ImageImageImage

Game 24, Big 3 debut: The Nets (12-10) @ Suns (13-10) | Wednesday | 7:00PM

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Re: Game 24, Big 3 debut: The Nets (12-10) @ Suns (13-10) | Wednesday | 7:00PM 

Post#361 » by sunsbg » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:52 am

Let's be honest, this team will never be a great defensive team even with defensive coach in Vogel, so only hope was they will be some offensive juggernaut. Only one game so that will change, but based on this game our offense is the stars taking contested shots and the role players taking open shots they can't hit. At least Allen and EG should help with the later.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,639

Post#362 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:21 am

sunsbg wrote:Let's be honest, this team will never be a great defensive team even with defensive coach in Vogel, so only hope was they will be some offensive juggernaut. Only one game so that will change, but based on this game our offense is the stars taking contested shots and the role players taking open shots they can't hit. At least Allen and EG should help with the later.

So why did we acquire a defensive minded coach when our team isn’t constructed to play a lick of defense?

Puff is right Matt Ishbia and his sidekick Isiah Thomas (who ruined the Knicks and set them back for decades) are the culprits in this situation. Everyone was saying how cheap Sarver was are now happy with their new owner? Tick tok tick tok… it’s only a matter of time before every fan turns on Ishbia. We had a contender for next 4-5 years just needed to make minor adjustments instead decided to trade the entire farm system.
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,136

Post#363 » by handsome salary » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:38 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
sunsbg wrote:We had a contender for next 4-5 years just needed to make minor adjustments instead decided to trade the entire farm system.

Booker, Ayton and Bridges with a falling off the cliff CP3 and terrible bench was not a contender.
Now Booker, Bridges and Haliburton would have been a great core for the next 4-5 years.

You need a MVP or multiple All Stars to win it all. And luck, which the Suns have none of.

The "big 3" debut was meh. Losing 2 in a row to a Spurs team that has only won 3 games all season really indicates how poorly coached this team is and lackadaisical the stars can be. Getting a lot of "don't sweat, we go this" vibes from the stars and coaches. Turns out no you don't.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,243

Post#364 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:05 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Can't believe we have Nets fans coming here to gloat about us missing a Finney Smith to unlock our true form.

Yeah we're frustrating to watch now but let's exercise some patience. This was the FIRST game the big 3 has played together and Beal is clearly still playing into shape. Let's give this 20 games please, we will figure it out. You can't expect a team of new parts like this to look a well oiled machine in their first game together

Can’t believe only person criticizing normal talk between fans is EX Nets fan,new Suns fan , or perhaps none of those , just a Durant fan perhaps

No one was gloating here about Finney Smith , he was given as an example as a tough TEAM PLAYER defender first but not limited on offense ( there is several guys like that in the league ) other is Mikal , other is Cameron J , am I still gloating or stating a facts ?

Now give me a break with the patience talk , you might be hardened in this department by being Durant fan 3 years prior him arriving on the Suns , but Suns fans sold their future for this , they don’t want more patience, most of them want results

3 ISO players taking turns without tough defenders on the team will never be a well oiled machine , you can get old waiting and having patience or you want me to believe that ….?

Beal all of a sudden will play defense ? He never did it once in his career

Or maybe that Durant will become team player and floor general ? He never was that either

The ONLY way I can see this team can have any success starts and ends with Booker , he have to take Alpha male seat , start being a leader , on court leader , locker room leader , holding everybody accountable
stop hiding behind Durants back
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,243

Post#365 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:19 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Let's be honest, this team will never be a great defensive team even with defensive coach in Vogel, so only hope was they will be some offensive juggernaut. Only one game so that will change, but based on this game our offense is the stars taking contested shots and the role players taking open shots they can't hit. At least Allen and EG should help with the later.

So why did we acquire a defensive minded coach when our team isn’t constructed to play a lick of defense?

Puff is right Matt Ishbia and his sidekick Isiah Thomas (who ruined the Knicks and set them back for decades) are the culprits in this situation. Everyone was saying how cheap Sarver was are now happy with their new owner? Tick tok tick tok… it’s only a matter of time before every fan turns on Ishbia. We had a contender for next 4-5 years just needed to make minor adjustments instead decided to trade the entire farm system.

It’s kind of crazy that all this new owners billionaires once they got their new toy ( read NBA franchise) got stupid with their new toy and making boneheaded decisions

Cuban was terrible after he bought the Mavs , it took him long years and little bit of luck to finally win the championship

Prokhorov with his idiotic Blueprint for greatness signing washed Pierce and Garnett while selling Nets future for a decade

Tsai , another shmuck making dumb moves right after he bought the Nets

Now Ishbia - well this one is still to be determined
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#366 » by enigmatics » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:24 pm

sunsbum wrote:
RayLight wrote:The team`s game just doesn`t have any flow at all.
I agree with this, and I'm not sure why yet still. My biggest question mark is still point book. I think in spurts its fine but the way we are playing its not. Now if we pushed the ball more and sped up the tempo of the offense I can see that working but the way we've turned Devin into a half court CP clone, its not happening. I just don't think we have an identity on offense...probably for a lot of reasons (Beal and injuries being one of them). I said give us 25 games to figure everything out but really it should be 25 games of healthy big 3. lots of questions around this team, and that's not necessarily a bad thing ...yet.

I'm gonna catch hell for selling this - but "Point Book" or Book in general looks great in a front running scenario or prior to the 4th quarter. When it's crunch or clutch time he's yet to truly earn his stripes. The other thing is are his assists opening up things in the lane for his teammates? Doesn't seem like it because Young has them all marooned out across the 3pt line.

It's concerning that even with Beal out they've had two elite scorers in Book/Durant yet keep pissing away winnable games like last night.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,948

Post#367 » by Saberestar » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:09 pm

****, I didn't expect to lose this one.
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#368 » by Biff » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:41 pm

At this point the Suns should fire Jones and hire one of us to run the damn team.

You all can be as patient as you want but I have very little hope this no defense team will ever be a serious contender. Nobody on the Nets even had all the great of a game, we just let their entire team score. Booker had a GREAT game with 34, 6 and 12 and only 2 TO's. KD didn't go off but 27 on 18 shots isn't bad. Beal was at least an efficient 14 points. Nurkic had 15 and 22. And we still lost, at home. Pathetic.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,948

Post#369 » by Saberestar » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:50 pm

I couldn't watch this game live and wanted to watch it on a replay a few hours later but the **** International League Pass wasn't working for me and showed me the scoreboard...so knowing that we lost I am not gonna watch it.

Less stressful day for me LOL.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#370 » by spanishninja » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:54 pm

Biff wrote:At this point the Suns should fire Jones and hire one of us to run the damn team.

You all can be as patient as you want but I have very little hope this no defense team will ever be a serious contender. Nobody on the Nets even had all the great of a game, we just let their entire team score. Booker had a GREAT game with 34, 6 and 12 and only 2 TO's. KD didn't go off but 27 on 18 shots isn't bad. Beal was at least an efficient 14 points. Nurkic had 15 and 22. And we still lost, at home. Pathetic.

the issue remains health. random injuries to Allen, Gordon and Okogie don't help at all. I audibly yelled at the screen whenever Nassir was jacking up shots in the first half. He started making some of them in the second but the damage was done by then.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,930

Post#371 » by Fo-Real » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:25 pm

spanishninja wrote:
Biff wrote:At this point the Suns should fire Jones and hire one of us to run the damn team.

the issue remains health. random injuries to Allen, Gordon and Okogie don't help at all. I audibly yelled at the screen whenever Nassir was jacking up shots in the first half. He started making some of them in the second but the damage was done by then.

Yep, you lose your first three players off of the bench, your best defender and hustle guy and two of your best shooters. Bad luck for sure.
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#372 » by spanishninja » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:33 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
spanishninja wrote:

Yep, you lose your first three players off of the bench, your best defender and hustle guy and two of your best shooters. Bad luck for sure.

yes. there is somewhat of a "moral victory" to last night but those won't really do us much good as there are no points for should-haves and would-haves.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#373 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:10 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:Can't believe we have Nets fans coming here to gloat about us missing a Finney Smith to unlock our true form.

Yeah we're frustrating to watch now but let's exercise some patience. This was the FIRST game the big 3 has played together and Beal is clearly still playing into shape. Let's give this 20 games please, we will figure it out. You can't expect a team of new parts like this to look a well oiled machine in their first game together

Can’t believe only person criticizing normal talk between fans is EX Nets fan,new Suns fan , or perhaps none of those , just a Durant fan perhaps

No one was gloating here about Finney Smith , he was given as an example as a tough TEAM PLAYER defender first but not limited on offense ( there is several guys like that in the league ) other is Mikal , other is Cameron J , am I still gloating or stating a facts ?

Now give me a break with the patience talk , you might be hardened in this department by being Durant fan 3 years prior him arriving on the Suns , but Suns fans sold their future for this , they don’t want more patience, most of them want results

3 ISO players taking turns without tough defenders on the team will never be a well oiled machine , you can get old waiting and having patience or you want me to believe that ….?

Beal all of a sudden will play defense ? He never did it once in his career

Or maybe that Durant will become team player and floor general ? He never was that either

The ONLY way I can see this team can have any success starts and ends with Booker , he have to take Alpha male seat , start being a leader , on court leader , locker room leader , holding everybody accountable
stop hiding behind Durants back

Why are you getting emotional? The point is the likes of Finney Smith are nothing special and to gloat about the likes of him on an opposing board is just weird. Someone like Nassir Little, Metu or KBD can easily play at that level Under the right conditions. The team isn't going to live and die by the likes of Finney Smith or Little, it's going to hinge on KD Beal and Book staying healthy and gelling. Hence let's stay patient Suns fans.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#374 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:14 pm

enigmatics wrote:
sunsbum wrote:
RayLight wrote:The team`s game just doesn`t have any flow at all.
I agree with this, and I'm not sure why yet still. My biggest question mark is still point book. I think in spurts its fine but the way we are playing its not. Now if we pushed the ball more and sped up the tempo of the offense I can see that working but the way we've turned Devin into a half court CP clone, its not happening. I just don't think we have an identity on offense...probably for a lot of reasons (Beal and injuries being one of them). I said give us 25 games to figure everything out but really it should be 25 games of healthy big 3. lots of questions around this team, and that's not necessarily a bad thing ...yet.

I'm gonna catch hell for selling this - but "Point Book" or Book in general looks great in a front running scenario or prior to the 4th quarter. When it's crunch or clutch time he's yet to truly earn his stripes. The other thing is are his assists opening up things in the lane for his teammates? Doesn't seem like it because Young has them all marooned out across the 3pt line.

It's concerning that even with Beal out they've had two elite scorers in Book/Durant yet keep pissing away winnable games like last night.

I'm not concerned about us as long as the big 3 stay healthy but if we're talking upgrades the FO absolutely must get another point guard and another 5

PG depth is abysmal and with a Goodwin injury we are completely screwed. At the 5, I dont think we have a reliable backup 5. Everytime Nurk goes out we struggle hard. Eubanks is not reliable enough and Bol Bol is a novelty player, I'd give Dwight a shot before what we throwing out there.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,540

Post#375 » by Stix » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:22 pm

Team is injury prone and doesn't play defense. welcome back to 2005-2010.

More hard times ahead.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,634

Post#376 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:43 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
I don’t think Nets is 45 win team , maybe 40 if we lucky

He was talking last year. Brooklyn has played the 10th toughest schedule and 4th toughest in the east.

Ignoring their SOS, they are on a 46 win pace right now.

That’s why I never liked Beal trade , you need guys like DFS or Bruce Browns of the league to give you that hard nosed defensive presence without compromising much on offense

Daniel Theis who went recently to the Clippers for cheap , ilike this guy as well

The thing about the Beal trade was that Chris Paul was basically washed, and Shamet was worthless. I thought we would have to either cut Paul and pay him $15K in guaranteed money to contribute nothing, or pay him $30K. Now in hindsight, maybe keeping him for $30K just for leadership worked, but he hurts to have on the floor much. His FG% from 2 years ago has dropped from around 50% to 40%. His TS% is under 53%.

He would have been another player the opponents would not have to guard.

I think Paul was basically untradeable unless we were to take a bad contract. I was shocked we got Beal. I know he isn't what he was but he still is a big scoring threat who can distribute. His D isn't good but at this point, neither is Paul's.

Ideally yes, we could have gotten a better fit or a couple of nice role players for Paul, but it didn't make sense. No one wanted him. The Wizards just wanted to get off his contract. The only reason we got him for Paul was because he had a no trade clause and forced his way to Phx.

To me, the Nets trade was far worse. We traded an iron man, who probably would have been a career Sun, who was super efficient, one of the best wing defenders, and was rapidly gaining new skills, Cam, who was a great shooter and could do other things, and Jae who it turns out was worth 5 2nd round picks. Then on top of that, 4 unprotected picks and an unprotected 29 swap.

That is a crazy trade for a declining injury prone, 35 year old player, no matter how good he is. We traded two starters for 1, losing depth, and Jae who we could have probably traded for Allen or someone similar, kept all the picks, etc, and been a better team.

Beal would look good as option #2 along with Bridges, Cam and whatever we got for Jae. Even the 2nd round picks would be nice to have.
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#377 » by spanishninja » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:59 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
He was talking last year. Brooklyn has played the 10th toughest schedule and 4th toughest in the east.

Ignoring their SOS, they are on a 46 win pace right now.

That’s why I never liked Beal trade , you need guys like DFS or Bruce Browns of the league to give you that hard nosed defensive presence without compromising much on offense

Daniel Theis who went recently to the Clippers for cheap , ilike this guy as well

The thing about the Beal trade was that Chris Paul was basically washed, and Shamet was worthless. I thought we would have to either cut Paul and pay him $15K in guaranteed money to contribute nothing, or pay him $30K. Now in hindsight, maybe keeping him for $30K just for leadership worked, but he hurts to have on the floor much. His FG% from 2 years ago has dropped from around 50% to 40%. His TS% is under 53%.

I think Paul was basically untradeable unless we were to take a bad contract. I was shocked we got Beal. I know he isn't what he was but he still is a big scoring threat who can distribute. His D isn't good but at this point, neither is Paul's.

Ideally yes, we could have gotten a better fit or a couple of nice role players for Paul, but it didn't make sense. No one wanted him. The Wizards just wanted to get off his contract. The only reason we got him for Paul was because he had a no trade clause and forced his way to Phx.

To me, the Nets trade was far worse. We traded an iron man, who probably would have been a career Sun, who was super efficient, one of the best wing defenders, and was rapidly gaining new skills, Cam, who was a great shooter and could do other things, and Jae who it turns out was worth 5 2nd round picks. Then on top of that, 4 unprotected picks and an unprotected 29 swap.

That is a crazy trade for a declining injury prone, 35 year old player, no matter how good he is. We traded two starters for 1, losing depth, and Jae who we could have probably traded for Allen or someone similar, kept all the picks, etc, and been a better team.

Beal would look good as option #2 along with Bridges, Cam and whatever we got for Jae. Even the 2nd round picks would be nice to have.

trading Mikal and losing the picks hurt but less stressed about trading Cam and Jae. Cam was due for an extension and we would have eaten it for a player whose health has already cost us in the playoffs. and Jae, we know how useful Jae has been since leaving us.

also, if we didn't get KD, I doubt Beal would have considered coming to us.
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,659

Post#378 » by schnakenpopanz » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:00 pm

The only good thing from this game was seeing the twins back. hopefully, they will have a triumphant return like Steve nash one day.
free steve nash!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,634

Post#379 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:09 pm

spanishninja wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:

trading Mikal and losing the picks hurt but less stressed about trading Cam and Jae. Cam was due for an extension and we would have eaten it for a player whose health has already cost us in the playoffs. and Jae, we know how useful Jae has been since leaving us.

Beal would have come given we hired his agent. Book is the guy who initiates calling...KD is too reserved. He wouldn't have wanted to stay in Washington.

I don't miss Cam as much either but his extension plus Mikal's salary is still less than KD and we have them long term due to age.

Jae of course I don't miss, but he did have some trade value we could have utilized.
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#380 » by spanishninja » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Beal would have come given we hired his agent. Book is the guy who initiates calling...KD is too reserved. He wouldn't have wanted to stay in Washington.

I don't miss Cam as much either but his extension plus Mikal's salary is still less than KD and we have them long term due to age.

Jae of course I don't miss, but he did have some trade value we could have utilized.

I'm saying that Beal wouldn't have been as interested in coming to a team that only has Book and Mikal as key options. I wouldn't be viewing our team's ceiling as contender without KD for sure, even if we have underachieved with him so far.

I mean, if Booker magically went to the Nets to join the twins now, would you honestly see them as a top team? I dont' think so.

Return to Phoenix Suns