ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What WC and EC team are you pulling for in the 2nd round?

Mavs
3%
Nuggets
8%
Thunder
19%
Twolves
20%
Cavs
2%
Celtics
3%
Knicks
19%
Pacers
27%

Total votes: 64

TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,006

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#321 » by TeamTragic » Sun May 5, 2024 11:26 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:Per Stein Lue wants to stay with the Clippers. Harden chose the Clippers so I don't see him leaving either.

He also chose to go to Houston, Brooklyn and Philly as well

Harden just got traded to the Clippers back in October :lol:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,802

Re: Around the NBA - 23-24 Other playoff series 

Post#322 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 6, 2024 12:25 am

bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
What we really need is the opposite of a leader who is more injured than anyone who chokes in big games. What does he average? 10 games a season the last 5-7 years?

Beal for Simmons is a GREAT move because he's an expiring. But that's precisely why they won't trade him for Beal lol.

But it doesn't create cap space, and Beal is definitely the superior player who is actually far more healthy.

Not by itself of course as there'd need to be some follow-up trades if that was the only singular goal. But what it could do that so many people here seem to be willfully ignoring is..................................

1- As a 40 million expiring, it could actually provide us with options that we currently just don't have with Beal as is. Again, right now we really have no options to make roster adjustments because thanks to our front office being completely delusional, going to the extreme, and giving away all of our assets and space, etc. we're completely stuck in a hopeless situation outside of maybe trading one of KD, Booker, or convincing Beal to agree to a trade anyways!

- It could provide us an out from Beal's 50+ million salary and even though (by itself) it obviously wouldn't get us cap space, it would clearly give us a springboard towards getting under the 2nd apron and start creating avenues to actually make adjustments that we're currently prohibited from.

- It'd give us a 40 million expiring that we could flip elsewhere to another tax team that is seeking cap reduction or tax relief in exchange for actual better depth pieces than we constantly field from the vet min options.

- IF he was able/willing to play (in a very implied role) absent of significant pressure, He'd give us a 6'11 mobile jumbo wing forward with size that actually has defensive acumen, ballhandling ability, and playmaking ability. All of these things are obviously things that our team is sorely missing anyways. We don't really need more offensive weapons anyways, and in removing that offensive pressure from the equation with Simmons, it might allow him to feel comfortable and focus on defense, ballhandling, and playmaking, while also not needing, wanting, or dominating the ball when it's clearly much better in Booker and Durants' hands anyways. I'm talking about placing him in a very simplified role that accentuates his natural abilities that he's already proven to excel at previously in his career.

I really can't understand how people keep overlooking the value in these considerations when currently as is, our team has none of these options and clearly isn't a legitimate contender anyways. And honestly, If people just can't stomach the idea of these possibilities under that condition, we can again easily just flip Simmons expiring to some team that is seeking significant cap relief or tax reduction for multiple depth pieces obviously better than what our vet min retread options would provide.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#323 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 6, 2024 1:44 am

dremill24 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://fadeawayworld.net/5-best-destinations-for-kevin-durant-if-he-demands-a-trade-again-this-offseason

IF KD was to get frustrated and ask out, how would you guys rate these trade destination ideas?

I think for my part, I'd rank them as :
1- OKC Thunder.
2- Atlanta Hawks.
3- Golden State Warriors.
4- Miami Heat.
5- LA Lakers.

Definitely would send him to OKC so they can win a chip.

Those other deals are hot garbage.

Most KD deals are going to look like 'hot garbage.' You're not going to be able to trade him for an 'upgrade.'

Very true! There's really no way we can get equal value back in any trade for KD, and it will only drop further due to age and decline-related value depreciation too. OKC would be the best destination in a "blow it up" scenario for their premium picks and young talent. Atlanta probably for a slight roster alteration to add more depth and try to run it back around a backcourt of Booker and Beal. Although I might prefer Hunter to Bogdan for defensive purposes although Bogdan is a scrappy and energetic perimeter defender as well?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#324 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 6, 2024 2:14 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10119917-nba-scout-rips-suns-lack-of-physicality-as-kevin-durant-doesnt-want-to-play-the-4

NBA Scout Rips Suns' Lack of Physicality as Kevin Durant 'Doesn't Want to Play the 4'
TYLER CONWAY X
MAY 5, 2024

The Phoenix Suns need a major overhaul to their roster if they want to compete for an NBA championship, according to one scout.

"They are poorly constructed," the scout told Ric Bucher of Fox Sports. "Where is their bench? Where is their rim-protecting, shot-blocking big as a starter or off the bench? Where is a decision-making point guard as a starter or off the bench? Where is their 6'7" defensive wing? Where is a power forward who plays with size and physicality, since KD doesn't want to play the 4? Where is their size? They are too small. All of that is essential to a winning franchise with championship aspirations."

The Suns were swept by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round of the playoffs despite spending heavily to pair Kevin Durant, Devin Booker and Bradley Beal. The trio will make a combined $151.1 million next season, or about $10 million more than the projected salary cap. Add in the $33.7 million heading Jusuf Nurkic and Grayson Allen's way, and they're already above the first tax apron with five players. Phoenix has been bound to be a second-apron team from the moment it acquired Beal, but this will greatly limit the front office's ability to land role players. The occasional late-career player may want to try chasing a ring in Phoenix, but these Suns did not look close to winning a championship.

The Suns spent most of the season closer to being a Play-In Tournament team than a true contender. While Beal's injury issues played a factor in the team's inability to cohesively play together, they're still lacking a true primary ball-handler, rim protection and depth on the bench.

Those aren't issues that are going to be easily solvable with the minimum contracts the Suns will have available.

All factors discussed in this article were widely known areas of concern and discussion since the beginning of the season and were glaringly exposed in the playoffs. These weaknesses seem fairly obvious to most everyone, yet our front office made no real attempts to address any of these obvious concerns. Now sure we'll have vet minimum options at our disposal, but again, which vet min options out there does anyone seriously think will address these weaknesses any better than what we could more easily find at the lowest possible cost from the draft? When you read through the article and see legit NBA scouts also recognize these same issues we've discussed for so long to no avail, How can our front office not easily recognize this too? Are they just going to continue being too arrogant and stubborn to take accountability and choose to fix these things?
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,305

Post#325 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 2:45 am

TeamTragic wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://fadeawayworld.net/5-best-destinations-for-kevin-durant-if-he-demands-a-trade-again-this-offseason

5 Best Destinations For Kevin Durant If He Demands A Trade Again This Offseason

Exploring the best destinations for Kevin Durant if he demands a trade away from the Suns.
FRAN LEIVA
8 HOURS AGO

1- A Long-Awaited Reunion In San Francisco
Golden State Warriors Receive:
Kevin Durant.

Phoenix Suns Receive:
Andrew Wiggins, Jonathan Kuminga, Moses Moody, 2025 first-round pick, 2027 first-round pick.

2- Redemption In Oklahoma City With The Young Thunder
Oklahoma City Thunder Receive:
Kevin Durant.

Phoenix Suns Receive:
Lu Dort, Josh Giddey, Aaron Wiggins, 2025 first-round pick (76ers), 2027 first-round pick (Thunder), 2027 first-round pick (Nuggets).

3- The Miami Heat Find Their Missing Piece
Miami Heat Receive:
Kevin Durant.

Phoenix Suns Receive:
Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson, Nikola Jovic, Jaime Jaquez, 2024 first-round pick.

4- The Lakers Form An Incredible Big 3
Los Angeles Lakers Receive:
Kevin Durant.

Phoenix Suns Receive:
D’Angelo Russell, Rui Hachimura, Taurean Prince, Max Christie, 2029 First-Round Pick, 2030 First-Round Pick Swap.

5- The Hawks Give Trae Young A New Superstar
Atlanta Hawks Receive:
Kevin Durant.

Phoenix Suns Receive:
Dejounte Murray, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Onyeka Okongwu, 2024 first-round pick (Kings), 2024 first-round pick, 2029 first-round pick.

IF KD was to get frustrated and ask out, how would you guys rate these trade destination ideas?

I think for my part, I'd rank them as :
1- OKC Thunder.
2- Atlanta Hawks.
3- Golden State Warriors.
4- Miami Heat.
5- LA Lakers.

Atlanta
OKC
Miami

Is my order. The other 2 don't register on my radar. But FTR, my personal belief is that Trae gets moved and DJM is the one the stays. So that ATL deal is a pipe dream IMO.

That Miami deal is intriguing to me though. I'll do that....if the Heat don't trade Jimmy-which they just might.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,655

Re: Around the NBA - 23-24 Other playoff series 

Post#326 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:59 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:
Beal for Simmons is a GREAT move because he's an expiring. But that's precisely why they won't trade him for Beal lol.

But it doesn't create cap space, and Beal is definitely the superior player who is actually far more healthy.

Not by itself of course as there'd need to be some follow-up trades if that was the only singular goal. But what it could do that so many people here seem to be willfully ignoring is..................................

1- As a 40 million expiring, it could actually provide us with options that we currently just don't have with Beal as is. Again, right now we really have no options to make roster adjustments because thanks to our front office being completely delusional, going to the extreme, and giving away all of our assets and space, etc. we're completely stuck in a hopeless situation outside of maybe trading one of KD, Booker, or convincing Beal to agree to a trade anyways!

- It could provide us an out from Beal's 50+ million salary and even though (by itself) it obviously wouldn't get us cap space, it would clearly give us a springboard towards getting under the 2nd apron and start creating avenues to actually make adjustments that we're currently prohibited from.

- It'd give us a 40 million expiring that we could flip elsewhere to another tax team that is seeking cap reduction or tax relief in exchange for actual better depth pieces than we constantly field from the vet min options.

- IF he was able/willing to play (in a very implied role) absent of significant pressure, He'd give us a 6'11 mobile jumbo wing forward with size that actually has defensive acumen, ballhandling ability, and playmaking ability. All of these things are obviously things that our team is sorely missing anyways. We don't really need more offensive weapons anyways, and in removing that offensive pressure from the equation with Simmons, it might allow him to feel comfortable and focus on defense, ballhandling, and playmaking, while also not needing, wanting, or dominating the ball when it's clearly much better in Booker and Durants' hands anyways. I'm talking about placing him in a very simplified role that accentuates his natural abilities that he's already proven to excel at previously in his career.

I really can't understand how people keep overlooking the value in these considerations when currently as is, our team has none of these options and clearly isn't a legitimate contender anyways. And honestly, If people just can't stomach the idea of these possibilities under that condition, we can again easily just flip Simmons expiring to some team that is seeking significant cap relief or tax reduction for multiple depth pieces obviously better than what our vet min retread options would provide.

Seems like people continue to view expirings as some sort of good thing or valuable asset. Usually what you can get for an expiring is a player on that a team doesn't want because they are not on a good contract (eg, Beal). He WAS that player we got for an expiring. We won't likely find anything nearly as good.

As far as bad contract, cap relief, second apron, etc....it's not my money so I am not concerned like some about saving Ishbia money. The only year his contract will matter and hurt us bad is the year after KD expires, IF we don't re-sign KD, but knowing Ishbia, he will re-sign KD to a 4 year contract when he's 38. Or, when Beal is an expiring, maybe we can flip him for another bad contract people will complain about.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,792

Post#327 » by sunsbum » Mon May 6, 2024 6:24 am

bwgood77 wrote:Does anyone want to chip in for a billboard that says "Ishbia, pull your head out of your ass!"

I’ll chip in for one that says “Jesus was a 7th grader once, don’t trade another pick”
I hate this team.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,967

Post#328 » by Saberestar » Mon May 6, 2024 7:46 am

We will know probably about Vogel tomorrow and it's gonna be huge for the rest of the offseason.

IF he finally is fired I expect is to be somewhat interested in JJ Redick and a HC.

He agrees with the sentiment of not needing a clear cut PG.

Read on Twitter
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,128

Post#329 » by garrick » Mon May 6, 2024 8:33 am

Saberestar wrote:We will know probably about Vogel tomorrow and it's gonna be huge for the rest of the offseason.

IF he finally is fired I expect is to be somewhat interested in JJ Redick and a HC.

Read on Twitter

There's no way KD, Beal and Book are going to respect JJ as a first time coach and someone who isn't that far removed from his playing days.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#330 » by Puff » Mon May 6, 2024 8:47 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Puff wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:Kolek would be a great addition to this team. Pass 1st PG is our biggest need. It'd be better if he was a little more able to hold up defensively, but still. Great fit.

No it's not. That is unless you move Booker or Beal. He probably will help us in the future but our biggest priority by far is another nasty big that wants to rebound and play defense.

A new head coach could solve the point guard issue.

If we have a legit big available to us as a free agent, I am all for Kolek.

We cannot go into next season with Nurkic and Drew as our bigs. Bol Bol is either a SG or SF.

The real problem is having these three guys in the starting lineup

Booker
Beal
Allen

We are far too small.

We could not get a rebound to save our soul last year when really needed to.

I agree with both. Kolek would be awesome...he has the same draft profile Nash did with better shooting and passing, but a great defensive big would be nice. However, I don't see any real impact bigs in our range who would be more than likely a 3rd stringer.

You also can't expect Kolek to start. Beal comes out at like the 5 minute mark. That's when you would bring him in. It will be MUCH easier for a good shooting/passing/crafty PG to excel with so many scoring and shooting weapons.

Best case for me is drafting Kolek and trading Nurk and something else for a younger defensive big. I have no idea who that could be though..I really wouldn't want to add our 31 pick but not sure what else we would want to add that a team would value. We have Little but don't see a team valuing that.

I would rather have Capela, who is a great defensive, rebounding, finishing big, but he expires before Nurk...and is better...though they have Okongwu.

I know it's not popular to bring up Ayton but thinking about things, I would have loved to have D'Antoni with our last team run and gun with Ayton, Bridges and that crew, and even with our crew now and Ayton instead of Nurk. Ayton was in like the 95th percentile on fast breaks as was Booker and if we tried to get shots up in 7 seconds or less, Ayton wouldn't have time to hesitate and overthing things. He would just be a finisher and attract gravity to open up shooters. He would have looked infinitely better in a D'Antoni offense..that's the kind of style that would have maximized his play. But Paul wanted to slow things down, let the defense set, and make things tougher for us offensively, even though him and Book were good clutch players. But on this team without a leader, it would have been better without our ball pounding, taking turns mentality.

I would have been all in with D'Antoni prior to the KD trade or even after it instead of Kevin Young. However, I just do not buy the CP3 is washed stuff. He certainly is not 30 yr old CP3. CP3 pounded the ball and made clutch shots in the 4th quarter for 51 straight wins when we had the lead starting the 4th quarter. I think we would have been much better off with him than Beal. We then have CP3 playing limited minutes in a bench role with Point Book and Greyson Allen as the starters in the Back Court. CP3 then is fazed in as our head coach. Maybe Player coach. That is what he was anyway. We also open up that PF/C to put with Nurkic and KD.

The missing piece to the puzzle is not Kolek, he appears to have what we need at the point, but there appears to be several bigs available at where we are picking. Somehow someway we need to get an additional big. It does not have to be a 7' center but the guy needs to be a rebounding hustling SOB. A mean streak would be nice. History told us last year that if we rebounded well and did not turn it over we had a very good chance to win.

I would love to have Capella. I remember when we were going to draft Doncic and go after Capella in free agency. Imagine how good that could have been.

I doubt Atlanta would do this trade, but I would love to trade Beal to them for Capella and Murray. I had a dream.

I also think it was a mistake trading Ayton, even though I was a big critic of his. Especially after firing Monty.

There are moves that could really help this team, I just doubt that our management is up to the task.

I also hated the KD trade like a lot of other folks including you.
      "Good Luck Coach Bud" You are going to need it.:crazy:
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#331 » by Saberestar » Mon May 6, 2024 9:02 am

garrick wrote:
Saberestar wrote:We will know probably about Vogel tomorrow and it's gonna be huge for the rest of the offseason.

Read on Twitter

There's no way KD, Beal and Book are going to respect JJ as a first time coach and someone who isn't that far removed from his playing days.

IDK, there aren't too many good options out there.

Vogel has tons of experience and won it all in this league already and he failed this season for us.

Redick is close to Book, KD and Beal and they probably are happy playing for a "teammate". He seems to have a nice brain for basketball.

Obviously managing different personalities could be difficult for him but you can say that about every other rookie HC.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#332 » by Saberestar » Mon May 6, 2024 9:12 am

With Lue out... which HC is available and good enough to replace Vogel?

Budenholzer is the only name in my mind.
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,659

Post#333 » by schnakenpopanz » Mon May 6, 2024 9:49 am

Obradovic would be a dream in a parallel world.
These sugar coated millionaires would finally learn how to play basketball and fundamentals.
free steve nash!
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,140

Post#334 » by Calvin Klein » Mon May 6, 2024 11:00 am

schnakenpopanz wrote:Obradovic would be a dream in a parallel world.
These sugar coated millionaires would finally learn how to play basketball and fundamentals.

After what happened to David Blatt I doubt those kind of coaches work in the NBA.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,843

Post#335 » by RedIndian » Mon May 6, 2024 11:09 am

Saberestar wrote:With Lue out... which HC is available and good enough to replace Vogel?

Budenholzer and Atkinson are the former HCs available.

Bud won't be terrible, but he's not without his flaws. Very rigid in his defensive scheme (drop only), and very rigid in his rotations as well (will only play 7-8 guys and vets only). Not great at player development either. But I guess that doesn't matter given that we have no young players on this roster.
On the positive side, his offense will make shooting 3s an absolute priority, which is something this team badly needs.

Atkinson has a great reputation for player development, and was literally run out of Brooklyn by KD and Kyrie. Can't see him being very eager to work with KD again.

Rookie head coaching candidates would be Charles Lee (Boston lead assistant) and Chris Quinn (Spo's main assistant for the last several years). Have to say that Quinn is really intriguing. Spo is good enough that he should have a coaching tree soon, and Quinn is very highly rated.

Redick and Stackhouse would be left-field candidates. Can't see either of them being appointed really.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,140

Post#336 » by Calvin Klein » Mon May 6, 2024 11:27 am

People just don't learn. After the colossal disaster this season has been there are some people still asking for over the hill, overpaid divas.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#337 » by Saberestar » Mon May 6, 2024 11:49 am

RedIndian wrote:
Saberestar wrote:With Lue out... which HC is available and good enough to replace Vogel?

Budenholzer and Atkinson are the former HCs available.

Bud won't be terrible, but he's not without his flaws. Very rigid in his defensive scheme (drop only), and very rigid in his rotations as well (will only play 7-8 guys and vets only). Not great at player development either. But I guess that doesn't matter given that we have no young players on this roster.
On the positive side, his offense will make shooting 3s an absolute priority, which is something this team badly needs.

Atkinson has a great reputation for player development, and was literally run out of Brooklyn by KD and Kyrie. Can't see him being very eager to work with KD again.

Rookie head coaching candidates would be Charles Lee (Boston lead assistant) and Chris Quinn (Spo's main assistant for the last several years). Have to say that Quinn is really intriguing. Spo is good enough that he should have a coaching tree soon, and Quinn is very highly rated.

Redick and Stackhouse would be left-field candidates. Can't see either of them being appointed really.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think Budenholzer will be our next HC.

Like you said Atkinson probably isn't considered for the job. And the other good available options would be rookie HCs.

Budenholzer is from Arizona and he was interested in the Suns when we signed Monty Williams.

Regarding his defensive schemes...what I know is that he made nice adjustments when we played the Bucks in the Finals. We attacked Brook Lopez in P&Rs and CP3 and Book got whatever they wanted in the first few games of those series.

He made some adjustments and I really liked how they hided Brook or even Portis for the rest of the series. We couldn't get the same type of advantage on the perimeter again, it was a nice move for sure.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#338 » by dremill24 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:44 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:

Most KD deals are going to look like 'hot garbage.' You're not going to be able to trade him for an 'upgrade.'

Very true! There's really no way we can get equal value back in any trade for KD, and it will only drop further due to age and decline-related value depreciation too. OKC would be the best destination in a "blow it up" scenario for their premium picks and young talent. Atlanta probably for a slight roster alteration to add more depth and try to run it back around a backcourt of Booker and Beal. Although I might prefer Hunter to Bogdan for defensive purposes although Bogdan is a scrappy and energetic perimeter defender as well?

Split the difference? KD to OKC; Dort, picks to ATL; D Murray, Wallace, K Williams, any leftover pick(s) to PHX.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,305

Post#339 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 4:42 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Let's start a "go fund me"! :D
I'm pretty sure we could get a ton of sympathy offerings alone after the press conference that he and Jones gave.
Saberestar wrote:Who would you like to play for the Suns?

Serious question because I have seen from you that you like (something along the lines) hard workers and unselfish players with no ego. Who can fit that mold?

After this disgraceful showing, I wonder if Franz can be had? Am I insane to think there's a Beal possibility there lol?

PS: Worst game 7 in NBA history I think for the mins played

Dude's 22 while putting up 20/5/4 in the regular season and 21/7/4 in the playoffs (ex G7). He's got a bright future and certainly not gonna be traded over one bad game

Isn't just 1 bad game, his shooting percentage and ppg both fell this season over last. They normally go up over 1 yr to the other, his went the opposite direction. Is he a bum?

No. But I wouldn't be calling him #2 on a title contending team, nor would I be considering him a #3 option either for that matter.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#340 » by Saberestar » Mon May 6, 2024 4:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns