ImageImageImage

Monty Williams Coaching Grade

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

How do you grade Monty Williams time with the Suns?

A
7%
B
43%
C
29%
D
14%
F
7%

Total votes: 14

GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Monty Williams Coaching Grade 

Post#1 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:53 pm

Pistons fan here. I’m super curious how the Suns fan base rated Monty’s coaching tenure with the team.

He’s done a lot of head scratching things with the Pistons so far and I’m trying to keep an open mind.

Is there a method to his madness?

I’m hoping to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Any feedback beyond the grades is appreciated.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Re: Monty Williams Coaching Grade 

Post#2 » by sunsbg » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:04 pm

Mods, maybe make below thread sticky for Pistons fans impressed with Monty's coaching. :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2342029
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#3 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:08 pm

sunsbg wrote:Mods, maybe make below thread sticky for Pistons fans impressed with Monty's coaching. :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2342029

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that thread.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,143

Post#4 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:22 pm

I hate Monty with a passion....Wait let me take that back.... Monty is great....as a dude...bad as a coach... I hate coach monty with a passion...
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#5 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:38 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:I hate Monty with a passion....Wait let me take that back.... Monty is great....as a dude...bad as a coach... I hate coach monty with a passion...

Is there anything positive about his coaching?

I can’t understand why he’s playing recently acquired fringe NBA players that won’t be on the team next season like Malachi Flynn & Shake Milton.

Marcus Sasser has show so much as a rookie and I can’t understand why he’s wasting development minutes on those guys.

Do the Pistons have to bring in Chris Paul to help right the ship?
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#6 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:52 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:I hate Monty with a passion....Wait let me take that back.... Monty is great....as a dude...bad as a coach... I hate coach monty with a passion...

I can’t understand why he’s playing recently acquired fringe NBA players that won’t be on the team next season like Malachi Flynn & Shake Milton.

Marcus Sasser has show so much as a rookie and I can’t understand why he’s wasting development minutes on those guys.

No this is what monty does... No1 had any idea what was doing with his line ups and minutes.... he will play a guy 40 minutes then no minutes than 15 minutes then forget they are on the team then play them 8 minutes randomly....

He will fall into love with some random trash bags on ur team and play them over other guys because he wants them to date his daughter or something...
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#7 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:13 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

No this is what monty does... No1 had any idea what was doing with his line ups and minutes.... he will play a guy 40 minutes then no minutes than 15 minutes then forget they are on the team then play them 8 minutes randomly....

He will fall into love with some random trash bags on ur team and play them over other guys because he wants them to date his daughter or something...

Well then, that’s not the hope I was looking for :lol:

Here’s to hoping he has an Ime Udoka scandal to get himself removed

:party:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:45 pm

Tough one. The team got better in his first year but they went from having a G league level PG to Rubio and then they got elite in their 2nd year but added CP3, who I think was responsible for most of that. However, I think he's a decent coach when it comes to motivating people and creating a great culture. But my main opinion about coaches is most all of them are a product with how good their talent is.

I give him a B.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 6,001

Post#9 » by kennydorglas » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:03 pm

cp3 made him look like a great coach tbh
everytime we needed some adjustments from him, he failed
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#10 » by sunskerr » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:02 am

He's a guy who plays favorites. In Phoenix it was Landry Shamet. In Detroit it was Killian. In fact it looks like the FO had to literally take things into their own hands and waive Killian to stop Monty from playing him, since he was so awful.

Im similar to bwgood where I think coaching is largely just dependent on the roster's overall talent (although I am starting to think there is some bigger impact on defense).

Like last year, I can't actually fault Monty for playing Shamet (even though the minutes were insufferable) because our bench was god awful consisting of players like Ross, Warren, Craig, Biyombo (I know im forgetting another washed player's name) etc. So in all fairness, what is Monty supposed to do when Chris Paul is injured, and Ross and Warren were worse?

But that favoritism eventually gets exposed on a team like the Pistons where Jaden Ivey's development is paramount and both Ivey and Sasser is just obviously better players than Killian.

It really probably was just CP3 running our offense.
Iceman36
Sophomore
And1: 311

Post#11 » by Iceman36 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:Tough one. The team got better in his first year but they went from having a G league level PG to Rubio and then they got elite in their 2nd year but added CP3, who I think was responsible for most of that. However, I think he's a decent coach when it comes to motivating people and creating a great culture. But my main opinion about coaches is most all of them are a product with how good their talent is.

I give him a B.

CP3 was a f*cking genius and ran the team. He is maybe the most intelligent player ever and will be a great coach once. He has my highest respect. I only thank Monty for creating a great team atmosphere, but when it comes down on pure coaching, oh my…
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#12 » by sunsbg » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:56 am

To be fair Monty's 0.5 offense ran by Ricky was looking good and the culture thing was a plus too. Then him not being able to deal with Ayton and Crowder situations and now reading about favouritism on the Pistons team too. Sounds like he needs a great playmaker for his teams to be successful and he's an overrated culture guy too. It's Pistons FO fault though they gave him such undeserved contract.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,258

Post#13 » by Bogyo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:44 am

sunsbg wrote:To be fair Monty's 0.5 offense ran by Ricky was looking good and the culture thing was a plus too. Then him not being able to deal with Ayton and Crowder situations and now reading about favouritism on the Pistons team too. Sounds like he needs a great playmaker for his teams to be successful and he's an overrated culture guy too. It's Pistons FO fault though they gave him such undeserved contract.

Yea, he (like every coach a bit) needs players to buy into whatever he is selling. My favourite pet-peeve regarding this up here was always the Kokoskov thing. Look at that dude and his interviews, his coaching stuff, etc... almost identical to Monty with the 0,5 offense, and everything else. Yet his players did not buy it, as he had no real floor general, and he was a funny accent eastern european old white dude with a bunch of young black guys...

Monty is not as good as he was made out to be by some (here as well). He is not as bad as the team and the results so far in Detroit though.
# waiting for the next chapter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:52 pm

I also think I'd give Monty at least 2 years and he probably needs a locker room leader vet, and with another high draft pick, if you can nail it, they should look quite a bit better next year. If they can get Topic' or maybe Sarr, that could help a lot, though they are very young, so perhaps more down the line.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#15 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:31 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I also think I'd give Monty at least 2 years and he probably needs a locker room leader vet, and with another high draft pick, if you can nail it, they should look quite a bit better next year. If they can get Topic' or maybe Sarr, that could help a lot, though they are very young, so perhaps more down the line.

Nah Pistons are smart... They hired the worst coach in the league to tank and get them good picks... whenever they are close to competing they will fire him...

100% watch whenever the pistons get enough talent and are ready to push for the playoffs monty is gone...

Remember this.

Return to Phoenix Suns