ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What WC and EC team are you pulling for in the 2nd round?

Mavs
3%
Nuggets
8%
Thunder
19%
Twolves
20%
Cavs
2%
Celtics
3%
Knicks
19%
Pacers
27%

Total votes: 64

Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,555

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#201 » by Jdiddy701 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:21 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:

Where were you in the playoffs? At least Saber showed up to support this stupid team. But you were nowhere to be found after saying how great this team was and we should be patient. Hmm

Watching Monty Williams highlights. Detroit killed it this year, didn't you see? Monty made that team a monster.

CP3 made Monty entire career without his services Monty would have under 50 wins through his first 10 coaching years. Luckily Paul came to save him in Phoenix as our team won 51 & 64 in consecutive seasons. Some coaches thrive on great pg while others don’t.

I don’t overreact like a majority of you guys do. I’m sure Detroit is looking at the bigger picture, not looking at his first season to determine how good of a coach he is. Things take time.

You asked where was I see in the playoffs? Away from this board, watching the same crap you guys did. I didn’t expect Booker to coast in games 1-3. I still am a believer in this team. It’s easy to walk away and stop watching them but that won’t be me. Ishbia has made some mistakes but I am a believer everyone will figure it out together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sunsfan1o1
Pro Prospect
And1: 766

Post#202 » by sunsfan1o1 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:33 pm

LV-Suns wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would hate to watch Bud head to the Lakers while we're stuck with Vogel. Vogel seems like a square peg we're trying to force into a round hole. His focus has always been on defense, which is great, but our team is packed with high-caliber offensive players who need to be put in their ideal positions. Bud has a track record of leading teams to high-octane offenses, and that's what we need right now.

I understand the Vogel hate and agree, there are better coaches. I also would hate to miss out on an available coach who I think is better than Vogel. However, are we going to keep ignoring how horrible James Jones is as a GM. He’s by far a worse GM than Vogel is a head coach. He has to be top five worse GM in the NBA in the past 10 years. Vogel has a championship. James Jones has so many misses and weird roster construction. We can hire Auberbach, Phil Jackson, Coach K, and God all at the same time to coach the Suns and none of them would win with the trash Jones picks up.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,649

Post#203 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:40 pm

Stix wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
dremill24 wrote:Who is this magical player who is available for only two 1sts that makes less than Nurkic that would actually make a difference?

I'm trying to think of a really old, injury prone, used to be good, C that we could trade Nurkic, Little and our picks for. But I'll have to think about it a little more.

Sounds like Brook Lopez to me.

He'd actually be great, but he's too perfect on that team. He actually contests more shots than anyone in the NBA by a long shot (well the last few years...maybe Wemby is going to get up there..though I think he more deters them). But he also can hit lots of 3s.

Of course he does fit in though being another guy in his late 30s.
sunsfan1o1
Pro Prospect
And1: 766

Post#204 » by sunsfan1o1 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:44 pm

Jones is the Dollar General. The actual store Dollar General. He’s the manager. He has no eye for talent. He just signs people nobody wants because he has no negotiating skills. He couldn’t negotiate the KD trade so Ishbia had to step in and give away too much cuz the GM is trash.

He sucks at drafting. He drafts the weird guy every time. He probably would’ve drafted Scoot over Wemby.

If someone drops in the draft he won’t pick them. But he’ll reach and draft someone earlier. For example Tyrese Haliburton and Cam Johnson.

Vogel isn’t the best coach. But he’s not the problem. If we had a competent GM Vogel and the suns would still be in the playoffs right now.

Head coach doesn’t actually play in the game. How do you build a team of KD, Beal and Booker all offensively gifted players and not think you need a point guard to set them up. Not even a backup.

All the defense has to is play prevent defense all game. Pickup 3/4 court and you’re finished.

Jones needs to be the first to go or else we’ll be doing the same thing next year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,649

Post#205 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:45 pm

Draymond Green, just like most NBA fans, was perplexed by Phoenix Suns president of basketball operations and general manager James Jones claiming no team has ever maximized Kevin Durant's talent.

The Warriors forward addressed Jones' comments during the latest episode of "The Draymond Green Show."

"James Jones said 'A constant focus for us is to continue to figure out and maximize Kevin Durant. No one has done it yet,' " Green said. "I was baffled when I watched James Jones make this comment because, and I get like, you got to see the whole interview, but sometimes when we go down those rabbit holes, we go a little too far."

At that point, Green brings up the fact that Jones was on the 2016-17 Cleveland Cavaliers team that lost the NBA Finals to Durant and Warriors.

"James Jones was on a team in 2017 that lost in the NBA Finals to Kevin Durant and Kevin Durant averaged 35 [points] 8 rebounds and five assists on 55 percent from the field, 47 [percent] from three and 93 percent [free-throw] shooting," Green said. "And when you got your ass bust, like the Cavs got their ass bust, I have a hard time believing that James Jones could then come out and say 'No one has been able to maximize Kevin Durant.' "

"You've been on the wrong side of Kevin Durant being maximized"

Green proceeded to rip the Jones and the Suns, who were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"When your team does not have plays to get Kevin Durant coming off a pin down, get Kevin Durant catching the ball at the elbow with a live dribble, getting Kevin Durant to the spots that Kevin Durant want to get to and like to score from, when you're a team is set up that way," Green said. "I'm sorry. But you didn't maximize Kevin Durant but don't say nobody has maximized Kevin Durant because you've been on the wrong side of Kevin Durant being maximized."

Durant joined the Warriors in 2016 and immediately helped them win back-to-back NBA championships in 2017 and 2018. They reached the NBA Finals in 2019, but Golden State wasn't able to overcome major leg injuries sustained by Durant and Klay Thompson, losing to the Toronto Raptors in six games.

During Durant's three-year Warriors tenure, they arguably played some of the best basketball in recent memory. He averaged 25.8 points, 7.1 rebounds and 5.4 assists on 52.4 percent shooting from the field and 38.4 percent from 3-point range.

Durant left the Warriors in the summer of 2019 for the Brooklyn Nets before forcing a trade to the Suns in Feb. 2023.

Since leaving Golden State, Durant hasn't found the same postseason success, failing to make it past the conference semifinals the last four seasons.

With the Suns' playoff run over earlier than they expected, there has been speculation that Durant might force his way out of Phoenix, with Golden State -- the only place he has won a championship -- being a possible landing spot.

Durant left the Bay Area unhappy with his role, but as NBC Sports Bay Area's Monte Poole wrote, a reunion between the two-time NBA Finals MVP and the Warriors isn't as far-fetched as it seems.

After all, Steve Kerr, Steph Curry and Green certainly know how to maximize Durant's abilities.

https://sports.yahoo.com/draymond-rips-suns-gm-saying-212454503.html
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,440

Post#206 » by sunskerr » Fri May 3, 2024 11:01 pm

Rob Golden State for all they're worth lol. Every single thing they have.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,644

Post#207 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri May 3, 2024 11:01 pm

sunsfan1o1 wrote:Jones is the Dollar General. The actual store Dollar General. He’s the manager. He has no eye for talent. He just signs people nobody wants because he has no negotiating skills. He couldn’t negotiate the KD trade so Ishbia had to step in and give away too much cuz the GM is trash.

He sucks at drafting. He drafts the weird guy every time. He probably would’ve drafted Scoot over Wemby.

If someone drops in the draft he won’t pick them. But he’ll reach and draft someone earlier. For example Tyrese Haliburton and Cam Johnson.

Vogel isn’t the best coach. But he’s not the problem. If we had a competent GM Vogel and the suns would still be in the playoffs right now.

Head coach doesn’t actually play in the game. How do you build a team of KD, Beal and Booker all offensively gifted players and not think you need a point guard to set them up. Not even a backup.

All the defense has to is play prevent defense all game. Pickup 3/4 court and you’re finished.

Jones needs to be the first to go or else we’ll be doing the same thing next year.

If Jones doesn’t get canned in the offseason I will not watch a single Suns game. Just scoreboard and highlights. He has set Suns back for a decade and I refuse to watch a horrible GM ruin this team further.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#208 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri May 3, 2024 11:05 pm

I had a dream Suns have hired Mike Budenholzer As their next head coach in the offseason. I had a dream…
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#209 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri May 3, 2024 11:11 pm

sunskerr wrote:Rob Golden State for all they're worth lol. Every single thing they have.

Image ImageImageImage
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,543

Post#210 » by Stix » Fri May 3, 2024 11:28 pm

dremill24 wrote:
Stix wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I'm trying to think of a really old, injury prone, used to be good, C that we could trade Nurkic, Little and our picks for. But I'll have to think about it a little more.

Sounds like Brook Lopez to me.

Lopez makes $23mil next season, which is more thank Nurkic makes, and you cant add Little, so hes out. (and that doesnt even take into consideration whether Milwaukee would want to give him up for what we have).

Yeah I missed that part about salary.

One C that has been brought up in the past and in other threads is Nick Richards which I thought would've been great to acquire for Little at the deadline, but it didn't happen so they must value him a lot.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,543

Post#211 » by Stix » Fri May 3, 2024 11:29 pm

I find it so infuriating that the Ishbia and Jones said we didn't have enough time to gel as a team when Dallas literally picked up Gafford and Washington at the deadline and finished ahead of us.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#212 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri May 3, 2024 11:32 pm

Stix wrote:I find it so infuriating that the Ishbia and Jones said we didn't have enough time to gel as a team when Dallas literally picked up Gafford and Washington at the deadline and finished ahead of us.

Well said Stix!!!
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,804

Post#213 » by thamadkant » Fri May 3, 2024 11:42 pm

Magic is a good trading partner for retool and rebuild.

Lakers firing coaches every time LeBron fails is another proof why LeBron is unlikeable. He pretty much coaches the team offensively and picks his team mates.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 6,002

Post#214 » by kennydorglas » Fri May 3, 2024 11:45 pm

We either hire a great coach/GM NOW or just start a rebuilding. There's no middle ground.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,800

Post#215 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 3, 2024 11:52 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:The reason Vogel hasn’t been fired is because the Suns don’t know who could possibility replace him. It sounds like Ty Lue will be extended with the Clippers, so who else is available? I FEEL like JJ Reddick will be a good coach, but it could turn out so bad if he’s not. We might just stick with Vogel honestly. The Suns are screwed with Vogel if so. I have always got a fake vibe from Vogel, when I read the players thought the same, I was laughing so hard.

We should have never let go of Monty honestly. One thing I respect the hell outta Monty is that he held his players accountable. This team desperately needs that. I think JJ Reddick would do the same.

For those saying blow it up, you can’t do that when you don’t control your picks. The Suns are not going to blow it up and they shouldn’t.

Monty was absolute dog **** JD

Every coach is dog ish according to you guys.

That response is Dogsh**....LOL..........J/K! even if it is somewhat right. But honestly, Monty was a hell of a great human being but an obviously lousy and overrated coach. We had a losing record with him before Paul got here, and he's got a losing record again without Paul. That's the common factor. Was terrible with his rotations unless your name was Shamet or Cam Payne. Wouldn't use a timeout to save his life! And his most well-known trait was sitting on the sidelines with a puzzled and uncomfortable IBS expression on his face. And that accountability everyone talks about? That must be why our team was so mentally fragile in the Mavs game wherein we got beaten down historically badly. But hey, what do I know, maybe that's just his interpretation of accountability, when the whole team gives up, at least they do it together as a team!! completely giving up together! And fold quicker than soft tissue paper. It's really a great look honestly! Now that's camaraderie. But in fairness, it might've not completely been his fault! I mean when people get too happy on the farm, then the farm becomes more of a funny farm. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,800

Post#216 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 3, 2024 11:55 pm

SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#217 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 4, 2024 12:00 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
Monty was absolute dog **** JD

Every coach is dog ish according to you guys.

That response is Dogsh**....LOL..........J/K! even if it is somewhat right. But honestly, Monty was a hell of a great human being but an obviously lousy and overrated coach. We had a losing record with him before Paul got here, and he's got a losing record again without Paul. That's the common factor. Was terrible with his rotations unless your name was Shamet or Cam Payne. Wouldn't use a timeout to save his life! And his most well-known trait was sitting on the sidelines with a puzzled and uncomfortable IBS expression on his face. And that accountability everyone talks about? That must be why our team was so mentally fragile in the Mavs game wherein we got beaten down historically badly. But hey, what do I know, maybe that's just his interpretation of accountability, when the whole team gives up, at least they do it together as a team!! completely giving up together! And fold quicker than soft tissue paper. It's really a great look honestly! Now that's camaraderie. But in fairness, it might've not completely been his fault! I mean when people get too happy on the farm, then the farm becomes more of a funny farm. :D

I’ll just copy and paste this again.

“ CP3 made Monty entire career without his services Monty would have under 50 wins through his first 10 coaching years. Luckily Paul came to save him in Phoenix as our team won 51 & 64 in consecutive seasons. Some coaches thrive on great pg while others don’t.”

Monty is not even a top 15 coach in the NBA. CP3 made him into a top 5 coach but without Paul Monty is average at best.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,303

Post#218 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 12:12 am

kennydorglas wrote:We either hire a great coach/GM NOW or just start a rebuilding. There's no middle ground.

We can't tank, we don't have our picks.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,303

Post#219 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 12:15 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:

I watch that show as often as I can and generally agree with them on a lot. But Nick is a Lebron stan and as such he's a LAL homer. Any other team is seen through "how does this effect Bron?"

Brou has good basketball knowledge, but I feel he holding bitterness from when he used to actually work in the league and had connections.
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,425

Post#220 » by mkot » Sat May 4, 2024 12:30 am

Stix wrote:I find it so infuriating that the Ishbia and Jones said we didn't have enough time to gel as a team when Dallas literally picked up Gafford and Washington at the deadline and finished ahead of us.

They didn't make the post season the year they traded for Kyrie. It took them more than a year to figure out how to play with each other. The Gafford and Washington trades are smart moves on the margin that push them to the next level.

Not saying we should copy them and keep Book, KD and Beal and make smart moves on the margin this offseason and before the the next trade deadline, but I don't think you can compare adding Beal to the Suns re-building roster to adding Gafford and Washington to a 90% finished product.

Return to Phoenix Suns