NBA Draft 2024

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,635

Re: AZ Wildcats on FOX right now - College Basketball & the 2024 NBA Draft 

Post#21 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:This is the best Wildcat game I’ve seen in quite a while. The last 10+ minutes was dramatic there might be a double overtime coming up.

Yeah, this has been crazy, but not looking great now. They keep getting down. Hopefully they can come back one last time...and as I type that Boswell hits a 3 after being 1-7 from 3.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#22 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:48 pm

Caleb Love had a regular layup easy but had to try that reverse layup. Bad miss.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#23 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:51 pm

What a terrible shot to take when down by 1.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,639

Post#24 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:04 pm

bwgood77 wrote:What a terrible shot to take when down by 1.

Yeah, some shot selections were flat out bad down the stretch. But without Caleb Love there would be absolutely no double OT. I needed this because the suns have been struggling and this game was insane and super dramatic. Now AZ will drop down to 7-8 in takings, but since UConn lost we might drop down to 5 or 6.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:52 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:What a terrible shot to take when down by 1.

Yeah, some shot selections were flat out bad down the stretch. But without Caleb Love there would be absolutely no double OT. I needed this because the suns have been struggling and this game was insane and super dramatic. Now AZ will drop down to 7-8 in takings, but since UConn lost we might drop down to 5 or 6.

These are good games to have now to be ready for tourney play. Need some close games and maybe a loss or two. I think they will mostly roll over the PAC 12.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,740

GOKs' draft discussion thread..........Coming soon to a board near you!! 

Post#26 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:22 am

Hey everyone! YES!!! I know it's still a bit early to accurately postulate on potential suns draft acquisitions, BUT there's really no reason that I can see for us to not at least discuss:

1- Where we think we might end up in the draft?
2- What you'd like to see the suns do with our singular draft asset this June.
3- What prospects might intrigue you most?
................OR any questions you might want to ask on which prospects would/should be most important positional targets we should aggressively target and why?

And lastly, IF you were GM Jones, what would you choose to do with our pick strategically and are there any interesting names that you'd love to see join our G league team post draft??

*** If there's any obscure or under the radar talents you're curious about, feel free to ask as I have many lists already that I'll post soon. :wink:
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Re: GOKs' draft discussion thread..........Coming soon to a board near you!! 

Post#27 » by sunsbg » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:55 am

Go find that steal at position 20, GoK! Suns future is in your hands.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,639

Post#28 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:02 am

GOK we already have season and discussion thread and now you made a whole complete thread with just ur ideas? Plus you type 4-5 paragraphs which makes it difficult to read and keep up with. You need to ask BW if you’re allowed to do this.

Spoiler:
just kidding brother messing around with you. I forgot who was pissed at your trade ideas and long paragraphs 2-3 months ago which I assumed is why you left for a bit. Glad to have you back man.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,743

Post#29 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:14 am

I didn't even know we had a pick this year. The picks going out are so convoluted in protections/swaps/best of's that I just assume we have no picks so this is a pleasant surprise.

So who are the best prospects in the late lotto who could drop?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#30 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:15 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:GOK we already have season and discussion thread and now you made a whole complete thread with just ur ideas? Plus you type 4-5 paragraphs which makes it difficult to read and keep up with. You need to ask BW if you’re allowed to do this.

Spoiler:
just kidding brother messing around with you. I forgot who was pissed at your trade ideas and long paragraphs 2-3 months ago which I assumed is why you left for a bit. Glad to have you back man.

Nah! I took some time away due to hefty work load and family medical emergency. Just needed to direct my full focus to that priority was all. Help get everything stabilized and back in line. But I am glad to be back and have more peace of mind for now. And I appreciate you man.

As for my draft discussions, I'm intending on doing more concise and simplistic reports and mostly focusing on what thoughts everyone might want to share on how we should address our needs and long term talent concerns, etc.

Aside from that, I'll likely just sprinkle some fairly unknown talents that we could steal even in our limited situation. And get you guys thoughts on who sounds most intriguing? :D
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Post#31 » by sunsbg » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:25 am

Tyler Kolek PG – Marquette – HT: 6-3 – WT: 190 – WING: NA – Jr – A true floor general with an elite feel for the game and a great 3pt shot. Should be an immediate impact player at the next level. Steve Nash lite

Sounds intriguing right ?

That said Jones will draft a 23yo wing player.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#32 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:21 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I didn't even know we had a pick this year. The picks going out are so convoluted in protections/swaps/best of's that I just assume we have no picks so this is a pleasant surprise.

Yeah! It was somewhat clever by our front office to leverage swaps just to ensure that we DO sustain some sort of pick options for cost controlled supplemental depth/talent acquisitions. Technically, We have the least valuable pick of a swap between Washington and Memphis. So of the late lotto picks that are most likely to have a possibility to fall to our range in the early to mid 20s' (wherein I have us landing) I'd honestly look at prospects like:

- Isiah Collier, Tidjane Salaun, Yves Missi, Ryan Dunn, Kel'el Ware, Tyler Smith, Zach Edey, and DJ Wagner primarily due to individual blenmishes attached to each player. Scouts are varied currently in their projections, But the majority of these late lotto talents stated concerns have not yet criossed a threshhold of being considered a minor issue not affecting their pick range. IF things hold over the coming three months, then these names are likekly to slide into our range somewhat subtly. :D
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,440

Post#33 » by dremill24 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:37 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I didn't even know we had a pick this year. The picks going out are so convoluted in protections/swaps/best of's that I just assume we have no picks so this is a pleasant surprise.

Yeah! It was somewhat clever by our front office to leverage swaps just to ensure that we DO sustain some sort of pick options for cost controlled supplemental depth/talent acquisitions. Technically, We have the least valuable pick of a swap between Washington and Memphis. So of the late lotto picks that are most likely to have a possibility to fall to our range in the early to mid 20s' (wherein I have us landing) I'd honestly look at prospects like:

- Isiah Collier, Tidjane Salaun, Yves Missi, Ryan Dunn, Kel'el Ware, Tyler Smith, Zach Edey, and DJ Wagner primarily due to individual blenmishes attached to each player. Scouts are varied currently in their projections, But the majority of these late lotto talents stated concerns have not yet criossed a threshhold of being considered a minor issue not affecting their pick range. IF things hold over the coming three months, then these names are likekly to slide into our range somewhat subtly. :D

I mean I like the optimism and giving the benefit of the doubt but they literally have no choice but to maintain the swap cause they werent allowed to trade the pick outright :lol:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,743

Post#34 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:02 am

dremill24 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

I mean I like the optimism and giving the benefit of the doubt but they literally have no choice but to maintain the swap cause they werent allowed to trade the pick outright :lol:

Thank the CBA for saving us from ourselves.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#35 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:20 am

sunsbg wrote:Tyler Kolek PG – Marquette – HT: 6-3 – WT: 190 – WING: NA – Jr – A true floor general with an elite feel for the game and a great 3pt shot. Should be an immediate impact player at the next level. Steve Nash lite

Sounds intriguing right ?

That said Jones will draft a 23yo wing player.

Definitely right man! He's more or less almost identical in skillset/ style of play to McConnell whom we've coveted for awhile now. He'd absolutely be a very solid acquisition for us! However, I for my part have him settling in around the early 40s' and I think THAT IF we end up in the early -mid 20s', We could trade back a bit with one of the teams with multiple picks in order to pick up another pick in th deal and fill more roster needs while still getting Kolek where he settles. Right off the bat, I noticed three specific teams that'd accomodate that strategy:
- Utah Jazz with the 28th and 32nd picks.
- Minnesota Timberwolves with the 29th and 37th picks.
- Boston Celtics with the 30th, 42nd and 49th picks.

My specific plan would be to 1st target:
Ulriche Comch'e ( young Serge Ibaka archetype) for our backup 4/5 needs.
And then use our additional 2nd for Kolek. But IF not Kolek, then I'd use our acquired 2nd on
Jaxson Robinson (athletic Cam Johnson Archetype) to fill our empty Cam Johnson role! And then one of:

- Ta'lon Cooper ( Andre Miller/ Baron Davis Archetype).
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/talon-cooper-1.html

- Kenan Blackshear. (Budget Jrue Holiday archetype).
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kenan-blackshear-1.html

- Mark Sears. ( identical clone to Jalen Brunson).
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mark-sears-1.html

- Sion James. ( Marcus Smart/ Desmond Bane hybrid archetype).
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sion-james-1.html
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/tulanes-sion-james-has-top-assistturnover-ratio-in-d-i/article_c23ec500-7d90-11ed-b1b8-ff3fa604a14a.html#:~:text=None%20of%20the%20351%20players,for%20a%204.75%2F1%20ratio.
None of the 351 players who meet the qualifying standard of 3.0 assists per game takes care of the ball as well as James, who has handed out 38 assists with only eight turnovers through nine games for a 4.75/1 ratio.
so the potential is truly present. :nod:
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#36 » by Crives » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:50 am

I bet we trade the 2024 1st for a future 1st and multiple 2nds…. Giving us a two tradeable 1sts in the future + multiple 2nds.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#37 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:40 pm

Crives wrote:I bet we trade the 2024 1st for a future 1st and multiple 2nds…. Giving us a two tradeable 1sts in the future + multiple 2nds.

That's a distinct possibility too! There are a few different paths we might look at even with only having very limited assets left, and also having almost no cap flexibility whatsoever over the coming 4-5 years.

IF we could do something like that and package those future assets together with Little's contract and a filler, then maybe we could land another vet depth piece on a multiyear deal to help sustain our core better?
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,102

Post#38 » by garrick » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:36 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Crives wrote:I bet we trade the 2024 1st for a future 1st and multiple 2nds…. Giving us a two tradeable 1sts in the future + multiple 2nds.

That's a distinct possibility too! There are a few different paths we might look at even with only having very limited assets left, and also having almost no cap flexibility whatsoever over the coming 4-5 years.

IF we could do something like that and package those future assets together with Little's contract and a filler, then maybe we could land another vet depth piece on a multiyear deal to help sustain our core better?

Do note the rule about our draft pick going to the very back end of the 1st round draft if we are in the 2nd apron for two consecutive seasons, won't apply to us this year but perhaps the 2026 pick?

We also can't trade any of our picks until like 2030 but if not mistaken we can do a draft day trade of draft rights and get around the Stepien rule.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#39 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:43 pm

garrick wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Do note the rule about our draft pick going to the very back end of the 1st round draft if we are in the 2nd apron for two consecutive seasons, won't apply to us this year but perhaps the 2026 pick?

We also can't trade any of our picks until like 2030 but if not mistaken we can do a draft day trade of draft rights and get around the Stepien rule.

Thanks man! :thumbsup: Excellent points you mentioned for sure. I believe that the team tax totals are tallied at the end of the season, BUT the final accountings/ attached penalty tiers are assessed in July right after free agency ( I believe)?? So if at all correct, this will be our last draft in a number of seasons in which we can actually land a pick higher than the very last pick ( in terms of value) that we could use to legitimately trade back for additional assets.

And normally I'd say just make the pick and take the pick ( best talent available) for that range we land at. And of course that is an option that we might consider too. But because this draft is rather shallow on superstar or even high end star level talent even extending into the ranges of the lottery, We might consider a quantity over quality options strategically to fill more gaps with contributors or tradable future assets?

So with that beingsaid, I'd be more inclined to trade back ( in this draft) even in our situation to try and pick up an additional pick or asset if possible that we'd have multi year control over. And to also try and get more swings on cost controlled talent/ depth that are on rookie scale deals and can grow with our core over the coming years whether as long term pieces or as future developmental trade assets with ascending values for us.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,540

Post#40 » by Stix » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:36 pm

Kylan Boswell! :pray:

Return to Phoenix Suns