ImageImageImage

Game 39: Phoenix Suns (20-18) @ Portland Trailblazers (10-28) l Sunday l 7:00pm l AZFamily

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Re: Game 39: Phoenix Suns (20-18) @ Portland Trailblazers (10-28) l Sunday l 7:00pm l AZFamily 

Post#41 » by Fo-Real » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:36 pm

Bogyo wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:Where are all the die hard fans and how come they aren’t posting any more?

Because this board is rife with toxic thoughts. It's depressing here lately.

That as well - although I feel that its pretty OK to point out just about now that the toxic thoughts for me are coming from watching our 2 superstars just go through the motions, play carelessly and sloppy, give no effort, do not try to play basketball in a sensible way, hang their heads, have bad body language, yet find the time to chew out minimum salary guys from time to time for mistakes that they regularly make. Icing on the cake that its just ugly basketball, even when we win. If I left out anything do let me know.

Case in point....
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Re: Game 39: Phoenix Suns (20-18) @ Portland Trailblazers (10-28) l Sunday l 7:00pm l AZFamily 

Post#42 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:55 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Good to see this kind of interview

Honestly I think he's just happy to be out of Washington.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,117

Post#43 » by garrick » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:26 am

Fo-Real wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:

That as well - although I feel that its pretty OK to point out just about now that the toxic thoughts for me are coming from watching our 2 superstars just go through the motions, play carelessly and sloppy, give no effort, do not try to play basketball in a sensible way, hang their heads, have bad body language, yet find the time to chew out minimum salary guys from time to time for mistakes that they regularly make. Icing on the cake that its just ugly basketball, even when we win. If I left out anything do let me know.

Case in point....

I think too many fans & ownership were too optimistic about our chances this season.

Although we are on a winning streak its been against teams we are expected to beat and the bad loss versus the Clippers show that we are still not on the level of the top 5 or so teams in the league and we are far far away from performing at a championship winning team. Until the Suns start beating good competition fans are going to be skeptical.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,825

Post#44 » by Qwigglez » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:12 am

Bogyo wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:Where are all the die hard fans and how come they aren’t posting any more?

Yeah pretty much this. I wouldn't mind losing as much if the team gave an effort. I'm not asking for perfect basketball, the team is allowed to make mistakes. But not trying is inexcusable.

The team has been performing well lately, and Booker post-game mentioned teams are trying to attack us in the 4th quarter running different schemes but it doesn't work as effectively when we got Beal there to help. It's still a work in progress and the big 3 is 4-4 currently. I expect that to improve once they get more accustomed to each other.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,261

Post#45 » by Bogyo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:33 am

garrick wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

Case in point....

I think too many fans & ownership were too optimistic about our chances this season.

Although we are on a winning streak its been against teams we are expected to beat and the bad loss versus the Clippers show that we are still not on the level of the top 5 or so teams in the league and we are far far away from performing at a championship winning team. Until the Suns start beating good competition fans are going to be skeptical.

To answer two posts at once:
Fo-Real - Yea, but I did not see you denying any of what is up there. I think it'd be kinda hard to do... :(

As for garrick (and everyone else who tries to see positive things): I don't neccesarily agree with that we were too optimistic about the season. Infact I think we have been very unlucky so far, with the big 3 injuries and some other minor injuries to "key" players, which made it impossible to work out a rotation. Plus the fact that 6-7 of our minimum contract guys is not playing at an NBA level - if we just had ONE doing that, we could have a legit 7-8 man rotation. That can still happen - if we left the injury bug (and bad luck) behind us for this season, cement a rotation, and one guy out of 6 finds the magic pill and plays like he belongs - and shows that he is intrested and capable of getting another contract in the NBA next year.

So I guess I am still an optimist in that sense - I just hate(d) watching this spiritless "middy - king of court" crrap with no effort.
Beal's involvement seems to be changing that - case in point, Book played with goodish effort this game - at least better than I've seen in the last 6-8 games mostly, if I go by my eyetest. Sure, it was only Portland, but you gotta start somewhere.

(Fun stat from the Timeline podcast I listened to last weekend: Clippers big 3 played 700something minutes together this season. Our big 3? 100 and change... Raise your hand if you though this was possible in any universe at the start of the season. I didn't. Is that optimistic? If so, I'm guily... /data from about a week ago now, so thats changing/)
# waiting for the next chapter
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#46 » by NapoleonII » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:36 pm

Health and luck are two severely underrated things.

Oh, and having a front office that can see 1-3 years in advance and aren't just trying to keep their asses in their cushy jobs.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,261

Post#47 » by Bogyo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:38 pm

NapoleonII wrote:Health and luck are two severely underrated things.

Oh, and having a front office that can see 1-3 years in advance and aren't just trying to keep their asses in their cushy jobs.

Munger had the great 70/20/10 rule about the stock market - I guess it's kinda true for all "markets" in life.

(In any given year the performance of a stock depends 70% on overall mkt performance, 20% on industry performance and 10% on management performance. Over a 10 year period its 70% management performance, 20% industry performance and 10% market)
# waiting for the next chapter
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,260

Post#48 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:28 am

Big 3: 4-4
Book/KD: 9-6
Book/Beal: 3-1
Beal/KD: 1-2
KD: 2-4
Book: 2-1
Beal: 0-0

Total: 21-18
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft

Return to Phoenix Suns