarter with 9 turnovers (league average for an entire game is 14), Nurk got into early foul trouble and AD got everything he wanted in the paint and EG was out there for over 9min and didn't take a single shot. It was just a poor poor first quarter.

But we didn't lose control of the game, we rallied back, stayed within striking distance and 3min into the 2nd half, we were tied. We had a shot to tie it at the end and unfortunately it didn't touch iron but given the time was running out, given KD was 2 of 3 from deep in the 4th quarter, given his shot making at that very spot....can't really argue with who was taking the shot.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Post#324 » by sunsbum » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:02 am

The scariest thing about this team is that if we don't figure it out by the deadline we're kinda stuck in the mud. We can't really make any trades. I don't mind point Book but I'd also prefer to have a real point. I feel like we play too slow for the squad that we have.
I hate this team.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,435

Post#325 » by dremill24 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:17 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
It was actually a ballsy 3 by Reaves. If he missed he would be getting killed for not running more clock.

They were going to be giving the ball back for another possession no matter how much time they used up. Sure its ballsy but he went for the one scenario that would ice the game and Allen didnt prevent the one scenario that would do that.

Also, with Reeves you are much more worried about the jumper than the drive. Allen relaxed and then was surprised when he faked the drive and flew back allowing the open 3. If he was just focused and defending the entire time because the game is on the line he is up on him. It was a mental error / lazy play and yes it killed us just like all the turnovers.

We just play stupid basketball way too much of the game.

After watching it again, there was a screen from AD immediately prior. This almost makes it worse for me, because its the continued symptom where these guys dont know how they are covering things. Allen got screened and defaulted to switching onto AD and temporarily left Reaves. KD gave like a quarter-step to show at Reaves but never really left AD. Then Allen had his "oh sh**" moment but it was too late cause neither guys was covering for that single game-losing scenario. Sad times...
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,017

Post#326 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:56 am

Lol, the L2M report says the only missed calls favored the Suns. You can't make this sh*t up.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,413

Post#327 » by Puff » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:53 am

sunsbum wrote:The scariest thing about this team is that if we don't figure it out by the deadline we're kinda stuck in the mud. We can't really make any trades. I don't mind point Book but I'd also prefer to have a real point. I feel like we play too slow for the squad that we have.

I agree with take.

If we count on our big three to be distributors, I think we are in trouble.

Assist to turnover ratios for our big three careers.

Book 4.8 assists 3.1 TO's 1.5 ratio
KD 4.4 assists 3.2 TO's 1.4 ratio
Beal 4.3 assists 2.5 TO's 1.7 ratio

Book this year 8.2 assists 3.1 TO's 2.5 ratio

I believe the guide to being good is a 3.0 ratio.

All three of these guys are great scorers. I just do not trust them to be great decision makers in the 4th quarter.

If we get the same number of shots to the opponent we have a great chance in winning.

Convince me I am wrong.

Tuesday's game puzzles me.

We took 27 less shots than the Lakers 75 to 102

We had 20 turnovers to the Lakers 9 a difference of 11.

We had 44 rebounds to their 45 a difference of 1.

That makes a total of 12 yet they took 27 more shots. Are not all 2nd chance rebounds counted? They had a crap load of those.

It really is amazing that the game was that close. Durrant was fantastic when we wasn't turning it over. Nurkic and Book for the most part were MIA's
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,723

Post#328 » by Revived » Thu Dec 7, 2023 9:49 am

Puff wrote:My favorite team is ANYONE playing the Lakers, especially if it is the Phoenix Suns who are playing them.

Monty Williams from 2020 thru 2023 including playoffs 12 wins five losses versus the Lakers. Still hated the 5 losses but enjoyed the 12 wins.

With our championship coach Frank (no adjustments ever in the 4th quarter) Vogel - we are 0 and 3.

I can put up with losing 2 games to the Spurs, who can't beat anyone, but I cannot stand to lose to the Lakers anytime anywhere.

It is probably a good thing we lost, as we probably would have got rolled by New Orleans. I will be rooting for Willie Green to take care of the business that was above the skill level of our championship coach.

There are only two teams I don’t like in the NBA and it’s the Spurs and Lakers. I despise both. I don’t care about other teams as much in terms of if they win or lose.

And of course Suns are what 0-5 against Spurs and Lakers this season lol.
Revived
RealGM

Post#329 » by Revived » Thu Dec 7, 2023 9:51 am

Read on Twitter

Sums it up pretty well. What is concerning is that Frank Vogel hasn’t at all talked about a plan to actually limit these turnovers that Suns have a massive issue with against good teams. Whenever he’s asked about it in post game interviews, I feel like he brushes past it like it’s no big deal.
Revived
RealGM

Post#330 » by Revived » Thu Dec 7, 2023 9:59 am

Hitachi77 wrote:Sheesh guys. Game 1 vs the Lakers, on the road, we only had KD and almost won. Game 2 we had KD and a clearly injured Beal, almost won. This game we did have KD and Booker and it was a tightly fought game, again on the road.

DroughtsOverPHX wrote:I'll be the annoying positive voice that says cut our turnovers in half and we easily win and the biggest factor in our turnovers/lazy passes is lack of familiarity. We will be fine after these guys play together more.

We can talk all day about excuses and if he cut down turnovers and if we had Beal and if we had this and if we had that then we would’ve won. Bottom line on all this “if” stuff is to follow what Devin Booker himself has said in the past.

Read on Twitter

And yes, this is a real quote

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Sure it’s nice that the Suns season isn’t over. But it just shows that even after back to back to back of not being able to get it done when the pressure’s on and there’s more at stake, the team still basically chokes. I mean wasn’t this the reason we blew up the entire team in the past 9 months?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#331 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:59 am

grumpysaddle wrote:Lol, the L2M report says the only missed calls favored the Suns. You can't make this sh*t up.

Idiotic

1. You can't recover/secure the ball with your leg. Not a valid "possession of ball"
2. Lakers didn't have possession when Lebron motioned to the ref to call a timeout
2. The ball was already 3ft behind Book before the refs even thought about making the call
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#332 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 9:44 pm

Puff wrote:
sunsbum wrote:The scariest thing about this team is that if we don't figure it out by the deadline we're kinda stuck in the mud. We can't really make any trades. I don't mind point Book but I'd also prefer to have a real point. I feel like we play too slow for the squad that we have.

I agree with take.

If we count on our big three to be distributors, I think we are in trouble.

Assist to turnover ratios for our big three careers.

Book 4.8 assists 3.1 TO's 1.5 ratio
KD 4.4 assists 3.2 TO's 1.4 ratio
Beal 4.3 assists 2.5 TO's 1.7 ratio

Book this year 8.2 assists 3.1 TO's 2.5 ratio

I believe the guide to being good is a 3.0 ratio.

All three of these guys are great scorers. I just do not trust them to be great decision makers in the 4th quarter.

If we get the same number of shots to the opponent we have a great chance in winning.

Convince me I am wrong.

Tuesday's game puzzles me.

We took 27 less shots than the Lakers 75 to 102

We had 20 turnovers to the Lakers 9 a difference of 11.

We had 44 rebounds to their 45 a difference of 1.

That makes a total of 12 yet they took 27 more shots. Are not all 2nd chance rebounds counted? They had a crap load of those.

It really is amazing that the game was that close. Durrant was fantastic when we wasn't turning it over. Nurkic and Book for the most part were MIA's

That's why I've always like Tyus Jones. I'm not sure how he'd fit but Memphis usually had a better record with him than Ja, and he has an 8-1 ast/to ratio. It's always been super high. I think his 3 pt shooting dropped off a bit but his 2pt shooting is good.

But our only avenue is trading Little and a couple of minimum guys or Little and Allen. So it would help turnovers but hurt 3pt shooting.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Post#333 » by sunsbum » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:42 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sums it up pretty well. What is concerning is that Frank Vogel hasn’t at all talked about a plan to actually limit these turnovers that Suns have a massive issue with against good teams. Whenever he’s asked about it in post game interviews, I feel like he brushes past it like it’s no big deal.

What is Frank Vogel going to do about all these lazy passes and slop jack turnovers? This is on the team.
I hate this team.

Return to Phoenix Suns