ImageImageImage

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title 

Post#281 » by Biff » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 pm

Revived wrote:
“It’s like looney tunes around here,” the Suns source told Hoops Wire. “It’s felt unstable since (Ishbia) arrived. He’s a good guy and everything, I think, but he’s just very involved. Too involved. I know he played (college basketball at Michigan State), but I’d venture to say he has no idea what he’s doing when it comes to basketball. Yet he’s making a lot of the big decisions.”

The source went on to compare Ishbia’s ownership to the ownership of Dan Gilbert with the Cleveland Cavaliers in the early 2000s. Gilbert is also a Michigan State product — though he and Ishbia own competing mortgage companies and reportedly don’t speak at league owners’ meetings, or really, any other time. They’re said not to like each other.

“Back in the day, the Cavs’ basketball staff would do their coaching search, and Dan would do his coaching search,” the source said. “He’s not like that now, from everything I know. He lets the basketball people handle that stuff. Ishbia doesn’t. He’s a pain in the (butt) to be honest.”

After buying the Suns for a reported $4 billion, Ishbia made dramatic changes to everything from the front office to the team roster. So far, none of it has worked.

“There aren’t too many examples where a young owner comes in, gets super involved, and then the team has great success,” the source said. “What you usually get is where (the Suns) are now.”

That last quote and the “ Ishbia doesn’t. He’s a pain in the (butt) to be honest” are the most important quotes here.

I really could @ the posters here who kept arguing when I said Sarver was a far better owner than Ishbia because he had finally learned to let the basketball people handle the basketball aspect.

It sucks for Suns fans that we have to go through this learning process for ANOTHER owner. Guys like Joe Lacob and Steve Ballmer bought teams and hired the best basketball people to make the basketball decisions. Why couldn’t we get an owner like that?

I'm not a Sarver fan (are you forgetting the ESPN piece on him?) but I agree that Ishbia may end up being even worse. We went from an incompetent moron that meddled too much (Sarver was the reason we drafted Ayton) and especially early on didn't want to spend money to another incompetent moron that wants to blow his money like some bigshot AND is meddlesome. I very much would have loved to get a shrewd owner that wouldn't mind spending if everything lines up. Trading to assemble a team with 3 redundant stars and blowing up the rest of the decades assets to get them was not "lining everything up". It was maybe the dumbest basketball moves I've seen in a long time. Probably since the Nets traded everything for old ass washed up KG and Pierce. It was wild seeing some Suns fans actually cheer for these trades. Wish I remembered which of you did because then I'd know which opinions not to take seriously.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,096

Post#282 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

How was this not OBVIOUS to everybody? I don't get it. I'm in **** Argentina and I could clearly see what this guy is about. You just hear him in interviews and you can feel it.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,210

Post#283 » by RaisingArizona » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:02 pm

Someone just said Sarver was better than Ish? I guess him dismantling a potential dynasty all to save a penny was forgotten? How about him trying to move the Suns from Phoenix? Revisionist history. This place has become worse than this team.
RaisingArizona
RealGM

Post#284 » by RaisingArizona » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:I want JJ gone and I want it now

I repeat
Calvin Klein
RealGM

Post#285 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:Someone just said Sarver was better than Ish? I guess him dismantling a potential dynasty all to save a penny was forgotten? How about him trying to move the Suns from Phoenix? Revisionist history. This place has become worse than this team.

Both are awful. There's no need to defend one over the other.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#286 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:Someone just said Sarver was better than Ish? I guess him dismantling a potential dynasty all to save a penny was forgotten? How about him trying to move the Suns from Phoenix? Revisionist history. This place has become worse than this team.

Sarver was crass but he learned from his mistakes. It was night and day with him compared to what he was like early on as the owner.

It's just funny to me now - because most of the fan base was blood thirsty to replace him with a big spender owner. They got one and now so many are like "Oh I didn't mean THAT kind of big spender." So convenient.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,288

Post#287 » by Slim Charless » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Biff wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Knicks have a ton of picks so might be an option. They can send us Randle and Divicenzo to be tank commanders with Beal.

-Suns don't have their picks so "tank commander" stuff is dumb.

-Trading him to Brooklyn is pointless as they have nothing to offer aside from our picks back. Also dumb

-Randle and Donte aren't enough for a player of Booker's quality and won't move the needle.

Steven A is a hack.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#288 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Had there been just one freaking competent PG on the roster to facilitate. JJ and this trio of Big 3 clowns just wouldn't let it happen. I never want to hear about something in "threes" again. It started with the Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas crap and then we got it again with Book, Beal, Durant.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#289 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Biff wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Knicks have a ton of picks so might be an option. They can send us Randle and Divicenzo to be tank commanders with Beal.

-Suns don't have their picks so "tank commander" stuff is dumb.

-Trading him to Brooklyn is pointless as they have nothing to offer aside from our picks back. Also dumb

-Randle and Donte aren't enough for a player of Booker's quality and won't move the needle.

Steven A is a hack.

Booker needs to go though man. It's painfully obvious.
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#290 » by LV-Suns » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

enigmatics wrote:Had there been just one freaking competent PG on the roster to facilitate. JJ and this trio of Big 3 clowns just wouldn't let it happen. I never want to hear about something in "threes" again. It started with the Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas crap and then we got it again with Book, Beal, Durant.

Why did we go dump Payne in the first place? And then carried Damian Lee on the roster all season.
I Dont wanna be here
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,996

Post#291 » by TeamTragic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:15 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Booker the no show wants to play for the #2 seed Knicks? Did he learn that move from KD?

Maybe wants to shrink even further and be the fifth option. Sorry Book but the Knicks have players with heart that play hard.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#292 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:17 pm

LV-Suns wrote:
enigmatics wrote:Had there been just one freaking competent PG on the roster to facilitate. JJ and this trio of Big 3 clowns just wouldn't let it happen. I never want to hear about something in "threes" again. It started with the Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas crap and then we got it again with Book, Beal, Durant.

Why did we go dump Payne in the first place? And then carried Damian Lee on the roster all season.

I know some of you like to romanticize that guy - but Payne is not what I meant. I'm talking an ACTUAL point guard - not an undersized combo-guard who is one-handed and has an ugly hitch in his shooting mechanics who's prone to playing out of control at times.

The reason CP3 made such an impact was because he was a coach on the court, not to mention a leader - something Book, Beal, and KD are not and never will be.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,996

Post#293 » by TeamTragic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:17 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Guess what? It shows on the court and everyone including Matt need to take a good hard look in the mirror.
RaisingArizona
RealGM

Post#294 » by RaisingArizona » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:20 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:

One is at least upgrading facilities, purchasing a G League team, and spending the most in the league. The moves haven't all panned out obviously, but one is trying to win.. Sarver was in it for the $$$
RaisingArizona
RealGM

Post#295 » by RaisingArizona » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:21 pm

LV-Suns wrote:

James Jones.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,639

Post#296 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:I want JJ gone and I want it now

It’s my money and I want it now!
Calvin Klein
RealGM

Post#297 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:

One is at least upgrading facilities, purchasing a G League team, and spending the most in the league. The moves haven't all panned out obviously, but one is trying to win.. Sarver was in it for the $$$

He also killed any chance on winning in the next 7 years. Nice try though.

and for the love of god....You think Ishbia IS NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#298 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:24 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:

While it’s true, Sarver finally decided to take a backseat and allow basketball minds to make decisions. Sadly for him it was too late to save face considering the allegations against him. But I’d take the new approach Sarver minus the allegations over what Ishbia has done to our team in a matter of months.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#299 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:25 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:

He also killed any chance on winning in the next 7 years. Nice try though.

and for the love of god....You think Ishbia IS NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They’re all in it for the money. Greedy bastards want more even if it hurts the fans and the team.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#300 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:26 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:

I mean I get what you're saying - but it's pretty clear Ishbia is trying to sell tickets first. You can see it in the home games, which are infested with the over-produced douchebaggery. He turned them into a road show and did it in less than 2 years.

I'm of the mind that you win first and then try to dress the rest of it up for more appeal.

Return to Phoenix Suns