ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What WC and EC team are you pulling for in the 2nd round?

Mavs
3%
Nuggets
8%
Thunder
19%
Twolves
20%
Cavs
2%
Celtics
3%
Knicks
19%
Pacers
27%

Total votes: 64

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,644

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#381 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue May 7, 2024 3:20 am

Frank Lee wrote:Who’d want to coach this squad ? This isnt a dream job. A meddling know it all impulsive owner with distant outdated advisory board, a yes man puppet Gm, a roster maxed out of money and sold out of picks, with borderline line malcontent divas on the verge if implosion…

Yeah… sign me up

You really think you can coach them and make a difference? I hope suns hire a nobody and he exceeds expectations.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,656

Post#382 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:24 am

Stark wrote:After being totally on board with blowing it up aftermath of the disaster Wolves series. Here I am, the trade machine in front of me, thinking of any kind of solution to make this team work with the limited options the Suns have.

I don't think Beal is tradable because of his contract but I believe the first plan should be to try to trade him for some depth and pieces as many suggested before. Lakers, Miami or Warriors (especially if they part ways with Klay) might be crazy enough to give it a shot and Beal might also wanna play for these teams but I see the chances of an actual trade happening very slim.

What would you guys think of trade packages like:

-Reaves, Hachimura, Gabe Vincent
-Rozier, D. Robinson, Jovic

While these players don't fix our issues at least we would have more flexibility to flip some assets and have more depth. Of course, like I said again I don't see teams rushing to the Suns to add Beal to their roster anyway.

The more likely scenario is though we'll run it back with our "big three" and make some other trades to improve the roster.

Beal trade or without the Beal trade though first thing I would do is try to trade Nurkic. I was super impressed with him playing 76 games this year and the team looked horrible whenever he's not on the floor. However, the fit is not there. As long as we have our 'big three" our perimeter defence will be lacking and Nurkic is not the guy who can make up their mistakes by being the rim protector. Also, his inability to finish and zero vertical threat as an alley-oop option just make it easier for defences to focus on our perimeter players.

The problem is, that there is pretty much almost no good trade partner for Nurkic. However, I believe maybe one team could be interested in him and that team is Memphis Grizzlies. They traded Steven Adams and they have no actual big on their roster. Next to Jackson Jr., they don't have to worry that much about his lack of rim protection and if you have a good defensive team, he can still be useful on the defensive end. Nurkic is not a Vucevic, he's more like a Valanciunas. He's slow but he has a good basketball IQ and he's not afraid of contact.

I'd pull the trigger if the Grizzlies would agree to swap Nurkic for Marcus Smart tbh. We need some players who are not afraid of anybody including their teammates. He'd bring some much-needed perimeter defence and the hustle this team lacks.

Another team that is a really good trade partner for us is Orlando Magic. I've mentioned them as a good trading partner during the trade deadline as their biggest weakness is their 3PT shooting and WE HAVE SO MANY SHOOTING GUARDS. One of those guards was the best 3PT shooter in the league last season. Grayson played out of his mind but like I said before, I'd sell him when his value is the highest. If I were Magic instead of going after Klay and wasting all of my cap space, I'd simply trade for Allen and spend the rest of my cap space on other needs. (I'm not sure when we can trade Allen as we resigned him recently though?)

G. Allen for Wendell Carter Jr - G. Allen for Isaac - G. Allen for Cole & Bitadze. All of these trades would bring us some defence, size and athleticism.

Other than that I know you guys are not gonna love this and I can't believe I'm also suggesting the idea but somehow flip the 2031 pick + some dudes for Micic and Nik Richards??? I think my fantasy of Micic turning this franchise around is getting to dangerous levels.

I'd also get rid of Gordon I think. I don't like him. Keeping Bol, O'neal, and Thad Young would be nice. Sign PJ Tucker? I don't know lol.

Draft Devin Carter.

After all that rosterbation, I come up with this abomination of a roster. Less 3PT shooting, lack of dependable wings, big depth in question, one less draft pick for the future (but who cares am I right?)

Beal - Smart - Micic
Book - Smart - Carter - Lee
O'Neal - N. Little - Okogie
KD - Bol - Tucker - Thad Young
Wendell Carter Jr - Nik Richards

edit: I have no idea why I posted this to around the nba topic instead of the off-season one but I won't move it. If mods wanna move it, go for it.

If we could get Smart for Nurkic that would be great. Of course we'd have to figure out another C, like you did. As for your Beal scenarios, I might do the 1st one, though I'd have to look more into it. I already thought about the second one but looked up how well Rozier played this year and it wasn't good. Robinson is an ok shooter but he can't really play D...we already have a better player than him in Allen and I don't know that you want to pay 2 role playing shooters each that much. I do expect Beal to mesh better next year. He was probably our best player the final couple weeks of the regular season.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#383 » by dremill24 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:56 am

Spoiler:
bwgood77 wrote:
Stark wrote:After being totally on board with blowing it up aftermath of the disaster Wolves series. Here I am, the trade machine in front of me, thinking of any kind of solution to make this team work with the limited options the Suns have.

I don't think Beal is tradable because of his contract but I believe the first plan should be to try to trade him for some depth and pieces as many suggested before. Lakers, Miami or Warriors (especially if they part ways with Klay) might be crazy enough to give it a shot and Beal might also wanna play for these teams but I see the chances of an actual trade happening very slim.

What would you guys think of trade packages like:

-Reaves, Hachimura, Gabe Vincent
-Rozier, D. Robinson, Jovic

While these players don't fix our issues at least we would have more flexibility to flip some assets and have more depth. Of course, like I said again I don't see teams rushing to the Suns to add Beal to their roster anyway.

The more likely scenario is though we'll run it back with our "big three" and make some other trades to improve the roster.

Beal trade or without the Beal trade though first thing I would do is try to trade Nurkic. I was super impressed with him playing 76 games this year and the team looked horrible whenever he's not on the floor. However, the fit is not there. As long as we have our 'big three" our perimeter defence will be lacking and Nurkic is not the guy who can make up their mistakes by being the rim protector. Also, his inability to finish and zero vertical threat as an alley-oop option just make it easier for defences to focus on our perimeter players.

The problem is, that there is pretty much almost no good trade partner for Nurkic. However, I believe maybe one team could be interested in him and that team is Memphis Grizzlies. They traded Steven Adams and they have no actual big on their roster. Next to Jackson Jr., they don't have to worry that much about his lack of rim protection and if you have a good defensive team, he can still be useful on the defensive end. Nurkic is not a Vucevic, he's more like a Valanciunas. He's slow but he has a good basketball IQ and he's not afraid of contact.

I'd pull the trigger if the Grizzlies would agree to swap Nurkic for Marcus Smart tbh. We need some players who are not afraid of anybody including their teammates. He'd bring some much-needed perimeter defence and the hustle this team lacks.

Another team that is a really good trade partner for us is Orlando Magic. I've mentioned them as a good trading partner during the trade deadline as their biggest weakness is their 3PT shooting and WE HAVE SO MANY SHOOTING GUARDS. One of those guards was the best 3PT shooter in the league last season. Grayson played out of his mind but like I said before, I'd sell him when his value is the highest. If I were Magic instead of going after Klay and wasting all of my cap space, I'd simply trade for Allen and spend the rest of my cap space on other needs. (I'm not sure when we can trade Allen as we resigned him recently though?)

G. Allen for Wendell Carter Jr - G. Allen for Isaac - G. Allen for Cole & Bitadze. All of these trades would bring us some defence, size and athleticism.

Other than that I know you guys are not gonna love this and I can't believe I'm also suggesting the idea but somehow flip the 2031 pick + some dudes for Micic and Nik Richards??? I think my fantasy of Micic turning this franchise around is getting to dangerous levels.

I'd also get rid of Gordon I think. I don't like him. Keeping Bol, O'neal, and Thad Young would be nice. Sign PJ Tucker? I don't know lol.

Draft Devin Carter.

After all that rosterbation, I come up with this abomination of a roster. Less 3PT shooting, lack of dependable wings, big depth in question, one less draft pick for the future (but who cares am I right?)

Beal - Smart - Micic
Book - Smart - Carter - Lee
O'Neal - N. Little - Okogie
KD - Bol - Tucker - Thad Young
Wendell Carter Jr - Nik Richards

edit: I have no idea why I posted this to around the nba topic instead of the off-season one but I won't move it. If mods wanna move it, go for it.

If we could get Smart for Nurkic that would be great. Of course we'd have to figure out another C, like you did. As for your Beal scenarios, I might do the 1st one, though I'd have to look more into it. I already thought about the second one but looked up how well Rozier played this year and it wasn't good. Robinson is an ok shooter but he can't really play D...we already have a better player than him in Allen and I don't know that you want to pay 2 role playing shooters each that much. I do expect Beal to mesh better next year. He was probably our best player the final couple weeks of the regular season.

I think I agree that maybe the Lakers might be into acquiring Beal, but I think theres no way they include Reaves, Beal just doesnt have enough trade value to net him I dont think. Golden State perhaps as well, but they'd have to cut Paul and/or renounce Thompson to be able to aggregate salaries. Miami has shown some interest in the past but they might be over the 2nd apron and unable to aggregate salaries too. I dunno...I think Beal gonna have to stay.

I agree it is potentially conceivable that the Grizz could have some interest in Nurkic, but I find it tough to believe they'd move Smart for him. MAYBE if you throw in the '31 1st and the Grizz are just weirdly done w/ Smart after a lost year where they didnt get to see him with Ja, but that seems far fetched. Could be a world where you can get an Aldama/Z Williams package I guess? Dont think thats doing much for you unless you've revamped aclot of the rest of the roster though. Not too many Nurk destinations either...maybe Brooklyn if they lose Claxton? Even then his deal runs past '25 so might be tough, but maybe theres a DFS swap in there.

I have also pondered a Carter Jr/Allen swap...they need shooting for sure but will they be looking more for some playmaking with their resources as well?

Ditching that '31 1st for guys who arent either proven playoff performers or guys with real potential seems pretty dicey...
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,297

Post#384 » by Frank Lee » Tue May 7, 2024 10:26 am

Yall are dreaming
Nobody is dealing with us without a fleecing. And we’re out of fleece. 29 owners/GMs must salivate every time a new young brash owner/group buys a team. Wishbea is the latest stooge and after his latest presser, a confirmed one.

And here we are talking about a CP resurrection sluffing off Nurkic somewhere, or a monstrous 50 mil Beal shuffle…like it will matter or is even possible. Face it, we are front runners for the likes of Tobias Harris and would be happy with an old hack like Dinwiddy. About the only thing to look forward to is who they eventually trade Allen for once he is eligible.

I dont see much cooperation from the other league swappers in fact, i think just the opposite… and many of the front offices will sit back and watch this train wreck with glee knowing they didnt trade their entire roster for ours. What an aszz

****show coming boys. And the fuse is lit
What ? Me Worry ?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#385 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue May 7, 2024 11:04 am

Hi Frank
B4sketball
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#386 » by B4sketball » Tue May 7, 2024 1:58 pm

Hello, everybody. Long (very long) time fan here.

With Beal, Booker, KD, Nurkic, Allen, Roddy, Wainright, Lee and Little signed for at least next year and the only options of O'Neale and Bol as good players to be resigned, I believe this is what we should do to improve our chances:

- resign O`Neale, resign Bol. They are our only options to have a wide roster with some depth and tall guys.
- find an average back up C. Either Kornet or Quetta of the Celtics could be signed.
- find a defensive, rebounding PF. Brissett of the Celtics could be obtainable, although I hope our people at the office have the ability to find someone better.
- find a back up PG.

How could we find a PG and a PF who can play starting minutes?
- Allen is tradeable after 6 months of signing him.
- Little's contract and our 1st round pick should be enough either to find a PG or a PF.

But more important than all this is finding a coach who can create some kind of working offense without a PG, based on two SGs and a SF who can dribble and shoot over anybody. Not that difficult, unless you are called Frank Vogel.

Beal
Booker
KD
Bol
Nurkic
-----------
PG
Lee
O`Neale
PF
Kornet?
-----------

Brissett
Sunlight
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#387 » by Sunlight » Tue May 7, 2024 3:06 pm

Everyone laughed when the Wolves sold their future in the ridiculous Gobert trade. No more laughing. Instead, the Suns are now being laughed at. Although the Durant trade was supposed to be much better. Situations change quickly. Could coaching be the reason for that?
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#388 » by King4Day » Tue May 7, 2024 3:19 pm

Sunlight wrote:Everyone laughed when the Wolves sold their future in the ridiculous Gobert trade. No more laughing. Instead, the Suns are now being laughed at. Although the Durant trade was supposed to be much better. Situations change quickly. Could coaching be the reason for that?

The Gobert trade was still a fleecing by Utah. Basically like 5 firsts for a guy who wasn't expected to put them over the top. That trade is why the Suns were forced to make an even worse trade (asset wise) for KD.
Now, fast-forwarding 2 years, I'd still say the Suns got the better player, but it's clear the Wolves have the better fit. Also, it helps that Minny has a player who is turning into the new face of the NBA. Had Ant not made the big jump, then people would still say it was a bad trade for them.

All that said, I hope the Wolves win it all. I'd be happy for Conley, Gobert, and Warren
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,139

Post#389 » by handsome salary » Tue May 7, 2024 3:37 pm

Sunlight wrote:Everyone laughed when the Wolves sold their future in the ridiculous Gobert trade. No more laughing. Instead, the Suns are now being laughed at. Although the Durant trade was supposed to be much better. Situations change quickly. Could coaching be the reason for that?

Suns don't have an ANT. Booker is like Towns. The ceiling with them as your main go to guy is a second round exit. If DA had real drive in him he could have been the ANT to Book's Towns but instead he's a Wiggins (and gone).
The TWolves in 10 years get a third try having the number one pick on their roster. Turning out great so far for them. Suns got no hope like that in sight. Durant is way too old to play like an alpha MVP and this team has no youth, too many holes/overlapping strengths and little chemistry or heart. Lots of blank expressions though.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#390 » by sashaturiaf » Tue May 7, 2024 5:18 pm

Goal is simple this offseason, get bigger, get more athletic, and get a point guard (come home CP3).

Whether we can pull it off, consider me a sceptic until proven otherwise.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,656

Post#391 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:20 pm

King4Day wrote:

The Gobert trade was still a fleecing by Utah. Basically like 5 firsts for a guy who wasn't expected to put them over the top. That trade is why the Suns were forced to make an even worse trade (asset wise) for KD.
Now, fast-forwarding 2 years, I'd still say the Suns got the better player, but it's clear the Wolves have the better fit. Also, it helps that Minny has a player who is turning into the new face of the NBA. Had Ant not made the big jump, then people would still say it was a bad trade for them.

All that said, I hope the Wolves win it all. I'd be happy for Conley, Gobert, and Warren

I thought it was kind of a dumb quick reaction that the Gobert trade was that bad. With Ant emerging, and Towns, they would at least be decent, and Gobert solidifies the defense for the foreseeable future. It's different than the KD trade because KD is really old and was extremely injury prone, and we gave up key young players from a finals team who were great for chemistry who Book loved.

I don't imagine the firsts will be that good, as they are still young, particularly with their star in Ant being really young and Towns being pretty young, being from the same draft as Book. Utah did end up getting Kessler with the 22 pick they received, who is pretty solid as well as Vanderbilt who was/is decent, but Gobert is a big time impact player who was underrated at the time.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,968

Post#392 » by Saberestar » Tue May 7, 2024 6:50 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Goal is simple this offseason, get bigger, get more athletic, and get a point guard (come home CP3).

Whether we can pull it off, consider me a sceptic until proven otherwise.

I would add that we need to change our HC.

I gave Vogel the full season to evaluate him and the results were TERRIBLE. I get that players are the direct ones that are responsible for our bad performance but you can't ignore HC's work...for good or for bad.

Stein said that we probably bring him back with new assistants. I don't like the idea, we will see.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,968

Post#393 » by Saberestar » Tue May 7, 2024 6:52 pm

The Phoenix Suns are expected to make a decision on head coach Frank Vogel “soon,” sources have informed The Republic.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2024/05/07/phoenix-suns-frank-vogel-decision/73601073007/
Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 702

Post#394 » by Kyler Murray » Tue May 7, 2024 7:21 pm

B4sketball wrote:Hello, everybody. Long (very long) time fan here.

With Beal, Booker, KD, Nurkic, Allen, Roddy, Wainright, Lee and Little signed for at least next year and the only options of O'Neale and Bol as good players to be resigned, I believe this is what we should do improve our chances:

- resign O`Neale, resign Bol. They are our only options to have a wide roster with some depth and tall guys.
- find an average back up C. Either Kornet or Quetta of the Celtics could be signed.
- find a defensive, rebounding PF. Brissett of the Celtics could be obtainable, although I hope our people at the office have the ability to find someone better.
- find a back up PG.

- Little's contract and our 1st round pick should be enough either to find a PG or a PF.

But more important than all this is finding a coach who can create some kind of working offense without a PG, based on two SGs and a SF who can dribble and shoot over anybody. Not that difficult, unless you are called Frank Vogel.

Beal
Booker
KD
Bol
Nurkic
-----------
PG
Lee
O`Neale
PF
Kornet?
-----------

Brissett

Welcome aboard!
King4Day
RealGM

Post#395 » by King4Day » Tue May 7, 2024 7:23 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
King4Day wrote:

I thought it was kind of a dumb quick reaction that the Gobert trade was that bad. With Ant emerging, and Towns, they would at least be decent, and Gobert solidifies the defense for the foreseeable future. It's different than the KD trade because KD is really old and was extremely injury prone, and we gave up key young players from a finals team who were great for chemistry who Book loved.

I don't imagine the firsts will be that good, as they are still young, particularly with their star in Ant being really young and Towns being pretty young, being from the same draft as Book. Utah did end up getting Kessler with the 22 pick they received, who is pretty solid as well as Vanderbilt who was/is decent, but Gobert is a big time impact player who was underrated at the time.

I don't think anyone would have agreed with this going into the season. Last season, for Minny, is likely how many Suns fans feel right now.

"We just wasted our future for a player who won't be able to help us make the jump afterall"

I do agree, we traded everything for one player. One who was older and more injury prone.
When I woke up to that trade alert, I had a pit in my stomach. Did I want KD? Yes. But not if bridges had to be included. And if he did have to be, not for all the picks we traded. Nevermind CamJo as well as Crowder.
So, seeing our future go to waste, the stress of being a Suns fan became very real. If it doesn't work, there's little point in watching until at least 2031.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#396 » by King4Day » Tue May 7, 2024 7:25 pm

Saberestar wrote:
The Phoenix Suns are expected to make a decision on head coach Frank Vogel “soon,” sources have informed The Republic.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2024/05/07/phoenix-suns-frank-vogel-decision/73601073007/

I hope we keep him. If we're going to play the 'continuity game', then keep the coach for another year. It'll either all come crashing down next season or things will click.
B4sketball
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#397 » by B4sketball » Tue May 7, 2024 9:03 pm

Kyler Murray wrote:
B4sketball wrote:Hello, everybody. Long (very long) time fan here.

With Beal, Booker, KD, Nurkic, Allen, Roddy, Wainright, Lee and Little signed for at least next year and the only options of O'Neale and Bol as good players to be resigned, I believe this is what we should do improve our chances:

- find a back up PG.

Beal
Booker
KD
Bol
Nurkic
-----------
PG
Lee
O`Neale
PF
Kornet?
-----------

Brissett

Welcome aboard!

Thank you very much, man.
I have been here before... a time ago.
Let's see if one and for all we can see some brightness in this Sun's future.

And I don¡t understand how in hell have we not fired Vogel yet?
The fLakers fired Ham within 36 hours of more than a decent elimination against the Nuggets.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#398 » by spanishninja » Tue May 7, 2024 9:15 pm

I wonder if Markelle Fultz would sign with us as a backup PG? He had a pretty significant dropoff this season and I wonder if Orlando wants to develop Anthony Black instead? injury risk though.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,543

Post#399 » by Stix » Tue May 7, 2024 9:45 pm

spanishninja wrote:I wonder if Markelle Fultz would sign with us as a backup PG? He had a pretty significant dropoff this season and I wonder if Orlando wants to develop Anthony Black instead? injury risk though.

Fultz can do better, someone will at least give him an MLE.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#400 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue May 7, 2024 10:03 pm

Stix wrote:
spanishninja wrote:I wonder if Markelle Fultz would sign with us as a backup PG? He had a pretty significant dropoff this season and I wonder if Orlando wants to develop Anthony Black instead? injury risk though.

Fultz can do better, someone will at least give him an MLE.

Banchero & Fultz for Beal, Gordon, Eubanks make it happen Ishbia

Return to Phoenix Suns