ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What WC and EC team are you pulling for in the 2nd round?

Mavs
3%
Nuggets
8%
Thunder
19%
Twolves
20%
Cavs
2%
Celtics
3%
Knicks
19%
Pacers
27%

Total votes: 64

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,651

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#121 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:27 pm

Ishbia is just going to drive away more fans with that nonsense. He is mocking fans? What an idiot. As long as I've been a fan it would be hard to be "out" but damn, it's VERY hard to have any excitement for the future, especially with an owner like this who just bought the team. As much as I didn't like Sarver, I didn't complain a lot about him because I really liked where our team was at the time it sold. Were very competitive, had a pretty young core, and all our draft picks. Now, just a couple years later it looks SO bleak.

All that being said, if we can somehow end up with Lue, given the circumstance we find ourselves in, he is exactly the type of coach we need. Players listen to him, even star players. And if ours don't, then the team is a completely lost cause.

The fact they are so delusional to think they will unlock the best KD ever at his age is ridiculous.

I think with Houston improving and Memphis getting healthy with Ja, Bane, Smart, Kennard and Clarke back along with JJJ, and emerging rookie GG Jackson, 2nd year player Vince Williams and the 7th pick (which could move up), it will be even tougher to make the playoffs.

The Kings should get better too, and the Warriors already missed. Even if the Lakers fade, you have Houston and Memphis right there. Utah has 2 picks in the top 9 too, and SA has Wemby in his 2nd year and the 5th draft slot (could very well move up).

What teams ahead of us will get worse? Maybe the Clips..and maybe the Lakers behind us, but Houston, Sac, Memphis, Utah and SA will all get better. And we already struggled with Sac, Utah and SA this year.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,006

Post#122 » by TeamTragic » Thu May 2, 2024 7:01 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Ishbia is just going to drive away more fans with that nonsense. He is mocking fans? What an idiot. As long as I've been a fan it would be hard to be "out" but damn, it's VERY hard to have any excitement for the future, especially with an owner like this who just bought the team. As much as I didn't like Sarver, I didn't complain a lot about him because I really liked where our team was at the time it sold. Were very competitive, had a pretty young core, and all our draft picks. Now, just a couple years later it looks SO bleak.

All that being said, if we can somehow end up with Lue, given the circumstance we find ourselves in, he is exactly the type of coach we need. Players listen to him, even star players. And if ours don't, then the team is a completely lost cause.

The fact they are so delusional to think they will unlock the best KD ever at his age is ridiculous.

I think with Houston improving and Memphis getting healthy with Ja, Bane, Smart, Kennard and Clarke back along with JJJ, and emerging rookie GG Jackson, 2nd year player Vince Williams and the 7th pick (which could move up), it will be even tougher to make the playoffs.

The Kings should get better too, and the Warriors already missed. Even if the Lakers fade, you have Houston and Memphis right there. Utah has 2 picks in the top 9 too, and SA has Wemby in his 2nd year and the 5th draft slot (could very well move up).

What teams ahead of us will get worse? Maybe the Clips..and maybe the Lakers behind us, but Houston, Sac, Memphis, Utah and SA will all get beter. And we already struggled with Sac, Utah and SA this year.

What seed did you predict for the SUNS before the season started?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#123 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:10 pm

TeamTragic wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Ishbia is just going to drive away more fans with that nonsense. He is mocking fans? What an idiot. As long as I've been a fan it would be hard to be "out" but damn, it's VERY hard to have any excitement for the future, especially with an owner like this who just bought the team. As much as I didn't like Sarver, I didn't complain a lot about him because I really liked where our team was at the time it sold. Were very competitive, had a pretty young core, and all our draft picks. Now, just a couple years later it looks SO bleak.

What teams ahead of us will get worse? Maybe the Clips..and maybe the Lakers behind us, but Houston, Sac, Memphis, Utah and SA will all get beter. And we already struggled with Sac, Utah and SA this year.

I can't remember, but basically figured we could finish anywhere from maybe 1-6, but I also thought it was a stretch to think KD would be healthy all year, given he'd averaged like 37 games a year the previous 4 years. Had I known he would be healthy the entire year, I would have figured top 4 at least, but also figured we had like a 2 year window and that it didn't look too good after that.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,006

Post#124 » by TeamTragic » Thu May 2, 2024 7:12 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:

I can't remember, but basically figured we could finish anywhere from maybe 1-6, but I also thought it was a stretch to think KD would be healthy all year, given he'd averaged like 37 games a year the previous 4 years. Had I known he would be healthy the entire year, I would have figured top 4 at least, but also figured we had like a 2 year window and that it didn't look too good after that.

Do you think we have a higher seed if Beal isn't basically injured the entire season?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#125 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:17 pm

TeamTragic wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:

Do you think we have a higher seed if Beal isn't basically injured the entire season?

Probably, since we were 1 game behind Dallas and 2 behind the Clips, but Luka and Kyrie missed a lot of games and Harden wasn't there the whole year in LA and they went 0-5 when he joined before Lue got him to buy in. Dallas also completely rested all their players the last two games after winning 16 of 18. If they were also healthy and didn't rest at the end, I think they still finish higher and maybe they get 4 and we get 5. I think we just really miss the glue guys like Mikal and Cam, along with the chemistry they brought, but Allen helped with that. I don't expect him to shoot 46% from 3 again though. Who knows if we can even keep O'Neale.

Ish also mocks draft picks and a beat writer posted to not get too attached to our 24 pick. The thing is, we can't just trade a pick for a player because we have no cap space. We will probably trade something like Little and our pick for Bojan or something, who is like 38.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,644

Post#126 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 2, 2024 7:19 pm

TeamTragic wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:

We were only a couple games behind the Clippers with Beal missing 25+ games. So, if he was healthier we probably take Clippers spot as the 4th seed which gives us a first round matchup of Clips/Mavs. Either way we were doomed from the start. Every playoff team sweeps us besides Lakers & Pels series.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#127 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:27 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

We were only a couple games behind the Clippers with Beal missing 25+ games. So, if he was healthier we probably take Clippers spot as the 4th seed which gives us a first round matchup of Clips/Mavs. Either way we were doomed from the start. Every playoff team sweeps us besides Lakers & Pels series.

Yeah, Dallas stars missed a lot of games too and rested their players for their final 2, so we probably end up 4 or 5 and play them, but the way that they are playing, we would have had zero chance beating them. They at least add some rookies and young players like Lively.

It's amazing Derrick Jones Jr keeps bouncing around and starting on good teams since we let him go.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,747

Post#128 » by Revived » Thu May 2, 2024 7:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:What teams ahead of us will get worse? Maybe the Clips..and maybe the Lakers behind us, but Houston, Sac, Memphis, Utah and SA will all get better. And we already struggled with Sac, Utah and SA this year.

“What teams ahead of us will get worse?” What do you mean, according to Ishbia there’s only 3 teams better than the Suns in the NBA going forward

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#129 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:48 pm

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:What teams ahead of us will get worse? Maybe the Clips..and maybe the Lakers behind us, but Houston, Sac, Memphis, Utah and SA will all get better. And we already struggled with Sac, Utah and SA this year.

“What teams ahead of us will get worse?” What do you mean, according to Ishbia there’s only 3 teams better than the Suns in the NBA going forward

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

It's funny, because I did a poll once asking which teams would you trade all of our players and picks for all of their players and picks, and listed 10 teams in the west. I think I answered all of them, and they all got votes, the leader being OKC.

I think there are about 26 teams that wouldn't. I'm not sure about all the CA teams and Portland, and maybe a few eastern teams, but there are not many. Even a team like Charlotte has some good young exciting players in LaMelo and Miller. Maybe Washington or Miami, but if our players and picks went to Miami and had Spoelstra, they'd be a lot better. The have Bam too who is young,Herro, and that rookie, so they probably wouldn't.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,966

Post#130 » by Saberestar » Thu May 2, 2024 7:49 pm

garrick wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
garrick wrote:

I'm not a Stephen A Smith fan but he's absolutely correct.

The duo of JJ and Ishbia are delusional and refusing to acknowledge reality.

This is what happens when you refuse constructive criticism and think you can never do any wrong.

Yeah, I agree with everything that Stephen A Smith said on this video.

Ishbia and James Jones DIDN'T NEED to make a press conference at all. They didn't need to say nothing, just some letter on X would have been enough for the fans.

But they wanted to make that press conference and they said some unprofessional comments.

NO WAY you can guarantee at this early that your starting five will be back next year after a swept in the first round ...that comment is false or dumb.

Or that statement about Book being a Suns player for the next 10 years. And the list goes on and on...

Hopefully it's all free talk and changes will be made because this team underperformed badly, no doubt about it.

First and foremost I want a coaching change.
I gave Frank Vogel a full year and my conclusion is that I don't want him back next year. He can go with Drew "best backup C in the world" Eubanks to another franchise.

I'm sure they're hearing all the negative talk about the Suns sweep and they felt like they had to justify themselves to the public like they aren't totally clueless or over their heads and that they actually have a solid plan in place.

I want to clarify one thing:

Ishbia says that "our starting five is coming back" in the context of saying that we have them under contract, we control them. He says that other good temas will lose players this summer in FA and other stuff.

That's important, I didn't hear it directly from him the first time that I commented about it.

You can hear it at the end of this video. That's good to know IMO.

Read on Twitter
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#131 » by Biff » Thu May 2, 2024 7:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ishbia coping hard. Seeing this guy respond in this way does not give me confidence for the future. This man is as big of an idiot as Sarver, seems pretty clear.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,100

Post#132 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu May 2, 2024 8:07 pm

bwgood77 wrote:It's amazing Derrick Jones Jr keeps bouncing around and starting on good teams since we let him go.

My calls are all over the place and I change my mind a lot, but I recall arguing he was better than Josh Jackson before the draft. I remember hearing all the chatter about Jackson's athleticism and being like, did y'all watch Suns games this year? This kid DJJ can straight up FLY!

Of course I indulged in the hopium later on. Man, I gave Ryan McDonough so much rope. Figured this guy must know more than I do sitting behind my computer screen. Those years taught me that FOs aren't special. There's rarely any secret information, method or plan in place.

If Ish had one, he'd STFU about it. Since he doesn't, he could either admit it, face facts and start moving forward, or... pretend.

I fear this man's hubris will to turn what would be some bleak years into a damned era. Sad.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#133 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 2, 2024 8:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:

Yeah, Dallas stars missed a lot of games too and rested their players for their final 2, so we probably end up 4 or 5 and play them, but the way that they are playing, we would have had zero chance beating them. They at least add some rookies and young players like Lively.

It's amazing Derrick Jones Jr keeps bouncing around and starting on good teams since we let him go.

Derrick Jones JR learned a lot playing three years from Spo and now is flourishing on the Mavs, the two teams with great owners who care about winning. He also played a couple years with the bulls, but I doubt that means much. It’s great when you have great owners/coaches who can help certain players utilize their game. I think if DJJ stuck around under Monty he would still be somewhat effective cause of ball movement & CP3 easy dimes. I mean we aren’t talking about Vogel here, right?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#134 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 2, 2024 8:31 pm

Biff wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ishbia coping hard. Seeing this guy respond in this way does not give me confidence for the future. This man is as big of an idiot as Sarver, seems pretty clear.

Inflated ego due to being filthy rich. My gosh I’ve never witnessed such an atrocity in my lifetimes. All jokes aside, please Biff go back into the future and find some dirt on him.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#135 » by enigmatics » Thu May 2, 2024 8:32 pm

I was watching to a Chris Broussard and Rob Parker clip earlier today. It wasn't even about the Suns - it was about LeBron's future with the Lakers. No, I'm not about to say LeDouchetard is gonna be Sun lol. They brought up an interesting point though - one I think is somewhat relevant right now.

I know some fans are angry with Ishbia and that almost gas lighter of a presser he gave with JJ. Some are asking why the even held it in the first place. Why does "Yimmy" Jones (Cowboys owner) do it even after all the playoff failures they keep enduring?

Two words: They're relevant. Win or fail Suns are still heavily in the spotlight and that's ultimately what ownership wants aside from wins and banners.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#136 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 2, 2024 8:33 pm

Also fellas, if Texas Rangers hold on to win I’ll win my third straight parlay of the week. 2 teamer, followed by 3 teamer, ending with two teamer this morning (Marlins & Rangers). 400+ profit here I come if it hold on. Hope I didn’t jinx myself. Hehe.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,143

Post#137 » by sunsbg » Thu May 2, 2024 8:43 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:Derrick Jones JR learned a lot playing three years from Spo and now is flourishing on the Mavs, the two teams with great owners who care about winning. He also played a couple years with the bulls, but I doubt that means much. It’s great when you have great owners/coaches who can help certain players utilize their game. I think if DJJ stuck around under Monty he would still be somewhat effective cause of ball movement & CP3 easy dimes. I mean we aren’t talking about Vogel here, right?

Under Vogel star players underperform and role players can't find their role and get released mid-season. Hopefully Clippers lose and Lue becomes available.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,966

Post#138 » by Saberestar » Thu May 2, 2024 8:47 pm

I think that we are gonna trade our 2031 RFP, James Jones here talks about trying to win "today, tomorrow and in the next 12 months".

It's interesting that he mentions Book, KD, Brad, Grayson, Royce and Gordon and running it back but he doesn't talk about Nurkic.

Read on Twitter
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#139 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 2, 2024 8:53 pm

At least if you’re bringing similar team next year get rid of our coach and three players which are Eubanks, Nurkic, Gordon. Those players do absolutely nothing in the playoffs. We at least have a shot at going 6/7 games in a playoff series by cutting out certain players.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,143

Post#140 » by sunsbg » Thu May 2, 2024 9:07 pm

Why would Jones care about '31 draft. Or Booker and KD. Jones will get fired by then even if Ishbia is responsible for everything. KD retired. Book on his way too, likely on another team. That's why saying Book's been let down by FO is naive. He's at center of all decisions, directly or indirectly.

This 7th grader quote was used by both Ishbia and Jones apparently. Seems they are equally dumb as they make it sound like 7th graders are being drafted. Low IQ both on the court and off the court. Not good.

Return to Phoenix Suns