Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,621

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - The final stretch 

Post#1501 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:49 pm

sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Losing 6MOTY candidate in Monk is very important. He's not only scorer but was running their second unit with a lot of big assist games and finished games. Huerter was a starter. Lyles(PF) and Vezenkov(PF/SF) were key for them off the bench. Not sure when last two return, but right now they are literally without a bench. Kings strength was depth and right now they don't have much there.

Yeah, I guess it would be like us losing Eric Gordon.

Eric Gordon is far from a 6MOTY candidate. Barnes is a weak link so losing two PF's is important too. Huerter is a starter. Suns were at full strength last game so can't complain too much.

Edit:Just checked and Monk is favorite to win the award. He's Kings' soul at some form. Kings fans love him. Eric Gordon is just someone who can get hot shooting in 1 of 3 games and doesn't offer much else.

At first I was kind of joking but I did look at #s and Gordon shoots 56% from 2 while Monk shoots 53% and Gordon shoots 39% from 3 while Monk shoots 35%. So Eric is the better scorer. Monk scores a few more points but takes more shots to do so. Monk is a little better passer, but both are decent and have about a 2/1 ast/to ratio. Gordon is probably a better defender as well, though neither are good.

So if Monk is that much better, I don't know what it was. I would have thought as a scorer, but not really. I think Monk is more highly praised given he's improved so much while Gordon has done the opposite, but that's because Monk used to suck while Gordon used to be really good.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,254

Post#1502 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 pm

sunsbg wrote:Kings are done with four rotational players out. Monk was particularly important for them. One of the toughest schedules too. Suns chance to avoid the play-in or stay top8 increased.
Have you watched us? We're done with everyone healthy and playing, lol.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1503 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:04 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Kings are done with four rotational players out. Monk was particularly important for them. One of the toughest schedules too. Suns chance to avoid the play-in or stay top8 increased.

Hard to be really high on us after the OKC game. Kings just barely lost to the hot Mavs, with Luka and Kyrie scoring 56. Sabonis had a triple double. Mavs needed a pretty big comeback. Davion Mitchell can step up a bit more as well as Chris Duarte.

I don't know how you could really say they are done. I don't think they win a round in the playoffs and may even lose a play in game or two, and I do like our chances better, but not by a ton.

The key game is our game against them, because it is the tiebreaker in our series and the finish will be close. They have some really tough games left but they also have Portland, Utah and Brooklyn. We don't have any easy ones.

People think we can catch the Pelicans, and maybe we can, but the Lakers are as close to us as we are to the Pelicans. The Lakers have the tie breaker against us and still play the Grizzlies, Wizards, Raptors and Nets. Warriors too who are not particularly impressive.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1504 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:15 pm

Son of Ra wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
King4Day wrote:
We'll sign these guys, even if to trade them later to recoup assets. This 2nd apron spending is only a 2-3 year thing before ownership/GM decides it's just not happening

Contracts at FMV usually aren't very valuable. If Grayson declines to the mean, we may end up having to surrender a pick or two if we want to avoid the tax.

I continue to vote TEAR DOWN & REBUILD. Invest the money we would have spent on the luxury tax on quality scouts (or an app that allows fans to vote for our draft pick). Drowning ourselves in sunk cost will only set us up for a bloodbath at the 2025 trade deadline.

Booker to BKN and KD to NYK is OK with me.

Basically exactly what I said in another thread, fully onboard team rebuild.
Burn it down an let Phoenix rise from the ashes (so witty I know right!?)

If we did, but I seriously doubt it would happen, I probably wouldn't trade Book to Brooklyn. They don't really have any assets. Just to get our picks back? And who, Mikal? I mean, I love Mikal but I don't know. The only problem with trying to find another team is that most of the teams with a lot of assets and good young players are in the west. I know Cade is a disappointment but maybe something like Cade, Thompson and some picks? Or Duren? Even if not Cade, Thompson, Duren and picks? Give them Nurkic too? We'd need more salary back of course, so filler...probably Isaiah Stewart and Fournier (who expires next year...has team option). Stewart has a long contract though at $15 million a year.

I'd love to do LaMelo and Miller and picks, but I doubt they'd do that. If we did trade him in the west, I'm sure OKC would much rather have him than Durant, but may not want him if they have to give up good young players, but pairing next to SGA might be enticing. They probably wouldn't want to trade Chet, so maybe we get Giddey and a bunch of picks and filler. Obviously if we could get Giddey and Chet it would be great, but I don't' see that happening. Plus we'd have to face him 3-4 times a year.

I just don't know if I see us making a trade. MAYBE KD if Book thinks we need a big move and is ok with it and KD wants NY like his family does.

Hopefully we just somehow win a couple rounds in the playoffs. Many said the trade was worth it if we win a ring, and expected us to have a good chance....so hopefully they end up being right.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#1505 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:21 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, I guess it would be like us losing Eric Gordon.

Eric Gordon is far from a 6MOTY candidate. Barnes is a weak link so losing two PF's is important too. Huerter is a starter. Suns were at full strength last game so can't complain too much.

Edit:Just checked and Monk is favorite to win the award. He's Kings' soul at some form. Kings fans love him. Eric Gordon is just someone who can get hot shooting in 1 of 3 games and doesn't offer much else.

At first I was kind of joking but I did look at #s and Gordon shoots 56% from 2 while Monk shoots 53% and Gordon shoots 39% from 3 while Monk shoots 35%. So Eric is the better scorer. Monk scores a few more points but takes more shots to do so. Monk is a little better passer, but both are decent and have about a 2/1 ast/to ratio. Gordon is probably a better defender as well, though neither are good.

So if Monk is that much better, I don't know what it was. I would have thought as a scorer, but not really. I think Monk is more highly praised given he's improved so much while Gordon has done the opposite, but that's because Monk used to suck while Gordon used to be really good.

NBA.com shows 44.3 FG% for Monk and 45.1 FG% for EG, better FT% for Monk so pretty much same level as scorers. EG had some of his better games as starter so that probably accounts for him not being anywhere near the top of candidates for the award. And I don't know how you call twice as many assists a little better passer. That's the same number as Beal in 7 less minutes. Than if you look beyond the numbers Monk has some leadership qualities even our 50M stars don't. His game has the wow factor if you remember the dunk he put on us. EG is a pretty dull player to watch in comparison and I don't think he rises a teams energy like Monk does.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#1506 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:25 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:

That's true, but people on GB already saying Kings should focus on the lottery while we are a week or two away.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1507 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:30 pm

sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

NBA.com shows 44.3 FG% for Monk and 45.1 FG% for EG, better FT% for Monk so pretty much same level as scorers. EG had some of his better games as starter so that probably accounts for him not being anywhere near the top of candidates for the award. And I don't know how you call twice as many assists a little better passer. That's the same number as Beal in 7 less minutes. Than if you look beyond the numbers Monk has some leadership qualities even our 50M stars don't. His game has the wow factor if you remember the dunk he put on us. EG is a pretty dull player to watch in comparison and I don't think he rises a teams energy like Monk does.

You can't really just compare FG%. Gordon shoots about 65% of his shots from 3 and Monk shoots more shots from 2 than 3. eFG% has Monk at 52.6% and Gordon at 57.5%...not close.

If you want to throw in FTs and look at TS%, Gordon is at 58.9% and Monk at 56.4%.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#1508 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:40 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

You can't really just compare FG%. Gordon shoots about 65% of his shots from 3 and Monk shoots more shots from 2 than 3. eFG% has Monk at 52.6% and Gordon at 57.5%...not close.

If you want to throw in FTs and look at TS%, Gordon is at 58.9% and Monk at 56.4%.

Ok, EG wins by 2.5% on lower volume. Hardly a better scorer. There is a big difference in playmaking if you have watched both and don't just go by numbers like a/to ratio. Then a big difference beyond the numbers too. EG is just another low energy, no personality guy on this team. As I said Kings fans love Monk and hope to bring him back.

Also as expected EG has played better as a starter than in his normal role averaging 15.4ppg in 24 games.
Son of Ra
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,040

Post#1509 » by Son of Ra » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Contracts at FMV usually aren't very valuable. If Grayson declines to the mean, we may end up having to surrender a pick or two if we want to avoid the tax.

I continue to vote TEAR DOWN & REBUILD. Invest the money we would have spent on the luxury tax on quality scouts (or an app that allows fans to vote for our draft pick). Drowning ourselves in sunk cost will only set us up for a bloodbath at the 2025 trade deadline.

If we did, but I seriously doubt it would happen, I probably wouldn't trade Book to Brooklyn. They don't really have any assets. Just to get our picks back? And who, Mikal? I mean, I love Mikal but I don't know. The only problem with trying to find another team is that most of the teams with a lot of assets and good young players are in the west. I know Cade is a disappointment but maybe something like Cade, Thompson and some picks? Or Duren? Even if not Cade, Thompson, Duren and picks? Give them Nurkic too? We'd need more salary back of course, so filler...probably Isaiah Stewart and Fournier (who expires next year...has team option). Stewart has a long contract though at $15 million a year.

I'd love to do LaMelo and Miller and picks, but I doubt they'd do that. If we did trade him in the west, I'm sure OKC would much rather have him than Durant, but may not want him if they have to give up good young players, but pairing next to SGA might be enticing. They probably wouldn't want to trade Chet, so maybe we get Giddey and a bunch of picks and filler. Obviously if we could get Giddey and Chet it would be great, but I don't' see that happening. Plus we'd have to face him 3-4 times a year.

I just don't know if I see us making a trade. MAYBE KD if Book thinks we need a big move and is ok with it and KD wants NY like his family does.

Hopefully we just somehow win a couple rounds in the playoffs. Many said the trade was worth it if we win a ring, and expected us to have a good chance....so hopefully they end up being right.

Did you mean to quote me? I don't really care who or what we get back specifically, that's for a good GM to figure out, I just want a FUTURE back. A likeable team to root for and watch develop and grow.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1510 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:52 am

sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Ok, EG wins by 2.5% on lower volume. Hardly a better scorer. There is a big difference in playmaking if you have watched both and don't just go by numbers like a/to ratio. Then a big difference beyond the numbers too. EG is just another low energy, no personality guy on this team. As I said Kings fans love Monk and hope to bring him back.

Also as expected EG has played better as a starter than in his normal role averaging 15.4ppg in 24 games.

Monk is ok. I don't think 35% from 3 is anything to write home about though.53% from 2 isn't bad though.

His best year by far was for the Lakers where he shot 39% from 3 and 58% from 2. His eFG was 57.8%..a little better than Gordon is this year. That's when he blossomed. He's kind of dropped back down to earth a bit.

But his playmaking has improved a lot. Averaging over 5 ast...it's more like 2.5 ast 1 to. But he's 10th on the team in 3pt% of those who play a decent amount of minutes. He is 3rd in makes though, since he's taken a ton of them.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1511 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:53 am

Son of Ra wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:Basically exactly what I said in another thread, fully onboard team rebuild.

Did you mean to quote me? I don't really care who or what we get back specifically, that's for a good GM to figure out, I just want a FUTURE back. A likeable team to root for and watch develop and grow.

Yeah, but I guess I was more responding to the post you quoted from I'mNotMcD where he says trade Book to Brooklyn. I went back a few pages and didn't see his original post.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,276

Post#1512 » by Slim Charless » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:36 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, but I guess I was more responding to the post you quoted from I'mNotMcD where he says trade Book to Brooklyn. I went back a few pages and didn't see his original post.

:roll:

To both of you. Along with whoever started this silliness.

Booker to Brooklyn? Maybe move him for Giddey and a few picks? I don't care what we get back for him?

Jesus. There's some bad takes in here. Good lord. It's Easter, not St Patrick's Day. You guys need to stop drinking and then posting.

Booker, if we decided to ever move him would get a MASSIVE return.

M.A.S.S.I.V.E.

You guys are insane talking all this foolishness with what we'd get for him. It won't matter, cause we're not trading him, nor should we.

Move KD along with Nurk and we'll get more than enough to rebound. With Devin still on the team.

Maddeness up in here today.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#1513 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:01 am

Who's replacing Vogel and who's a PG we can get.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,636

Post#1514 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:14 am

“Toumani Camara Out For Season Due To Broken Rib, Kidney Laceration“

And we wanted this guy on our team. He’s too fragile and injury prone. The Suns definitely dodged a bullet.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#1515 » by sunsbg » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:24 am

Both Kings' backup PFs played so they may not be done after all though losing Monk makes them less dangerous. Lakers and Warriors won. All bad results for us. Suns may decide who Mavs play in 1st round with two games against each of Pels and Clippers. Doncic vs Jokic MVP debates about to heat up on GB after the guy put 47pts on one leg according to his fans.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,636

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 4 - A Rocky Start 

Post#1516 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:53 am

Qwigglez wrote:So when it comes to Miles Bridges, if the Suns end up getting him, I can't do anything about it as a fan except just stop watching the Suns to show that I do not support that behavior and that type of player on my team. The thing here is the guy served his suspension by the league, and some championship caliber team will likely get him for a very cheap trade. If it ends up being the Suns, I will still watch the team and root for them.

You have nothing to worry about Q. The Suns never got him as he remained on the same team that drafted him. I don’t believe teams are looking to pick Miles up after his domestic violence incident.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,101

Post#1517 » by garrick » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:20 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

Own: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030

Incoming: 2024 (Mavericks, protected), 2024 (Pistons, protected), 2024 (Wizards, protected), 2025 (Bucks, protected)

New York is itching for a superstar and Booker is a flashy name Dolan would love having.

I don't think they would mind shipping out a couple of their surplus picks and I think besides Brunson there isn't anyone on their roster that's untouchable. Use Randle + anyone else on their roster and a pick or two would work out well for both sides although I don't particularly care for Randle's inefficient chucking he does fill a big need at PF for us.
Son of Ra
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,040

Post#1518 » by Son of Ra » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:32 am

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:Did you mean to quote me? I don't really care who or what we get back specifically, that's for a good GM to figure out, I just want a FUTURE back. A likeable team to root for and watch develop and grow.

:roll:

To both of you. Along with whoever started this silliness.

Booker to Brooklyn? Maybe move him for Giddey and a few picks? I don't care what we get back for him?

Jesus. There's some bad takes in here. Good lord. It's Easter, not St Patrick's Day. You guys need to stop drinking and then posting.

Booker, if we decided to ever move him would get a MASSIVE return.

M.A.S.S.I.V.E.

You guys are insane talking all this foolishness with what we'd get for him. It won't matter, cause we're not trading him, nor should we.

Move KD along with Nurk and we'll get more than enough to rebound. With Devin still on the team.

Maddeness up in here today.

You misunderstood me, obviously I want a big return too, the max we can possibly get to get the best possible start for a rebuild.
I just don't think we're going anywhere with this roster, we have no means to retool this roster and if we don't do anything now we won't even have assets left. I think it'd be foolish to ruin our future past this team/next season even more by giving up even more trying to save it. It's time to let this go, admit he swung for the fences and failed and move on.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,174

Post#1519 » by starbosa10 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:27 am

I know this season has been a disaster but some terrible takes in here. Trading book for some our own picks back or Julius Randle and some picks???? Insanity. Absolutely no reason at all to trade book. If any of the big 3 were to go its most likely KD
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,276

Post#1520 » by Slim Charless » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:27 am

starbosa10 wrote:I know this season has been a disaster but some terrible takes in here. Trading book for some our own picks back or Julius Randle and some picks???? Insanity. Absolutely no reason at all to trade book. If any of the big 3 were to go its most likely KD

Dude.

I swear some posters in here would trade Joker for a lotto protected pick and some magic beans.

It's like we're operating on a game by game basis on how good our players have been. These trade proposals are seriously offensively bad. The trade forum.......where OTHER fans are think highly of our guys. Yet in here it's "let's trade Booker for a cpl of picks and Fournier"

Embarrassing trade values of our players. Jesus. You'd think we had only won 4 games.

Unbelievable.

Return to Phoenix Suns