Post#1 » by Golanator » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:15 pm

Let’s gooooooooo!!!

Read on Twitter
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Re: Welcome Royce O’Neal 

Post#2 » by sunsbg » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:22 pm

Is he actually good ? A better Torrey Craig ? He'll bomb from 3 is all I know. Mostly around 38% from there during his career. Assist numbers look good too. How is his D ? Is he KD's buddy ? Is he replacing Grayson in the starting lineup ?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#3 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:29 pm

sunsbg wrote:Is he actually good ? He'll bomb from 3 is all I know. Mostly around 38% from there during his career. Assist numbers look good too. How is his D ? Is he KD's buddy ? Is he replacing Grayson in the starting lineup ?
Yes he's KDs buddy and yes he's good on D.

My guess is he comes off the bench but maybe he's in Graysons spot. Probably doesn't matter much either way because both will play heavy minutes regardless.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Iceman36
Sophomore
And1: 311

Post#4 » by Iceman36 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:30 pm

Never heard anything of that guy.

Some opinions? Ghost?
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,388

Post#5 » by Golanator » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:30 pm

sunsbg wrote:Is he actually good ? He'll bomb from 3 is all I know. Mostly around 38% from there during his career. Assist numbers look good too. How is his D ? Is he KD's buddy ? Is he replacing Grayson in the starting lineup ?

Good 2 way player. Not a great scorer but can shoot and has to be guarded. Good defender who can guard 2-4. Good passer. 30 years old and he’s a FA after the year but we have his bird rights so we can keep him long term if we want.

I wouldn’t mess with the lineup but in certain matchups against bigger teams he definitely could start at the 3. Either way he’s going to play 20-25 minutes a game and be reliable and dependable, which other than EG we haven’t had off the bench. Love this pickup.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#6 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:40 pm

Golanator wrote:

Good 2 way player. Not a great scorer but can shoot and has to be guarded. Good defender who can guard 2-4. Good passer. 30 years old and he’s a FA after the year but we have his bird rights so we can keep him long term if we want.

I wouldn’t mess with the lineup but in certain matchups against bigger deals he definitely could start at the 3. Either way he’s going to play 20-25 minutes a game and be reliable and dependable, which other than EG we haven’t had off the bench. Love this pickup.
Yeah Royce is a proven playoff rotation guy, this team desperately needed more of those.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 30-35 mins than 20.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,945

Post#7 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:45 pm

Iceman36 wrote:Never heard anything of that guy.

Some opinions? Ghost?

Royce O'Neale is a low usage SF who can defend multiple positions and on offense he is strictly a catch&shoot player.

He is similar to PJ Tucker or Jae Crowder. Not an athlete by any means, he uses his strength, skills and experience to defend great offensive wings.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#8 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:49 pm

sunsbg wrote:Is he actually good ? A better Torrey Craig ? He'll bomb from 3 is all I know. Mostly around 38% from there during his career. Assist numbers look good too. How is his D ? Is he KD's buddy ? Is he replacing Grayson in the starting lineup ?

Torrey Craig is much worse than Royce O'Neale, just compare their minutes per game on any team during their careers. O'Neale is a much better passer and is a better 3p shooter. Craig's only advantage over O'Neale is athleticism.

He is playing slightly worse this season than last year but (I hope) probably it's because the Nets go nowhere.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#9 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:03 pm

He's no world beater but much better than what we had. Royce being your 5th starter/2nd guy off the bench is not awful. He's got nice hands and anticipation on defense and has to be guarded at the 3 point line on offense.

Looks like we are washing our hands clean of all of JJs offseason minimum pickups, all disappointments but I'll take the roster spots over guys who have proven they can't perform in our system.
Golanator
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Golanator » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:16 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:He's no world beater but much better than what we had. Royce being your 5th starter/2nd guy off the bench is not awful. He's got nice hands and anticipation on defense and has to be guarded at the 3 point line on offense.

Looks like we are washing our hands clean of all of JJs offseason minimum pickups, all disappointments but I'll take the roster spots over guys who have proven they can't perform in our system.

Yeah, and Yuta/KBD had player options too. Now instead of them potentially blocking roster spots we can take 2 more swings this off-season and hopefully do better. I like that a lot.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#11 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:10 pm

Royce O’neale in his last two games:

• 18 PTS, 6 REB, 2 AST, 4-11 3PFG
• 15 PTS, 3 REB, 1 STL, 5-12 3PFG

He’s not afraid to let it fly, something this team lacks from their current defensive wings.

Read on Twitter

82% of Royce O'Neale's FGA this year have been threes. He is about to launch

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,625

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:39 pm

Golanator wrote:

I wouldn’t mess with the lineup but in certain matchups against bigger teams he definitely could start at the 3. Either way he’s going to play 20-25 minutes a game and be reliable and dependable, which other than EG we haven’t had off the bench. Love this pickup.

He was a great starter in Utah. Hasn't been quite as good in Brooklyn, but definitely better than anyone we have at wing defense/3pt. Not as good as Allen at 3s, but he will play bigger and take on a different role. Definitely better than KBD, Okogie, Yuta, etc.

He's a career 38% 3 pt shooter with fairly solid defense. It used to be better and he's dropped off a bit on that side but maybe with Vogel it gets back to where it was. His defensive rating likely looked better in Utah playing with Gobert and that team that got the top seed. He was a key reserve on that team in 18-19 when they were in the lower tier playoff teams like in the bubble where they blew the 3-1 lead to Denver, but he was a starter on the #1 seeded team and the following year when they finished with the 5th seed. Their best defender aside from Gobert. He was a starter last year in Brooklyn until they traded for DFS and since has been behind him. Still a solid defensive guy and can start if any of our starters are injured. I'd probably start him ahead of Gordon if Book, Beal or Allen are out, but probably not ahead of Allen, though moving Allen to the bench would really beef up our bench and give us better D with the starters.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,734

Post#13 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:49 pm

Some opinions? Ghost?

He's solid but not great or anything to really write home about. He'll defend and hit shots as long as those shots aren't corner threes. just does a lot of the little things as a utility wing. overall a slightly better than lateral move and dependable bench option. :D
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#14 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:51 pm

I didn't think the suns had 240 playoff minutes on the roster before today. Royce can help fill 25-35 of those.

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#15 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:14 pm

Royce O’Neale going to the Suns may seem like a small trade, but he is a fierce competitor who will make a big impact on their team defensively!

Read on Twitter
Golanator
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Golanator » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:21 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Some opinions? Ghost?

He's solid but not great or anything to really write home about. He'll defend and hit shots as long as those shots aren't corner threes. just does a lot of the little things as a utility wing. overall a slightly better than lateral move and dependable bench option. :D

Royce shoots 45% on corner 3's this season and 40% for his career, which isn't great but pretty good.

And way better than 35% Goodwin, 33% KBD, 32% Watanabe, 28% Okogie, 26% Little.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#17 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:58 pm

Royce isn't quite the defensive stalwart Okogie is but dude can and will launch 3s. That alone will keep him in the playoff rotation where JO would fall off quickly.

This is about as good (and as non-controversial) of a trade as we were likely to get and we still retained a good salary player in Little as well for the offseason.

Solid solid move
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Post#18 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:00 am

Forgot to mention he's also a sneaky passer too. In his time with the Nets, he's averaged 3.4 assists on an almost 3:1 assist to turnover ratio
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,734

Post#19 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:01 am

Golanator wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Some opinions? Ghost?

Royce shoots 45% on corner 3's this season and 40% for his career, which isn't great but pretty good.

And way better than 35% Goodwin, 33% KBD, 32% Watanabe, 28% Okogie, 26% Little.

That's good then. We'll see how he plays for us in his role and if he can shoot the same here or sustain that. :D
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,262

Post#20 » by King4Day » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:34 pm

Rankin saying he'll wear 00. Who was the last 00 for the Suns?
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley

Return to Phoenix Suns