ImageImageImage

Game 56: Phoenix Suns (33-22) @ Dallas Mavericks (32-23) l Thursday l 5:30pm l TNT

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 674

Re: Game 56: Phoenix Suns (33-22) @ Dallas Mavericks (32-23) l Thursday l 5:30pm l TNT 

Post#201 » by Hitachi77 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:09 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:I’ll say it for you Hitach… Dallas is better than us.
See, that wasn’t hard.

Dallas isn't better than us, they just won the match yesterday. We were on the road missing Beal and they were fully healthy (other than Exum).

Last year they weren't in the playoffs. Yeah, not even in the a Play-in.

33W-23L for both teams this season.

We are 1-2 against them so far this season. Just win the next one.

Ahh Saber, ever the optimist eh? I picture you jumping to your keyboard in your Suns jammies to defend the mighty purple and Orange as Steve Nash and Devon Booker posters adorn your wall. Am I close? Be honest. :wink: :P

Dallas isn’t the same team. They added two significant pieces, both of which could start on this team. We are 0-1 against them, and the matchups looked unfavorable. We can’t play big against them and we can’t play small against him. The only thing we can do is just hope book goes nuts… And that almost seems to be the prescription for our success going forward.

They may have had the best midseason dealings as any team. They will spank us in 7… much to Luka’s delight. At least this has become a feisty rivalry. They bounce us again though, it could get ugly.

PS.. Brittle Brad is a non factor. Is he that much better than Gordon? Truly.

Well they might have to deal with Denver or LAC in the first round, because they aren’t getting to the top 4. And I sure as hell would rather play them than LAC, so if they beat LAC I will high five a cactus.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Re: Game 56: Phoenix Suns (33-22) @ Dallas Mavericks (32-23) l Thursday l 5:30pm l TNT 

Post#202 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:51 pm

Maze wrote:It takes a year or two to build chemistry when you have a bunch of new pieces.I'm at the point where I'm willing to give them a pass this season.I'll wait until next year post All Star break before I really get sick.

True, but the Heatles are an exception went to the finals in Lebron’s first year there with Wade, Bosh, Allen they did have a better supporting cast. But unlike the Heat the Suns don’t have much time to wait considering Beal’s & KD’s injury history. If Phoenix can’t at least make the finals next season then this experiment failed drastically.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#203 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:54 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Dallas isn't better than us, they just won the match yesterday. We were on the road missing Beal and they were fully healthy (other than Exum).

Last year they weren't in the playoffs. Yeah, not even in the a Play-in.

33W-23L for both teams this season.

We are 1-2 against them so far this season. Just win the next one.

Ahh Saber, ever the optimist eh? I picture you jumping to your keyboard in your Suns jammies to defend the mighty purple and Orange as Steve Nash and Devon Booker posters adorn your wall. Am I close? Be honest. :wink: :P

Dallas isn’t the same team. They added two significant pieces, both of which could start on this team. We are 0-1 against them, and the matchups looked unfavorable. We can’t play big against them and we can’t play small against him. The only thing we can do is just hope book goes nuts… And that almost seems to be the prescription for our success going forward.

They may have had the best midseason dealings as any team. They will spank us in 7… much to Luka’s delight. At least this has become a feisty rivalry. They bounce us again though, it could get ugly.

PS.. Brittle Brad is a non factor. Is he that much better than Gordon? Truly.

Lol, sadly my room isn't like that but I would love to have a few more jerseys... but even swingman are too expensive for my taste.

Well, the Mavs have made a couple of trades and I really like Gafford's fit but there is not need to overrate them just because they are not on the Suns.

They lost Grant Williams (who arguably is as good as any of those two guys) Seth Curry and a FRP for PJ Washington so it's not like that they got him for free.

Gafford's trade was better for the Mavs but at the end of the day we are talking about a role player.

We have added Royce O'Neale and Thad Young who BTW just arrived two days ago. Our team is "new" too and Young hasn't even debuted yet so you can say that our record is 0-0 for the next game.

And you are fooling yourself saying "Brad Beal is non a factor". He is huge factor. It's a fact, every raw stat or advanced stat confirms it.

He can’t be a factor when he’s constantly injured. What if the 90’s Bulls had a plethora of injury how many titles or finals appearances would they achieve?

Spoiler:
I love you like a brother Saber so please be gentle :cry:
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#204 » by enigmatics » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:52 pm

Somebody needs to keep a running stat on how many pages the losses threads go vs. the wins. It's truly remarkable how miserable people can get. This fanbase is getting pretty close to Agent Orange / Vietnam PTSD.

Aside from the injury factory which is pretty clear at this point - to pretend the team as its assembled is supposed to annihilate the competition without Brad is assanine. Like what are we talking about here? It's the Big 3 and nothing else. It's known at this point. Stop pretending this Suns team is supposed to unearth an 11 deep squad. It goes as far as those 3 take them.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,540

Post#205 » by Stix » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:57 pm

enigmatics wrote:Somebody needs to keep a running stat on how many pages the losses threads go vs. the wins. It's truly remarkable how miserable people can get. This fanbase is getting pretty close to Agent Orange / Vietnam PTSD.

Aside from the injury factory which is pretty clear at this point - to pretend the team as its assembled is supposed to annihilate the competition without Brad is assanine. Like what are we talking about here? It's the Big 3 and nothing else. It's known at this point. Stop pretending this Suns team is supposed to unearth an 11 deep squad.

By that logic... we should just sit KD/Book when Beal is out. Which means they would only play about > 40% of the games.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#206 » by enigmatics » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:04 pm

Stix wrote:
enigmatics wrote:Somebody needs to keep a running stat on how many pages the losses threads go vs. the wins. It's truly remarkable how miserable people can get. This fanbase is getting pretty close to Agent Orange / Vietnam PTSD.

Aside from the injury factory which is pretty clear at this point - to pretend the team as its assembled is supposed to annihilate the competition without Brad is assanine. Like what are we talking about here? It's the Big 3 and nothing else. It's known at this point. Stop pretending this Suns team is supposed to unearth an 11 deep squad.

By that logic... we should just sit KD/Book when Beal is out. Which means they would only play about > 40% of the games.

Thank you guy who camps out on Beal's lawn.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#207 » by enigmatics » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:24 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:Another fairly close road loss against a good/hot team, without Beal, and the board freaks out again. Road games against good teams are hard to win. It’s like some of you are just getting started with the NBA.

Okogie is basically unplayable in any decent leverage moments, but we already knew that.

Surging is the word you're looking for, off the back of Kyrie coming back from injury. They were on a 6 game win streak prior to this game. No excuse but just because Dallas were behind us on the standings, doesn't mean they are worse. If anything, we're basically in the same tier as them, Pels, and the Kings.

Also agree on Okogie. While I really like him as a player, appreciate his effort and energy and what he's able to do creating 2nd chance, the fact that teams barely even think about guarding him, turns the game into a 4 on 5. I think he's a fine depth piece during the regular season but it's really hard to play a guy who nobody guards especially on the perimeter, often kills offensive flow because he can't shoot the 3 when the ball goes to him and I don't think he can physically do enough on the defensive end to become a net positive. Like this season, he has a very very solid 1.0 DBPM but that's completely offset but a negative 1.6 OBPM.

Not enough doooooooooooooooooooom in this post. :wink:

Honestly Okogie is what pisses me off about athletes and the money they make - even the Josh's of the world. Like wtf you're STILL unserviceable on offense? Hire a shot coach you lazy f-.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by enigmatics » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:27 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Having/maintaining optimism as some still do on here is important and of course encouraging, as long as it doesn't cross over to overrationalizing and diluding themselves to unecessary losses that are critical in "tiebreaker" situations and seeding determinations. I for my part understand that this was just another game against a team playing really good basketball at the right time. And I also understand that the game was somewhat close up until the middle of the 4th. Lastly, I also understand that we didn't have Beal yet again and weren't at full strength.

BUT.................... Here's what else I and others who are rightfully frustrated and concerned understand too:

1- The suns STILL HAVE THE WORST 4TH QUARTER NET RATING in the entire league after 2/3 of the season.

2- We still aren't closing out key games that could imminently affect our seeding as well as any potential ability to exercise even a modicum of load management heading into the postseason.

3- This may have just been another close loss against a good team that's playing really well! BUT again, legit contenders close out key games and now that's just another western conference rival that has taken the season series from us and will own the "tiebreaker" when positions are determined.

4- People use coping mechanisms to delude the facts and rationalize our underwhelming losses. But, These losses aren't just a result of losing a close game to a "hot team playing great basketball at the right time". Our 4th quarter and the Mavs gaining the upper hand are representative of THE SAME LINGERING ISSUES that we had and apparently still haven't remedied going all the way back to the start of the season. We've given away far too many winnable games just by the virtue of lackluster effort, taking other teams for granted and thinking we'll just coast to a win! And then getting embarrassed. Consistently making the exact same basic mistakes that were prevalent issues at the start of the season too. How many legit championship teams or legit contenders do these things and casually give away games or series matchups?? And if we're not true championship contenders, then what was the trade really for???

5- Again........why did we MORTGAGE OUR FUTURE OVER THE NEXT DECADE ???? What was our fanbase sold on all summer post trades?? Was it to be a pretty good team that can win a bunch of games and maybe make the playoffs as a 1st or 2nd round exit? Or was it to be a LEGIT CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER. Injuries or not, We could still actually choose to ............ REBOUND, ROTATE AND DEFEND THE PERIMETER, NOT BE SO CARELESS WITH THE BALL, PUT FORTH SOMETHING BETTER THAN A HALF AZZ DISINTERESTED EFFORT!!!.

This game was lost not just because we struggled to score (yet again in the 4th). But moreoverby yet again being careless with the ball, going small against their bigger frontcourt players and losing possessions that resulted in 2nd chance points and threes. AND worst of all, our defense on the perimeter sagging off their shooters continually to double and triple Luka and then NOT PUTTING FORTH THE EFFORT to recover and challenge better on the perimeter, often passively standing there and daring them to shoot!

So it's not that the sky is falling at all but rather that people are really frustrated to see professional basketball players commit the same mistakes over and over again without any consistent improvement, then put out mediocre apathetic efforts when we we sold on this team being a LEGIT CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER!! But contenders close out key games (especially with playoff seeding ranmnifications). All season we've been seeing the distimct difference from teams that ARE actually contenders playing to the level expected of them and not folding or giving away games. I'm not frustrated about them not winning the title this year, because I for my part know they're once again not legit contenders and will most likely get booted in the first or second round due to intentionally unaddressed positional depth issues, AND lack of size, athleticism, and physicality that is prevalent in the playoffs. I've excepted all of this already. However I do and will get upset or frustrated at experienced vet players and superstar level players making the same dumb mistakes over and over again all season, putting in poor effort in key moments in the games, and not figuring out even basic fundamentals of basketball after already 2/3 of the season have passed.

The sky isn't falling at all, but it's perfectly reasonable to be upset about this team being/playing like they're a full tier below actual contention considering all that was given up to sell the fanbase on them being LEGITIMATE CONTENDERS. They can be better, play better, and just need to decide to be that instead of what they're showing everyone. :wink:

ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,100

Post#209 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:24 pm

Maze wrote:It takes a year or two to build chemistry when you have a bunch of new pieces.I'm at the point where I'm willing to give them a pass this season.I'll wait until next year post All Star break before I really get sick.

Get ready to vomit for 6 years! :lol:

I think the reason everyone's so down when we lose is that there's so much riding on this season. Big money dedicated to older vets that can't be moved unless we rebuild - and we can't rebuild.

We're all in and yet, we have just a puncher's chase. There are eight teams in the west who could make the finals, where the buzzsaw that is Boston awaits. That's a hard position to be in if you're a die-hard.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,290

Post#210 » by Frank Lee » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:07 am

So Allen buries a 3 less than 2 minutes in…. Then hit a second one 2 mins in the second Q….

Then doesn’t take a shot the rest of the way.

Anything wrong with that picture?
What ? Me Worry ?

Return to Phoenix Suns